• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was a child, I was given a ticket.
I knew it was special, so I did not want to lose it.

So I tucked it away, where it could never get lost.
I would take it out and admire it, occasionally showing it to others, but usually keeping it to myself.

As I grew older, I trashed everything, having little respect for myself or others. The ticket was still valid, right? Of course, I thought, as long as I am sober enough to find it in case I need it. Besides, I figured I wouldn't need the ticket for many, many years.

As I settled down and desired to have a new life, the ticket became a treasure, once again special. When all else failed, I still had my ticket, I would tell myself. I would check it every day, often many times a day. I would look at it more carefully, since it was of renewed importance. The more important the ticket became, the more I would look at all the times I had folded it, spilled liquor on it, took it to places you wouldn't take a treasure, and acted like it didn't exist.

Of course, it was still valid, right? I looked at it incessantly, and in the middle of the day, I would have nightmares that maybe I had lost it. I went to the experts, hoping I could get a new ticket. I was assurred there was nothing wrong with the one I had. But why did it feel like I had lost it? Why did I have to check over and over and over to make sure it was there, only to dread I had lost it an hour later.

Then I would dream while awake that I was tearing the ticket up. It felt so real that I had to look again for the ticket. I would call ticketmaster, but I was so panicked, I could not hear the response. This must have confirmed I had lost the ticket forever. This would continue, despite my desire to have this ticket. My world was shaken and my future seemed lost.

Gradually, amazingly, and with great patience and mercy, God taught me that what I needed was a tour guide, not a ticket. This tour guide's name is Jesus. I surrendered the tattered ticket to him, slowly, incompletely, and reluctantly. In His tender way, He has shown me how expensive the ticket was. He assurred me that it was paid in full, and that it was never really mine to lose. He is teaching me that the trip has already begun and has replaced a token with a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. He has given me many wonderful people with which to travel, but solemnly gestures to the empty seats around me.

anastasia4162

Dec 31, 2007
✟7,615.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Dear Marcb,
You are the reason I am writing today. I have never participated in an online chat but I had to register and let you know what a blessing you have been to me in such a short time.

I too suffer from the monster of OCD. Not the same face as yours but same monster. I had just embarked on cognitive/behavioral therapy with a great psycologist. After a particularly scary session where she started to introduce me to exposure, I frankly freaked out. I really didn't know if I could take it.

Antidepressants had worked well in the past but were starting to fail. I wondered, once again, where God was in all of this? I believe He wants me healed but I was confused and afraid.

I googled Christian and OCD and came across this sight. I clicked on the thread of Drugs v. Cognitive therapy and found your reply. What I found was simply amazing to me. Your story mirrored mine almost exactly except for the phobia. Same breakthroughs and reactions etc.

For the first time in my life I wasn't alone anymore. In that short passage, your courage and honesty helped me more than I can explain. I even printed your reply out and reread it several times.

I wanted you to know that God has used you in a mighty way. I returned to therapy on Monday with renewed determination and courage. I continue to take antidepressants, but for the first time I am attacking this Goliath head on.

I thank God for leading me to your reply and showing me that victory is possible.

Really when you think about it, it's like learning how to ride a bike. All I need to do is hold on tight to the handle bars and keep peddling. My Father will keep His hand on the seat until I am ready for Him to let go. I may fall along the way, but He will be right there to pick me up, heal my scraped heart and set me back on the bike again.

Thank you again sir. You obviously have been used by the Lord to help many people. He has taken your struggles and used them to heal others. Isn't that just like our God? He is soooo COOL!!!

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Gal 6:9 Keep up the good work man and don't stop peddling.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This thread just makes me smile. :) Marc has much wisdom, continue to listen to him.

Back about 15yrs ago, I did the same thing as you, and freaked out when I started the therapy for ocd (I hyperventilated in the doctor's office actually ^_^ ). But the Lord led me to keep going. It worked, and I thank Him for guiding me to it.

May you be blessed with courage and strength as you begin your therapy.

seajoy :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.