The Theology of Adoption

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
The Theology of Adoption
"But when the fullness of time was come, God sent forth His Son made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that are under the law, that we might receive the adoption of son's." Galatians 4:4,5

The word adoption here literally means "the placing of a son." Therefore it is logical that adoption follows regeneration. Remember that regeneration is the process that God uses to give the believing sinner a new nature. So then regeneration gives us our "nature" as a child of God, and adoption gives us our "position" as a child of God. (Rather than post all the scriptures here, I will simply refer you to them to read at your pleasure. Romans 8:15-23;Galatians 4:4-6; Ephesians 1:5; II Corinthians 6:18)

Notice there are considerable differences in the Spiritual adoption of our Father, and the civil adoption we practice: (1) Never do we adopt our own children; Never does God adopt any other. (2) Children give comfort to the childless who adopt them; God already had a "beloved Son BEFORE he adopted us. (Matthew 3:17; 17:5) (3)Usually when we adopt children, they have many "pleasing characteristics", BUT prior to our adoption by God there is nothing "pleasing" about us. (Romans 3:10-18) (4) In the adoption process we use there is nothing that makes it possible to give the child the nature of the adopting father. But when God adopts us we are given the very "Mind of Christ". (I Corinthians 2:16) (5) There is a process whereby we can sometimes declare an adoption "null and void". God NEVER does that.

There are some ways in which the adoption processes are exactly the same. (1) In both cases the Father is the one who initiates the adoption. (Isaiah 1:18; John 3:16) (2) In both cases the child, who had nothing before, now receives an inheritance. (Romans 8:17; I Peter 1:1-9) (3) In both cases the child receives a new name (Revelation 2:17, John 1:42).

Shodan

Feb 22, 2002
Midwest
✟30,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was sitting in church the Sunday before the first Christmas after we had adopted my son.

It was a cantata instead of the usual service, and part of it was a solo sung by Joseph. He sang about how he didn't really understand how he wound up with a son, or why he was picked to be the father, but that he loved his Son, and wanted to do the best he could to raise Him.

And I was sitting in my pew with tears rolling down my face.

It was two thousand years ago, in a different culture, and Joseph spoke a different language. But he was an adoptive father, just like me. And if and when we meet, we will have something to talk about. My son - and his.

Regards,
Shodan

Upvote 0

BigEd

an adopted child of God
Feb 15, 2002
connecticut
✟9,726.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have just reading J.I. packer's knowing God... and that was a big point he made that after salvation itself, the greatest gift from God we recieve is being made an adopted son ( that is why i changed my title above my avatar recently). I really didn't understand the the joyius implications of that, until just recently.

what a wonderful thought to be a child of God.

we could brag...
I got the best dad!
well my dad created the whole world and whole universe even.
I can always talk to my dad and he listens.
My dad teaches me all sort of good stuff.
My dad loves me no matter what.

Upvote 0