United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CF15791E-8C7C-4BF3-8705-ED81801D92E7.png
according to the Pew Research Center. As of 2014, that falls between $24,000 and $73,000 for one person and $42,000 and $126,000 for a family of three.

A Portrait Of America's Middle Class, By The Numbers

So, an average income for a family of three is 84,000 and an average home price is 150,000 3% interest. And 4.6% state tax.

84,000 income
4,500 interest
3600 state tax
1300 property tax

All numbers are approximate but they are for general discussion.

So 4,319 divided by 52 weeks is 83.00 a week in taxes.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

Doulosiesou

Jan 1, 2018
Colorado
✟16,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's been a lot of economic studies done on taxation, in general the federal government can tax around 17% of income any more than that and the economy slows thus reducing taxes.

IMO they should just go to a flat tax, 17% individual and corporate taxes and we could eliminate a lot of the IRS overhead.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's been a lot of economic studies done on taxation, in general the federal government can tax around 17% of income any more than that and the economy slows thus reducing taxes.

IMO they should just go to a flat tax, 17% individual and corporate taxes and we could eliminate a lot of the IRS overhead.
YEA!!!!

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've always opposed a flat tax, but I must admit the idea has much more appeal these days. As the rich and powerful have prospered disproportionately to the rest of the population, people are becoming more and more cynical about the tax system. At least a flat tax would insure that all will pay some taxes and would be certain to improve buy-in among the people. With so many not paying any taxes at all, it will help eliminate the deficit and give the middle class a bit of relief.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've always opposed a flat tax, but I must admit the idea has much more appeal these days. As the rich and powerful have prospered disproportionately to the rest of the population, people are becoming more and more cynical about the tax system. At least a flat tax would insure that all will pay some taxes and would be certain to improve buy-in among the people. With so many not paying any taxes at all, it will help eliminate the deficit and give the middle class a bit of relief.
I appreciate where you're coming from. I'm not quoting you to be argumentative but to merely expand on your thought - as I see it.

I still oppose the flat tax proposals that I have seen thus far. The system monikered as The Fair Tax was everything but fair. It was a 30%~ sales tax.

The mega-wealthy and corporations would relish another tax cut down to 17%, while the working poor would have their tax burden doubled (almost, the current tax scheme that just passed has 10% as lowest tax bracket. a 17% flat-tax would be a 70% increase).
This is why it's considered 'regressive'.
Further; I have zero confidence, especially in any GOP/Dem led Congress that the wealth wouldn't lobby out (again) preferential treatment.
e.g. carried-interest and capital gains

• Agree
Reactions: Rodan6
Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Flat taxes sounds good in theory, but they're terrible in practice.

17% for a person making minimum wage is crippling, 17% for someone making millions is a drop in the bucket.

A far better idea is to tax capital gains as income for people making over a certain amount. A huge percentage of rich people make their living off of investment income which is taxed at a lower rate than income taxes. Keep capital gains where it is for say under $50,000 or 100,000 (give or take) of investment income, and tax anything above that as regular income. That keeps the preferential tax rate for the lower or middle class intact.

You'll create a revenue windfall, and you're only asking for people to pay what others are on their primary income source.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate where you're coming from. I'm not quoting you to be argumentative but to merely expand on your thought - as I see it.

I still oppose the flat tax proposals that I have seen thus far. The system monikered as The Fair Tax was everything but fair. It was a 30%~ sales tax.

The mega-wealthy and corporations would relish another tax cut down to 17%, while the working poor would have their tax burden doubled (almost, the current tax scheme that just passed has 10% as lowest tax bracket. a 17% flat-tax would be a 70% increase).
This is why it's considered 'regressive'.
Further; I have zero confidence, especially in any GOP/Dem led Congress that the wealth wouldn't lobby out (again) preferential treatment.
e.g. carried-interest and capital gains

Agreed on all points. The attractive aspect of a "flat tax" is the idea that those on the high end that pay NOTHING will pay SOMETHING. There is an obscene number of high earners that use the complex tax code we have (and it's at least as bad as it was before AFTER this so-called reform just passed) to avoid paying any income tax at all. But you are right that if the current congress moved towards a flat tax, there would be enough exemptions to maintain the status quo and make things worse for the rest of us.

Still, the concept has some theoretical merit that might one day be a part of a real reform effort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums