Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What the heck are you talking about? You repeatedly misquoted the article, alleging that it was making a claim about all past presidents, when it clearly wasn't. The word "modern" is fundamental to the difference between their actual claim and your mischaracterization of it.

The only thing inelegant here is you, with your misreading of the article and your refusal to admit your error. Don't try to pin your mistakes on us.

Here, a couple of milk bottles to put that in. ;)

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh I see, were stooping to taking advantage of obvious errors that l gave inelegant people enough credit to get past.

If you are that desperate to win an argument, gee, you sure showed me. Lol

I knew what this reminded me of, this is like the covering fire people make when Trump said something silly - again.

'He's only pretending to say this to catch the libs out! 4D Chess!'

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Here, a couple of milk bottles to put that in. ;)

Herein lies the problem.

You've been shown you misquoted and thereby misinterpreted the article in question. They showed you in plain language, and yet here you are, continuing to act indignant as if you're in the right.

It's pretty straightforward. All modern presidents prior to Trump divested themselves of their business interests. Trump has not done so.

Moreover, Trump has clearly directed government money (domestic and foreign) as well as campaign money into his business, primarily through his rental properties. Campaign money going into his business isn't illegal, but it's generally* considered unethical. Government money going into his business is illegal, but no sitting President has been prosecuted for it.

* the only real disagreement about the whether it's ethical to funnel campaign money into ones business is by Trump supporters since learning that Trump engaged in that practice. Prior to that, there was not any significant disagreement about it.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's pretty straightforward. All modern presidents prior to Trump divested themselves of their business interests. Trump has not done so.

One could almost say we trusted....certain posters in this thread to know that this norm has existed since Nixon (hence putting a bound on 'modern') and that all 'modern' presidents by this definition have indeed presented the public with their tax returns - except one.

• Optimistic
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
The stunning hypocrisy of the Trump family's attacks on Hunter Biden

Most of the nation has already come to the realization that Donald J Trump is a "lost cause," but he didn't become President without a strong supporting cast - many of whom either knew or should have known about his fitness to hold public office!

Congressional Republicans and Evangelicals rank at the top of the list of Trump "enablers" and will remain under intense scrutiny for decades to come as to why they could be so irresponsible as to extend their support to an individual who, without question, will go down in American history as its worst President!

As for the attacks on Hunter Biden, any Administration that can boast of positive accomplishments over the past 4 years doesn't need to resort to this kind of negative campaigning - its an open admission of a "failed presidency!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The word "modern" is fundamental to the difference between their actual claim and your mischaracterization of it.

In the context of presidential elections and norms, "modern" generally refers to Nixon or later, or post-Nixon. These norms include the divestment, the release of tax information, TV debates, and the primary process.

Debates (I think I have this right): There were debates on TV in 1960, but not again until 1976 (and every time after that).

Taxes: Nixon is the last pre-Trump major party candidate not to release basic tax info.

Primaries: Primaries were still a fairly minor part of the nomination process in 1968 (the presumed DEM candidate, LBJ, dropped out during the early primaries; a new candidate entered and then was assassinated (RFK) in early June. The eventual nominee had, I believe, been on the ballot in no primaries.)

I don't know the details of divestment, but I think the divestment norm started in roughly the same time frame.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In the context of presidential elections and norms, "modern" generally refers to Nixon or later, or post-Nixon. These norms include the divestment, the release of tax information, TV debates, and the primary process.

Debates (I think I have this right): There were debates on TV in 1960, but not again until 1976 (and every time after that).

Taxes: Nixon is the last pre-Trump major party candidate not to release basic tax info.

Primaries: Primaries were still a fairly minor part of the nomination process in 1968 (the presumed DEM candidate, LBJ, dropped out during the early primaries; a new candidate entered and then was assassinated (RFK) in early June. The eventual nominee had, I believe, been on the ballot in no primaries.)

I don't know the details of divestment, but I think the divestment norm started in roughly the same time frame.

According to my brief googling, everybody back at least as far as LBJ claimed to have divested themselves, though LBJ rather overstated the degree of his divestiture (much of which was tied up in radio and tv stations, interestingly), maintaining frequent contact over special phone lines with the guy managing his "blind" trust. JFK was living off of a trust fund though I'm unclear as to whether he had any insight into its holdings.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]

The Trump family is openly doing everything that's even being suggested -and more- about the Bidens, but the TrumpFans can't do anything but run around screaming about Hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums