The theology of Jeremiah 8:8

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 8:8 How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

Since scripture is useful for teaching, what is to be learned from this passage?

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This was shortly after the religious revival under Josiah, which quickly proved ungenuine, which pharisaical leaders oppressively laying burdensome duties on the poor. Jeremiah is relaying God's call to the nation's religious leaders to purify their consciences and not fall into superstitions based on a literal following of the written directions.

I cribbed this from a book by John Skinner dated 1922. It's a call we can usefully follow ourselves, often, and also ask God to help our elders and bishops do so too, to the best of their ability amid their pressing duties.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This was shortly after the religious revival under Josiah, which quickly proved ungenuine, which pharisaical leaders oppressively laying burdensome duties on the poor. Jeremiah is relaying God's call to the nation's religious leaders to purify their consciences and not fall into superstitions based on a literal following of the written directions.

I cribbed this from a book by John Skinner dated 1922. It's a call we can usefully follow ourselves, often, and also ask God to help our elders and bishops do so too, to the best of their ability amid their pressing duties.
That's a good message.

I recall in the book of Jeremiah, the leaders took something he wrote and when finished a section would toss it into the fire.

So I surmised that the law was copied deceitfully, and things were added or taken out, so it was pointless to have the law at all. Since the leaders were acting this way, why not the rest of the population?

What this teaches me is the necessity of the Holy Spirit in our lives so we can understand the root of the teachings - for even the devil can quote scripture.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jeremiah 8:8 How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

Since scripture is useful for teaching, what is to be learned from this passage?
The law is not perfect. Jeremiah realized this. Slavery was allowed in the law. Better people passed laws against slavery. Animal sacrifice was required as a penalty for sins, or as an offering. Prophets realized animal sacrifice is not necessary. A Christian ruler outlawed it. The Hindus and Buddhists do not like it either. Someone taught me I should not kill an animal I am not going to eat. Killing people who work on the Sabbath is not included in US law as the punishment is too harsh. Jesus taught people God works seven days a week. People may do what they desire on the seventh day of the week. Of course people like their days off and they may need rest, without having to kill people who do differently.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The law is not perfect. Jeremiah realized this. Slavery was allowed in the law. Better people passed laws against slavery. Animal sacrifice was required as a penalty for sins, or as an offering. Prophets realized animal sacrifice is not necessary. A Christian ruler outlawed it. The Hindus and Buddhists do not like it either. Someone taught me I should not kill an animal I am not going to eat. Killing people who work on the Sabbath is not included in US law as the punishment is too harsh. Jesus taught people God works seven days a week. People may do what they desire on the seventh day of the week. Of course people like their days off and they may need rest, without having to kill people who do differently.
Yes, this reminds me of that saying in Romans 13 where it says the law is summed up in a brief saying that love should not harm their neighbor. If this is the basis of law, then some things will inevitably become obsolete over time.

• Agree
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0