Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
JEREMIAH'S CALL to be a PROPHET

Jeremiah came from a little town almost four miles from Jerusalem, called Anathoth. It was one of the Levitical cities. There in Anathoth, Jeremiah had diligently studied the Scriptures. Today, some want to hear the Spirit speak prophetic announcements to them. However, if these ones neglect to study the Word of God, they will find God will not speak those announcements to them. If they insult God by ignoring and neglecting His Written Word, then the Lord will not bless them with speaking to them His personal Word. Jeremiah did study the Word. Therefore, the Lord spoke to Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 1:4-9
"Then the word of the Lord came unto me... thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee, thou shalt speak. Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord. Then the Lord put forth His hand, and touched my mouth, And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put My words in thy mouth."

Jeremiah was not a volunteer. He was drafted to be God's prophet. All his life, he remained somewhat unwilling. He did not want to begin, and often he wanted to quit. All of God's prophets seem unwilling. To truly understand the nature of the office of prophet, will naturally make one reluctant to accept its responsibilities. Even so, when called of God, there is an inner compulsion that drives one.

Note what Jeremiah said in chapter 20:9:
"If I say, I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name, then there is in my heart ... a burning fire shut up in my bones, and ... I cannot contain."

Every truly-called prophet of God knows that feeling expressed by Jeremiah. Surely, prophets would rather be doorkeepers for the Lord -- but that inner compulsion put there by the Lord drives them to speak the words that are burning within their beings.

God touched the mouths of both Isaiah and Jeremiah - though for different reasons. Isaiah was touched and cleansed of the wrong things that he had thereto spoken. Jeremiah was touched for empowering. He was filled with a message from God, and empowered to speak it, no matter what opposition he would see as he spoke it. Daniel and Ezekiel had similar experiences. Daniel was touched for strength (Daniel 10:16). Ezekiel was touched for food (Ezekiel 2:8, 3:3).

In the call of every prophet, an eloquence is given, a power is imparted, and a special cleansing is necessarily provided. We live in the age since the righteousness of Jesus has been provided by His crucifixion and resurrection.

With this special atonement and justification so easily obtained by us, we are prime candidates to receive a special calling. The great eloquence is provided by the Comforter (the Holy Spirit) sent from heaven to fill and empower us with miraculous gifts. Therefore, with special anointing power to do the work of a prophet, we - the saints of today- are to accept this office - and go forth and fulfill the great commission that God has spoken to us.

Matthew 28:19-20
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations... teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..."

The called prophet of God will face opposition. The religious community is the source of the toughest opposition. The disciples went from town to town.

When rejected, they simply shook the dust of the town from their clothes, and went on to the next city. This type of opposition is difficult enough to face. However, when one is attacked and opposed for doing the Godly, Biblical thing - by those in the church - this is appalling and devastating. The prophet who is truly called of God will find that it will be those in the religious community that will oppose the work and calling that God has put on the prophet's life.

Moses expected Pharaoh and the other Egyptians to oppose his work. It was a little harder when the children of Israel began to criticize his ministry. Then when his own family, Aaron and Miriam stood against him... that was the deepest hurt. He was criticized by Aaron and Miriam for marrying an Ethiopian woman. God put leprosy upon them for criticizing the prophet Moses.
Zechariah, a prophet and a priest, was stabbed as he was going into the Holy Place of the Temple. By the location, we know it had to be another priest that killed him. Zechariah's opposition stemmed from the fact that he presented God as the "Lord of Hosts." This means the "Lord of everyone."

There are many religious people today who want God to be exclusively theirs. They do not want the sinner saved on the street at midnight last week coming to their church. They would rather he go to a church designed for the former alcoholic, the down-and-outers, and the poor. Many do not want to have a prophet who will win the lost who are weak, sick, poor, or ill mannered. They want a classier congregation. They won't mind encouraging the prophet who goes to the downtown bars to win souls, as long as he doesn't bring the converts to their church. They will support the missionary to the poor in far off countries, but they don't want their church helping the poor in their community with a soup kitchen.

This type of opposition was faced by Zechariah. He died for constantly reminding the religious community of his day, that God loves everyone. A true prophet will find that those in the church are the toughest opposition to be found.

John, the apostle of love, had a great ministry. Yet, a man named Diotrephes opposed him. Diotrephes did not want John coming to "his church." John tells us that Diotrephes wanted the "preeminence".

Today, much opposition is caused by jealousy, and self-seeking. Many a pastor fears the work of the prophets in a church. Yet, if we are all in the will of God, the ministries should complement, not compete. Too many churches today will reject anyone who assumes a God-given prophetic ministry. They will oppose that one, till they leave. They will seek to "warn" other churches to beware of the prophet of God. There are many Diotrephes - in Christianity today.

Jesus faced the Pharisees and Sadducees in that day. They opposed Jesus, because of His popularity with the crowds. Jesus did not fit their mold, and condemn what they condemned. He did not build their ministry, He built the kingdom of God. He did not assume a "holier than thou" attitude. No - He took the form of a servant. He was therefore hated and schemed against by the religious people of His day. They finally planned the crucifixion.

The prophets of today are also hated, feared, and opposed by the religious people of today.

Jeremiah faced much opposition. It will amaze anyone studying his life, the type and amount of opposition that Jeremiah had to face. Jeremiah was raised in a religious community. He had seen other men assume the prophetic ministry. He had observed the way they were treated by the priesthood. When God called Jeremiah to do the work of a prophet, Jeremiah was understandably reluctant.

This is why Jesus said:
Matthew 22:14
"Many are called, but few are chosen."

Many, if not all, saints are called to assume a prophetic ministry in these last days. Few will hear the call. Fewer will answer the call. The opposition is great, the responsibility is immense, and the task is humanly impossible.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE GIFT OF EXHORTATION

This word "exhortation" literally means "a calling to one's side, and to their aid."

The person with this gift urges one to pursue some course of conduct. The teacher helps one to see and to understand, but the exhorter helps one to do.

Barnabas was a "son of encouragement." (Acts 4:36) He came to Paul's aid when others shunned him (Acts 9:27). He came to John Mark's side when Paul rejected him (Acts 15:39). Apparently, Barnabas succeeded in helping John Mark (I Tim. 4:11).

This type of ministry is vital to a church. They give counsel, guidance. They minister to aching hearts, to the hurting, and to the "weary and heavy laden."

Some people fear to have others who counsel in the church. Yet the Spirit gives the gift of exhortation as He wishes. True counseling requires so much time, counsel, and intercession, that one person cannot handle the needs of a congregation. The church need not fear when people that are gifted with this ministry respond to the Spirit and do this work. Actually, there is seldom a problem with too many exhorters. There is often a problem with too many gossips, too many condemners, and too many faultfinders. Let's pray for more exhorters.

The gift of exhortation may be used in sermon preparation, in lesson teaching, or in "one on one" encouragement.

Hebrews 10:24-25
"And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

The church has lost much of its power and ministry through the years. The early church had much power and a fantastic ministry. However, since those early years, the healing ministry has mostly been lost until the latter rain revival has brought some of it back. The baptism of the Holy Spirit was lost from most of the congregations through much of church history. Recently, intercessory prayer has again been revealed to the church. Now the Spirit has been speaking to many in the church about the ministry gift of exhortation.

The church of the last days is to EXHORT one another... and "so much the more as you see the day approaching." This should show the church that the gift of exhortation is vitally important in the last days.

I Timothy 4:13
"Till I come, give attendance to reading, TO EXHORTATION, to doctrine."

The word for "exhortation" is the Greek word - "paraklesis." This word means "a calling to one's side, a comforter, an advocate..." Thus, we are told to be ready to come to the side of the others in the church. Reading, doctrine, study, and proper teaching are to be used in conjunction to this exhortation.

Because the church has strayed from, and neglected this ministry of exhortation, the church has become fragmented and divided. Therefore it is now filled with tares, hypocrites, weak, and spiritually impoverished Christians. Since the church has strayed from obeying the "reading" and "doctrine" part, the church is also filled with false doctrines, heresies, and misconceptions. A great deal of truth has been lost to many saints through the years.

Exhortation is the ministry gift that was to prevent the straying, and the losing of truth, power and harmony of the church. The church needs to look again at I Timothy 4:13, and Hebrews.10:24-25... The church needs to repent of years of disobedience to that teaching. The church needs to examine the gift of exhortation and begin to exercise that gift again.

The Holy Spirit is called the "COMFORTER". This word is from the Greek - PARACLETE. It has the same roots as the word "paraklesis." The Spirit is our comforter, encourager, convicter, and advocate. He is the One sent to our side to speak to us, to encourage us, to correct us, and to help us. He is a loving, caring, and purifying effect in our lives. He is easily grieved, and can sometimes be difficult to hear when we stray from the Word of God. Sometimes the Spirit is not being heard by some within the church who are in grief, troubled, hurt, angry, or drawn away by false doctrines.

Just as the Holy Spirit brings us to Christ, and Christ brings us to God the Father, we in the church are to exhort and bring some who are not hearing the voice of the Spirit back to a place where they can again hear God's Word. The ministry gift of exhortation is given to the church to enable us to lovingly correct, and lovingly encourage, and lovingly direct some within the church.

As we get close to the rapture of the church, there should be a restoration of this gift of exhortation to the church. It is needed more now than ever before. The Lord is desiring to return for a church that is pure, holy, without spot or wrinkle... and this gift is needed to restore the church to this condition. Also, the latter rain revival needs power. Power can flow better through a loving, caring, exhorting church. Too often the church of today has been accurately called the "only army that shoots its wounded." The Bible encouraged us exhort "so much the more as you see the day approaching."

If the church congregations did exhort as the Bible instructed us to do, what would be the results?

How many strayed Christians would still be saved??

How many discouraged Christians would have been encouraged and able to serve the Lord happily???

How many sinning Christians would have been corrected? (Love will correct many problems before people get so hard-hearted and callous that even an atomic bomb won't move them.)

How many misled Christians would have been shown the truth???

The church has neglected this ministry gift of exhortation too long. One of man's first sins was Cain's - "Am I my brother's keeper?" For too long the church has been verbally or mentally re-iterating this same sentiment of Cain.
Jesus tried to teach us with the illustrated lesson of washing the disciples' feet. The church has, for the most part, ignored that story. The humble service and caring for our brother or sister is a lesson we cannot afford to ignore, if we want to have the church be the pure, holy, and spotless church that our Lord desires for the church to become before the rapture. This gift of exhortation needs to be sought through prayer... It needs restored immediately. We're already too late for many situations.

I Thessalonians 2:3
"For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile."

True exhortation should be marked by a lack of "deceit." The Greek word (plane) means "fraudulence, straying from orthodoxy, error." Too much exhortation done in our day is deceitful. Some exhort to treat God like a business investment or a "sugar daddy." Some exhort things that are not scriptural or doctrinally correct.

There is a doctrine being taught today called the "prosperity gospel." I believe that God does prosper His own, but not always in dollars, new cars, and mansions. We are instructed to lay up our treasures in heaven, and not on the earth. So the exhortations that teach saints to be concerned with big bank accounts is leading people to an emphasis that is unscriptural.

The Scriptures teach us to give, to lend, and to be sacrificial. They do not tell us to do it in the hopes of material gain. They tell us to do it in love. The Bible tells of a "gift of giving." I do not find it teaching, as do some today, about a "gift of receiving." Our receiving is done so we may give... If some of these deceitful teachers would change their emphasis to GIVING, they would lose their audience. The reason the audience is wanting to know how to receive, is because most want to hoard, and be rich in material things.

Some exhortation of our times is marked by "uncleanness." This is from the Greek word -"akatharsia." This refers to "corrupt passions." This exhortation in "uncleanness" is marred by the encouragement to satisfy the fleshly desires that war against the spirit. These "ear tickling" messages cater to the fleshly desires of the listeners.

Some denominations today are trying to validate the sins of homosexuality, sex outside of marriage, and the murdering of the unborn. They cater to the fleshly desires of the people. They do not want to exhort with the truth of the Bible, they taint the Scriptures with their false exhortations.

Some exhortation is marked by "guile." This comes from the Greek word- "dolos", which means "lying, falsity". Too much of what comes from pulpits, and from saints in the foyers, is false, deceitful, and lies inspired by the devil. This talk sounds harsh, but unfortunately, it is true. Half truths, twisted truths, and outright lies are told in many churches weekly. People try to do as Jacob did when he lied to his father that he was Esau. He wanted the birthright so much that he prevaricated to get it. Abraham lied attempting to protect Sara. In churches today people lie for what they think are good motives. Yet, a lie is still a lie.

Some ministers have been taken by a practice that is called in some quarters - "priming the pump." In order to encourage the faith and zeal of a congregation, one minister had a woman pretend to be a witch who was cursing the church and soon-coming revival services. The woman was a plant from the camp of the evangelist. The congregation prayed hard and backed the revival crusade more fervently because they believed the deception. This "priming of the pump" is deceitful and is not sponsored by the Lord. It is evil, and someday must be accounted for. Hopefully, the evangelist, the woman, and the pastor will get things right with the Lord before judgment day.

Other ministers have had fake healings at the beginning of the prayer time, thinking that the faith of the crowd will rise and then real miracles will take place. I'm sure the Lord Jesus did not do this "priming of the pump" when He was here on earth. He did His miracles and healings by the power of the Holy Spirit. He also promised that we could do greater signs and wonders than He did. So why should we need to "prime the pump?"

Too much of the exhortation of the church congregations has been tainted and defiled by the sinful heresies, uncleanness, and deceit of the day. Paul said that his exhortation was not marred by these, and we must also eliminate that evil type of exhortation from the church congregations.

Romans 12:7
"...let us wait on our ministering... or he that exhorteth on his exhortation..."

The gift of exhortation must be "waited on." This means that we must patiently seek the gift of exhortation. We must pray for it as a ministry. It should be purposely exercised by us, if even on a small scale. It should be worked at daily. It should not be forsaken because of failure.

Exhortation is a humbling, loving gift. It is like Jesus washing the disciples' feet. It takes a forsaking of pride to wash another's feet. It takes caring, not ignoring. One must have a desire to help the brother or sister, rather than a looking of how they can help you.

Part of the purpose of tongues, interpretation of tongues, and the prophetic word is exhortation.

I Corinthians 14:3
"He that prophesies speaks unto men, to edification, and to exhortation, and to comfort."

The prophetic message that comes from God through saints, is allowing the Spirit to do His exhorting work on the congregation. It is vital that we, as the saints, do the same type of encouraging that these messages also do.

The ministry of God to Israel during the tribulation is exhortation.

Luke 2:25
"...looking for the consolation (paraklesis) of Israel..."

The Lord will comfort, encourage, and bring them to correction. It will be a pattern of exhortation that gets the nation of Israel to a place where they will accept Jesus as the Messiah. Some see this tribulation as only judgment, but the Lord sees it also as exhortation.

Often we misinterpret some of the hard things that happen to us as judgment or chastisement. Yet, the Lord chastises us to get us to the place where the exhortation will be heard.

Hebrews 12:5-6,8
"And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, 'My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou are rebuked of Him. For whom the Lord loveth, He chastens...' if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards and not sons."

Peter exhorted the elders (pastors of that time were called "elders").

I Peter 5:1-2
"The elders, which are among you, I exhort, who am also an elder... Feed the flock."

The whole book of Hebrews is called "exhortation."

Hebrews 13:22
"And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation, for I have written a letter unto you in a few words."

The preaching of Jesus was exhortation.

Luke 3:18
And many other things in His exhortation preached He unto the people."

The gift was very prominent in the New Testament times, and it needs revived in our latter rain revival. We should begin to earnestly desire this gift, and to fervently seek to restore it to it proper ministry within the congregations of our day. We have sinned in letting this gift be seldom taught, often misunderstood, and rarely exercised properly. The Lord is now instilling within the saints of the day, a desire to exhort, and have an exhorting congregation.

Jude 3
"write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith, which was once delivered unto the saints..."

The lack of exhortation for keeping the "faith" pure and true, has led to many splintered groups of saints. Let's restore the gift of exhortation to the church congregations. Let's draw closer together, not further apart. This gift is vital and necessary for the church of the last days.

Ministers usually exhort in their sermons. Some, if not most, of the sermons are rejected, or partially rejected. Your exhortation may be accepted, and perhaps often will be rejected. Consider how often you have rejected the Holy Spirit's exhortations to you! In the same way, we will find our exhortations to be often rejected or ignored.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of these gifts is given by the Lord, through Paul, in Ephesians 4:12-13. In these verses some nautical terms are used that we miss in the English translation. The word, "PERFECTING" (katartizo), is a nautical term referring to the mending of a fishing net. The word, "EDIFYING" (oikodome), refers to the building of a ship. With this in mind, let us look again at these verses, and see what the Lord says about the purpose of the ministry gifts.

Ephesians 4:12-13
"FOR THE PERFECTING (katartizo, mending of the fishing nets, likening the ministry of the church to a net that catches fish, yet may have holes in the net that let the fish fall out before being brought into the ship) OF THE SAINTS, FOR THE WORK (ergon, employment) OF THE MINISTRY (diakone, the act of serving as a servant), FOR THE EDIFYING (oikodome, building of a ship, likening the church to a ship on the way to port, and catching fish in the nets while on the journey) OF THE BODY OF CHRIST, TILL WE ALL COME (katantosomen, arrive, reach the port) INTO THE UNITY OF THE FAITH, AND THE KNOWLEDGE (epiginosko, to fully know, recognize, and discern) OF THE SON OF GOD UNTO A PERFECT (teleios, mature) MAN, UNTO THE MEASURE (metron, to measure as with a ruler) OF THE STATURE (helikia, mature stage) OF THE FULLNESS (pleroma, completely full of) OF CHRIST."

These verses show that the ministry gifts of apostle, evangelist, pastor-teacher are mainly for the getting of the church set on the right course (as a ship must sail on the right course to reach the correct port). The keeping of the nets mended will aid the ship in arriving at the port with a full catch of fish. If the ministry gifts are used properly, the ship will reach port safely, but if the gifts are not in operation correctly, the nets will lose many fish through the holes, and the ship may stray from the correct destination. Too often in church history, the church has lost many from its nets. People leave the church for many reasons. They may say it is because there are hypocrites in the church, or because they have been hurt by someone in the church, etc.; yet, the truth is usually that the ministry gifts that are to be in the church have not been functioning properly. The nets need frequently mended.

Too often the devil has more of his "gifts" operating in the church, than the Lord can get of His gifts. There are many gifts the devil wants to keep operating in the church. These gifts will put holes in the nets. The devil's gifts include:
gift of faultfinding
gift of hypocrisy
gift of discouraging
gift of unfaithfulness
gift of pessimism
gift of unbelief and doubt
gift of dissatisfaction
gift of slamming with the tongue
gift of interpretation of slams
gift of misdirecting of others
etc.

These gifts are countered, and handled when the Lord has the ministry gifts of apostle, pastor-teacher, evangelist, exhorter, and teacher, are operating as a team. (We must remember that the leader of the team is the Holy Spirit.)

+++++++++++++++
more to come

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE GIFTS OF HELPS

THE GIFTS THAT AID THE MINISTRY OF OTHERS

These gifts are for the profit of the church, and are intended to help the ministry of others.

I Corinthians 12:7
"THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT IS GIVEN TO EVERY MAN TO PROFIT WITHAL."

For the good of all, for the aiding of the ministry gift of another, and for the edification of the church, there are some gifts given to the saints. These gifts of helps are vital to the church. Don't be misled by the name. They are important. Without these gifts, the church would be stagnated and cold.

Mark 3:14
"And He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him, and that He might send them forth to preach."

Jesus wanted company to be ‘with Him.’ He had so much to teach, to share. He needed to show them how to preach, how to have miraculous events in their ministries. That is also to be noted that Jesus Himself wanted company, wanted to have co-workers for His work.

Jesus had the 'gift of healing' via the Holy Spirit in His ministry while in human form. He did miracles... Yet, with all His operation of gifts, He still wanted and needed one like Andrew who operated a gift of exhortation and love to a little lad with 5 loaves and 2 fishes. Jesus still had others operating their gifts.

As startling as it may sound, God does not want to do all His works alone, He wants to have co-workers with Him.

We are not to have a ‘lone ranger’ attitude. We need others. God wants us to recognize our need of others. The Holy Spirit divides the gifts severally as He wills.

1 Corinthians 12:11 (KJV)
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

This way, no one may think they have it all, can do anything, regardless of what others do. This makes us dependent upon one another. God wants us to have co-workers.

JESUS, IS OUR EXAMPLE.

Jesus first called twelve disciples. He called them for a purpose. He had plans for them. This was not a social club, but a training school. The church (ecclesia, Greek for "called out ones") is a continuation of the calling our of the twelve disciples. We, as the church, do not meet for simply social reasons, but we meet to be trained and prepared by the Lord for a purpose.

Each disciple was gifted by the Holy Spirit. Matthew was the note taker, and the ability to transcribe the sermons of Jesus for later composition of the gospels fell on him. That gift of accurate note taking, copying the messages of Jesus, was a gift of helps.

Some today sit down to a piano with never having a lesson, and play like they had had 1000's of lessons. That is not talent, that is a gift of helps.

Notice the reasons that Jesus called the twelve together:

He called them to be with Him. They saw His love, His mercy, and His sympathy. They observed His suffering, His giving, His mercy. Jesus wanted them to be with Him to see these traits. They listened for nearly three years to His teaching. He called them to preach the gospel. They had heard His message over and over. Jesus had preached illustrated sermons. He had told of a great harvest. He told them to pray for laborers. He told them to continue His work after He left. While with Him, they had 'gifts of helps' with which they aided Jesus in His work.

These twelve disciples are someday to have their names graven on the twelve foundations of the New Jerusalem. They will, in that day, be given each a throne from which they will judge the twelve tribes of Israel. They will receive great honor for being the first called to a special group, of co-workers with Jesus, willing to preach the gospel to the world, willing to be used with even the 'unnoticed by others gifts'.

Therefore in the replacement of this ministry of Israel, Jesus dispatched 12 disciples. They, and other co-workers called since that time, are to carry on the labors of Christ.

The first 12 were the first fruits of the great harvest of co-workers with Jesus in the church age. We, the co-workers of Jesus in this age, are called to "be with Him" and to "preach" the gospel to the world. We may have spectacular gifts as 'miracles' or 'prophetic words', or be given a talent for administration, or for exhorting the discouraged.

Paul in his account to the church at Corinth tells us that the Lord in His choosing, does not choose "many wise, ...many noble..." Rather, the Lord chose the humble, lowly, obscure peasant folk. Jesus chose fishermen, a publican, and a political outlaw. They "left all" to follow Jesus. They found that poverty and lowly station are not hindrances to usefulness. Gifts of all sorts were given as needed.

Paul had a co-worked named Barnabas. Later, he traveled with Silas. They were even co-workers when in the prison in Philippi. Moses had Aaron. Elijah had Elisha. Peter and John traveled together to visit Philip at his revival in Samaria. God gifts some to be helpers of the ministry of others.

The Lord sent the 70 disciples out in groups of two. They were to travel together, had rules, sometimes together shook the dust off and left the cities that rejected them.

They had a co-worker. We are to have co-workers too.

GOD GIVES BESTOWMENTS TO CO-WORKERS.

Matthew 10:1
"He (Jesus) called His twelve disciples to Him and gave them authority..."

Jesus shared His authority with the co-workers. The preceding verses to this bestowment of authority showed Jesus teaching and healing. He then had told His disciples to pray for "laborers", i.e. co-workers for them. Their prayers were then partially answered when Jesus gave them the authority to do the work. Jesus continued after imparting authority to them to tell these twelve to: heal the sick... raise the dead... cleanse the lepers... cast out demons. As they ministered with this authority, Jesus has kept on answering the prayer for co-workers. We are far down the line of co-workers who are also now being given authority in working the work of the Lord, of the disciples, of the many previous co-workers. This commission of authority to co-workers of the ages, continues ‘unto the end of the world.’

Matthew 28:18-20
"And Jesus came and spake unto them saying, All power (Greek = exousia = authority) is given me in heavens and in the earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit; Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

This commission told the disciples to go forth to make more co-workers. Those co-workers do likewise. His authority to call disciples is our authority now. We are called to be disciples and to call forth more co-workers. We are to do the works of Christ.

Matthew 10:7
"...go ... preach, saying 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand...'"

We are still to be preaching the same co-worker message that they did, that the "kingdom of heaven is at hand..." The "kingdom" is nigh, near, and it is so much more so for we the co-workers of these last days. The first twelve co-workers of the Lord had that same message.

Artistic ability given supernaturally to an un-artistic person, musical ability, not learned by instruction, mathematical understanding, not learned in school, etc... are some of the 'gifts of helps'. The apostles, prophets, teachers, pastors, evangelists are aided by those with the 'gifts of helps'.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE GIFT OF HELPS = antilepsis

The word, "HELPS" of I Corinthians 12:28, is "antilepsis." It means "to support, in place of."

It refers to a series of gifts that add support to the other ministries.

It is used of serving food in Acts 6:1.

It is used of Phoebe in Romans 16:1.

It is translated "service" or "ministering" in Romans 12:7. There is a natural help that all Christians are to do. Yet, in some circumstances the Spirit will endow some with a supernatural ability to provide service that will aid in someone else's ministry gift.

II Timothy 1:16-18
"THE LORD GIVE MERCY UNTO THE HOUSE OF ONESIPHORUS; FOR HE OFT REFRESHED ME, AND WAS NOT ASHAMED OF MY CHAIN: BUT WHEN HE WAS IN ROME, HE SOUGHT ME OUT VERY DILIGENTLY, AND FOUND ME. THE LORD GRANT UNTO HIM THAT HE MAY FIND MERCY OF THE LORD IN THAT DAY; AND IN HOW MANY THINGS HE MINISTERED UNTO ME IN EPHESUS, THOU KNOWEST VERY WELL."

I Corinthians 16:15
"...YE KNOW OF STEPHANAS, THAT IT IS THE FIRSTFRUITS OF ACHAIA, AND THAT THEY HAVE ADDICTED THEMSELVES TO THE MINISTRY OF THE SAINTS."

Some, like Onesiphorus and Stephanas, give themselves to the work of helping a man of God. They will aid in many ways. In the local church, some may usher, others do art work, some will be the intercessors, others will aid the ministry of music, some will do visitation.

At times this "helps" ministry can become heavy and time consuming. It can become more than natural talent, and devotion can give. It is then that the Holy Spirit will step in and give divine enabling to those with the gift of helps.

In the church of the last days, we need more than dedicated nursery workers to watch the children in the nursery. We need anointed, gifted workers who not only watch the children, but pray over them, pray for their families, and are a spiritual blessing to the child, its parents, the church, and to the minister who is speaking while they help. Too often, the churches end up with reluctant workers in the nursery, Sunday School, children's church, church kitchen, ushering staff, etc. These reluctant workers try to do their best, but end up with carnal, weak, and often disastrous results. The Spirit wants to endow some with a special gift that will empower these helpers to do a job that will be beyond what any talent and hard work alone could produce.

This gift is supernatural, just as all the other gifts involve supernatural power.
When called to this ministry, just as when called to pastoring or to evangelizing, there is supernatural endowment of abilities, and of miraculous results to this ministry.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE GIFT OF ADMINISTERING

Romans 12:8
"HE THAT RULETH, WITH DILIGENCE..."

The word "RULETH" in the Greek means, "he who leads, presides, stands before." In I Thessalonians 5:12, the elders are described as those who "HAVE CHARGE OVER YOU IN THE LORD." The elders of the church are given a duty to administer the service of the church. They are to see that the spiritual table is set for the feeding, leading, and caring of the church and its assets.

The idea is that this is a helps ministry for the caring of the body of Christ. The other ministries are to be evangelizing, exhorting, teaching, shepherding, etc. , while this gift of ruling, and administering is making sure the facilities, services, and methods of ministering are in place.

The same idea is referred to in I Corinthians 12:28 by the word, "GOVERNMENTS" (KJV). The word, "GOVERNMENTS" is a word that referred to a pilot steering a ship. The idea is not a "taskmaster." It does not mean people with this gift are to make rules of "do's and don't's" for morality. It is a vocation of helping other ministries.

Joseph, Daniel, and Nehemiah are examples in the Old Testament. Titus was left in Crete "TO SET IN ORDER WHAT REMAINS." (Titus 1:5) Paul was great in the gift of administration. His letters show a ministry of this gift, even when he was away from the church. He guided them through crisis after crisis. He did it with love. He gave guidelines to help them escape legalism, avoid conflicts, win souls, encourage each other, and grow in the faith. This is the purpose of the gift of administration. Pastors, board members, leaders of departments, and other helpers desperately need this supernatural help in their job. One may have the position, and not have this gift in operation. To depend on natural talent, and training is futile when serving in such capacities and having the devil as your enemy. We need supernatural guidance in the church. The Spirit gives this guidance through operating this gift in people.

GIFT OF SHOWING MERCY

"HE THAT SHEWETH MERCY, WITH CHEERFULNESS."

Mercy is undeserved aid. Hopefully, all Christians can show mercy. With the love that is to be our trademark, we should be able to show kindness to the unlovely. Yet, the Spirit indicates in the Word, that there is a supernatural gift of "shewing mercy" to be received by some. This gift is needed so one may have the power to do good to those who in the natural would revolt them, or to those who will never be able to repay in kind, or to those that no one is able to understand how you could do good for such an evil person. This is a special ministry.

The good Samaritan helped the man in the road. The man had been beaten and robbed. He was Jewish, and the Jews hated and shunned Samaritans like himself. The Samaritan helped him because of a supernatural gift of shewing mercy.

Barnabas was called the "son of consolation." He helped John Mark even when it meant a split with his good friend, and anointed man of God, -Paul. Sometimes God puts us into the place where we must help the hurting, the troubled, etc. The cost of helping may be the loss of the friendship of someone who has been a close friend. It takes a supernatural gift. The Lord says in the Word that some will have to give up father, mother ,sister, etc. for His sake.

Sometimes the reason we lose relationship is the mercy we show to those the others cannot love because of prejudice, etc. Sometimes the ones we lose by using this gift, will realize their mistake, sometimes they will not. Paul did realize his mistake, and called for John Mark to come to him.

This gift is needed for many special ministries. Those who have the gift of evangelism, may need it to minister to the ones God loves and wants to save. They may be rough, tough, mean, etc. Ananias had to minister to Saul (Paul), who had been persecuting Christians and even helped stone Stephen. Imagine how hard it was for Ananias to deal with a man who had been so evil. Those who deal with the sick, diseased, destitute, imprisoned, etc. will often come to those who are so unlovely a person, that a supernatural gift is needed to allow them to minister as they are told.

