The ten commandments

What are the ten commandments?

First Tables of Stone
(Exodus 20, "which Moses didst break")

1. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.
2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image. You shall not bow down to them or serve them.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not kill.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.

or...

Second Tables of Stone
(Exodus 34, "the words that were on the first")

1. Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).
2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.
4. All the first-born are mine.
5. Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.
6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread
8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.
9. The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God
10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.

Originally posted by Josephus
in Exodus 35:28, God is the one who writes the ten commandments. God then instructs MOSES to write down the Covenant laws which he just mentioned.

The 10 Commandments is the first set you wrote. :)
In Exodus 34, God tells Moses to write down the words from the first set onto the second, but the words on the second are different... :confused:

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Josephus
There are two writings:

The writings of Moses, and the writings of God. If you read, it is God who writes on the tablets, yet God instructs Moses to write too... where exact, and on 'what' not mentioned, but he is just told to write.
I understand that God wrote the first set, and Moses the second set, but God instructed Moses to write down the words from the first onto the second, yet they are different... that's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the key point is that Neo is assuming that the next material is "the words that were on the first tablets", and which was then written again on the second, and that you're assuming that it's something else.

I think your interpretation is clearly correct, simply because the "second set" he posted starts in the middle of a discussion of other instructions *in addition to* the 10C, which look to be a foundation of the levitical laws. Re-reading the chapter, I think it's pretty clear that the second set he quoted is not "the 10 commandments", but some other general moral guidelines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums