The Temple Recommend October 2019 focus is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The Gospel is what Jesus did.
The Law is to follow Him and do as He commanded.

The Gospel is not the Law, the Law is not the Gospel.

The Law has no power to save, only the Gospel--what God has done for us in Jesus Christ--saves.

We don't follow and obey Christ to earn reward, but to be faithful servants.

-CryptoLutheran
I agree, we follow Jesus because we are faithful servants, not to earn rewards. You can never earn enough work reward points to save yourself in heaven. We do these things because we are faithful servants of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I agree, we follow Jesus because we are faithful servants, not to earn rewards. You can never earn enough work reward points to save yourself in heaven. We do these things because we are faithful servants of Jesus Christ.
Phoebe said elsewhere that since 2015 how you've been explained to on the vast differences there are between Mormonism and Biblical Christianity … and yet you still want to come across otherwise by agreeing with CryptoLutheran ?

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You were and are being dishonest, which your AoF says is a no no. The lds version of keep the commandments is much more than love God, love your neighbor. Those additions are not based on any prophets or law from the Bible, but from your own false prophets.
So you don't think that loving God and your neighbor doesn't mean you need to be honest? Jesus said that ALL of the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments, but you don't believe that?

(New Testament | Matthew 22:36 - 40)

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

The Law has no power to save, only the Gospel--what God has done for us in Jesus Christ--saves.

-CryptoLutheran
Those who LOVE Jesus do keep the commandments and will get the blessings for doing so:

(New Testament | John 14:15 - 16)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

(New Testament | John 14:21 - 23)

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

These are the blessing that are promised to those who keep the commandments. Those who don't have NO promise!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
As long as you keep the commandments that is fine.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you don't think that loving God and your neighbor doesn't mean you need to be honest? Jesus said that ALL of the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments, but you don't believe that?

(New Testament | Matthew 22:36 - 40)

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Wild weekend, huh? Let me help you with your reading comprehension and repeat the question, since what you responded with did not address it. I will even bold it for you.

You were and are being dishonest, which your AoF says is a no no. The lds version of keep the commandments is much more than love God, love your neighbor. Those additions are not based on any prophets or law from the Bible, but from your own false prophets.

So while you keep on keepin' on about "keep the commandments", you are being dishonest because you really mean one must keep the lds commandments, which are vastly different than "love God, love your neighbor".

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This might be a difficult idea to understand when one has been told that they need to earn their place with God through their own power and merit through a system of rewards and punishments. But the simple fact is that God already accepts us, loves us, and has good will toward us, and has already given us all good things. Our response of love through obedience is not borne out of self-promotion and fear, but out of gratitude and a life of repentance. Lived outwardly for the sake of others.

There's no brownie points to be won. No score card being punched. There's no rungs on a ladder. Love others because you love them. And when we struggle, we come to the God of all mercy, that we might continue to learn how to die. That our pride, our flesh, our selfishness might be crucified, buried, dead. Looking forward and onward, toward Jesus Christ. Not to self-promotion and tiers of glory; but to Christ.

"Therefore man knows that works which he does by such faith are not his but God's. For this reason he does not seek to become justified or glorified through them, but seeks God. His justification by faith in Christ is sufficient to him. Christ is his wisdom, righteousness, etc., as 1 Cor 1:30 has it, that he himself may be Christ's vessel and instrument (operatio seu instrumentum)." Martin Luther, Heidelberg Disputation, 25

-CryptoLutheran
You said: "Therefore man knows that works which he does by such faith are not his but God's." And that is why you NEED to do them.

(New Testament | Matthew 7:21)

21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Wild weekend, huh? Let me help you with your reading comprehension and repeat the question, since what you responded with did not address it. I will even bold it for you.

So while you keep on keepin' on about "keep the commandments", you are being dishonest because you really mean one must keep the lds commandments, which are vastly different than "love God, love your neighbor".
I am NOT being dishonest You just do not understand the far reaching laws that are affected by LOVE.

(Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:13)

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

ALL of the thirteenth is about LOVE but you don't understand LOVE, virtue and charity.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Phoebe said elsewhere that since 2015 how you've been explained to on the vast differences there are between Mormonism and Biblical Christianity … and yet you still want to come across otherwise by agreeing with CryptoLutheran ?
I agree with him on some things, not on others.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am NOT being dishonest You just do not understand the far reaching laws that are affected by LOVE.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

ALL of the thirteenth is about LOVE but you don't understand LOVE, virtue and charity.
You are not fully disclosing the lds requirements that you, as an lds member, must keep. @Phoebe Ann posts them all the time on these threads. They go beyond "love God, love your neighbor" and therefore you are being deceptive by leaving them out. You are trying to sound Christian by using Christian-y words and concepts, but redefining them to really mean the lds commandments. For example, one of your "requirements" for salvation is to be baptized into the lds church. Billions of people all over the planet do and have loved God and their neighbor without ever being baptized in the lds church.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are not fully disclosing the lds requirements that you, as an lds member, must keep. @Phoebe Ann posts them all the time on these threads. They go beyond "love God, love your neighbor" and therefore you are being deceptive by leaving them out. You are trying to sound Christian by using Christian-y words and concepts, but redefining them to really mean the lds commandments. For example, one of your "requirements" for salvation is to be baptized into the lds church. Billions of people all over the planet do and have loved God and their neighbor without ever being baptized in the LDS church.
"Billions of people all over the planet do and have loved God and their neighbor without ever being baptized in the LDS church."

