Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
It is well worth noting actually that humans are in many respects neotenous great apes. a number of growth processes in humans are arrested at certain stages and never progress as they do in the other apes, such as the positioning of the foramen magnum, which does not drift as far round the back as in humans (if you look at the embryological progesses of other mammals and so on, you will notice that the foramen magnum starts at the base of the skull and drifts to the back. The length of the arms is also arrested. Add to this that we can see in the fossils how the change of structures such as the foot occur, becoming progressively more human.

Yes, but Aron-ra was speaking only of appearance and that is why I said that I didn't see it. Although I see more humanness in Gorilla's and some other monkeys than other mammals in appearance. I mean it is apparent that Gorilla's look more like us than say an elephant does. But I see some very human characteristics in an elephant as well.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Oncedeceived said:
Yes, but Aron-ra was speaking only of appearance and that is why I said that I didn't see it. Although I see more humanness in Gorilla's and some other monkeys than other mammals in appearance. I mean it is apparent that Gorilla's look more like us than say an elephant does. But I see some very human characteristics in an elephant as well.

but then he was inplicitly referring to neoteny - the retention of juvenile characteristics in the adult which is why I provided the information that I did :) neoteny is actually quite an important feature of the morphological evolution of many species, and we see lots of neoteny in dogs for example. When one looks at humany, we are neotenous apes, with a few other differences thrown in for measure.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
but then he was inplicitly referring to neoteny - the retention of juvenile characteristics in the adult which is why I provided the information that I did :) neoteny is actually quite an important feature of the morphological evolution of many species, and we see lots of neoteny in dogs for example. When one looks at humany, we are neotenous apes, with a few other differences thrown in for measure.

A few other difference thrown in for measure? There are many many differences between us. :)

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
yeah baby yeah.....

Image involutarily retrieved. :D

one difference being, gorillas floss.

Although you have given a good example of hygiene differences, I was thinking more in line with cytogenetic differences, differences in the type and number of repetitive genomic DNA and transposable elements, abundance and distribution of endogenous retroviruses, the presence and extent of allelic polymorphisms, specific gene inactivation events, gene sequence differences, gene duplications, single nucleotide polymorphisms, gene expression differences, and messenger RNA splicing variations. Although these in theory may not be as significant as the flossing you cited, I feel that they merit more research. :)

I love koko!! I saw a documentary on her some time ago and she is just so incredible.

I also saw one on birds that showed a bird (I can't remember what kind it was) was so intelligent. It could do amazing things.

Upvote 0

h2whoa

Ace2whoa - resident geneticist
Sep 21, 2004
Manchester, UK
✟4,091.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Oncedeceived said:
I also saw one on birds that showed a bird (I can't remember what kind it was) was so intelligent. It could do amazing things.

Yeah I saw that one too.

It was amazing. I can't remember exactly what type it was but it was a duck of some kind. It wore a nappy and it's crowning moment was singing "I wish I could fly".

h2

P.S. I don't think anyone not from the UK will get that specifically, so apologies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy The Hand

I Have Been Complexified!
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
✟1,360.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
Good stuff, Aron-Re. Might I suggest at the conclusion a flow chart? I know you are showing that taxonomic classification is more complex than sorting the sock drawer, but a simple diagram showing yes / no choices that ultmately results in sapiens would be visiually compelling.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
h2whoa said:
Yeah I saw that one too.

It was amazing. I can't remember exactly what type it was but it was a duck of some kind. It wore a nappy and it's crowning moment was singing "I wish I could fly".

h2

P.S. I don't think anyone not from the UK will get that specifically, so apologies.

Can you let us in on it?

Upvote 0

h2whoa

Ace2whoa - resident geneticist
Sep 21, 2004
Manchester, UK
✟4,091.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Oncedeceived said:
Can you let us in on it?

OK.

This is Keith and Orville. Orville is the duck (apparently he's a duck).

orville2.jpg

h2

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Oncedeceived said:
Image involutarily retrieved. :D
my humblest apolgies :p
Although you have given a good example of hygiene differences, I was thinking more in line with cytogenetic differences, differences in the type and number of repetitive genomic DNA and transposable elements, abundance and distribution of endogenous retroviruses, the presence and extent of allelic polymorphisms, specific gene inactivation events, gene sequence differences, gene duplications, single nucleotide polymorphisms, gene expression differences, and messenger RNA splicing variations. Although these in theory may not be as significant as the flossing you cited, I feel that they merit more research. :)
lol, that is probably the most impressive single sentence I have seen in a long time :p

I love koko!! I saw a documentary on her some time ago and she is just so incredible.
I know, it is really quite astounding. makes me feel honoured to be an ape, which is nice.
oh there are lots of clever birds that I have heard of, from parrots with large vocabularies through to crows who invent tools. fascinating stuff :) but they don't floss.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
my humblest apolgies :p

lol, that is probably the most impressive single sentence I have seen in a long time :p

I know, it is really quite astounding. makes me feel honoured to be an ape, which is nice.

oh there are lots of clever birds that I have heard of, from parrots with large vocabularies through to crows who invent tools. fascinating stuff :) but they don't floss.

Nah, just the really "intelligent" mammals floss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Since most evolutionists are Christians,
I think you meant most Christians are evolutionists but it was a nice though anyway.
Actually, both statements are true.
You and others think that it has to be one extreme or the other never once considering that there could be another option.
Funny. That was one of the arguments I used against creationists all of my life.
Creation does not mean magic,
"Speaking" something into existence is magic. Abra-cadabera = *poof* there it is.
it does not mean that a process has not occurred that mankind has labled evolution. On one hand you have the evolutionists (theist and secular alike) that feel the process is either 1. God set the whole ball rolling and stepped aside (Theist)
I think that is actually the Deist position. Non-Deist theists tend to think that God is still involved.
or 2. There is no need for God and everything occurring was due to natural selection and environmental influences(secular. Any stepping over those lines creates chaos in both camps.
If you'll take a look at the "Origin of life views" thread, you'll see that I'm not like that.

As a scientist, you are required to limit your explanations to those things which can be tested for, or evidenced in some way, at least potentially. My position is that, (if God were real) you would be able to detect him and indicate him in some objective way. And I say that because anytime any supernatural anything dips his hand into the prime material plane to effect some physical change, he should pull his ethereal arm out dripping with physics. In other words, even miracles should leave a trace of themselves.

And some supernatural something should have been proven by now: Kirlian photography, full trance mediums, psionics, Transcendental Meditation, past life remembrance, astral projection, ESP, or precognition. Yet what have we got? 150,000 dead, and tens of millions homeless because nobody foretold the largest natural disaster in recorded history. All the animals were able to detect something, ultrasonic vibrations perhaps, but not us oh-so-spiritually tuned prophets of oh-so-many gods and ghosts. We went down to the retreated beach without even common sense much less sixth sense, or second sight. What's wrong with that picture?

