Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm interested in what the various churches represented here teach on tithing.

same my pastor hasn't taught on it in a while tbh mainly cause wasn't led to teach I guess/ people tend to give anyway. I do have my own view on the need for tithing though based off scriptural study but I am curious as to how others view it and will keep up with this thread if any reply.

It's a requirement at our church though to at least give tenth and any higher if led, just never had a lesson recently on why it's been a while and before I was saved I can't say I payed attention so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

My church, FBC Pasadena , teaches that the tithe is the LORD's and recommends that everyone should tithe, however, me personally, I believe and practice 2 Corinthians 9:6-7,

6 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.​

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't trust Churches or really even good charitable organizations with my money, how much of it is going toward their employ or of their executives going out to eat a some five star restaurant for example... I can't afford to go out to eat much at all, so, why should I pay for them too... That's just one minor example... Not to mention all the other, much more obvious abuses of poor people's money goes to some of their employ to live like rich or even middle class people... Why should I give them money for that when I am poor...? I don't trust them or think they are very responsible either...

I give to people who are poor directly, with my own two hands, I don't trust anything else...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This is what the Bible states and where the 10% tithe comes from:
I still take the 10% (sometimes more than that) I would normally tithe and give it to the poor people around me or that I run into directly, I don't trust anything or anyone else in this world the way it is and is set-up with it...

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I still take the 10% (sometimes more than that) I would normally tithe and give it to the poor people around me or that I run into directly, I don't trust anything or anyone else in this world the way it is and is set-up with it...

Well that is the original point, as long as God is Honored with it. But it was vary interesting to understand were that 10% comes from.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Well that is the original point, as long as God is Honored with it. But it was vary interesting to understand were that 10% comes from.
Yes, it was, thanks for sharing that...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
same my pastor hasn't taught on it in a while tbh mainly cause wasn't led to teach I guess/ people tend to give anyway. I do have my own view on the need for tithing though based off scriptural study but I am curious as to how others view it and will keep up with this thread if any reply.

It's a requirement at our church though to at least give tenth and any higher if led, just never had a lesson recently on why it's been a while and before I was saved I can't say I payed attention so.
If your church is making it a requirement then it is not a free-will offering but a requirement to observe a Jewish Old Covenant principle.

The reason for tithing for the Jews is that is the way they paid their "inland revenue". When the Romans took over, Jews paid tithe to their own Temple, whose leaders were effectively the government, and tax to the Romans. I don't know if King Herod exacted taxes from the people.

We pay our taxes to the government. That is the modern equivalent of the tithe. There is nothing in the New Testament that required or requires Gentile believers to pay tithes. Tithes were paid to the Jewish Temple authorities, so Gentiles never did that.

Paul taught that people should contribute to the work of God as they are able. That means that if they can afford to give generously, they should. If they could only give a little, they should do that. Paul never taught that people who did not give generously were serving God any less than those who did. His basic teaching about giving was, "Give what you can afford to give." He told Ananias and Saphyra that it was their money and they could do with as they liked. It wasn't the amount they gave in relation to the full amount they sold their land for, it was because they made out they were giving the whole when in reality they were keeping back part of it. They were punished for lying, and not giving the whole price of their land.

There are churches in my country that are pressuring people into paying 10 percent when they are so low paid they cannot afford to put food on the table for their families. In spite of not being able to pay their rent, bills and food, they are pressured into paying their "tithe" even though their children have to go hungry. I think that pressure is criminal and is not inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is inspired by a demon of greed in the leadership of that church.

God always finances His will, and the miracle of provision for a church and its ministry is that people give freely what they can afford without making themselves bankrupt and their families going hungry, and still the money flows in to finance everything they need to do to effectively preach the gospel.

If there is not enough finance to keep a church running and the leadership has to pressure people to tithe, then I seriously wonder if that church should continue to exist. Maybe they are functioning contrary to God's will for them. If the leadership prayed and sought the will of God, and then entered into it, they might find their finances might improve markedly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was once speaking in a conference and I made the remark that because I am Presbyterian (ie: from a church that originated in Scotland), I have to be careful about opening my wallet so my pet moth doesn't fly out of it. Afteward I got this serious lecture from a pastor about the necessity of tithing. I actually felt guilty for around 10 seconds. I don't tithe. I give the amount I choose, when and where I choose. I don't believe in the prosperity lie that if I give large amounts of money to some religious organisation I will get all these material blessings from the Lord. But at the same time, someone who joins a gym or sports club they have to pray a subscription, or the parents of a school child to pay school fees, I guess that if people want their church to continue without getting into the red, then those who afford it can give.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If your church is making it a requirement then it is not a free-will offering but a requirement to observe a Jewish Old Covenant principle.