THE GIFT OF GIVING

This gift is the supernatural bestowment of goods upon a person for the purpose of giving in abundance to the Lord, His church, and to others in need. This gift is to be done contently, liberally, sometimes sacrificially, with wisdom and cheerfulness.

Just as God bestows the ability to teach to one with the gift of teaching, and it is that person's responsibility to use that gift for the Lord; in the same way, some are given financial blessings by the Lord, and they are to use this gift for Him.

Some who have received the gift of giving from the Spirit, have buried this talent.

Some think their blessings are for hoarding, and building up bank accounts. The rich young ruler asked what he must do, and the Lord said to sell all that he had, give it to the poor, and follow Jesus. Those with this gift of giving are likewise, not to hoard, but to give in abundance. The Lord then keeps supplying them more, so they can give more.

This giving is to be done without secret reluctance.

II Corinthians 9:7
"EVERY MAN ACCORDING AS HE PURPOSETH IN HIS HEART, SO LET HIM GIVE; NOT GRUDGINGLY, OR OF NECESSITY; FOR GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER."

This gift is to be done without outward show.

"...HE THAT GIVETH, LET HIM DO IT WITH SIMPLICITY."

There are a number of good examples of this gift in operation within the Word. Dorcas (Acts 9:36), who was "FULL OF GOOD DEEDS AND ALMSGIVING WHICH SHE DID," is a good example of the early church period. Joseph of Arimathea provided the tomb for the burial of Jesus. The widow provided what she thought was her last meal for Elijah. God multiplied her food until the end of the famine.

Have you been blessed financially? We are not to lay up treasures here on earth. The prosperity we receive here is to be used for the Lord. As the priesthood of believers, we have given to the Lord, our all. By giving what we receive, you will lay up wealth in heaven. Those who have been given the gift of healing, seek out the sick to pray for and share the gift with them. Those who have been given an abundance of material goods, are to seek out the needy, and provide for the church, etc. The church of Laodicea is described as a church that felt rich, but were spiritually poor. This seems to indicate that in the last days many will be given the gift of giving, but hoard it to themselves. This will bring them to spiritual poverty.

The rich young ruler refused to part with his goods in Jesus' day, and in the last days, the Laodicean church will also miss their opportunity to use this gift. Imagine the wealth possible for the rich young ruler, had he parted with his worldly possessions, in trade for the eternal treasures that our Lord offers. He died, and unless he had been saved at a later date, is now in the eternal poverty of hell. He could have been enjoying the true riches of heaven.

MINISTRY GIFTS...

ALL ARE NECESSARY, VITAL.

ALL ARE AVAILABLE.

Which of these gifts can the church do without? This is like asking someone, which limb can they do without? What part of your body can you spare? It is best to have all parts of the body. If one part suffers, so do all parts. We all need each other.

Too often, a part of the body of believers thinks they are the only indispensable part. They want all other parts to follow their direction, and or cease working so as to allow them to function only. This is not "decent and in order." It is not the prescribed way of serving.

When a church does not allow a gift to be operated as the Spirit desires, that church is destined to stay small, or split. The gifts need to be in operation as the Spirit wills them to be. We need to function under the leadership of the Spirit. In that way, we will all have a gift to share with the entire body of believers.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
DETERMINING WHICH GIFTS TO SEEK

James 1:17
"EVERY GOOD GIFT AND EVERY PERFECT GIFT IS FROM ABOVE, AND COMES DOWN FROM THE FATHER."

God's gifts are perfect, even if the receivers are not. They are not earned, nor retained by good works. They are unmerited gifts. We should all, as Christians, have gifts operating in our lives. The church should have many gifts in operation. In too many churches the gift of "pew-sitting" is the predominant gift. The Spirit does not intend to have such churches.

Romans 8:32
"ALL GOOD THINGS ARE GIVEN US FREELY..."

Freely, the Lord offered to fill us with the Spirit (Luke 11:13). Freely, the Spirit offers us gifts. Yet, many saints do not appropriate these free gifts by faith (Matthew 9:29, Romans 12:6). The value of these gifts is unimaginable. Yet, if one were told they had won a million dollars, would they neglect to collect it? Then why are we supposed to believe that people truly value the gifts, if they don't hunger, seek, desire, covet, and appropriate them as soon as they can???? Since they are truly of the greatest value, let's show the Spirit we value them and desire them as we should.

These gifts are to continue during the church age. Tongues, prophecy, and knowledge are to cease when that "WHICH IS PERFECT IS COME"(I Cor. 13:8-13). "THAT WHICH IS PERFECT" is Christ. He has not yet come. When He does, those three gifts will not be necessary, for those three inform us what He has to say to us. When He is come, He Himself can inform us what He wants to say. He will no longer have to say it through those gifts of the Spirit. Now during the church age, we need to know what the Lord wants to tell us, and one method He uses is through these gifts of the Spirit.

The mission of the church is manifold. Yet, for every part of the mission, the gifts of the Spirit are necessary.

The mission of the church is:

1. To glorify God.
The gifts of the Spirit glorify God.
(Rom. 15:6,9, Eph. 1:5-18, 3:21, II Thess. 1:12, I Pet. 4:11)

2. To edify itself.
The exercising of the gifts of the Spirit edify the church.
(Eph. 4:11-16)

3. To purify itself.
Exercising the gifts, helps the church purify itself.
(Eph. 5:26-27)

4. To educate its constituency.
The gifts are given to educate us to the will, and message form the Lord.
(Eph. 4:11-12)

5.To evangelize the world.
Signs are to follow the preaching of the Word. These gifts are the signs.
(Matt. 28:19, Mk. 16:15, Lk. 24:46-48, Acts 1:8)

6. To be a hindrance to Satan.
We, as the church, are to be a hindrance to the devil. We can best hold back the lawlessness when we have the power of the gifts of the Spirit.
(Matt. 5:13-16, II Thess. 2:6-7)

Then, if these are the mission of the church, why don't we get these gifts so we may accomplish what the Spirit wants us to accomplish?

There are some reasons that the church hasn't received these gifts as it should.

These include:

1. Because of ignorance of the gifts of the Spirit...
2. Because of unbelief in the gifts...
3. Because they are ashamed or afraid of them...
4. Because they do not seek them...
5. Because they have grieved the Spirit​

I Corinthians 12:31
"COVET EARNESTLY THE BEST GIFTS."

I Corinthians 14:1
"DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS."

I Corinthians 14:12
"FORASMUCH AS YE ARE ZEALOUS OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS, SEEK THAT YE MAY EXCEL TO THE EDIFYING OF THE CHURCH."

I Timothy 4:14
"NEGLECT NOT THE GIFT THAT IS IN THEE."

If you have been baptized in the Spirit, you have at least one gift. That gift is meant to be used, not buried or ignored. Whenever there is a need for that particular gift, the Spirit is going to try to use you. Whenever, you need personal edification, and you ask for help, the Spirit is trying to use the gift to edify you. Whenever the church body needs edified, the Spirit is going to expect you to use that gift to edify them. Don't neglect to know, use, and appreciate your gifts.

Are the gifts permanent, or temporary?

They are always permanent.

Romans 11:29
"FOR THE GIFTS AND THE CALLING OF GOD ARE WITHOUT REPENTANCE."

These permanent gifts can be neglected, and at times, the gifts need to be stirred up.
(I Tim. 4:14, 1:6)

There are two wrong ideas about gifts.

One is that everyone baptized with the Spirit has all the gifts and can exercise them at will. The truth is that the Spirit gives and manifests the gifts at His discretion.
( I Cor. 12:11)

The second wrong conception is that God permanently gives only one or several gifts to individuals. This makes people think they can have no more gifts that the ones they have already found in their lives. This leads to stagnation, and limits what the Spirit may wish to develop in them. God wishes to develop many gifts in us.

Gifts may be abused or misused.

Solomon, while backslidden, used the gift of wisdom and knowledge that God gave him to further his own rebellion. (Eccles. 1:12-18, 2:4-11).

Moses misused his gift of miracles by striking the rock twice, and not once. (Num. 20:7-13, Deut. 3:48-52)

Paul taught one could have gifts, and if they did not have love with the gifts, the gifts would profit nothing.

Paul also corrected many abuses of the gifts in the local churches of his day. (I Cor. 13:1-3, 14:1-40)

Likewise today, there are many abuses of the gifts of the Spirit.

When you discover your gifts, they will serve as a signpost in your life.

They will show you the main direction that God wants to use you. The Spirit chose to give you those gifts to equip you for your God-given ministry. Your gifts will enable you to be in harmony with God's will for you.

When you know your gifts, you will be able to set priorities in your life. If your gift is evangelism, you may tend to avoid administrative positions, so you may be available to evangelize. Too often in the churches, people with one gift are given a job that requires a different gift.

Knowing your gifts also helps the "team effort" of the church. We need not be jealous of those with the "pastor-teacher" gift when we know our gift, and realize the importance of it to the body of believers. We don't need to be discouraged when God uses another with a different gift, for we know that when our gift is needed, we can be useful then. The church can be the "team" the Lord envisioned. The Spirit is the head of the "team", and we are the members of it, functioning together.

How do we discover our gift?

1. Start with prayer.
Ask God to direct you to the proper gifts.
(Philippians 4:6-7)

2. Study the various gifts.
Know what they are, and define each gift and its importance.

3. Which gift do you desire the most? It is all right to aspire to a particular gift. All desire for spiritual gifts comes from God. So the gift you desire the most, is probably the one God wants you most to have.

4. Confirmation will come by the exercise of the gift in your life. Look for the workings of God. Ask someone with the gift that you desire to lay hands on you and pray for you to receive the gift for which you've prayed.

5. Blessings will follow the exercise to your gifts.

I Cor. 12:7
"BUT THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT IS GIVEN TO EVERY MAN TO PROFIT WITHAL."

The purpose of the gifts is to edify, bless, and build up. If your gifts do not do these things, something is out of order. The greatest use of gifts is to evangelize. God doesn't give gifts just to satiate an adolescent church that just wants to see more and more miracles. But He will give more and more miracles to aid us in winning souls. If your gift is operating properly, you will see it work with the other gifts in the church to encourage and allow souls to be won.

6. Remember to thank the Lord for these gifts. Then also remember to ask for more gifts. Don't ever be satisfied with what you have. Paul had many gifts. God is no respecter of persons. So we may ask for many also. The more gifts we have, the more useful we may be for God.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
HOW DO WE UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE GIFTS?

II Timothy 3:5
"HAVING A FORM OF GODLINESS, BUT DENYING THE POWER THEREOF, FROM SUCH TURN AWAY.."

"FOLLOW AFTER CHARITY, AND DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS, BUT RATHER THAT YE MAY PROPHESY."

Many want power. Healings, miracles, etc. are desired by the churches. It is frustrating when the power is missing from the churches. They have the "FORM" (morphosis, an outward semblance), of religion. This "form" is often called "tradition," and may be beautiful, and meaningful. Yet, the power of the religion is missing. The gifts are not in operation. There is a reason. The reason is that they are "DENYING" (arneomai, to act in opposition to profession, to have deeds show that the profession was false), the power.

How do we "deny" the power of our faith?

The context of II Timothy 3:5 shows the reason. In verse 2, "LOVING SELF", and not others is shown as the cause. In verse four, "LOVING PLEASURE MORE THAN GOD" is shown as a method of "DENYING" the "POWER."

Misplaced love saps the power out of Christianity.

In verse 1 of the context, we are told the time of this is to be "IN THE LAST DAYS." So the last days are to see a powerless religion. At the same time, the latter rain revival is to be in operation. Power is to be flowing through the revived saints, as never before. In others, the power is to be missing. How do we get the power?

Misplaced love caused the power to dissipate.

So we need to look at the subject of love, and discover its secret.

Ephesians 4:30
"GRIEVE NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD."

Grief is deeper than sorrow. Herod felt sorrow when he took the head of John the Baptist. Grief springs from love. The deeper the love, the greater the grief. Herod felt no grief, only sorrow. The Spirit feels grief, because He loves greatly. If the Spirit can be grieved, He must love us greatly. If we grieve the Spirit by our lack of love, the power of the Spirit cannot flow.

Note the context of the verse on grieving the Spirit. In the context the emphasis is love, or rather the lack of it, that grieves the Spirit.

vs 25 "PUT AWAY LYING"

vs. 28 "STEAL NO MORE"

vs. 29 "LET NO CORRUPT COMMUNICATION PROCEED OUT OF YOUR MOUTH"

vs. 31 "LET ALL BITTERNESS AND WRATH AND ANGER AND EVIL SPEAKING BE PUT AWAY FROM YOU, WITH ALL MALICE"

When the Spirit sees the lack of love in the midst of Christians, it grieves Him. The gifts and the power of the church is sapped.

Galatians 5:22
"THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS LOVE..."

If the Spirit brings a harvest of love, He Himself must be love. The word "love" is the Greek word, "agape." This word refers to a strong, tender compassionate devotion, recognizing the spiritual worth of even the most unlovely of personalities. If the Spirit is to bring this into our lives when He dwells within, how can we deny this kind of love and expect Him to be there to let power flow through us.

Romans 15:30
"THE LOVE OF THE SPIRIT"

The Holy Spirit engenders us with a personal love, a love pure in content. Paul, in the context of Romans 15:30, recognized the need of prayer and power to come upon him while on the way to Jerusalem. So, by "the love of the Spirit", Paul requests prayer. Without the love of the Spirit, the prayers would have little power.

II Corinthians 6:6
"BY KINDNESS, BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, BY LOVE UNFEIGNED..."

Note that the "Spirit" is sandwiched in the verse between "kindness" and "love". Whenever the Spirit is allowed to work, kindness and love flow.

I Peter 1:22
"SEEING YE HAVE PURIFIED YOUR SOULS IN OBEYING THE TRUTH THROUGH THE SPIRIT UNTO UNFEIGNED LOVE OF THE BRETHREN, SEE THAT YE LOVE ONE ANOTHER WITH A PURE HEART FERVENTLY."

When your soul is purified into obedience to the Holy Spirit, the result will be true agape love for the brethren. When this happens, the Spirit's power will be able to flow.

Colossians 1:8
"WHO (Epaphras) ALSO DECLARED UNTO US YOUR LOVE IN THE SPIRIT."

Your love is inspired by the Spirit. We become like those with whom we live. Because we dwell with the Spirit daily, and His presence fills us, we should have a great amount of love. In the context of the above verse, Paul says that because of their love, they will be "STRENGTHENED WITH ALL MIGHT..." (verse 11) If love is present, power will be present.

The Holy Spirit is likened unto a dove (Matt. 3:16). The dove is a lovebird. As God spoke out of heaven -"THIS IS MY BELOVED SON...", the love-bird dove descended upon Jesus. The Trinity loves each other. When this Spirit comes upon us, His nature should also come upon us. Jesus began His powerful ministry after the dove descended upon Him. We need the Dove of love upon us.

The Holy Spirit is called the "COMFORTER." (John 14:16) He comforted the early church. Comfort is an outlet of love. If the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to comfort the believers, how can we get grudges, bitterness, anger toward those He is showing love and comfort, and not grieve Him and His power?????

Romans 5:5
"AND HOPE MAKETH NOT ASHAMED, BECAUSE THE LOVE OF GOD IS SHED ABROAD IN OUR HEARTS BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, WHICH IS GIVEN UNTO US."

The Spirit floods our hearts with love. The more He has of us, the more we can exhibit the love of heaven. If we are co-workers with God, then we possess love.

A lawyer may not love his clients.
A doctor may not love his patients.
A merchant may not love his customers.

But God does not want His co-workers to not love others. It is easy to work with God and the Spirit, if you love. When we cease to love another, the Spirit is grieved and the power of the Spirit dissipates. The Spirit is shedding love upon us, as we receive it and let it flow from us, so will His power.

The Spirit is pictured as a jealous lover.

James 4:5
"DO YOU THINK THAT THE SCRIPTURE SAITH IN VAIN- 'THE SPIRIT THAT DWELLS IN US, LUSTS TO ENVY.'"

God has even told us in the Word, that His name is "JEALOUS". He wants love from us. As we show Him our love, to both Him and to His children, His power will flow through us freely. If we love the world instead of the Lord and His children, He is jealous, and will not be able to bless us as before. God demands first place. His jealousy is insistent upon love being shown.

II Corinthians 13:14
"THE GRACE OF OUR LORD JESUS, AND THE LOVE OF GOD, AND THE COMMUNION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BE WITH YOU ALL. AMEN."

Note that it is the "communion" that we are to have with the Spirit. Communion is fellowship. Fellowship is impossible without love. The communion of the Spirit demands love between the brethren, who also are in fellowship with the Spirit. We need to show unmerited favor like Jesus did. There is great power available when we get into harmony with the communion, fellowship that the Spirit operates within the body of believers.

If we are filled with the Spirit, we must be filled with love.

John 13:35
"BY THIS SHALL ALL MEN KNOW THAT YE ARE MY DISCIPLES, IF YE HAVE LOVE ONE TO ANOTHER."

The disciples at one time were anxious for supremacy over each other. Jesus said that greatness came through love for others. This love is to be our trademark. To deny the trademark that Jesus insisted that we have, and then to ask why there is no power in our midst, is foolish. To avoid love, avoids the power.

"FOLLOW AFTER CHARITY (love), AND DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS."

If we follow the order of the above verse, we will first "FOLLOW AFTER" the love for the brethren, and then DESIRE spiritual gifts.

To "FOLLOW AFTER" is from the Greek word - diokete. It means “to chase down and pursue." This indicates there should be a great effort made to achieve love.

Then we are told to "DESIRE" the gifts. The word "DESIRE" means "to earnestly want."

We earnestly want the gifts and the power of the Spirit in operation. Yet, some don't want to chase down the love that God wants in the body of believers. If we seek the gifts, and do not have love, we become "LIKE SOUNDING BRASS AND A TINKLING CYMBAL." (I Cor.13:1)

Gifts are linked to love in many places in the Scripture. We want gifts. Some have been given a gift many years ago, and haven't seen it operate for years. Some have never seen God use them with gifts. The reason deals with the flow of love. If we learn to unlock the flow of gifts, by using the key of love, we shall have gifts and power in abundance. In the flow of love will come the gifts. In the lack of love, we will find a "FORM OF GODLINESS, BUT DENYING THE POWER THEREOF."

I Corinthians 14:12
"EVEN SO YE, FORASMUCH AS YE ARE ZEALOUS OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS, SEEK THAT YE MAY EXCEL TO THE EDIFYING OF THE CHURCH."

The reason that the Spirit requires love to be flowing before the gifts can flow, is that the purpose of the gifts is to edify the church. To have the gifts in power as we desire we first must get into harmony with the reason for the gifts of the Spirit.

What is this love ?? See I Corinthians 13:4-8

"SUFFERS LONG" = patient, will allow others to hurt them without retaliation

"KIND" = love in action, deeds that show love

"ENVIES NOT" = not envious or upset by another's blessings

"VAUNTS NOT ITSELF" = humble, love in hiding

"NOT PUFFED UP" = not stuck on self, not glued to a mirror admiring oneself

"DOES NOT BEHAVE UNSEEMLY" =polite, not rude

"SEEKS NOT HER OWN" =seeks good for others

"NOT EASILY PROVOKED" = good tempered

"THINKS NO EVIL" = not looking for faults in others

"REJOICES NOT IN INIQUITY" = not happy when others fail

"REJOICES IN TRUTH" = not deceitful

"BEARS ALL THINGS" = does not retaliate

"BELIEVES ALL THINGS = trusts

"HOPES ALL THINGS" = has positive goals

"ENDURES ALL THINGS" = works hard, no effort is deemed too great for the other

"NEVER FAILS" = doesn't quit

Peter and John loved enough to stop at the gate of the temple and speak to a lame man. The result was a miracle.

Friends lowered a man down through the roof to Jesus, because of their love for the man, and the result was a miracle.

Jesus loved Lazarus and the result was a resurrection from the dead.

Whenever love is poured out, the result is the POWER of the Spirit will flow. If we want miracles, healings, prophecies, words of wisdom, etc., let us chase after the love we need to allow the Spirit to flow with power. If we have grieved the Spirit with a lack of love, let us repent. We can unleash the power of the Spirit, see many signs and wonders, if we simply let love flow.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
SINS AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT

We have examined the Person of the Holy Spirit, His nature, His personality, His work, and His ministry. He is a sensitive Person, our closest friend, our Comforter, and our Advocate; yet He is easily quenched, grieved, and denied. He loves us, but is easily made "jealous." He is a jealous lover of each saint. By offending Him, we may lose His power, His presence, His conviction, and perhaps even our salvation.

The subject of- sins we could commit against Him- is very serious, and needs to be considered carefully.

Misplaced love will cause us to deny the very nature of the Spirit, that is - to love. (II Timothy 3:1-5) This state is predicted for the last days, when many Christians will have a powerless religion. We are instructed by Paul in II Timothy to turn away from such Christians, who by their misplaced love, deny or turn away from the power of the Spirit.

Some go further and "grieve" the Spirit. Ephesians 4:30-31 tells us that bitterness, wrath, anger, etc. between the saints will "grieve" the Holy Spirit. Others will "quench" the Spirit. Some will "resist" Him. A few will try to even "lie" to the Spirit. The really foolish will "vex" the Spirit. The most blatant will "blaspheme" the Holy Spirit. These sins are seen in the church far too often. The biggest problem is that there is far too little teaching on these sins. How can we adequately avoid such sins when we know so little about them? The churches spend time on rules, and enforcing traditions; yet, they cannot seem to find time to talk about these serious sins against the Holy Spirit.

Most will remember that the Lord Jesus is in nature like a "LAMB." There needs to also be the recognition that the Spirit is, in nature, like a "DOVE."

John 1:29-32
"BEHOLD, THE LAMB OF GOD, THAT TAKETH AWAY THE SIN OF THE WORLD...THE SPIRIT DESCENDING...LIKE A DOVE, AND IT ABODE UPON HIM."

The dove, like most birds, will easily be put to flight. Yet this "DOVE" remained upon this "LAMB." Jesus, as a lamb was submissive, meek, and gentle. If our nature is like the Lord's, the Spirit will remain upon us. If we become like a "bull", the Dove will be put to flight. Too many Christians want to have a nature that is unlike a lamb's. They wonder why they do not have the presence of the Spirit abiding with them, as some saints have.

The lamb is a simple creature. It is helpless, without the Shepherd. It makes no schemes to achieve its purposes. It lives an uncomplicated life. It is easily shorn, for it offers no resistance to the giving up of its rights. A lamb never resists, complains. As a sheep is silent before its shearers, so Jesus was silent before His accusers (Isaiah 53:7). The lamb is a peaceful animal. It bears no grudges, seeks no revenge, holds no bitterness. Upon such a Lamb, the Dove can remain. If we want to maintain the presence of the Spirit, we need to take on the very nature that was the Lord's, the nature of a lamb.

++++++++++++++++++++

SIN # 1 QUENCHING THE SPIRIT

There is a warning in I Thessalonians against quenching the Spirit. This sin is very serious, for if we hinder the Spirit's work, we lose some very great benefits to our Christian life.

I Thessalonians 5:19
"QUENCH NOT THE SPIRIT."

The Greek word for "QUENCH" is the word - sbennumi. This word means "to extinguish as a fire." It is the same word used in Ephesians 6:16, where we are told that the shield of faith will "QUENCH ALL THE FIERY DARTS OF THE WICKED ONE."

In the same way that the devil shoots "FIERY DARTS" of evil toward us, the Spirit also shoots darts of conviction, of comfort, of encouragement, of exhortation at us. It is possible to quench His darts. He sends them to help us maintain a relationship with the Lord. When the darts of the Spirit are quenched, the Spirit is frustrated in His efforts to help us. His help is vital, we cannot do without it.

Fire is one of the many symbols of the Holy Spirit. At Pentecost, cloven tongues as of fire sat upon each of the 120. The Holy Spirit is likened to seven lamps burning before the throne of God in heaven (Rev. 4:5). The fiery darts of the Spirit will PURIFY. The purification effect of fire is necessary for the Christian.

Numbers 31:23
"EVERYTHING THAT MAY ABIDE THE FIRE, YE SHALL MAKE IT GO THROUGH THE FIRE, AND IT SHALL BE CLEAN."

The fiery darts will also INFLAME. The fire of our soul needs ignited to love and action.

The fiery darts will also ILLUMINATE. Moses' face shown with the glory of the Lord (Ex. 34:35). Stephen, who was full of the Spirit, had his face glowing with the glory of the Spirit as he was stoned to death (Acts 6:15). We need the darts of the Spirit to illuminate our lives, and cause us to glow spiritually.

The resistance of some to the darts of conviction, result in many that continue in their sins. They won't listen to the still small voice speaking to their heart about their unforgiveness, jealousy, anger, etc. If these sins continue, as they will, if we quench His darts, the judgment of the Lord will eventually come. Don't quench the darts of the Holy Spirit.

Some quench His darts of encouragement, and exhortation. Some may feel His encouragement to get out of bed on Sunday morning and go worship the Lord. To deny His dart of encouragement will quench the Spirit's effort. Saints through the years have gotten so used to quenching such darts, they have forgotten how wrong that can be. The Spirit may exhort one to go witness, or to call a friend to encourage them, or begin to intercede in the Spirit--quenching those darts can have serious repercussions.

++++++++++++++++++++

SIN # 2 GRIEVING THE SPIRIT

Ephesians 4:30
"AND GRIEVE NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD, WHEREBY YE ARE SEALED UNTO THE DAY OF REDEMPTION."

The word for "GRIEVE" in the Greek is the word, lupeo. It is the same word as used in Romans 14:15:

"...IF THY BROTHER BE GRIEVED WITH THY MEAT..."

and in John 21:17:

"PETER WAS GRIEVED BECAUSE HE SAID UNTO HIM..."

The word means to be sad, in grief, in heaviness, and in this grief so much that one is likely to grudgingly respond. Therefore to grieve the Spirit will result in at least a partial loss of His presence, and a disturbed response from the Spirit.

It is in the presence of the Lord that there is "FULLNESS OF JOY." So with the loss of the presence of the Holy Spirit goes the joy, the power, the assurance, and the usefulness to God that the Spirit's presence gave.

There is also in Ephesians 4:30, a direct warning. It tells us that we are "SEALED UNTO THE DAY OF REDEMPTION" by this Spirit, and directly relates it to the admonition not to "GRIEVE" this same Spirit. To grieve this Spirit, and to continue in this grieving of Him will result in the loss of our seal, our salvation. We can lose our salvation by grieving Him. The "seal" mentioned is a stamp, a symbol of ownership. Wax was made hot and used to seal a rolled up scroll. A signet ring was pressed upon the wax to indicate who had sealed the scroll. The seal was only to be broken by one with proper authority. The Spirit was the One who "sealed" us, and claimed ownership of us. He has claimed us as His own.

In Ephesus, a merchant would go to the harbor, and select certain timber. He would stamp it with his seal, and later send a servant with his signet ring to claim ownership. In the same way, the Spirit has put His seal on each of us, and someday the Lord Jesus will come and claim His own at the rapture. We must beware of tampering with this seal. We desperately need it. We cannot afford to lose, or break the "seal" by grieving the Spirit.

What is it that grieves the Holy Spirit? The context of the verse will answer. We are warned to stop lying, cease being angry, stop stealing, stop evil speaking, put away bitterness, and instead, be forgiving, kind, and tender. This shows us that the Spirit is grieved by the lack of love in the midst of the saints. Many churches have grieved the Spirit over the years.

+++++++++++++
MORE SINS TO BE DESCRIBED... stay tuned

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
SIN # 3 LYING TO THE SPIRIT

Acts 5:3
"BUT PETER SAID, ANANIAS, WHY HATH SATAN FILLED THINE HEART TO LIE TO THE HOLY SPIRIT, AND TO KEEP BACK PART OF THE PIECE OF LAND?"

This sin is dangerous, for Ananias, and later his wife, Sapphira, were stricken dead for this sin. To make a lying proclamation before the church, and before the man of God was considered a sin against the Spirit. Many today will sin, and try to cover the sin by denial. People don't want to admit their failures. They want to look as holy, or holier than others do. To cover their failures, they will deny them. The Spirit will take these lies very seriously. The spirits of lying and deceit will try to destroy many a revival, as they tried in the early church. Peter exercised the discernment of spirits, and revealed the deceit of Ananias. The Lord then struck Ananias dead. We need to confess our faults, and failures to each other. To lie in order to cover them will result in judgment from the Spirit.

In I Timothy 4:2, we are warned that in the last days, some shall be guilty of lying in order to make themselves appear more righteous than they actually are, and these ones will not feel guilty for their sin of lying.
"SPEAKING LIES IN HYPOCRISY, HAVING THEIR CONSCIENCE SEARED WITH A HOT IRON."

Just as in the early church, we will discover in the latter rain church, some who can lie, deceive, falsely accuse, and thereby - sin against the Holy Spirit. These ones are calloused, and insensitive to the conviction of the Spirit. When His conviction is met with a lie, an "I'm not guilty" lie to the Spirit, - He becomes very angry and can still judge abruptly, as He did Ananias and Sapphira.

In times of revival, this sin is met with more serious consequences than at times when revival is not present. This is because the presence of the Spirit is stronger at revival times. The Bible also indicates that "TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS REQUIRED."

++++++++++++++++++++

SIN # 4 VEXING THE SPIRIT

Isaiah 63:10
"BUT THEY REBELLED, AND VEXED HIS HOLY SPIRIT; THEREFORE HE WAS TURNED TO BE THEIR ENEMY, AND HE FOUGHT AGAINST THEM."

A step beyond grieving the Spirit is "vexing" the Spirit. This comes from the Hebrew word, "atsab." It means to cause pain, to anger, to greatly displease. The Holy Spirit can be angered, and as a Person, and this wrong can bring consequences. To "vex" the Spirit will make the Spirit become the "enemy" instead of a "Comforter."

The sin of "vexing" the Spirit comes when the Spirit does great things for the saint. Then, in rebellion and in lack of appreciation, the saint turns away from the Spirit's leading and goes astray purposely. This is "vexing" the Spirit, and is a serious sin. To have the heavyweight boxing champion as your enemy would be frightening. Yet, to have the Almighty Spirit as your enemy is many times more terrifying.

+++++++++++++++++++++

SIN # 5 RESISTING THE SPIRIT

Acts 7:51
"YE STIFFNECKED, AND UNCIRCUMCISED IN HEART AND EARS, YE DO ALWAYS RESIST THE HOLY SPIRIT, AS YOUR FATHERS DID, SO DO YE."

The same word for "resist" (anthistimi), is used in II Timothy 3:8:
"MOSES, SO DO THESE ALSO RESIST THE TRUTH..."

and also in James 4:7:
"RESIST THE DEVIL AND HE WILL FLEE FROM YOU..."