As a species, we are so astoundingly in-sensative that things like the Asian tsunami or the twin tower attack always hit us blind and without warning even when get warnings. Yet we somehow manage to make ourselves believe that David Blain has genuine spiritual powers, and that we'll receive a promotion or a new love interest now that Jupiter is in the house of Virgo. On the whole, despite all our genius in the practical world, man is still a metaphysical moron, and definitely not psychic.
It either happened according to the laws of physics, or it didn't adhere to physical laws and happened miraculously instead. Either way, it couldn't have formed by changing alleles that weren't there yet. So until they were, it can't be considered evolution.
See case in point. It either had to be laws of physics or miracles. Has it occurred to you that God being the Creator and the originator of all intelligence would and could use such laws in His creation?
Absolutely! That's why I was a Taoist for more than ten years. But I always thought that some element of the supernatural had been quantified or qualified to some degree, and that the spiritual (astral) planes and the entities therein were simply another, quite natural dimension working in association with this one. My spiritual beliefs were fairly complex and (I think) well-considered. I also thought that at least some of them had legitimate backing. When I realized they didn't, at all, and that no one else's did either, then I reluctantly had to resign myself to materialism.
Taoist or Shamanic creation concepts could be true. With some modifications, even some version of Hindu tradition could be true I suppose. But Biblical creationism still couldn't be.
I imagine that this will come up again in this thread but I want to give you my theory and hopefully you can at least see that I have a reasonable hypothesis regarding Genesis. But the time is not right for it now in this thread.
I would be interested to hear it. That would probably give me an opportunity to explain my special brand of Taoism.
But would you not agree that many of these tiers and fundamental similarities are unproven and many are assumed by pieced together information that has some elements unknown.
There is always some element of the unknown, no matter what we're talking about. But I think we have so much evidence of common descent as to be perverse to deny that these tiers of similarities really do mean what they seem to. You are not an animal because men devised some arbitrary and therefore meaningless system of classification. You are an animal because you are descended from animals. And I think that's been proven about as solidly as anything ever could be.
To clarify, we see similarities with organisms and classify them accordingly but at times these classifications are very limiting and have become problematic. Case in point Kingdom has begun to be almost obsolete due to the advances of biology today.
That is true, and there are other examples as well; the exact taxonomic position of aardvarks as the most primitive of all living hooved animals for example. But remember what I said before, about science slowly bringing the image of reality into focus. Everytime we have to make some minor change, we're improving our knowledge even further. And its clear that we're still seeing what Darwin detected through the blur of 19th Century understanding.
The taxonomic classifications in fact sometimes contridict or do not correlate with the geological evidence.
I am unaware of any of these occasions ...except perhaps for one.

delhezi.jpg

I have a pet polypterus. It is a lobe-finned fish who looks a lot like a lizard, especially when it stands on its short little front legs. When I first saw it, I was stunned, looking at a living fossil I didn't know even existed. Its obviously a very ancient fish, closely-related to the Sarcopterygiian fish of the Paleozoic era. But the only fossil we actually have of this order comes from the end of the Mesozoic. That is not to say that this order didn't exist when we think they should have appeared. Phylogenetically, they should be much older than the fossils so far indicate. So their kind are typically described as "from the late Cretaceous (and probably much earlier)".
Polypteriformes1.gif

Or are you talking about subjectivity in lieu of sufficient evidence? For example, I always believed that birds were dinosaurs. Now the world at last agrees due to the many transitional species that have since been found in that line so far. Similarly, I always believed that scorpions were descended from Eurypterids, where most paleontologists still don't. But I managed to present a good enough case that some systematists now think I'm right; that both scorpions and arachnids are both nested, (separately) within Eurypterids, and that scorpions should be nested among Mixopterecean eupterids specifically.
4375.jpg

But (as I said) we still lack one critical intermediate in that line to make my position conclusive.
Don't you remember what a miracle is? It is something which is outside, beyond, even counter to the laws of physical reality.
No, that is one aspect to a miracle. A miracle can be within the scope of physical reality. Creation is not defined by the process of miraculous events that do not relate to the physical reality of our universe.
Perhaps. But a miracle is defined as "beyond the scope of reality", (or words to that effect) in many dictionaries.
Creation if defined would be the event that created the laws of our physical reality.
So the Big Bang was the creation event. All the laws of the universe were already set, and everything in existence was designed to look like it didn't need a designer. God is a master of hiding his handiwork. Not the kind of thing one would expect from someone who is allegedly vain and jealous.
Eukaryotic flagella form at the tip, posing a problem with assembly. I mean how do you get all these proteins into the flagellum so that they get in the right formation? Many of the pieces are partly assembled at the base of the flagellum and then transported into the flagellum by a specialized pathway known as Intraflagellar Transport. The basic ingredients are a kinesin-II motor that shuttles precursors into the flagellum, a dynein motor and an IFT "raft" which carrys the material in/out of the flagellum.

So it can not "simply form on the wrong side".
Why not?
The kinesin and dynein motors could be explained by gene duplication. Yet here we would seem to require concurrent duplications, as both motors are essential for flagellar assembly. If you knock out the kenesin-II (also known as fla10), no flagella assemble (the phenotype of called "bald"), as the machine for moving the material into the flagellum is missing. If you knock out the transport dynein, stumpy, non-functional flagella form, as material (including the kinesins) is not carried out of the flagella and so accumulate into a disordered tangle.
What if you didn't knock out anything? What if (as I said before) the flagellum in this case merely pushes instead of pulls? I mean, I could cite many more structural difficulties with growing legs out a fly's head. But we've already proven that can happen with a single alteration. So a flagellum on the "rear" of a cell that doesn't even have a front or back to begin with should be no problem at all.
The evidence of this mutation is as follows: (1.) We know mutations happen randomly in nature, and that on rare occasions, they can be quite dramatic.
Although I agree that this is true, we can not always postulate any unexplained or unproven mechanism in evolution to this : mutations happen so it could happen... explanation. It is an equalivent of God of the Gaps only we replace God with evolution.
Don't forget this one important detail: We know mutations exist. We have no reason to imagine that a god does. Why do you postulate unexplained and unproven mechanisms? This makes your position equivelent to saying; "this doesn't happen, but let's insist that it does anyway." Let's keep things in their proper perspective.
(2.) And we know that even dramatic mutations can be inherited, especially if they're of a beneficial nature. And a rear-mounted flagellum is more efficient in a fluid environment than a front-mounted one, so there certainly would be a selective advantage there.
Again we can always come up with an advantageous explantation which takes the place of actual evidence for such a event.
...including "Goddidit." The trick is, can we come up with an explanation that is still probable without having to postulate any forces or phenomenon which have never been observed, and can neither be verified nor adequately defined in any way? Which are therefore likely imagined, and believed only on faith anyway?
(3.) We know from traveling freak show attractions (among other things) that it is even possible to grow too many limbs, or for limbs to appear in the wrong place.
Yes this is true but the DNA for these "limbs" (or whatever) are already developed (established) within the organism. This is not the case with the flagellum.
Yes it is. Flagellum are just elongated cillia, remember?
(4.) And we know from early laboratory experiments on the genetics of flies that certain genes can be activated by a deliberate mutation to cause legs to grow out of the head instead of the thorax (for example). And these are significantly more complex animals which are much more dependant on integrity of the foundational structure to support their legs than are any single-celled organisms are for their elongated cillia.
As above we can cause this to happen but you must remember that we "intelligent designers" so to speak are manipulating the circumstances in these iinstances.
All we did was duplicate one of several types of mutation that are known to occur naturally, albeit very rarely.
So for a flagellum to appear on the wrong side, or simply to work backwards is not a very big change. It may not even have been a change in position. Many of these cells, (including Ameobas) are surrounded by cillia.
As I have explained this is not probable.
Granted. If it were probable, it would have happened more often. But it is certainly possible. And what is improbable in one generation may be inevitable in a billion generations.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
(5.) All plants and algae share the opposite configuration from microspores, choanoflagellates, and all their presumed descendants. But the protist groups could be of either (or neither) configuration being the most diverse, most ancient, and most basal of all eukaryote life-forms. So if there was a change such as I'm talking about, it had to have happened within that collective group.
It seems to me that there is a discrepancy in the geological evidence regarding when this would have happened. The fossil record does not support the time range for this change.
To my knowledge, it does. I mean, there are no protist fossils I am aware of. This determination was based on the probability of a single inherited trait versus an identical mutation happening independantly in several related lines simultaneously. But what fossils we do have, (including microfossils) do align with the claims of this position. What geologic evidence did you know of, which indicates something else?
And (6.) the evidence that such a change did occur is in the fact that there are no known opisthokont plants or algae, but every last one of the descendants of microspores or choanoflagellates all maintain this trait consistently, whereas, if they were specially and separately created, they wouldn't have to.
But creation does not necessitate specially and separtely created organisms as you have implied.
I didn't imply that. Genesis did.
Lions could be opisthokonts and tigers could be bikonts in that case. But that sort of thing is never ever what we see.
But if God created organisms in the way we see as exemplifed in the geological record we could assume that God created opistohkonts and bikonts and the creation of such does not necessitate anything other than what we do find.
Correct. But that would still mean that the Bible is incorrect in how that was done.
They didn't "begin" to move. In communal organisms like Dictyostellium, they already could move. And each of your own cells is capable of respiring, and of expelling waste.
Now they do.
Single cellular organisms can too. That's what transport vesicles do.
What they needed was something similar to a line of worker ants bringing them food and carrying away the waste. This system of involuntary circulation is so efficient that I think it could hardly be avoided forever, especially considering the manner in which these things eat. If dictyostellium encounters a food source smaller than itself, then it doesn't need to dissolve into its amoebic componants (which can all already move). Instead, it simply engulfs whatever it seeks to consume. Once the food is inside it, other cells milling about will be caked with it, and will inadvertently transport bits of it to other parts of the collective beastie.
But there is no evidence for this correct?
Dictyostellium aren't known from the fossil record. They still exist today, and can be observed to behave this way. And they very much resemble the type of thing we would expect to have the transitional stage from single-celled to multicellular organisms.
Whether you chose to see it or not, its still a fact.
A fact? Truth? I thought that you didn't feel that there was an absolute truth or fact. So if I say that I don't see it, that means I don't see that and to say that I don't "choose" to see it is meaningless. Correct?
No. There are facts; (things which can be quantified, qualified, and/or objectively demonstrated to be true) and there is truth; (an honest statement which is also accurate). But there is no such thing as "absolute" truth, meaning; any claim which "sacred", (beyond question).

