Jan 27, 2015
✟11,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is Simon.
( Acts 8:9-11 )

This is what happened to Simon after he heard Phillip preach the gospel of Jesus Christ
( Acts 8:12-13 )

After many believed and were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, they still needed to be filled with the Holy Spirit of GOD to be born again and adopted as a child of GOD.(Romans 8:15)
( Acts 8:14-17 )

Simon did not get filled with the Holy Spirit yet, but wanted to be. He still had not repented or turned from his old ways. His heart was not right before GOD he still needed to repent. GOD looks at the heart, and wanted him to repent and truly turn from his old ways before adopting him by the Spirit of GOD and making him born again of the Spirit.
(Acts 8:18-23)

For 20 years I was a Simon. I believed on Jesus and was baptized just like Simon. But no one told me I had to repent and put to death the sins of my life OR needed the Holy Spirit to enter the kingdom of GOD. (Romans 8:9)

Repentance and Believing (Mark 1:15)....truly repenting & turning from all sin. That's when GOD filled me with His precious Holy Spirit.
Giving me the power to stop committing all the outward sins, and to this day is destroying the secret sins that will also be manifested before the judgement, IE: the lust, the hatred, the un-forgiveness, the evil desires. All of these things no one can see, but CAN keep you from entering into heaven.

If someone takes Romans 10:9-10 out of the epistle and preaches nothing else, we are left with Christians, still committing the same sins they came to Christ with, with no Holy Spirit abiding in them and believing that there is no way to break free from the power of sin in their life. Because there was no true repentance.
By the power of GOD (the Holy Spirit) we must put to death the outward sins, and let GOD deliver us from our secret sins that can keep us from entering into heaven.
(Romans 2:16)
(Galatians 5:16-21)
(Romans 8:13)

Once you receive the Holy Spirit you must walk in the Spirit and be led of the Spirit.
We must pray, read our bibles, meditate on the Word of GOD, worship and praise, and maybe even fast a little :). This is called sowing or feeding the Spirit. (Galatians 6:8) When you do this, and push past the flesh that is fighting you,(it fights hard sometimes) you find the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and all the blessing of peace and joy that many seem to lack but are promised of GOD in Christ Jesus are found! When you are in the Spirit! This kind of joy and love no one can take, because the world does not give it, GOD does, and it is the missing void many try to fill with material things with no success. BUT if you stop sowing to the Spirit you can lose sight of this love and joy as you fall back into the flesh. If you stay too long in the flesh without sowing/getting in the Spirit you are going to be more likely to sin, backslide, do the wrong things. You actually feel like a different person, things irritate you, you think, feel, act differently when you get in the flesh and are not in the Spirit.

So many Christians feel dry in their walk with GOD because they either have not received the Holy Spirit or are simply not getting into the Spirit by doing spiritual things. If you take in the fleshly & worldly things all day and never fill yourself with spiritual things you are making your walk in Christ and making your cross you must carry daily SO SO much heavier/harder than the saint who spends time in the Word, praying, fasting, worshiping GOD. This saint is being strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. He is going from strength to strength even by the Spirit of GOD. He may be the weakest man on earth and the most likely not to succeed. But because he gets into the Spirit of GOD daily he literally is walking in the strength of the Lord and is able to do all that GOD has for him that day. Only by the Spirit of GOD through faith in Jesus Christ.

This is why the devil tries to distract EVERYONE from doing ANYTHING spiritual. Because if you were to yield your time to GOD, spending time with Him in prayer and reading of your word and fasting, you would get into the Spirit and could be led by the Spirit and do something for GOD with power behind it! That is when GOD's word is confirmed with miracles signs and wonders, when the Holy Spirit is leading everything and not our flesh. (Romans 8:14)

Do not be deceived or not knowing of this though, the flesh lusteth against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh. And they are contrary, so that if you remain in the flesh you CAN NOT do the things that ye would.

At this point I predict the enemy/flesh doing what he/it has done to me. Trying to make you feel like serving GOD is very very hard and you will be in this miserable state of struggle your whole life. This is NOT true at all and a lie of the devil. The joy of the Lord and the peace and love you receive by and in the Spirit of GOD in Christ Jesus is so good it is actually better than life. (Psalms 63:3)

The saints of old were being cut in half, killed, stoned, persecuted etc.... The only way they were going to get any joy is if it came from GOD and in the Spirit. Paul addressed this in his Epistles to some of the churches and in (Acts 14:22).

This is where the war comes in. Once saved always saved is not biblical.
There is falling away, being cast away, etc...
Paul kept his flesh in subjection lest by any means he should be cast away in the judgement.
(1 Corinthians 9:27)

Few there be that find this straight and narrow path. (Matthew 7:14)

But lastly I want to again encourage everyone that GOD's perfect love casts out fear. (1 John 4:18). I do believe GOD does not want us to be unsure/fearful of our salvation. We must work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, but the enemy tries to confuse and make us doubt our faith and salvation, I did not write this to have you confused or doubting.

Overall this is what I was trying to get across,
I wanted to encourage all to
Repent, continue in your faith in Christ Jesus, be filled with the Spirit and live holy! Sow to the Spirit and not the flesh, love others, and keep striving to be like Christ in everything and experience GOD's love and peace like never before!

To GOD only be glory in Christ Jesus, forever! Amen!

Also remember, that GOD's love for you is so strong, it passeth understanding!

Last edited:

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
(Joh 16:13) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

(Joh 16:14) He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The Holy Spirit points us to rest in Christ and teaches us to rest in Christ not in our Bible reading, praying, fasting or praising. He takes the things of Christ and shows them to us. He does not glorify Himself but Christ.

(Col 1:13) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

(Col 1:14) In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

(Col 1:15) Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

(Col 1:16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

(Col 1:17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

(Col 1:18) And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

(Col 1:19) For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

The Spirit doesn't point people to Himself nut to Christ and His complete and finished work which is all that a sinner needs to enter into Heaven.

You find that peace that passes understanding no by what you do, because you can nevr do enough to satisfy, but in looking to Christ alone. The works believer either can never find peace because he can not do enough or he becomes self-righteous and thinks his work is pleasing to God and that he is more "spiritual" than others. In both cases no true peace is found.

Trusting and resting in the whole, complete and finished work of Christ alone will give you the freedom to actually work with strength and power because you don't need to do it to earn anything or to feel some false sense of peace.

Every believer works but they never rest or look to their works. Sheep do what comes naturally to a sheep the follow the Shepherd. Yes they stray and often hurt themselves but the Good Shepherd always finds His sheep and brings it into the sheepfold.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is Simon.
(Acts 8:9-11)

This is what happened to Simon after he heard Phillip preach the gospel of Jesus Christ
(Acts 8:12-13)

After many believed and were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, they still needed to be filled with the Holy Spirit of GOD to be born again and adopted as a child of GOD.(Romans 8:15)
(Acts 8:14-17)

Simon did not get filled with the Holy Spirit yet, but wanted to be. He still had not repented or turned from his old ways. His heart was not right before GOD he still needed to repent. GOD looks at the heart, and wanted him to repent and truly turn from his old ways before adopting him by the Spirit of GOD and making him born again of the Spirit.

For 20 years I was a Simon. I believed on Jesus and was baptized just like Simon. But no one told me I had to repent and put to death the sins of my life OR needed the Holy Spirit to enter the kingdom of GOD. (Romans 8:9)

Repentance and Believing (Mark 1:15)....truly repenting & turning from all sin. That's when GOD filled me with His precious Holy Spirit.
Giving me the power to stop committing all the outward sins, and to this day is destroying the secret sins that will also be manifested before the judgement, IE: the lust, the hatred, the un-forgiveness, the evil desires. All of these things no one can see, but CAN keep you from entering into heaven.

