Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The Thinking of the Magi

In order to fully understand the record of Matthew, and the star of Bethlehem, we have to get inside the heads of the Magi. We have to understand their astrological thinking without approving of it or practicing it.

continued at link...

When was Messiah Born?

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well to begin with, during the time of Abraham we hear of the "Chaldees" (as opposed to the Chaldeans) the word used here is "kasdeem" which literally means Magoi. It may have been this light (the word Ur) out of which Abraham came when he came into the Light of YHVH. And then back in the time of Moses, there was a prophet for profit from that area that apparently could speak to the LORD (YHVH) named Balaam, and his prophecy undoubtedly played a part here (Numbers 24:17) and then we must consider that during the Babylonian captivity Daniel (a prophet of Israel) was made their chief ruler (Daniel 2:48) so undoubtedly they were also aware of the counting down of weeks to this Messiah. Perhaps all this played a part!

In His love

Paul

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Their possible knowledge of Dan 9 is mentioned in the article, but the history of the Magi is not the focus. The focus is to explain Matthew and the movements of the star with the 2 BC, Tishri 1 date for the birth of Messiah.

Yeah, I got that Daniel but it was historically inaccurate. Jesus was born before Herod the great died in late 4 B.C. and many scriptural descriptions of Him refer to Him as the tabernacle of God, so I go with a Tabernacles birth...but I thought the issue of the OP was what the Magi thought...by the time they come Joseph, Mary, and the baby were already in a dwelling...Herod commands all male Davidic infants be killed up to 2 years old (this COULD bring us back as far as 6 B.C.) but not in 2 B.C. because he was already dead for two years at that point

Upvote 0