The reason for tithing for the Jews is that is the way they paid their "inland revenue". When the Romans took over, Jews paid tithe to their own Temple, whose leaders were effectively the government, and tax to the Romans. I don't know if King Herod exacted taxes from the people.

We pay our taxes to the government. That is the modern equivalent of the tithe. There is nothing in the New Testament that required or requires Gentile believers to pay tithes. Tithes were paid to the Jewish Temple authorities, so Gentiles never did that.

Paul taught that people should contribute to the work of God as they are able. That means that if they can afford to give generously, they should. If they could only give a little, they should do that. Paul never taught that people who did not give generously were serving God any less than those who did. His basic teaching about giving was, "Give what you can afford to give." He told Ananias and Saphyra that it was their money and they could do with as they liked. It wasn't the amount they gave in relation to the full amount they sold their land for, it was because they made out they were giving the whole when in reality they were keeping back part of it. They were punished for lying, and not giving the whole price of their land.

There are churches in my country that are pressuring people into paying 10 percent when they are so low paid they cannot afford to put food on the table for their families. In spite of not being able to pay their rent, bills and food, they are pressured into paying their "tithe" even though their children have to go hungry. I think that pressure is criminal and is not inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is inspired by a demon of greed in the leadership of that church.

God always finances His will, and the miracle of provision for a church and its ministry is that people give freely what they can afford without making themselves bankrupt and their families going hungry, and still the money flows in to finance everything they need to do to effectively preach the gospel.

If there is not enough finance to keep a church running and the leadership has to pressure people to tithe, then I seriously wonder if that church should continue to exist. Maybe they are functioning contrary to God's will for them. If the leadership prayed and sought the will of God, and then entered into it, they might find their finances might improve markedly.

You very wrongly interpreted my statement... I can't blame you though I didn't say much.

First of all I never stated I don't understand biblically why tithing is tithing and such, just that my pastor has never taught on it in a while....and I figured this would clarify that he isn't tracking each person down to make sure they pay their tithes..since he hasn't taught on it in a while but it wasn't enough to assume that I guess.

I agree in acts 5 ananias and saph could have given less and not lied to the holy ghost and would have been forgiven and not uh not faced that horrific death... but I'm not sure how that goes against tithing, the others gave a lot I mean. All throughout the bible tithing is a good thing and a commandment as well. He doesn't go around forcing people to pay, but it's kind of like praying every day, something you should do if you want to increase in your walk.

Now the NT really hits on something known as offering, as well as a sort of you reap what you sow principle, but you still see mentions of tithes in corinthians for example.

Additionally as I mentioned earlier 10% isn't as much as people make it out to be tbh, for example I work a part time job not making that much and 10% isn't that much out of my over all pay check, I mean if I can pay off tithes with how much I make... yeah. I mean you keep 90%, we should be glad God doesn't ask for more low key though. He can cause he owns us but he chose out of kindness to set a tenth.

But to add on to that my pastor doesn't go around saying where is your 10%...I feel you got the wrong impression of my statement, he just expects people in the church and church leaders to pay at least 10%, and I don't see anything wrong with this principle. The bible says in corinthians that the lord has ordained that they that preach the gospel should live the gospel. I want my leaders doing as I do as well.

My dad is a deacon and he follows this also....now sure he makes good money... but 10% or higher out of any check is a lot. Even if you are worth 200 million dollars for example 10% is a good chunk. And if someone is in a situation where they are making low pay and have children the church is willing to help out, we do that all the time, in fact we never sell food in the church as some churches do as well. The gospel is free!

But yeah I admit when I first read your reply I a little bit offended, if you rated my offense on a 1-10 scale would be a 2.5 maybe, but then I realized my comment on the thread was short and there was a number of conclusions you could come to as a result so was on me.

Anyway though.. 10%.. I mean I just don't see a reason to give less unl

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was once speaking in a conference and I made the remark that because I am Presbyterian (ie: from a church that originated in Scotland), I have to be careful about opening my wallet so my pet moth doesn't fly out of it. Afteward I got this serious lecture from a pastor about the necessity of tithing. I actually felt guilty for around 10 seconds. I don't tithe. I give the amount I choose, when and where I choose. I don't believe in the prosperity lie that if I give large amounts of money to some religious organisation I will get all these material blessings from the Lord. But at the same time, someone who joins a gym or sports club they have to pray a subscription, or the parents of a school child to pay school fees, I guess that if people want their church to continue without getting into the red, then those who afford it can give.

You maybe missing the point, I do not give because I want something, a Church to continue or to get some sort of blessing, but out of gratitude for what He has given. If God gives you everything, then everything you have is His and He lets you use 90% of it.

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for the feedback so far...

What brought this up was a compare and contrast...