If someone takes Romans 10:9-10 out of the epistle and preaches nothing else, we are left with Christians, still committing the same sins they came to Christ with, with no Holy Spirit abiding in them and believing that there is no way to break free from the power of sin in their life. Because there was no true repentance.
By the power of GOD (the Holy Spirit) we must put to death the outward sins, and let GOD deliver us from our secret sins that can keep us from entering into heaven.

Once you receive the Holy Spirit you must walk in the Spirit and be led of the Spirit.
We must pray, read our bibles, meditate on the Word of GOD, worship and praise, and maybe even fast a little :). This is called sowing or feeding the Spirit. (Galatians 6:8) When you do this, and push past the flesh that is fighting you,(it fights hard sometimes) you find the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and all the blessing of peace and joy that many seem to lack but are promised of GOD in Christ Jesus are found! When you are in the Spirit! This kind of joy and love no one can take, because the world does not give it, GOD does, and it is the missing void many try to fill with material things with no success. BUT if you stop sowing to the Spirit you can lose sight of this love and joy as you fall back into the flesh. If you stay too long in the flesh without sowing/getting in the Spirit you are going to be more likely to sin, backslide, do the wrong things. You actually feel like a different person, things irritate you, you think, feel, act differently when you get in the flesh and are not in the Spirit.

So many Christians feel dry in their walk with GOD because they either have not received the Holy Spirit or are simply not getting into the Spirit by doing spiritual things. If you take in the fleshly & worldly things all day and never fill yourself with spiritual things you are making your walk in Christ and making your cross you must carry daily SO SO much heavier/harder than the saint who spends time in the Word, praying, fasting, worshiping GOD. This saint is being strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. He is going from strength to strength even by the Spirit of GOD. He may be the weakest man on earth and the most likely not to succeed. But because he gets into the Spirit of GOD daily he literally is walking in the strength of the Lord and is able to do all that GOD has for him that day. Only by the Spirit of GOD through faith in Jesus Christ.

This is why the devil tries to distract EVERYONE from doing ANYTHING spiritual. Because if you were to yield your time to GOD, spending time with Him in prayer and reading of your word and fasting, you would get into the Spirit and could be led by the Spirit and do something for GOD with power behind it! That is when GOD's word is confirmed with miracles signs and wonders, when the Holy Spirit is leading everything and not our flesh. (Romans 8:14)

Do not be deceived or not knowing of this though, the flesh lusteth against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh. And they are contrary, so that if you remain in the flesh you CAN NOT do the things that ye would.

At this point I predict the enemy/flesh doing what he/it has done to me. Trying to make you feel like serving GOD is very very hard and you will be in this miserable state of struggle your whole life. This is NOT true at all and a lie of the devil. The joy of the Lord and the peace and love you receive by and in the Spirit of GOD in Christ Jesus is so good it is actually better than life. (Psalms 63:3)

The saints of old were being cut in half, killed, stoned, persecuted etc.... The only way they were going to get any joy is if it came from GOD and in the Spirit. Paul addressed this in his Epistles to some of the churches and in (Acts 14:22).

Paul kept his flesh in subjection lest by any means he should be cast away in the judgement.

But lastly I want to again encourage everyone that GOD's perfect love casts out fear. (1 John 4:18). I do believe GOD does not want us to be unsure/fearful of our salvation. We must work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, but the enemy tries to confuse and make us doubt our faith and salvation, I did not write this to have you confused or doubting.

Repent, continue in your faith in Christ Jesus, be filled with the Spirit and live holy! Sow to the Spirit and not the flesh, love others, and keep striving to be like Christ in everything and experience GOD's love and peace like never before!

If you are not a Baptist you are not allowed to teach your strange fire here.

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is Simon.

Great post brother

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is Simon.

Apparently it never happened. Church history records that this Simon became a leader in the Gnostic movement which opposed the gospel.

Upvote 0

NewCreation17

Jan 27, 2015
✟11,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Joh 16:13) Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

(Joh 16:14) He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The Holy Spirit points us to rest in Christ and teaches us to rest in Christ not in our Bible reading, praying, fasting or praising. He takes the things of Christ and shows them to us. He does not glorify Himself but Christ.

(Col 1:13) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

(Col 1:14) In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

(Col 1:15) Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

(Col 1:16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

(Col 1:17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

(Col 1:18) And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

(Col 1:19) For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

The Spirit doesn't point people to Himself nut to Christ and His complete and finished work which is all that a sinner needs to enter into Heaven.

You find that peace that passes understanding no by what you do, because you can nevr do enough to satisfy, but in looking to Christ alone. The works believer either can never find peace because he can not do enough or he becomes self-righteous and thinks his work is pleasing to God and that he is more "spiritual" than others. In both cases no true peace is found.

Trusting and resting in the whole, complete and finished work of Christ alone will give you the freedom to actually work with strength and power because you don't need to do it to earn anything or to feel some false sense of peace.

Every believer works but they never rest or look to their works. Sheep do what comes naturally to a sheep the follow the Shepherd. Yes they stray and often hurt themselves but the Good Shepherd always finds His sheep and brings it into the sheepfold.

Galatians 5:16 "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."

I wanted to encourage the children of GOD how to "walk in the Spirit". Whether we are saved and Spirit filled or not, the flesh is "warring against the Spirit" (Galatians 5:17). But since we all must put to death the deeds of the flesh and live holy in Christ Jesus, I wanted people to know how to do that AND have a satisfying relationship with GOD that is better than the deceitful pleasures of sin. We all must do what is written in Romans 8:13 and put to death the deeds of the flesh. for they that are Christs have crucified the flesh with its affections and lusts. (Galatians 5:24) and (1 John 3:6)

Romans 8:5 "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

Daily we should be after "the things of the Spirit" and not the flesh, so that we might walk in victory over the flesh in the power Jesus Christ has given unto His church. (Acts 1:8). Because if we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16)

For it is possible for a child of GOD who has believed on Christ Jesus and been adopted by the Spirit of GOD to fall away or go back to living after the flesh. (As some say "backsliding", as Demas did in 2 Timothy 4:10 ) We must learn to be in and walk in the Spirit.

Romans 8:13 "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live"

These are just some of the works of the flesh: Galatians 5:19-21

Children of GOD are going through a war on multiple levels. (Ephesians 6:10-18) Take special notice of verse 18.

Since there is a difference between being "in the flesh" and being "in the Spirit", and knowing we are in a war that can not be fought/won in the flesh, the devil and demons try to take our mind off of Christ Jesus and GOD and His word and prayer. (because the Word of GOD is our weapon Ephesians 6:17, and the Spirit uses the word like a sword which is quick and powerful!) This world has so much going on that we never do enough spiritual things to get "in the Spirit."

John was "in the Spirit" on the Lords day when he had the revelation of Jesus Christ to give unto the churches.
Revelations 1:10

Jesus Christ is the center of everything we need, It is all found in Him by faith. He gives it to us by His Spirit. Only in Christ Jesus by the Spirit of GOD. Jesus Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father in Heaven. When He was on earth He comforted his disciples and all those He was with. Though He left in bodily form and went to heaven, He did not leave us alone or comfortless but has sent unto us His Spirit! The Holy Spirit does for us all that Jesus Christ did for His disciples when He was on earth. (John 16:7-13)

I seek only to point people to Christ Jesus. I know you replied
"You find that peace that passes understanding no by what you do, because you can nevr do enough to satisfy, but in looking to Christ alone."