This word means- to stand against, to oppose, to withstand. We are to oppose, and resist the devil. Some will oppose and resist what the Spirit is doing. If the Spirit is working and moving in a body of believers, to go against what He is trying to accomplish is "resisting." In many congregations, while the Spirit is trying to draw sinners to Christ, and showing them the love of the Lord; some so-called "saints" will send them out the other door by their judgmentalism, condemnation, berating, shunning, etc. How dangerous is this resisting of the Spirit's work!!!

The Scripture points out that this sin is in all generations. The "fathers" did this sin. The next, and every generation, will see some resist what the Spirit is doing. The Lord wants us to be sensitive to the Spirit. Some will be so insensitive to the Spirit that they will resist, and fight against what He is trying to accomplish. These people are called "stiffnecked." They are stubborn people refusing to bend to what the Spirit wants to do. Their "hearts" and "ears" are not consecrated to the Lord's work. The revival of the last days will reach its "double-portion" when the church is finally purified of those who resist the work the Spirit has always wanted to do.

more to come...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
SIN # 6 BLASPHEMING THE SPIRIT

Matthew 12:31
"WHEREFORE I SAY UNTO YOU, 'ALL MANNER OF SIN AND BLASPHEMY SHALL BE FORGIVEN UNTO MEN; BUT THE BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT SHALL NOT BE FORGIVEN UNTO MEN. AND WHOSOEVER SPEAKS A WORD AGAINST THE SON OF MAN, IT SHALL BE FORGIVEN HIM, BUT WHOSOEVER SPEAKS AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT, IT SHALL NOT BE FORGIVEN HIM, NEITHER IN THIS WORLD, NEITHER IN THE WORLD TO COME.'"

Mark 3:29
"BUT HE THAT SHALL BLASPHEME AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT HATH NEVER FORGIVENESS, BUT IS IN DANGER OF ETERNAL DAMNATION."

Blasphemy against the Spirit is sin, but not all sin against the Spirit is blasphemy. To utter words against God willfully, malignantly, and knowingly is blasphemy. Not one of the Trinity is more sacred, or more than equal than the others. So why is the blasphemy against the Spirit worse than blasphemy against Jesus or God the Father? It is because of their jobs. Jesus takes people to God. It is the Spirit that brings people to Jesus. So the "Initiator" is the Spirit. He starts the process of bringing people to salvation. He brings the conviction that makes one want to become saved. So if He is grieved so much that He ceases to make a person want to get saved, then that person will never repent to Jesus, so Jesus can forgive.

The SINNER>

is convicted by the>>>SPIRIT,

Who leads to >>>CHRIST,

Who restores fellowship with >>>>GOD

If a person blasphemes Christ, the Spirit is still working to bring the person to Jesus in repentance. If one blasphemes the Spirit, who then will convict that one to bring them to Christ for repentance???

The unpardonable sin causes the person to never again feel conviction. If one feels conviction, then that person has not sinned the unpardonable sin.

John 16:8-9
"WHEN HE IS COME, HE WILL REPROVE THE WORLD OF SIN..."

We need that reproof, and conviction. Without it, we will never repent. We won't want to repent.

Paul sinned the unpardonable sin, but he was forgiven because it was done ignorantly in unbelief.

I Timothy 1:13
"...BEFORE A BLASPHEMER...BUT I OBTAINED MERCY, BECAUSE I DID IT IGNORANTLY IN UNBELIEF."

So the Bible seems to indicate that this sin done in ignorance is not unpardonable. When done willingly, and knowingly, it is unpardonable.

Hebrews 10:26-29
"FOR IF WE SIN WILLFULLY, AFTER THAT WE HAVE RECEIVED THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH, THERE REMAINETH NO MORE SACRIFICE FOR SINS, BUT A CERTAIN FEARFUL LOOKING FOR OF JUDGMENT AND FIERY INDIGNATION, WHICH SHALL DEVOUR THE ADVERSARIES. HE THAT DESPISED MOSES' LAW DIED WITHOUT MERCY UNDER TWO OR THREE WITNESSES. OF HOW MUCH SORER PUNISHMENT, SUPPOSE YE, SHALL HE BE THOUGHT WORTHY, WHO HATH TRODDEN UNDER FOOT THE SON OF GOD, AND HATH COUNTED THE BLOOD OF THE COVENANT WHEREWITH HE WAS SANCTIFIED, AN UNHOLY THING, AND HATH DONE RESPITE UNTO THE SPIRIT OF GRACE..."

To sin the unpardonable sin, we must have first been saved and sanctified. It is hard to believe that anyone would want to leave the Lord Who has so loved us. Yet, there are some who, for some reason, turn against the Lord. Then, in this rebellion, these former saints, blaspheme the Spirit who saved them. It is this last part, the sending away of the Holy Spirit, that is the unforgivable part. God can forgive people of terrible sins, but they must repent first. Without the Holy Spirit to cause one to regret their sin, they will not repent. These former Christians will never again want to repent.

The context of the passage in Hebrews 10 shows that it is a "drawing back" (vss. 38-39) that is the first step toward this unpardonable sin. Sometimes, it is a lack of patience in the midst of a trial, that causes Christians to "draw back" (vs. 36). Some have a hard time with the afflictions that come to us as Christians. We don't like being patient, awaiting the deliverance. It is by faith that we must live while we await a miracle of deliverance (vs.38). We, as saints, must beware of the very thought of slacking away from the Lord. The Lord was faithful to warn us of the possibility of it leading to the unpardonable sin. We must be wise and heed His warning. The consequences of failing to heed the Spirit are terrible.

Hebrews 10:31
"IT IS A FEARFUL THING TO FALL INTO THE HANDS OF THE LIVING GOD."

+++++++++++++++++++

To treat the Holy Spirit with flippancy, grieving and quenching, without being too concerned with how we have hurt the Person of the Holy Spirit, will lead us from one of these six sins against the Spirit to another. Finally, we will reach the final and devastating one. Let's cease to treat the Spirit lightly. Let's pay Him the proper respect and adoration!

Some try to treat other sins as also -unpardonable, and unforgivable. Divorce, remarriage, etc., even when they are sinful, are forgivable. Many Christians attempt to put them in the category of "unpardonable." Any sin is forgiven upon request, and repentance. The unmistakable sign that one has sinned the unpardonable sin is the lack of guilt and desire to repent.

As Christians, we try to think it impossible that any in "our church" have sinned this unpardonable sin. Yet, the Bible predicts that in the last days, there will be many in the churches that have apostatized. (II Peter 2, Jude 4, II Tim. 3:1-5, II Cor. 11:13-15, I Tim. 4:1-3, I Pet. 4:17-18, Matt. 7:15-23, Matt. 13) These are the ones who can continue to cause trouble, stir up strife, spiritually abuse others, gossip, etc. and never want to repent or change their ways. They can always find justification for living contrary to the two commandments of Jesus -- to love God supremely, and to love their neighbor as themselves. When the altars are empty of tears; when people shout, but can't weep over their own sins, or anyone else's; when judgmentalism is prevalent, but self examination isn't; then it is likely that some have committed the unpardonable sin - or are about to commit it.

As hard as it is to believe, the unpardonable sin is more common than we have thought.

The Lord warned in Matthew 13 that in the last days the "tares" would ripen and be more recognizable than in previous periods.

We are told in II Peter 2, that some false teachers would be at the church "feasts" or dinners.

In II Timothy 4, we are warned that in the last days some shall depart from the faith, following some latter day doctrines devised by demons to lead people from the truth of God's Word.

In I John 4, we are warned that these doctrines need to be tested and tried, because of their deceptiveness.

In II Corinthians 11:13-15, we are warned that some will appear as "ministers of righteousness," and "apostles of Christ."

Over and over the Bible encourages us to "watch," (gregoreo, = stay awake). The deceitfulness of some former Christians (who have lost the possibility of ever finding salvation again, because of their sinning of the unpardonable sin) is great.

They may be able:
to do Christian service,
to hold church positions,
to weep (not in repentance, but in feeling sorry for themselves),
to carry on a hypocritical pretense of serving God,
etc.;
but in reality- they have lost God!

There are many that, perhaps have not sinned the unpardonable sin yet, are so close to this terrible sin, that only a revival of great proportions may save them from pushing a little farther in resisting the Holy Spirit to the unpardonable sin. God is sending them messages, dreams, visions, and prophets to warn them. I pray, they listen!!!

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
LIKE ‘AARON’S ROD’ THAT BUDDED, CHRISTIANS ARE TO BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT, AND BE ENLIVENED BRANCHES, NOW BEARING FRUIT

There was the ‘rod of God’ that was carried by Moses. Aaron had a rod too. It was a ‘branch’, it once had been growing as part of a tree of this earth. It was now a dead branch. This rod was far different in type from the ‘rod of God’ that Moses carried. Moses held a ‘rod’ that God sent power through, to do miracles. Aaron had a rod that was a dead stick.

This dead branch represents our lives.

We are of this world, but we are not sustained by this world any longer, we are dead in sins. There needs to be a new life in us, we need to have a supernatural healing of the dead branch that we are. The Lord told Moses to take the branch that was used by Levi, several generations before, and to write Aaron’s name upon it. This was to be laid in the tabernacle, in the presence of God.

Numbers 17:3-6 (KJV)
3 And thou shalt write Aaron's name upon the rod of Levi: for one rod shall be for the head of the house of their fathers.
4 And thou shalt lay them up in the tabernacle of the congregation before the testimony, where I will meet with you.
5 And it shall come to pass, that the man's rod, whom I shall choose, shall blossom: and I will make to cease from me the murmurings of the children of Israel, whereby they murmur against you.
6 And Moses spake unto the children of Israel, and every one of their princes gave him a rod apiece, for each prince one, according to their fathers' houses, even twelve rods: and the rod of Aaron was among their rods.

The others took their rods and put them there with Aaron’s, to see which one would supernaturally blossom. The one that would blossom, was to be the lineage of the priesthood.

We come to God and want to have supernatural healing of our dead, hurting from the removal of life in us. We are, in the natural, dead branches. There is no life in a dead branch, there is no fruit from a dead branch.

The other rods continued as they were. Aaron's rod became a living outgrowth from a life outside of itself. The blossoms and fruit came not from the live branch, for it was dead, but came from a source other than the dead branch.

We are outgrowths of a life that comes to us from God, we have no life of ourselves, this body is mortal, and the spirit without God is dead. There were buds, blossoms, and fruit, and this was all miraculous. We have no way in ourselves, to produce the fruit that God wants. So, we need to be given fruit, that we are not the source of. Aaron was shown there was in his ‘rod’ a life, with special life blessing of God.

Fruitfulness is the evidence of a Divine call.

This rod was made to live, with evidence, with fruit of life, to prove to the murmurers, the doubters, that life was within. Moses carried the ‘rod that represented the ‘power of God’, but Aaron had the rod that represented the fruit of the Spirit, that is the evidence of the new life within.

The design of God is to take away sin, and provide us with power and a change of heart, a life that is bearing fruit for God. But the dry rod revived and blossomed to the confusion of the others, and proved that the presence of God, indwelling the dead, the lifeless branch, can make alive and fruitful.

The people cried out: “Behold, we die, we perish, we all perish!” Without the life of God in us that comes when we yield to the Lord in repentance for our sins, remove our own pride and self centeredness, we are but perishing, dead branches.

If we die, if we perish, it is because of our own selves. We bear the blame for our own ‘deadness’. Yet, we cannot take credit for our salvation. The buds and blossoms, the fruit of life, has to come from without ourselves, as it did in Aaron’s rod.

BY THE FRUITS WE ARE KNOWN

Numbers 17:5-11 (KJV)
5 And it shall come to pass, that the man's rod, whom I shall choose, shall blossom: and I will make to cease from me the murmurings of the children of Israel, whereby they murmur against you.
6 And Moses spake unto the children of Israel, and every one of their princes gave him a rod apiece, for each prince one, according to their fathers' houses, even twelve rods: and the rod of Aaron was among their rods.
7 And Moses laid up the rods before the LORD in the tabernacle of witness.
8 And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds.
9 And Moses brought out all the rods from before the LORD unto all the children of Israel: and they looked, and took every man his rod.
10 And the LORD said unto Moses, Bring Aaron's rod again before the testimony, to be kept for a token against the rebels; and thou shalt quite take away their murmurings from me, that they die not.
11 And Moses did so: as the LORD commanded him, so did he.

The Aaronical priesthood was never after disputed, after that, for the ‘life’ was proven in that rod, by the fruit it produced. The rod of Aaron budded, and produced buds, blossoms0, and ripe fruit.

The life of a Christian bears fruit. We may fail, we may sin, but the life within us brings us over and over back to repentance, back to bearing again the fruit of the Spirit. The fruitfulness, the buds of good desires, the blossoms of holy resolutions, the ripe fruit of faith, love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, kindness, all spring from the High Priest, our Lord Jesus.

Aaron's staff, perhaps the rods of all the tribes, were out of the amygdala communis, the almond tree. In that soil and climate, it grows to twenty feet in height: The blossoms of this tree are delicate red, coming early in March, having begun to bud in January. In Hebrew it is “shaked” from shakad, to awake, because it buds and flowers sooner than most other trees. So, the rods borne by many of Israel were made of this tree.

To see a dead branch long ago cut off from the tree, without bark or moisture remaining, put in a dry place for one night, produce not only buds, but also the flowers and fruit, was a demonstration of the peculiar intervention of God into the persons who come to Him in humble repentance.

MORE TO COME

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
THE ALMONDS ON OUR RODS
THE FRUIT IN OUR OWN LIVES

Not only were there buds on Aaron’s rod, but there was almonds, fruit. The Lord wants to bring life and fruit, i.e. almonds, to the ‘dead branches’. There is healing for the ‘dead branches’ that make it so there is fruit.’

Galatians 5:22-25 (KJV)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

The fruit of the Spirit is the almond that the Holy Spirit produces. It is with purpose that Paul uses the word "Spirit", to denote that these fruit do not flow from our own nature. The virtues which he enumerates are produced only by the person of the Holy Spirit. Hence Paul does not let it be thought that they can come from our own hearts, even when regenerated.

1. love
This love is one that is for God and for other persons. On the meaning of the word love, 1 Corinthians 13:1 was written, and embodies far more than mankind could ever create.

2. Joy
In the love of God there will be joy. By the pardon of salvation from our sins, there comes a communion with the Redeemer. As we begin to serve Him, the joy continues.

3. Peace
This comes with realization of the reconciliation with God.
Romans 5:1 (KJV)
1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

4. Long-suffering
When we are in affliction and trial, and when injured by others, we choose now to suffer long, and not to seek to retaliate.

1 Corinthians 13:4 (KJV)
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5. Gentleness
The word means goodness, kindness, benignity; unlike the harsh, mean temper. It is a mildness of temper, calmness of disposition, a politeness. The Holy Spirit sweetens the irritable; makes the heart kind; disposes us to make those near to us as happy as we can. This is a kind of politeness which is only authored by the Spirit.

6. Goodness
This is the disposition to benefit others.
Romans 15:14 (KJV)
14 And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

7. Faithfulness

This is a fidelity, a faithful person to his word and promises, a person who can be trusted. The Holy Spirit makes a person faithful to neighbour, to friend, mate, to child. All pretensions to being Spirit filled and to not have fidelity are deceitful.

