The Stoned Ape Theory: the wild idea that psychedelics shaped the evolution of humans

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Although people call it a theory, it's really just a hypothesis. But -- a very alluring one.
1678210959827.png
How we got to be here is one of humanity’s most enduring questions. And it comes in many layers: first in understanding how the Universe formed, then how life appeared on Earth, and how we, humans, specifically came to be. We have a pretty good handle on where and how humans evolved, but there’s a side quest that has been alluding scientists since the first glimmers of philosophy: the origin of human consciousness.​
Suffice it to say, we still don’t know how exactly we’ve been granted this extraordinary gift. We may never know for sure. But as always, we have some theories. Some have attributed this great leap in cognitive development to the use of tools, while others point to the development of language. And one of the more creative origin hypotheses involves drugs.​
This theory, known as the “Stoned Ape Theory,” suggests that the key to understanding the evolution of human consciousness may lie in the consumption of psychedelics.​
The theory, first proposed by Terence McKenna in the 1990s, suggests that the use of psychedelics played a crucial role in the evolution of early human ancestors. According to McKenna, the consumption of psychedelics, particularly psilocybin mushrooms, allowed our ancestors to develop advanced cognitive abilities, such as language and abstract thinking.​
The theory is based on the idea that early human ancestors, living in African savannas around 2 million years ago, began consuming psilocybin mushrooms that grew on the dung of grazing animals. These mushrooms, which contain the psychoactive compound psilocybin, would have had a profound effect on the brain, leading to increased neural plasticity and the development of new cognitive abilities.​
As wild as it may sound, there are actually some merits to this idea. On the flipside, critics highlight the fact that the Stone Ape Theory is pure speculation.​

• Informative
Reactions: dlamberth

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟239,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I lean toward the "pure speculation" side of this. It's possible that these 'shrooms might have had some effect in our development, but I feel like it wouldn't have happened until after our consciousness ramped up. And, the affects of any psychedelics on our cognition would be a result of traits and abilities that had already evolved.

IMO, consciousness is the result of layers of nerve tissue. And we have in our DNA the evidence for our cognition in the form of genes that increase the development of those layers as well as the development of the types of neurons that seem to be responsible for self-awareness and consciousness. This in addition to our learning the cook food and create calorically dense meals for ourselves all contribute to that higher intelligence and consciousness seen in humans.

That certainly doesn't mean that other animals lack this self-awareness, intelligence or consciousness, even if not on the same level. It's a spectrum.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Although people call it a theory, it's really just a hypothesis. But -- a very alluring one.
Jeremiah 2:27 Saying to a stock, Thou art my father; and to a stone, Thou hast brought me forth: for they have turned their back unto me, and not their face: but in the time of their trouble they will say, Arise, and save us.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟408,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I heard it in the 60s and 70s. But psychedelics only made me crazy, dissatisfied, and depressed. You might think this was a good motivator for change. It just lead to emotional and spiritual rebellion and death. It took me a lot of years to get back to life and to Jesus! Jesus is the life and I’m no ape.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟137,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How we got to be here is one of humanity’s most enduring questions. And it comes in many layers: first in understanding how the Universe formed, then how life appeared on Earth, and how we, humans, specifically came to be. We have a pretty good handle on where and how humans evolved, but there’s a side quest that has been alluding scientists since the first glimmers of philosophy: the origin of human consciousness.​
Suffice it to say, we still don’t know how exactly we’ve been granted this extraordinary gift. We may never know for sure. But as always, we have some theories. Some have attributed this great leap in cognitive development to the use of tools, while others point to the development of language. And one of the more creative origin hypotheses involves drugs.​
This theory, known as the “Stoned Ape Theory,” suggests that the key to understanding the evolution of human consciousness may lie in the consumption of psychedelics.​
The theory, first proposed by Terence McKenna in the 1990s, suggests that the use of psychedelics played a crucial role in the evolution of early human ancestors. According to McKenna, the consumption of psychedelics, particularly psilocybin mushrooms, allowed our ancestors to develop advanced cognitive abilities, such as language and abstract thinking.​
The theory is based on the idea that early human ancestors, living in African savannas around 2 million years ago, began consuming psilocybin mushrooms that grew on the dung of grazing animals. These mushrooms, which contain the psychoactive compound psilocybin, would have had a profound effect on the brain, leading to increased neural plasticity and the development of new cognitive abilities.​
As wild as it may sound, there are actually some merits to this idea. On the flipside, critics highlight the fact that the Stone Ape Theory is pure speculation.​
I had a dog that used to catch toads and hold them in his mouth. His mouth would foam like he had rabies then he would sit there and stare at the sky.
I got another dog and he taught him to do it too.
If animals get high it’s not so hard to believe that ancient humans did too.

Upvote 0