Salvation, peace, love, joy, and all of GODs promises are not by works, but by His grace through faith in Christ Jesus. I agree it is in Christ alone but it is by the Spirit. So if Christ said the comfort is from His Holy Spirit He will send us, and the Word of GOD tells us there is a difference between being "in the Spirit" and "in the flesh", it is important His people know how to be "in the Spirit", and not "in the flesh" so you can receive all that our Lord Christ Jesus has for us! We want to be "in the Spirit" as John was in Revelations 1:10.
We should be spiritually minded, and not carnally minded.
Romans 8:6 "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."
Isaiah 26:3 " Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

I just wanted to share with everyone
1. How to be filled with the Holy Spirit according to scripture
2. How to walk in the Spirit and be "in the Spirit" so that everyone can have a deeper walk with Christ and be found standing and living holy not fulfilling the lusts of the flesh. For we must put to death all sin in our mortal bodies, and live holy by the power of the Holy Ghost.
But
1 John 2:1 "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

I hope I did not give the wrong message in my first post, I only want to point to Christ Jesus and Him crucified. And I want my brothers and sisters to have joy and be found standing when Christ returns for His own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is Simon.

First off, please read the entire passage about Simon Magus.

Yes it is true scripture records his "believing" and being "baptized", but there is more to the story.

And I do see your point in the story. However, Peter shows he was not saved to begin with.

So on this account, you cannot use this passage to prove OSAS is not biblical.

Likewise, in Matt. 7:22-23 we see the same thing. People saying they were Christians, but ultimately, not saved to begin with.

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

No one here argues against that. However, I can show apostles that were Spirit led and still sinned.

It also sounds like you want to promote a "sinless perfection" belief.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

Yes it is true scripture records his "believing" and being "baptized", but there is more to the story.

And I do see your point in the story. However, Peter shows he was not saved to begin with.

Likewise, in Matt. 7:22-23 we see the same thing. People saying they were Christians, but ultimately, not saved to begin with.

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

No one here argues against that. However, I can show apostles that were Spirit led and still sinned.

God Bless

Till all are one.

I would like to point out 2 things for discussion :

Acts: 8. 12. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. 14. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Simon was not the reason Peter and John went to Samaria, they were completing the work of Phillip.
I believe every Word in the Bible, is true and The Holy Ghost will not speak of himself because he is the Spirit of truth.
But I will never speak to diminish the power of the Holy Ghost,because He is God.
There are three that are one in the God head ,and it is not easy to wrap your head around but God is a Spirit was made flesh for the remission of sin in all mankind.
When Christ was Baptized the Holy Spirit came upon him, yet the Father proclaimed This is my only begotten Son in whom I am well pleased.
Here is a time when we see all three in one place separate yet one.
The Holy Ghost was given to man and indwelling all in Christ ,this means he is omnipresent just as God.

Not in this thread but all to often I here that The Holy Spirit is not working the same wonders he did after Pentecost, God does not change nor will he ever.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Acts: 8. 12. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13. Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. 14. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Simon was not the reason Peter and John went to Samaria, they were completing the work of Phillip.
I believe every Word in the Bible, is true and The Holy Ghost will not speak of himself because he is the Spirit of truth.
But I will never speak to diminish the power of the Holy Ghost,because He is God.
There are three that are one in the God head ,and it is not easy to wrap your head around but God is a Spirit was made flesh for the remission of sin in all mankind.
When Christ was Baptized the Holy Spirit came upon him, yet the Father proclaimed This is my only begotten Son in whom I am well pleased.
The Holy Ghost was given to man and indwelling all in Christ ,this means he is omnipresent just as God.

Not in this thread but all to often I here that The Holy Spirit is not working the same wonders he did after Pentecost, God does not change nor will he ever.

What I have highlighted is what I have a problem with.

God is, of course, God.

Jesus Christ is the God-man.

The Holy Spirit is God the Spirit.

Jesus being God, tell me why He would need to have the Holy Spirit "come upon him"?

The best testimony against Jesus the God-man being infilled with the Holy Spirit is John 1:32.

"Καὶ ἐμαρτύρησεν Ἰωάννης λέγων ὅτι Τεθέαμαι τὸ πνεῦμα καταβαῖνον ὡς περιστερὰν ἐξ οὐρανοῦ, καὶ ἔμεινεν ἐπ' αὐτόν:"

"μένω,v \{men'-o}
1) to remain, abide 1a) in reference to place 1a1) to sojourn, tarry 1a2) not to depart 1a2a) to continue to be present 1a2b) to be held, kept, continually 1b) in reference to time 1b1) to continue to be, not to perish, to last, endure 1b1a) of persons, to survive, live 1c) in reference to state or condition 1c1) to remain as one, not to become another or different 2) to wait for, await one "

Source

According to the New Analytical Greek Lexicon, we find the usage in Jn. 1:32 means "to rest, settle".

The New Analytical Greek Lexicon, Wesley J. Perschbacher, Hendrickson Publishing Co., Peabody, Mass., 01962, Copyright 1990, p. 270

We also know from scriptures:

"And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him." -Lk. 2:40 (KJV)

Also, according to scriptures, wasn't John the Baptist filled with the Holy Spirit in the womb? (cf. Lk. 1:15)

So, why would God (Jesus) need God (Holy Spirit)?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was not Mary told "that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." -Mt. 1:20 (KJV)

Somehow, the way you put it, Jesus the God-man, Word made flesh, was lacking something. God was lacking something in "Word made flesh" in order to fulfill His mission on earth.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I will only make one comment so as to not foster debate. The Scriptures do not say that God is "a" Spirit but that God is Spirit. There is a world of difference.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I will only make one comment so as to not foster debate. The Scriptures do not say that God is "a" Spirit but that God is Spirit. There is a world of difference.

Hello Twin,I do remember some time ago you mentioned this.
It's most likely a Bible version difference :

John: 4. 24. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Twin,I do remember some time ago you mentioned this.
It's most likely a Bible version difference :

John: 4. 24. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
There is no word for "a" in the Greek. It is often implied but in this case it shouldn't be.

God is spirit is enough and carries the idea that He cannot be seen except in the Son.

God is "a" spirit carries the idea that He is one among many.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Was not Mary told "that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." -Mt. 1:20 (KJV)

Somehow, the way you put it, Jesus the God-man, Word made flesh, was lacking something. God was lacking something in "Word made flesh" in order to fulfill His mission on earth.

God Bless

Till all are one.

There are many references that Christ was a human, for the purpose of God's plan of redemption.

The comforter is mentioned in John as the Spirit of Truth ,this if the Holy Spirit was the Father we could say God is a Spirit.

Even still if we use the context (The Spirit of God) we can still see 2 persons God the Father and the Spirit of God

Luke: 3. 22. And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

The Dove in bodily shape was symbolic of the anointing of The High Priest, due to wing shape as it fluttered would form a C.and the anointing went from temple to temple on the High Priests head.

The Holy Spirit appeared in different ways in the Old Testament as well,as Fire by night for example.
John: 1. 32. And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

The verse is symbolic in meaning,the explanation of the shape of fluttering wings and the symbolic anointing will take some more study.
The Hermeneutics depend on the translation of type of Greek as to the use of a.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There is no word for "a" in the Greek. It is often implied but in this case it shouldn't be.

God is spirit is enough and carries the idea that He cannot be seen except in the Son.

God is "a" spirit carries the idea that He is one among many.

In Genesis to paraphrase : Let us go down and make man.
In John The Spirit of truth would imply the same thing.

But the King James is what I use and I'm sure there are changes among translations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Holy Spirit appeared in different ways in the Old Testament as well,as Fire by night for example.

Sorry to disagree, but, in Ex. 13:21 where we see God leading the Hebrews :

"And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:"

In the Hebrew, we see:

"ויהוה הלך לפניהם יומם בעמוד ענן לנחתם הדרך ולילה בעמוד אש להאיר להם ללכת יומם ולילה"

Strongs Number: 3068

Proper name "Yhvh"

"is given Exodus 3:12-15 as the name of the God who revealed Himself to Moses at Horeb,"

Source

That is, unless you say it was God the Spirit who revealed Himself on Mt. Sinai.

There is no reason for us to believe that it was not God the Father, first person of the trinity, first person in the God-head that led the Israelites by day as a cloud or by night as a pillar of fire.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
God revealed himself to Moses ,while Moses stayed in the cleft of a rock.
No man could see the face of God and live,Moses looked upon his back.

Exodus: 33. 2. And I will send an angel before thee; and I will drive out the Canaanite, the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite: 3. Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou art a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way. 4. And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put on him his ornaments. 5. For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee. 6. And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb. 7. And Moses took the tabernacle, and pitched it without the camp, afar off from the camp, and called it the Tabernacle of the congregation. And it came to pass, that every one which sought the LORD went out unto the tabernacle of the congregation, which was without the camp. 8. And it came to pass, when Moses went out unto the tabernacle, that all the people rose up, and stood every man at his tent door, and looked after Moses, until he was gone into the tabernacle. 9. And it came to pass, as Moses entered into the tabernacle, the cloudy pillar descended, and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and the LORD talked with Moses. 10. And all the people saw the cloudy pillar stand at the tabernacle door: and all the people rose up and worshipped, every man in his tent door. 11. And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle. 12. And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight. 13. Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people. 14. And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest. 15. And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. 16. For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth. 17. And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name. 18. And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 19. And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. 20. And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. 21. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: 22. And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23. And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Moses stood before a cloudy pillar and spoke face to face.
In verse 20 God the Father is granting Moses a request but makes it clear he cannot see his face,but in the temple Moses stood face to face with the Lord and spoke to him as a friend.

You know Deacon it's a tough one to discern, God being one yet three.
Maybe just over in glory land we will find out together.
God Bless.

Upvote 0

NewCreation17

Jan 27, 2015
✟11,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God Bless

Till all are one.

These few verses are what I was trying to say

Acts 11:18
Mark 1:15
Acts 2:38-39
Hebrews 6:1

Turning from sin and the love of the world and true repentance and change of course/mind is required along with believing on Jesus Christ to be filled with the Holy Spirit and be adopted into the family of GOD.

If you only believe on Christ but have not repented / are not ready to put to death the sin in your life or let go of something you put before GOD you have neglected the true gospel and purpose Jesus came for.

A few things He did come for was to offer forgiveness of our sins by His innocent blood shed AND deliver us from the power of darkness working in our flesh by the power of the Holy Ghost. By giving us the Holy Spirit and making us born again with a new nature (the divine nature). (Colossians 1:13-14 & Titus 3:5)
This new creature is by and in the Spirit,(John 3:6-7) and we must get "in the Spirit" daily to not walk in the flesh. For anyone who is filled with the Holy Spirit and does not "sow to the Spirit" (Galatians 6:8) can fall into sin because they are in the flesh too much. And the flesh never stops warring against the Spirit. (Galatians 5:17). Also GOD tells us (Galatians 5:16)

And Romans 8:5-9
And Romans 8:12-13

We as Children of GOD having our names written in the Lambs book of life must "not live after the flesh" or will not make it in to Heaven, we will die and not receive the eternal life. But we must through the Spirit put to death the deeds of the flesh."

So

Repent and believe on Jesus Christ and receive the Holy Spirit to be born again in the Spirit, (the flesh profits nothing) and have a new godly nature dwelling in you.
Get in the Spirit daily to see the fruit of that new nature and feed the Spirit to get "in the Spirit" and be able to resist and put to death the deeds of the flesh. (Romans 8:12-13)

If any Child of GOD filled with the Holy Spirit does not take up His cross daily and never seeks after the things of the Spirit but does fleshly things all day, It will be MUCH harder to resist the pull of the flesh that always serves sins and lusts.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God revealed himself to Moses ,while Moses stayed in the cleft of a rock.
No man could see the face of God and live,Moses looked upon his back.

Exodus: 33. 2. And I will send an angel before thee; and I will drive out the Canaanite, the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite: 3. Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou art a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way. 4. And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put on him his ornaments. 5. For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee. 6. And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb. 7. And Moses took the tabernacle, and pitched it without the camp, afar off from the camp, and called it the Tabernacle of the congregation. And it came to pass, that every one which sought the LORD went out unto the tabernacle of the congregation, which was without the camp. 8. And it came to pass, when Moses went out unto the tabernacle, that all the people rose up, and stood every man at his tent door, and looked after Moses, until he was gone into the tabernacle. 9. And it came to pass, as Moses entered into the tabernacle, the cloudy pillar descended, and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and the LORD talked with Moses. 10. And all the people saw the cloudy pillar stand at the tabernacle door: and all the people rose up and worshipped, every man in his tent door. 11. And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle. 12. And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight. 13. Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people. 14. And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest. 15. And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. 16. For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth. 17. And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name. 18. And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 19. And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. 20. And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. 21. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: 22. And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23. And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Moses stood before a cloudy pillar and spoke face to face.
In verse 20 God the Father is granting Moses a request but makes it clear he cannot see his face,but in the temple Moses stood face to face with the Lord and spoke to him as a friend.

You know Deacon it's a tough one to discern, God being one yet three.
Maybe just over in glory land we will find out together.
God Bless.

I'm done arguing this.

You want to believe that it was the Holy Spirit leading the Israelites from Egypt, fine.

Scriptures say it was the great "I AM".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
These few verses are what I was trying to say

Acts 11:18
Mark 1:15
Acts 2:38-39
Hebrews 6:1

Turning from sin and the love of the world and true repentance and change of course/mind is required along with believing on Jesus Christ to be filled with the Holy Spirit and be adopted into the family of GOD.

If you only believe on Christ but have not repented / are not ready to put to death the sin in your life or let go of something you put before GOD you have neglected the true gospel and purpose Jesus came for.

A few things He did come for was to offer forgiveness of our sins by His innocent blood shed AND deliver us from the power of darkness working in our flesh by the power of the Holy Ghost. By giving us the Holy Spirit and making us born again with a new nature (the divine nature). (Colossians 1:13-14 & Titus 3:5)
This new creature is by and in the Spirit,(John 3:6-7) and we must get "in the Spirit" daily to not walk in the flesh. For anyone who is filled with the Holy Spirit and does not "sow to the Spirit" (Galatians 6:8) can fall into sin because they are in the flesh too much. And the flesh never stops warring against the Spirit. (Galatians 5:17). Also GOD tells us (Galatians 5:16)

And Romans 8:5-9
And Romans 8:12-13

We as Children of GOD having our names written in the Lambs book of life must "not live after the flesh" or will not make it in to Heaven, we will die and not receive the eternal life. But we must through the Spirit put to death the deeds of the flesh."

So

Repent and believe on Jesus Christ and receive the Holy Spirit to be born again in the Spirit, (the flesh profits nothing) and have a new godly nature dwelling in you.
Get in the Spirit daily to see the fruit of that new nature and feed the Spirit to get "in the Spirit" and be able to resist and put to death the deeds of the flesh. (Romans 8:12-13)

If any Child of GOD filled with the Holy Spirit does not take up His cross daily and never seeks after the things of the Spirit but does fleshly things all day, It will be MUCH harder to resist the pull of the flesh that always serves sins and lusts.

Again, I'm not arguing against any of that.

My point, even in the New Testament, shows that no one, not even the Apostles could achieve that.

Complete sanctification is a myth.

If it was possible, then John wouldn't have needed to write 1 Jn. 1:8-10.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0