8. Meekness
This is the taking of offences as though they were not cumbersome. It is the accepting of the troubles in life, as though they are all going to ‘work together for good.’

9. Temperance
This is self-control. It is derived from strength; and has reference to the power evil passions of all kinds. It speaks of self-rule of a person over the evil desires of his nature. We often think of abstinence from intoxicating drinks, but the word is much more extended in meaning. Temperance is dominion over all evil desires, a moderation to all indulgences, as well as abstinence from alcohol. Temperance makes a person moderate in all indulgences; teaches that person to restrain his passions, and to govern and to control his evil tendencies.

There is no law of God against these fruit. These things in a person should never be condemned. Law condemns sin and sin only. Those with the fruit of the Spirit are not sinning when they have the fruit of the Spirit. They have crucified the flesh, have yielded to the Spirit’s control. The Spirit has therefore put these fruit upon the ‘dead stick’ that is our life. We now have life in the dead rod.

If we live in the Spirit, we are under the influence of these ‘fruit’ from the Spirit. Let our sins of intention cease, and if we fail, let it be unintentional, and be quickly repented. We profess not to be under the influence of the flesh; and to not be controlled by its appetites. Let us yield ourselves to his influences, and show that we are controlled by that Spirit.

The rod of Aaron spoke of this fruit, and this fruit should take over and change the dead branch we once were.

God wants to heal us, i.e. the ‘dead branches’. We have no life, no power, in ourselves. We need to bud, to blossom, to bear fruit. The dead branches need healing from God.

The Spirit filled person is first a Christian by that same Holy Spirit. These fruit are therefore in that person. We are to ‘know’ whether a person is a Christian by these fruit. If the person has not this fruit, they are not saved by the Spirit. Too often we judge an unrighteous judgment by believing that some one can be a Christian, and have all the opposites of these fruit. Either they were never saved, or they must have somehow lost that salvation.

Signs and wonders, gifts of the Spirit, do not prove one’s salvation. Someday, we find Jesus prophesied that some will claim to have had gifts, but Jesus still claims that He never knew them.

Matthew 7:22-23 (KJV)
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Therefore, in living and walking in the Spirit, in being a Christian, it is great to have gifts, and be filled by the Holy Spirit. Yet, first and foremost, we must first make sure that the fruit is there to make the gifts useful to God, and to be sure we are truly saved.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
IMPARTING POWER AND GIFTS
VIA THE LAYING ON OF HANDS

The ministry of the laying on of hands has been nearly lost. People do it on the sick, but have lost its application in other areas. It is mentioned often in the Bible. In the Bible, the laying on of hands is a key to releasing power. It was used:
-in the application of an anointing for ministry,
-in the bestowing of spiritual gifts,
-in the restoring of blessings,
-in the ordaining of ministries,
-in the receiving of the baptism of the Holy Spirit,
-in the confirming of prophecy.

Hands are often connected with natural and spiritual power.

Leviticus 9:22
"AARON LIFTED UP HIS HAND TOWARD THE PEOPLE, AND BLESSED THEM."

Psalms 20:6
"HE WILL HEAR FROM HEAVEN WITH THE SAVING STRENGTH OF HIS RIGHT HAND."

In the Old Testament, Jacob conferred blessings on Joseph's sons by laying on of hands.

Genesis 48:14-16
AND ISRAEL STRETCHED OUT HIS RIGHT HAND, AND LAID IT UPON EPHRAIM'S HEAD, WHO WAS THE YOUNGER, AND HIS LEFT HAND UPON MANASSEH'S HEAD...HE BLESSED JOSEPH..."

Also in the Old Testament, the priests would lay hands upon the animal that was offered to the Lord. This was typical of the transmission of guilt from man to the sacrifice.

Leviticus 16:21-22
"AND AARON SHALL LAY BOTH HIS HANDS UPON THE HEAD OF THE LIVE GOAT, AND CONFESS OVER HIM ALL THE INIQUITIES...PUTTING THEM ON THE HEAD OF THE GOAT, AND SHALL SEND HIM AWAY...THE GOAT SHALL BEAR UPON HIM ALL THEIR INIQUITIES UNTO A LAND NOT INHABITED..."

Witnesses against a criminal often laid their hands on the accused person before they stoned him. This was confirmation of their witness. (Deuteronomy 17:7)

When Israel would ordain some of the Levites into the priesthood, they would lay hands upon them to transfer to them authority, and give them blessing for their ministry.

Leviticus 8:9-11
"AND THOU SHALT BRING THE LEVITES BEFORE THE LORD; AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL SHALL PUT THEIR HANDS UPON THE LEVITES; AND AARON SHALL OFFER THE LEVITES BEFORE THE LORD FOR AN OFFERING..."

Joshua was ordained to take Moses place by the laying on of hands.

Numbers 27:15-23
"...TAKE THEE JOSHUA...LAY THINE HAND UPON HIM: GIVE HIM A CHARGE IN ALL THEIR SIGHT. AND THOU SHALT GIVE HIM SOME OF THINE HONOUR UPON HIM...HE LAID HANDS UPON HIM, AND GAVE HIM A CHARGE, AS THE LORD COMMANDED BY THE HAND OF MOSES."

The laying on of hands had a special significance of bestowing power, guilt, blessing, honor or ministry. Then in the New Testament, Jesus came and began to lay hands on the sick.

Luke 4:40
"...AND HE LAID HANDS ON EVERY ONE OF THEM, AND HEALED THEM."

Luke 5:13
"AND HE PUT FORTH HIS HAND, AND TOUCHED HIM, SAYING I WILL; BE THOU CLEAN. AND IMMEDIATELY THE LEPROSY DEPARTED FROM HIM..."

Luke 13:13
"...AND HE LAID HANDS ON HER; AND IMMEDIATELY SHE WAS MADE STRAIGHT, AND GLORIFIED GOD."

Luke 22:51
"...AND HE TOUCHED HIS EAR, AND HEALED HIM."

(See also -Matthew 8:3,15, 9:29, Mark 1:41,5:23, 6:5, 7:32, 8:23, 16:18)

The disciples observed Jesus lay hands upon many and saw the great miracles that were done. Jesus had taught them that these miracles were wrought in this way by the power of the Holy Spirit. Then after the coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, the disciples began to lay hands on the sick and afflicted. Miracles and healings were done in great numbers.

Acts 5:12
"AND BY THE HANDS OF THE APOSTLES WERE MANY SIGNS AND WONDERS WROUGHT AMONG THE PEOPLE."

Paul also began to lay hands on the sick. Healings and miracles followed his ministry.

Acts 28:8
"PAUL ENTERED IN AND PRAYED, AND LAID HIS HANDS ON HIM, AND HEALED HIM."

Acts 19:11
"AND GOD WROUGHT SPECIAL MIRACLES BY THE HANDS OF PAUL."

There are many methods by which the Lord has instituted the workings of healings and miracles. For some there is to be the anointing with oil, prayer cloths for others, and last, but not least, the laying on of hands. The church is told to lay hands on many.

Mark 16:18
"THEY SHALL LAY HANDS ON THE SICK, AND THEY SHALL RECOVER."

Paul was healed of his blindness, and filled with the baptism of the Holy Spirit when Ananias laid hands on him and prayed.

Acts 9:17
"AND ANANIAS...PUTTING HIS HANDS ON HIM SAID, 'BROTHER SAUL...RECEIVE THY SIGHT, AND BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT..."

The church at Ephesus received the baptism of the Holy Spirit when Paul laid hands on them and prayed.

Acts 19:6
"AND WHEN PAUL HAD LAID HIS HANDS UPON THEM, THE HOLY SPIRIT CAME ON THEM, AND THEY SPOKE WITH TONGUES..."

The laying on of hands seems to confer, on the recipient, a healing, or some other Spiritual gift. The people of that day noticed this connection. Simon noticed that people received the baptism of the Holy Spirit when the disciples laid hands on them. He desired to be able to do this too.

Acts 8:18
"WHEN SIMON SAW THAT THROUGH THE LAYING ON OF HANDS, THE HOLY SPIRIT WAS GIVEN, HE OFFERED THEM MONEY."

Timothy was given a special spiritual gift when Paul laid hands on him.

II Timothy 1:6
"WHEREFORE, I PUT THEE IN REMEMBRANCE THAT THOU STIR UP THE GIFT OF GOD WHICH IS IN THEE BY THE PUTTING ON OF MY HANDS..."

I Timothy 4:14
"NEGLECT NOT THE GIFT THAT IS IN THEE, WHICH WAS GIVEN THEE BY PROPHECY WITH THE LAYING ON OF THE HANDS OF THE PRESBYTERY..."

We have gotten too far from this type of ministry. We lay hands on people to pray, but expect no great thing to happen. It has become little more than a form or tradition to us. The church receives what they expect...little or nothing. If we would look at the Scripture, and observe that the laying on of hands was meant to confer something...then have faith that God still intends to bless us in this way...the expectancy would bring fresh blessing from the Lord upon this type of ministry.

The laying on of hands was also used to impart a blessing.

Mark 10:16
"AND HE TOOK THEM UP IN HIS ARMS, PUT HIS HANDS UPON THEM, AND BLESSED THEM.

The sending out of people to do ministry was also accompanied with the laying on of hands.

Acts 13:2-3
"WHEN THEY FASTED AND PRAYED, AND LAID THEIR HANDS ON THEM, THEY SENT THEM AWAY. SO THEY BEING SENT OUT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, DEPARTED..."

Acts 6:6
"WHOM (deacons) THEY SAT BEFORE THE APOSTLES; WHEN THEY HAD PRAYED, THEY LAID THEIR HANDS ON THEM."

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The laying on of hands has power. Therefore, as with any tool that has power, caution needs to be used with the operation of it. We must beware of laying hands of blessing on people that are sinners.

I Timothy 5:22
"LAY HANDS SUDDENLY ON NO MAN, NEITHER BE PARTAKER OF OTHER MEN'S SINS; KEEP YOURSELF PURE."

Amplified Version I Tim. 5:22
"DO NOT BE IN A HURRY IN THE LAYING ON OF HANDS - GIVING THE SANCTION OF THE CHURCH TO HASTILY (IN REINSTATING EXPELLED OFFENDERS, OR IN ORDINATION OF QUESTIONABLE CASES) NOR SHARE OR PARTICIPATE IN ANOTHER MAN'S SINS; KEEP YOURSELF PURE."

One must be proven faithful and true before we should lay hands on them to give gifts and blessings. Don't get carried away with this ministry. Let love and wisdom guide. Follow the Spirit's leading. Don't rush ahead of Him.

Even with this caution, the church, especially during these last days, should be laying hands on people:
in praying for the sick,
in conferring the baptism of the Holy Spirit,
in imparting spiritual gifts,
in connection with prophecy to give confirmation,
in bestowing spiritual blessing,
in confirmation and ordination of ministries,
in sending out believers to do evangelism outside the church​

If you have a particular gift of the Spirit for which you have been praying, you should seek someone who has that gift and ask them to lay hands upon you and confer this gift upon you also. If you have never received the baptism of the Spirit at all, then seek someone who has been filled with the Spirit and ask them to lay hands on you and pray for you to receive.

The church needs more spiritual gifts in operation. So few Christians operate in the gifts. Some gifts are not as evident as they should be. Why not ? Perhaps we have forgotten that the Lord has shown and demonstrated how these gifts are to be conferred.

The gifts of the Spirit are free, unmerited bestowments from God. We all desire them, and want them in the church. The Bible says to -"seek" - "desire" - and to "be zealous for" these gifts. So why not seek them in the way the Lord has illustrated in the Bible that they were conferred in the days of the early church ?

Through the laying on of hands of someone who is Spirit-filled, and gifted, these gifts will be imparted. Some have a gift of healing from the Spirit, and when sick, it would be wise to have that one lay hands on you and pray. When someone has the gift of the word of knowledge, and you have been earnestly seeking to have that gift - why not have them lay hands on you to confer this gift to you from the Spirit ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT

Often, at the touch of a man of God, a person is "slain in the Spirit." Sometimes it occurs when they pray for someone. The person seems to fall under the power of God. At other times, as the power of God seems to fill the place, people will fall upon the floor.

These such occurrences have stirred much debate. Are they Scriptural? Are they real? Does "hypnotic suggestion" account for such events? Some have suggested all such events to be "fakery." While some feel that the people are being "duped."

Even among "believers", there is much misunderstanding. Some believers feel that being "slain in the Spirit" is a sign of God's approval. Some feel that it shows God's miracle power being released in the person that is "slain." These ideas contain part truth. There needs to be a Scriptural study to reveal what is happening when someone is "slain in the Spirit." Blind acceptance of such events is not a sign of superior faith. We are commanded to "try the spirits" in order to determine if something is real. The truth can and must be Scripturally studied and proven. There are many similar occurrences within the Word of God. These can be examined to determine:
-what God is doing when someone is "slain in the Spirit"
-whether the event is real or fakery
-if the occurrence validates a man or a ministry
-if we should desire or seek such occurrences.

After a comprehensive study of the Word of God on these occurrences, there is one thing that is found in all such occurrences in Scripture. The main reason for anyone being "slain in the Spirit" is so God may speak to the one so "slain." Often in Christian circles, the event seems to be the thing sought. The person who falls upon the floor is lifted up almost immediately. The "fall" itself seems to have satisfied the person, the man of God, and the congregation. Yet, the person should have remained upon the floor and waited for God to speak.

Consider these verses of Scripture.

Ezekiel 1:28
"...THIS WAS THE APPEARANCE OF THE LIKENESS OF THE GLORY OF THE LORD. AND WHEN I SAW IT, I FELL UPON MY FACE, AND I HEARD A VOICE OF ONE THAT SPAKE..."

Ezekiel 2:2
"...AND THE SPIRIT ENTERED INTO ME, AND HE SPAKE UNTO ME..."

God doesn't put one prostrate on the ground for the "fun" of it. God wants to speak to the person. Have you ever noticed that many in a healing line may be "slain in the Spirit" and yet, only a few are healed. Why? God put them prostrate to speak to them, and if they don't listen to hear God, and obey His voice, they cannot be healed. They return the next night to be "slain" again. The message of God may be to tell the person what they need to do in order to be healed. Perhaps God may tell them that He does not choose to heal them at this time. Perhaps, also, God may want to reveal how He wants to heal them. Maybe, God would tell them that He is about to call them home to heaven. Too many saints have already made up their mind what they want God to do, and how they want Him to do it. They have no concern to listen to God's voice, thus they do not hear Him.

Again, let's look at the Word of God.

Ezekiel 3:23-24
"...BEHOLD, THE GLORY OF THE LORD STOOD THERE... AND I FELL ON MY FACE. THEN THE SPIRIT ENTERED INTO ME, AND SET ME ON MY FEET AND SPAKE WITH ME..."

Ezekiel 43:2,3,6
"...EARTH SHINED WITH HIS GLORY... AND I FELL UPON MY FACE...AND I HEARD HIM SPEAKING WITH ME..."

Ezekiel 44:4-5
"...BEHOLD THE GLORY OF THE LORD FILLED THE HOUSE OF THE LORD: AND I FELL UPON MY FACE. AND THE LORD SAID UNTO ME..."