Amen!

Bless your heart! Corrie ten Boom comes to mind!

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Your scripture says you MUST obey if you want any blessing. You earn eternal life through obedience. Read your Doctrine and Covenants again to refresh your memory.

LDS Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual Enrichment G, p. 395.gif

LDS Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual, 1981, Enrichment G, p. 398

How could you possibly forget?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You are not fully disclosing the lds requirements that you, as an lds member, must keep. @Phoebe Ann posts them all the time on these threads. They go beyond "love God, love your neighbor" and therefore you are being deceptive by leaving them out. You are trying to sound Christian by using Christian-y words and concepts, but redefining them to really mean the lds commandments. For example, one of your "requirements" for salvation is to be baptized into the lds church. Billions of people all over the planet do and have loved God and their neighbor without ever being baptized in the lds church.
Being baptized is a commandment of God. And like Jesus said "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

(New Testament | 1 Peter 3:21)

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Your scripture says you MUST obey if you want any blessing. You earn eternal life through obedience. Read your Doctrine and Covenants again to refresh your memory.

View attachment 265371

LDS Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual, 1981, Enrichment G, p. 398

How could you possibly forget?
Those who LOVE Jesus do keep the commandments and they will get the blessings for doing so:

(New Testament | John 14:15 - 16)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

(New Testament | John 14:21 - 23)

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

These are the blessing that are promised to those who keep the commandments. Those who don't have NO promise! So yes we do receive BLESSINGS through obedience.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Literally everything that's been espoused by Mormons in these threads says precisely the opposite. That one earns their status in glory through their accomplishments in this life.

Are you reversing that position now? Or are you attempting some sort of strategy of false agreement? Because no, you don't agree with what I said.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Literally everything that's been espoused by Mormons in these threads says precisely the opposite. That one earns their status in glory through their accomplishments in this life.

Are you reversing that position now? Or are you attempting some sort of strategy of false agreement? Because no, you don't agree with what I said.

-CryptoLutheran
I would appear that he is attempting some sort of false agreement when after I quoted what LDS prophet Spencer Kimball:
“One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation” ~ Book of Mormon Student Manual, p. 36

Peter reply was:
"... Is that why you have a tendency to look to Paul for your gospel, because he seems to remove all so called 'burdens' from you, and seems to allow you into heaven by just believing in Jesus.

Spencer Kimball was right, your belief that man is saved alone by the grace of God and that a belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed, is not the gospel of Jesus Christ. ..."
~post #30​

Every fiber of Mormonism must be viewed as coming from works of self-righteousness.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being baptized is a commandment of God. And like Jesus said "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

(New Testament | 1 Peter 3:21)

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
Without getting into the whole baptism is required for salvation issue, you still do not comprehend what is being said to you.

Billions of people all over the planet do and have loved God and their neighbor without ever being baptized in the lds church.

Baptism into the lds church does not save a person. Being a member of any particular church does not fulfill the commandments of love God, love your neighbor. Baptism is just one example of "other" commandments your church teaches MUST be followed to earn salvation. Your withholding that information is where you are being deceitful, which violates your 13th Article of Faith.

• Agree
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I would appear that he is attempting some sort of false agreement when after I quoted what LDS prophet Spencer Kimball:
“One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation” ~ Book of Mormon Student Manual, p. 36

Peter reply was:
"... Is that why you have a tendency to look to Paul for your gospel, because he seems to remove all so called 'burdens' from you, and seems to allow you into heaven by just believing in Jesus.

Spencer Kimball was right, your belief that man is saved alone by the grace of God and that a belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed, is not the gospel of Jesus Christ. ..."
~post #30​
We are saved by grace after all that we can do. Dead faith will not save, only faith through works saves. Will people who love sin more than they love Jesus be saved? Sin is death:

(New Testament | 1 Peter 4:17 - 19)

17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Without getting into the whole baptism is required for salvation issue, you still do not comprehend what is being said to you.

Billions of people all over the planet do and have loved God and their neighbor without ever being baptized in the lds church.

Baptism into the lds church does not save a person. Being a member of any particular church does not fulfill the commandments of love God, love your neighbor. Baptism is just one example of "other" commandments your church teaches MUST be followed to earn salvation. Your withholding that information is where you are being deceitful, which violates your 13th Article of Faith.
I am not being deceitful. There are necessary ordinances that must be performed in order for a person to enter the kingdom of God. Those ordinances need to be performed by someone who holds the keys to perform that ordinance. If they do not hold those keys the ordinance will not be accepted by God. I know that everyone who keeps the commandments will be given the promises listed in the Bible because God does not lie. If they do not receive the necessary ordinances during their tenure on the earth, they will receive them by proxy by someone holding the keys to perform that ordinance.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

You said "we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul" … really?

Expect of course you choose not to follow the admonition of Paul when ".. because he seems to remove all so called 'burdens' from you, and seems to allow you into heaven by just believing in Jesus." ~ Peter1000 post #30

So much for honesty. Maybe it is better reworded as: we follow the admonition of Paul .. as long as it jives with Mormon works of self-righteousness.

Spencer Kimball was right, your belief that man is saved alone by the grace of God and that a belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed, is not the gospel of Jesus Christ. ..." ~ Peter1000 post #30

LDS prophet Spencer Kimball:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.