We had been going to a church for about a year that we enjoyed...good praise and worship, and the sermons are Biblically based...but they placed a very strong emphasis on tithing, and it was a bit uncomfortable. Not saying they were forcing people to pay a tithe...but more that they harped on it every Sunday, and I never agreed with this.

The last two weeks we've been visiting another church, and the pastor is preaching a series on Christian generosity. His approach seems to be more Biblical, IMO...he was speaking about how your giving doesn't have to be monetary...how it could be time, or skill, or donating things you don't need, etc...he also said it didn't necessarily have to go to the local church...that your generosity should be spread where God leads you to do so.

Also, the old church we had been attending...the pastor drives a Hummer, has a new Harley and a nice big house...bought his daughter a Mercedes...I don't know...I'm not opposed to someone doing well for themselves...but I have a problem with the pastor living better than the people he's serving...when we're all driving used Fords and Toyotas and you have a Hummer it makes me scratch my head...

As for the pastor at the church we visited the last couple of weeks...not sure which car is his...but I sure didn't see anything flashy in the parking lot...

• Agree
Reactions: mcarmichael
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for the feedback so far...

What brought this up was a compare and contrast...

We had been going to a church for about a year that we enjoyed...good praise and worship, and the sermons are Biblically based...but they placed a very strong emphasis on tithing, and it was a bit uncomfortable. Not saying they were forcing people to pay a tithe...but more that they harped on it every Sunday, and I never agreed with this.

The last two weeks we've been visiting another church, and the pastor is preaching a series on Christian generosity. His approach seems to be more Biblical, IMO...he was speaking about how your giving doesn't have to be monetary...how it could be time, or skill, or donating things you don't need, etc...he also said it didn't necessarily have to go to the local church...that your generosity should be spread where God leads you to do so.

Also, the old church we had been attending...the pastor drives a Hummer, has a new Harley and a nice big house...bought his daughter a Mercedes...I don't know...I'm not opposed to someone doing well for themselves...but I have a problem with the pastor living better than the people he's serving...when we're all driving used Fords and Toyotas and you have a Hummer it makes me scratch my head...

As for the pastor at the church we visited the last couple of weeks...not sure which car is his...but I sure didn't see anything flashy in the parking lot...
Yes, very good, that is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about...

I'm looking for a good church right now, and, if I find one, I'm not against say, dropping a 20 dollar bill in the collection plate, but, I will still give to the poor and homeless I see and run across everyday in my community as well, though...

I'm not comfortable giving any money to televangelists though...

I have given money to my local KLove radio station though, cause I like to promote the spread of good Christian music in the world, and I may start doing that regularly again, as soon as I can, that is...

God Bless!

Reactions: Big Drew
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, very good, that is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about...

I'm looking for a good church right now, and, if I find one, I'm not against say, dropping a 20 dollar bill in the collection plate, but, I will still give to the poor and homeless I see and run across everyday in my community as well, though...

I'm not comfortable giving any money to televangelists though...

I have given money to my local KLove radio station though, cause I like to promote the spread of good Christian music in the world, and I may start doing that regularly again, as soon as I can, that is...

God Bless!
I totally believe that if one attends a church regularly that they should help support it monetarily...obviously we go to a church because we feel lead to be there, and are at least mostly in agreement with what it teaches and practices...if the pastor is full time, he has to earn a living wage...the utilities have to be paid, there may be a mortgage...hopefully the church is sponsoring missionaries and local outreach...

But, say I have $100 to give...maybe I only give $50 to the church, and then I see someone stranded on the side of the road...I put $20 in their gas tank...then I see a child with no coat, so I go to Walmart and spend the other $30 on this...to me these things mean just as much to God as giving to the local church...and in some instances, more, since we know that it's being used to help someone in need.

Glad to see we're in agreement.

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I totally believe that if one attends a church regularly that they should help support it monetarily...obviously we go to a church because we feel lead to be there, and are at least mostly in agreement with what it teaches and practices...if the pastor is full time, he has to earn a living wage...the utilities have to be paid, there may be a mortgage...hopefully the church is sponsoring missionaries and local outreach...

But, say I have $100 to give...maybe I only give $50 to the church, and then I see someone stranded on the side of the road...I put $20 in their gas tank...then I see a child with no coat, so I go to Walmart and spend the other $30 on this...to me these things mean just as much to God as giving to the local church...and in some instances, more, since we know that it's being used to help someone in need.

Glad to see we're in agreement.
Yes, thanks,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You very wrongly interpreted my statement... I can't blame you though I didn't say much.

First of all I never stated I don't understand biblically why tithing is tithing and such, just that my pastor has never taught on it in a while....and I figured this would clarify that he isn't tracking each person down to make sure they pay their tithes..since he hasn't taught on it in a while but it wasn't enough to assume that I guess.

I agree in acts 5 ananias and saph could have given less and not lied to the holy ghost and would have been forgiven and not uh not faced that horrific death... but I'm not sure how that goes against tithing, the others gave a lot I mean. All throughout the bible tithing is a good thing and a commandment as well. He doesn't go around forcing people to pay, but it's kind of like praying every day, something you should do if you want to increase in your walk.

Now the NT really hits on something known as offering, as well as a sort of you reap what you sow principle, but you still see mentions of tithes in corinthians for example.

Additionally as I mentioned earlier 10% isn't as much as people make it out to be tbh, for example I work a part time job not making that much and 10% isn't that much out of my over all pay check, I mean if I can pay off tithes with how much I make... yeah. I mean you keep 90%, we should be glad God doesn't ask for more low key though. He can cause he owns us but he chose out of kindness to set a tenth.

But to add on to that my pastor doesn't go around saying where is your 10%...I feel you got the wrong impression of my statement, he just expects people in the church and church leaders to pay at least 10%, and I don't see anything wrong with this principle. The bible says in corinthians that the lord has ordained that they that preach the gospel should live the gospel. I want my leaders doing as I do as well.

My dad is a deacon and he follows this also....now sure he makes good money... but 10% or higher out of any check is a lot. Even if you are worth 200 million dollars for example 10% is a good chunk. And if someone is in a situation where they are making low pay and have children the church is willing to help out, we do that all the time, in fact we never sell food in the church as some churches do as well. The gospel is free!

But yeah I admit when I first read your reply I a little bit offended, if you rated my offense on a 1-10 scale would be a 2.5 maybe, but then I realized my comment on the thread was short and there was a number of conclusions you could come to as a result so was on me.

Anyway though.. 10%.. I mean I just don't see a reason to give less unl
It is just that I am opposed to a church forcing a requirement about anything on anyone. The fact is, if, say I won a major prize in lotto, then I would feel obligated to give the first 10% to the Lord. There is a principle about giving the first fruits to the Lord. But that would be a voluntary act and not because anyone from the church came to me and said, "You won $10,000 on lotto so you have to give the church $1,000 of it. If that happened I would say, "Sorry, you're not getting a cent of it because I'm going to give it all to a pastor in Kenya who I think could make better use of it."

But if the church teaches that if you sow money in faith, God will make sure you are provided for, then I believe that (I don't believe in the prosperity doctrine though). I believe that we reap what we sow. If we sow money we will get money. If we sow kindness we will receive kindness. if we sow helping others, others will help us when we need it, and so on.

I was in a church and I just knew when the funds were running low, because there would be a series on giving. But in one church at offering time the pastor gave a short word on the blessings of giving and he showed how God blessed people who gave. I believe in that and I felt that pastor went about it in the right way.

My 25 year daughter who lives in another city telephoned me tonight and asked me to help her out with her rent. It was $580. Do you think that was an offering to the Lord? I was giving money to someone in need... :sorry:

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is just that I am opposed to a church forcing a requirement about anything on anyone. The fact is, if, say I won a major prize in lotto, then I would feel obligated to give the first 10% to the Lord. There is a principle about giving the first fruits to the Lord. But that would be a voluntary act and not because anyone from the church came to me and said, "You won $10,000 on lotto so you have to give the church $1,000 of it. If that happened I would say, "Sorry, you're not getting a cent of it because I'm going to give it all to a pastor in Kenya who I think could make better use of it."

But if the church teaches that if you sow money in faith, God will make sure you are provided for, then I believe that (I don't believe in the prosperity doctrine though). I believe that we reap what we sow. If we sow money we will get money. If we sow kindness we will receive kindness. if we sow helping others, others will help us when we need it, and so on.

I was in a church and I just knew when the funds were running low, because there would be a series on giving. But in one church at offering time the pastor gave a short word on the blessings of giving and he showed how God blessed people who gave. I believe in that and I felt that pastor went about it in the right way.

My 25 year daughter who lives in another city telephoned me tonight and asked me to help her out with her rent. It was $580. Do you think that was an offering to the Lord? I was giving money to someone in need... :sorry:

I see where you're coming from now. Like I said though I've evaluated what the bible says about giving and I've concluded that a combination of tithes for the church and offerings to others is best but everyone has their own take on it. The chances of either one of us winning the lotto though is lower then being struck by lightning supposedly so not sure how that's the best reason for not tithing if it's such a unique circumstance. I get the rest of what was stated though.

As a response to your last example though that's why it's good to follow 2 Corinthians 9:6-7, Give your tithes as soon as possible, there's a deacon that at my church before he pays off anything else he pays off his tithes as soon as he can, that way he doesn't have to worry about saving up later. If you have a part time job like me though and are payed weekly mainly then might have to wait until money comes in.

Bu

Upvote 0