Christians need to listen for the voice of the Lord. Too many pastors want to become the "only" voice of God. Evangelists want to pick up the fallen Christians from the floor and tell them what God wants them to know. Perhaps God can and does use that method occasionally. Yet, God is on speaking terms with many saints and would like to speak to them personally. In Christianity, God does not want a separate "priesthood" to be the mediators between Him and His own children. He has made all of us to be "priests" to Him so that He may speak with us personally. We must beware of being overcome with the experience of being "slain in the Spirit" so much that we glory in the fall, and them jump up before listening to God. The reason many miss their healing, answer, or miracle is that they forget to listen to God. Imagine if John, on the isle of Patmos, had jumped up and ran off to tell others about the fact that he had been "slain in the Spirit." He would have missed hearing the Lord tell him the truths we know as the "Book of Revelation."

At the vision of Jesus, Daniel heard a message. Great messages were given to Daniel because he listened after he was overcome by the Spirit. He saw a vision of Jesus (10:6), and an angelic interpreter was given (10:12). Perhaps, there would be more visions of the Lord, and definitely there would be more messages from the Lord, if the saints would today, learn to listen and wait when overcome, or "slain" in the Spirit.

Daniel 10:5-19
"...I LIFTED UP MINE (Daniel's) EYES, AND LOOKED AND BEHOLD, A CERTAIN MAN CLOTHED IN LINED...WHEN I HEARD THE VOICE OF HIS WORD, THEN WAS I IN A DEEP SLEEP ON MY FACE, AND MY FACE TOWARD THE GROUND..."

Daniel was "slain" in the Spirit when the angel, Gabriel, spoke with him.

Daniel 8:16-19
"...GABRIEL...WHEN HE CAME, I WAS AFRAID, AND FELL ON MY FACE: BUT HE SAID UNTO ME, "UNDERSTAND, O SON OF MAN: FOR AT THE TIME OF THE END SHALL BE THE VISION. NOW AS HE WAS SPEAKING WITH ME, I WAS IN A DEEP SLEEP ON MY FACE TOWARD THE GROUND, BUT HE TOUCHED ME, AND SET ME UPRIGHT."

Fear had come upon Daniel, but he listened. How frustrated God must be today at the rush of people to get away when He wants to speak to them. The main reason for being "slain in the Spirit" is to hear from God. God does not want to slay people in the Spirit to put a badge of superior spiritually on them.

When John was overcome in the Spirit on the isle of Patmos, he received a vision of Jesus. It is wonderful that he listened, instead of just getting up.

John 1:17
"AND WHEN I SAW HIM, I FELL AT HIS FEET AS DEAD..."

Peter, James, and John escorted Jesus on the way up to the summit of the Mount of Transfiguration.

Matthew 17:5-6
"...WHILE HE (Peter) YET SPAKE, BEHOLD A BRIGHT CLOUD OVERSHADOWED THEM, AND BEHOLD, A VOICE OUT OF THE CLOUD, WHICH SAID, 'THIS IS MY BELOVED SON, IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED: HEAR YE HIM.' AND WHEN THE DISCIPLES HEARD IT, THEY FELL ON THEIR FACE, AND WERE SORE AFRAID."

It is regrettable that they had not listened sooner (Luke 9:31-32). Moses and Elijah had been speaking to Jesus concerning His crucifixion, etc. If they had paid attention to what they were to hear on that mountain, they events of their failure could have been altered.

There are many who are "dull of hearing." God has a hard time getting many to listen to Him.

Matthew 13:15
"...FOR THIS PEOPLE'S HEART IS WAXED GROSS, AND THEIR EARS ARE DULL OF HEARING, AND THEIR EYES THEY HAVE CLOSED, LEST AT ANY TIME, THEY SHOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES, AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND SHOULD UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART..."

Peter was not anxious to hear a certain message from God.

Acts 10:10-11
"AND HE BECAME HUNGRY, AND WOULD HAVE EATEN: BUT WHILE THEY MADE READY, HE FELL INTO A TRANCE, AND SAW HEAVEN OPENED..."

God had a truth to tell Peter, who was "dull of hearing" on the subject. We too may not be willing to hear God's message to us under normal circumstances. So God causes some to be "slain in the Spirit" in order to get their attention.

God wants to encourage some. He wants to correct some. He wants to instruct some. Let's not be "dull of hearing." If you are "slain in the Spirit", listen to God speak to you. Follow the instructions of Eli to Samuel, and say as Samuel said:

I Samuel 3:10
"SPEAK, FOR THY SERVANT HEARETH."

For some, there is a reason that God hasn't healed them, or done a miracle for them. He wants to talk to these, so He can do the miracle or heal them. It may be a sin, that God needs to discuss with them. Perhaps it is a step of faith, or an act of faith that God wants, and He must explain to them. Naaman had to dip in the Jordan River seven times before he could be healed. A time of God doing great miracles must often be accompanied by people being "slain in the Spirit" for God to speak.

In the Old Testament, after Solomon completed the Temple, the priests began to minister before the presence of God. The glory of God was so strong that they could not stand up within the temple.

II Chronicles 5:14
"SO THAT THE PRIESTS COULD NOT STAND TO MINISTER BY REASON OF THE CLOUD: FOR THE GLORY OF THE LORD HAD FILLED THE HOUSE OF GOD."

Won't it be wonderful when the "latter rain revival" reaches the place where today's priesthood won't be able to remain standing because the presence of God is so strong. They will be "slain in the Spirit" as they try to worship.

Paul was slain in the Spirit" was when God warned him to leave Jerusalem.

Acts 22:17-18
"...I WAS COME AGAIN TO JERUSALEM, EVEN WHILE I PRAYED IN THE TEMPLE, I WAS IN A TRANCE: AND SAW HIM SAYING UNTO ME, 'MAKE HASTE, AND GET THEE QUICKLY OUT OF JERUSALEM, FOR THEY WILL NOT RECEIVE THY TESTIMONY CONCERNING ME.'"

Thus God may also warn us while we are prone on the floor. The speaking of the Lord is the primary purpose of the prostration, and we must cease neglecting the main reason God puts us into that position.

Sometimes in the Bible, the people that were overcome by the Spirit were the rebels, and sinners. Sometimes, the falling down is a time when God wants to judge the sin.

John 18:1-6
"...JUDAS, HAVING RECEIVED A BAND OF MEN AND OFFICERS FROM THE CHIEF PRIESTS AND PHARISEES...AS SOON THEN AS HE SAID UNTO THEM, 'I AM HE,' THEY WENT BACKWARD AND FELL TO THE GROUND..."

Acts 9:3-4
"SUDDENLY, THERE SHINED ROUND ABOUT HIM A LIGHT FROM HEAVEN: AND HE FELL TO THE EARTH, AND HEARD A VOICE, SAYING UNTO HIM, 'SAUL, SAUL, WHY PERSECUTEST THOU ME...'"

God is still speaking, even at judgment time. Paul listened, and his blindness did not last, because he listened and obeyed.

When Eli was "slain in the Spirit", he had refused too long to listen.

I Samuel 4:18-21
"AND IT CAME TO PASS, WHEN HE MADE MENTION OF THE ARK OF GOD, THAT HE FELL FROM OFF THE SEAT BACKWARD BY THE SIDE OF THE GATE, AND HIS NECK BRAKE, AND HE DIED... AND HIS DAUGHTER IN LAW, PHINEAS' WIFE, WAS WITH CHILD... ABOUT THE TIME OF HER DEATH, THE WOMEN THAT STOOD BY SAID UNTO HER, 'FEAR NOT, FOR THOU HAST BORN A SON'... AND SHE NAMED THE CHILD, 'ICHABOD,'SAYING 'THE LORD IS DEPARTED FROM ISRAEL...'"

We must learn to listen to God, for He does want to speak. Often the ones that are overcome of the Spirit, and fall under His power have a message of judgment to hear from God. They need to listen and repent. To jump up and not listen to the message God wants to speak, may result soon in a judgment from God. Instead of feeling as though the event meant that God was "patting them on the back," they should lay upon the floor where God has placed them and listen and repent.

Many people are concerned about the reality or fakery of many who appear to fall prostrate. Were they truly "slain"? The answer is probably "yes" for some, and "no" for others. So how do we tell if the event is genuine and God-inspired?

If the event is noticed simply for the event itself, then it is either :
-not of God, or
-the person has missed the real purpose of God's dealing.

Never in the Bible did falling prostrate become the main emphasis. The falling down was just a "prelude" to a great event. Today, too many get all excited about the "prelude", and miss even the expectancy of more to follow. The only "more" that some expect is the "desire of their heart" that made them go forward for prayer. There is often some other reason or purpose of God in the event of being "slain in the Spirit."

In the revivals of the church age, many (if not all) had occurrences of people falling prostrate before the Lord. In the ministry of John Wesley, founder of the Methodist Church, people often fell to the ground. When Jonathan Edwards preached people would faint. During sermons of Charles Finney, people would fall out of their chairs. The reason for all such occurrences is not to simply demonstrate God's power, rather it is to get the people's attention so that God might speak to them.

God does something inside the people who are "slain." Sometimes they have remained down for hours. God deals with them on deep issues while they are prone before Him.

These issues include:
unforgiveness,
grudges,
hurts,
grief,
emotional problems.

Sometimes the person seems to become entangled in a visible struggle. This is usually the struggle against demonic oppression that needs handled before the Lord may do for them the miracle that they seek.

Think for a moment of the frustration that God must feel as He tries to get people to listen to Him, and ushers or ministers rush the person that is prostrate back to their feet and wants to move ahead with more of the service. We try to make God fit our service outline, and wonder why the same people are "slain in the Spirit" service after service. Ushers and ministers need to refrain from rushing the people to their feet. Let's allow the Lord to speak as He desires. He does not always want to speak only through sermons, or through the messages in tongues, and interpretations. God is a God of variety and will use many methods to speak to His people. The falling down prostrate upon the floor is a sign that God wishes to speak to an individual, as much as a message in an unknown tongue is a sign. The service is supposed to be in the control of God. Let's not rush to get to the next part of the service so much that we push God's plan aside.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
HEARING THE VOICE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

God Himself spoke only several times in the New Testament. At the baptism of Jesus, He spoke and said--"THIS IS MY BELOVED SON..." (Matthew 3:17).

Then in John 12:28, God "THUNDERED:" "I HAVE BOTH GLORIFIED IT AND WILL GLORIFY IT..." Another time was on the Mount of Transfiguration, "THIS IS MY BELOVED SON, IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED..." (Matthew 17:5).

Of course, during Jesus' 33 years of ministry, He spoke often. After His resurrection, for another 40 days, Jesus spoke much with His disciples. Later, He spoke to Paul on the road to Damascus. On very special occasions, Jesus will speak personally.

This is the age of the Spirit. He speaks the most during this age. We need to learn to hear His voice. The Spirit listens to what the Lord Jesus and God have to say to and about us, and then He repeats it to us.

John 16:13
"HE WILL NOT SPEAK ON HIS OWN AUTHORITY, BUT WHATEVER HE HEARS, HE WILL SPEAK."

The Spirit's main emphasis will be to testify of Jesus. So if you are in tune with the Spirit's voice, you'll be hearing Him often glorify Jesus.

John 15:26
"WHEN THE COMFORTER IS COME, WHOM I WILL SEND UNTO YOU FROM THE FATHER, EVEN THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH WHO PROCEEDS FROM THE FATHER, HE WILL TESTIFY OF ME."

Those who obey, can hear the voice of the Spirit.

Acts 5:32
"WE ARE HIS WITNESSES TO THESE THINGS, AND SO ALSO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT, WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN TO THOSE WHO OBEY HIM."

When we grieve the Holy Spirit, we lose the ability to hear His voice as we did before. The Spirit still speaks, in conviction to us. If we resist long enough, we may lose that. Some have hardened themselves so much that they don't hear the voice of the Spirit, even in conviction. We, as the saints of God, need to be sensitive to sin in ourselves in order that we may continue to hear the voice of the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit spoke to Peter at Joppa in Acts 10:19-20:
"THE SPIRIT SAID UNTO HIM, 'BEHOLD THREE MEN SEEK THEE. ARISE THEREFORE, AND GET THEE DOWN, AND GO WITH THEM."

The Spirit speaks to us often also. Has He spoken to you, today ? Yes, He has. Have you heard Him ? Many do not hear the voice of the Spirit speaking to them. He was sent by God to be our "Comforter." Has He comforted you in your last trial ? Yes, He has. If He didn't, then He is not doing His job. If the Lord were still on the earth and walked with you, would He be comforting you in your trial ? Yes, He would. This Spirit that has come to replace the Lord during this age, is here to comfort, testify of Jesus, bear witness that we are God's children, etc. All of these involve speaking to us. The Spirit is often speaking to us. We need to learn how to hear Him.

When we get into harmony with His voice, we will hear - "THE SPIRIT AND THE BRIDE SAY 'COME.'" (Revelation 22:17) The Spirit is so anxious for us to get to heaven, that He constantly is seeking to have us hear His invitation to "COME."

Jesus said to the church ages, as John recorded in the Book of Revelation, that "HE WHO HAS AN EAR, LET HIM HEAR WHAT THE SPIRIT SAYS..." (Rev. 2:7,11,17). If we decide to have an "EAR TO HEAR..." the Spirit, we too will hear Him. Yet, too many Christians, choose not to hear His voice. Some have gotten out of tune with the Spirit. Some have grieved Him. The Spirit is always speaking, but some are not always listening. Jesus told the church of Laodicea, (the dead, lukewarm church) that "I STAND AT THE DOOR AND KNOCK, IF ANY MAN HEAR MY VOICE, I WILL..." (Rev. 3:20). If Jesus has the Spirit speaking even to the lukewarm ones, as those in Laodicea, think how much more He has for the Spirit to say to you !!! Unrepentant sin, unwillingness to confront a sin in our own lives, a pride that refuses to admit that we are not perfect- will keep us from hearing the Spirit speak to us.

The Spirit's voice is constantly assuring us that we are God's children. Have you heard Him assure you of your relationship with the Lord today ?

Romans 8:16
"THE SPIRIT HIMSELF BEARS WITNESS WITH OUR SPIRIT, THAT WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF GOD."

The shame for Christianity is that this subject even needs to be covered. If the Spirit is constantly speaking to Christians, why do we need to convince many that He is ? Many Christians have not heard the Spirit speak. Many cannot remember when they last heard Him speak to them. This is a shame upon them. His voice is there. Like the radio, or TV -- the airwaves carry the sounds. Yet unless, they have a radio, or TV tuned in to the right station, they won't hear the sounds. Some Christians need to turn on the set, and tune to the right station. They will discover that the Spirit is still speaking to them.

The Holy Spirit witnesses to us in our conscience. With a still small voice, we hear the Spirit confirm that we are in right standing with the Lord. This voice is there to hear, whenever we desire to hear Him.

Romans 9:1
"I TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I AM NOT LYING, MY CONSCIENCE ALSO BEARING ME WITNESS IN THE HOLY SPIRIT."

The Lord Jesus heard the voice of the Spirit speak to Him. He then spoke to His disciples what He heard the Spirit speak.

Acts 1:2
"AFTER HE THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT HAD GIVEN COMMANDMENTS TO THE APOSTLES WHOM HE HAD CHOSEN."

Paul also heard the Spirit speak to him. He heard the Spirit forbid him to go to Asia. This guidance was spoken to Paul by the same Holy Spirit that speaks to us. We, like Paul, can hear the Spirit guide us in our decisions.

Acts 16:6-7
"...FORBIDDEN BY THE HOLY SPIRIT TO PREACH THE WORD IN ASIA. AFTER THEY HAD COME TO MYSIA, THEY TRIED TO GO TO BITHYNIA, BUT THE SPIRIT DID NOT PERMIT THEM."