I say you choose not to see it because it is plainly and inescapably obvious that an adult gorilla's head is pronouncedly different than a humans' where a baby gorilla's head is not so profoundly different from that of our own children. The proportions of the crest and the brow, and the extension of the jaw, the length of the arms, and all that can be easily measured revealing that baby gorillas resemble people more than adult gorillas do. Either you choose not to see this or you're not very perceptive. I went with the least insulting option.
This is measurable, and therefore not just my opinion.
Measurable in what way?
Anthropometry: the study of human body measurement for use in anthropological classification and comparison.
Dress up a monkey and see how it looks like a baby?
The last of the baby "monkeys" was actually a chimpanzee. But it wasn't wearing anything, and still had many proportions that resemble those of human children more than the adults of their species would.
I see simularity with monkeys. I see simularity in many creatures but to say that are babies are closer to gorillas or vice versa is opinion only.
No it isn't. Like the apes in my examples, each of these monkeys look similar to humans in some slight way, as babies, where they do not retain that semblance in adulthood. The second to the last one (for example) was a baboon. Those are profoundly different as adults, and don't even look like monkeys anymore! But as infants, even these otherwise almost lion-like things still have some human-like qualities. All these are measurable in clearly-objective metric increments, so it is not mere opinion. If you need to, (just as Jet Black said) we can go over the details of each of these measurements to prove that, which is something we couldn't do if it were only an opinion.
One of the scientists in this group, Christine Diaz, is a taxonomist. Her job of observing marine life in the wild, (to classify them) requires her to spend most of her time in a bikini on her schooner when she isn't scuba diving the coral reefs of some tropical island chain. Now how would you like to have that job?
Where do I sign up?
That's how I feel about it too. In my opinion, there is no better job than to be a scientist. And most people seem to think that marine biology is the best option in any field. In the excellent documentary, Blue Planet, one of their scuba divers lept from a low-flying open-cockpit ultralight aircraft trainer, and dove into the ocean next to a 100 foot-long, 140 ton blue whale. Compare that to your current job!

float1.jpg

Upvote 0

Dragar

Like the root of -1
Jan 27, 2004
✟14,331.00
Faith
Atheist
Aron-Ra, I feel I should poke my nose in and say that what you're posting is really fascinating. I didn't realise...well, quite a lot of the stuff here. Being a physics person, you don't pick up much biology. Well, unless you're Jet Black, who seems to absorb information via active transport! (See what I did there? Huh? Witty, huh? ;) )

Upvote 0