In Acts 28:25-27, Paul says that the Spirit spoke to Isaiah saying, "GO TO THIS PEOPLE, AND SAY, 'HEARING YE SHALL HEAR." Yet, in Isaiah 6:8-10, it says that the Lord said those things to Isaiah. The reason for this is that the Spirit speaks what He hears the Father say in heaven. It is the Spirit that relays the message to us here on earth.

The same situation is shown in Hebrews 10:15-16, where it says that the Holy Spirit said, "THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE..." However, in Jeremiah 31:33, the actual reference that the writer of Hebrews quoted is said by the Lord. Again, the Holy Spirit is the voice of the Lord God here on earth. He is the One who relays the messages of Jesus and God the Father.

John 16:13 "...WHATSOEVER HE SHALL HEAR, THAT SHALL HE SPEAK..."

The Scriptures were inspired of God. This inspiration came as men of God heard the voice of the Spirit speak to them. They wrote what they heard from the Spirit.

II Peter 1:21
"...HOLY MEN OF GOD SPAKE AS THEY WERE MOVED BY THE HOLY GHOST."

If we learn to listen to this voice of the Spirit, we will be led by Him away from sin. He will direct us away from the pitfalls, and temptations of the devil. He will show us the paths of righteousness. We will be stronger and less likely to succumb to the lusts of the flesh, if we hear the voice of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:16-18
"...WALK IN THE SPIRIT AND YOU WILL NOT FULFILL THE LUSTS OF THE FLESH. FOR THE FLESH LUSTS AGAINST THE SPIRIT, AND THE SPIRIT AGAINST THE FLESH; AND THESE ARE CONTRARY TO ONE ANOTHER, SO THAT YOU DO NOT DO THE THINGS YOU WISH. BUT IF YOU ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT, YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW."

As we learn to hear and listen to the Spirit speak to us, we will learn to think as the Spirit thinks. The things we used to think, will slip away.

Romans 8:5
"THOSE WHO LIVE ACCORDING TO THE FLESH, SET THEIR MINDS ON THE THINGS OF THE FLESH, BUT THOSE WHO LIVE ACCORDING TO THE SPIRIT, THE THINGS OF THE SPIRIT."

Then, having learned to listen to the Spirit, learning to hear the loving comfort and assurance that He gives, we then should learn to commune with Him. The Holy Spirit is the One who communes with us.

II Corinthians 13:14
"THE GRACE OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, AND THE LOVE OF GOD, AND THE COMMUNION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BE WITH YOU ALL."

All Christians should speak with the Spirit. He wishes to hear from us. We are constantly in His presence, why not speak to Him ? We don't need to wait until a special prayer time, fellowship now. We can share together with Him. We may pour out our feelings to Him. He will tell us His feelings. We are partners with Him in the ministry of glorifying Jesus. He wants to show us how we may become more effective witnesses. These conversations are intimate and loving. The Spirit longs to be our closest Friend. He is in charge, but He is a loving ruler.

To hear His voice speak back to us is not as hard as one would make you believe. First, read the Word of God with an earnestness. The Spirit is the Author. To neglect His written Word, and then ask Him to speak to us is an insult to Him. Accept what is in the Word. To say, "NO" to it and then ask Him to speak is another insult. Then listen for the Words that we know the Spirit speaks often. Words of love - Words to affirm we are still God's child -Words that glorify Jesus - Words that affirm Jesus is coming soon -and Words that encourage us to come closer to Jesus, are the kind of Words we will hear. When you hear these Words, talk back to Him and you will be entering into the communion and fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

To stay tuned to the right station, and to continue to hear from the Spirit, we must be careful not to grieve the Holy Spirit. Anger, bitterness, wrath, judgmentalism, etc. are ways to send the dove of the Spirit to flight. Jesus had the Spirit as a dove descend upon Him at His water baptism, and it "remained." To have a bird remain around one requires a very peaceful life. Stay at peace with God, and the dove will remain. And like Jesus, stay at peace with mankind as much as possible. Even when Jesus had disputes with the Pharisees, and the moneychangers in the temple, He was careful to withdraw and spend time with the Lord to keep at peace with Him.

As we develop this type of relationship with the Spirit, we will hear more and more from Him. The conversation will develop, and the understanding of God will develop. He will continually draw us back to the Word of God, for He is a Teacher. To try to claim that the Spirit is speaking to one, and that one does not love the Word of God and read it much - proves that they are not truly hearing from the Spirit, at least not much. The Spirit will keep you in the Word. This is the fine tuning to keep us on the right station. The Word of God will become alive to us, because the Author Himself will be explaining it to us as we read. How exciting the Word of God becomes, when you can listen to its Author explain it to you.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Numbers 12:6 (KJV)
6 And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.

God has chosen to speak unto us in visions and in dreams.

This is the bestowment of His message, His speaking to us via those ways. God’s ministers should desire and require revelation. God speaks in many ways. The Word of God speaks to every generation. It is the testing of every other kind of revelation from God. God may speak to us, directly. We test each of those instances by the Word of God. After God speaks, there can come confirmations in various ways. One way of God speaking to us, is through dreams and visions.

Mankind has been created to be "eye-minded". This means that mankind thinks, remembers, and imagines in terms of vision. God did this so that He might communicate with us through visions and dreams. Therefore, for the saint, visions and dreams should be common.

Through dreams, visions, or mental pictures,
God has imparted revelation to His children.

These visions and dreams can occur when we are:
asleep (Isaiah 29:7; Daniel 2:19,28; Daniel 4:9; Daniel 7:1-2,7,13; Daniel 8:18),
in a trance (Numbers 24:4,16; Acts 10:10; Acts 11:5; Acts 22:17),
in meditation (Jeremiah 23:16),
in prayer (Daniel 9:21-24; Daniel 10:2-21),
or while awake (Matthew 17:1-9; Luke 1:22; Luke 24:23; Acts 9:10-12; Acts 10:3,17-19; Acts 12:9; Rev. 1:10; Rev. 4:1-2; Isaiah 6; Ezekiel 1:1; Ezekiel 8:3; Ezekiel 40:2; Ezekiel 43:3).

The images, pictorial illustrations in the mind, making a message of God to be clear, are a vision or dream that we remember, and seek further confirmation of its import.

Some think every dream is a revelation from God. That is not true. Those who seek to interpret every dream that comes to them, or to others, end up with a confused mess. For some dreams come as a message from God. Some come as confusion and attack from the devils. And some are natural outgrowths of our active minds, its accumulation of jumbled facts, that can pouring out in manifold manner. To interpret those that are not from God is misleading to the recipient, for they then try to assume that the interpretation is a message from God. False prophets can seek to lead some astray by interpretation of dreams. Psychics and fortune tellers will use various dreams from the mind to direct persons.

When God gives a dream, He intends for it to be understood.

When it takes a bit of time for God to interpret it to the individual, it is not wise to hurry up the interpretation by going to someone who claims to be an interpreter. Dreams of the unsaved, or carnal Christian, who cannot hear God’s interpretation themselves, can be received from Christians who are given the revelation from God. Dream interpretation is not learned from books or classroom teachers, it is a divine revelation from God for each dream.

Dreams and visions to saints should be interpreted to them from God Himself. Confirmations may come from others, but God is not going to give the saint the dream, and another person the interpretation. He is on speaking terms with the saint, and intends to continue to reveal to the person themselves.

John is given a vision in the book of Revelation, that reveals, unveils, and puts all former prophecy given of the Lord’s coming, into a logical, harmonious order. This vision of John’s is marvelous, and magnificent. We should be in awe of such revelation, and desire more, some for ourselves. It will not disagree with any God-given prophecy, but will be a marvelous precept upon precept, line upon line.

Visions are still for today.

Psalms 89:19
"Then thou spakest in vision to Thy Holy One..."

Proverbs 29:18
"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."

Hosea 12:10
"I have also spoken by the prophets, I have multiplied visions​
..."

Prophecy is a word, a received word from God,
but it often is received in vision form.

Isaiah 29:10-11
“The vision of Isaiah... which he saw...”

Isaiah 2:1
“The Word that Isaiah... saw...”

Isaiah 13:1 “The burden... which Isaiah... did see”

Amos 1:1 “The words of Amos... which he saw...”

Micah 1:1 “word of Jehovah, that came to Micah... which he saw.”

Habakkuk 1:1 “The oracle which Habakkuk, the prophet, did see”

Habakkuk 2:1 “Write the vision.​
..”

The revelation is not the prophet’s, it is God’s, and comes from words of knowledge, prophetic messages, and dreams and visions. The false prophet’s “prophesy out of their own hearts” and minds (Ezekiel 13:2-17). The false prophets ‘speak a vision of their own heart, and not of the mouth of Jehovah” (Jeremiah 23:16, 26, 14:14).

The Holy Scriptures are a revelation of God, given by inspiration of the Holy Spirit to Godly men, and often included visions and dreams. We have here in the book of Revelation, a vision of great magnitude, given to John, the beloved disciple, but meant for all of the church age to read, study, learn, and live by.

Visions are instruments of Divine communication, and usually happen during revival...

Joel 2:28
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions."

Absence of visions, mark times of spiritual decline...

Isaiah 29:11-12
"And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed..."

Lamentations 2:9
"...her prophets find no vision from the Lord..."

Ezekiel 7:26
"Then shall they seek a vision of the prophets, but the law shall perish from the priest, and counsel from the ancients..."

Micah 3:6
"Therefore night shall be unto you, that ye shall not have a vision, and it shall be dark unto you, that ye shall not divine... for there is no answer from God..."

Understanding through visions and dreams, mark one who is blessed by God.

Daniel 4:9 (KJV)
9 O Belteshazzar (Daniel), master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in thee, and no secret troubleth thee, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
HOW TO HAVE BESTOWMENT OF VISIONS AND DREAMS,
from the Holy Spirit

God has promised to give us visions and dreams, so how do we receive the bestowment of those revelations? The bestowment of visions and dreams is for all flesh, male and female, old and young.

Acts 2:17 (KJV)
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

The methods to follow to get this bestowment from the Lord is:

[1.] Reverence God!

A holy reverence of the Awesome nature and person of God will allow you to be shown visions and dreams. The army of prophets will have a ‘fear’ and reverence for God, for He would not be revealing His messages to those who disrespected His Person.

[2.] Admit your desire to understand better of God's workings.

Be ready for new revelations that will make your present Bible knowledge more clear (not contradict the Bible, but enlighten passages that have seemed muddled or unintelligible). Some can get haughty in the amount of Bible study they have accomplished over the years, but the more one truly learns of the Word of God, the more one realizes they do not know. God’s workings are beyond finding out, and beyond predicting. The devil, who had known God for millennia, could not predict the plan of God in salvation, and was fooled into crucifying the Savior, which was a major part of the plan. For us to assume they could predict, and understand God’s dealings, is the height of pride.

[3.] Allow God to remove walls of ignorance. Allow new revelation, once it begins, to continue in multiple ways.

The education offered by mankind often builds up walls of ignorance, and God needs to be allowed to remove such walls. Throw out any misconceptions discovered, regardless of dogma, denominational proclamation, or long held creed. Misconceptions will be discarded constantly, as we see God’s revelation unfolding in our last days. So, the former things, assumed or mis-taught to us, will be discarded. All things, whether from dreams, visions, or past teachings, need tested by the Word of God. Dreams from God do not deny or contradict God’s Word, they confirm it, enlighten it, and the understanding is increased in the Word of God. In visions and dreams, the revelation started in prayer and in Bible study will blossom. New revelation will suddenly come after much Bible study. Scripture will become brightly clear, and will occur as when a light switch is turned in a dark room. Sudden revelations will come, and the true army of prophets will continue their love for the Word, and will verify every revelation in the Word of God. It is there, but often, we have missed seeing clearly.

[4.] Get your mind pure before God. Submit yourself to God and to His Word. Let God continue revelation in multiple ways.

Confess sin, search your heart and mind for any impurity. The heart that is pure by being repentant and washed in the blood, the heart that is tender by being washed and soaked in tears, will find that dreams and visions come easily. Test all new revelation by His Word. Do not hold firmly what denomination, creed, or long held tenets have taught if it is shown wrong by the Word. Many denominations have false doctrines, and the Lord may begin revealing through vision and confirm through the Bible that you have been deceived.

The proud heart, that has much to explain to God, to keep Him informed, will find dreams do not come easily. The humble heart, submitted to God, ready to be corrected and taught, will find dreams are often to come and be remembered.

After being shown new revelation, do not rush final judgment, for if you are receiving it from God, He will continue to confirm it and interpret it, with more Scripture as time proceeds. Most dreams are only the beginning of God’s revelation.

There will come more dreams, there will come Scriptural verification, there will come confirmations in various ways. Some want a dream to be the whole revelation. Some will seek someone to give them the message, and to interpret the dream, so they can put the whole thing to rest. If you find yourself in that situation, you have frustrated and hindered the amount of revelation that God can give you. You have also opened yourself up to having 25 or more interpretations from the minds of seemingly helpful people. Then, in the midst of the confusion, you begin to doubt the dream had the significance you could have found it to have.

[5.] Now Pray for visions and dreams... and in faith then praise the Lord for the visions and dreams.

The Bible tells us that when the latter rain revival comes, we should pray for more “rain” (Zechariah 10:1). Dreams and visions are mandatory for an effective army of prophets to operate as God wants them to operate. Pray for them, ask for them, and keep praying for them, even after you begin receiving them. God desires to answer your prayers. It is God’s promise to not withhold any ‘good thing’ from us. So, if we ask as told to do, we can then immediately begin to thank Him, for we know He will do what He has promised.

[6.] Stay humble, visions, dreams, and revelations are meant for all (Joel 2:28), and that you receive such does not prove you are special.
God is "no respecter of persons..."

The devil would like to sit upon the shoulders of the army of prophets, and tell them all the things they have ever done that make them unworthy of dreams and visions. That list, can be put under things that God does not remember any more. So, do not get prideful, but do not be beaten to the ground with ‘forgiven already’ sins of the past.

[7.] Openly relate your revelations (unless directed otherwise by the Lord).

You will be mocked, reviled, and ridiculed (as Joseph was by his brothers); you may be disbelieved (as was Jeremiah by his generation); and misunderstood (as has been Daniel for generations). Tell your dreams and visions anyway, you will not be the first to be thought "crazy" and "fanatical". All the prophets were, many were killed to shut them up about visions the others could not endure hearing about.

[8.] Question, question, question.

If you do not have questions, questions that burden, torment, and trouble you, you will not be given visions, dreams, and revelation to answer them. Search the Word, enough to have some questions. Search for the answers, and the Word of God will answer much. With every answer will come several more questions.

All the prophets of God started with some troubling questions, and their revelations came from God in answer to such questions.

Abraham wondered where his final home would be when God sent him on his journey. God showed him a revelation and vision of the New Jerusalem that made him only live in a tent, for he desired that vision to be fulfilled.

Moses questioned what would happen to the nation of Israel, and the revelations to Moses were God's answers to such questions. Question God, and Question God, and Question God, and you will be given revelation!

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
BESTOWMENT OF VISIONS AND OF DREAMS
IS GOD’S CHOSEN METHOD OF ENLIGHTENMENT
IN THESE LAST DAYS TO ADD CONFIRMATION
TO WHAT WE HAVE BEEN READING IN THE WORD OF GOD.

To fail to follow the above steps will result in ignorance, false doctrines, and torment. "Where there is no vision the people perish..." Visions are your choice, for God has already chosen to give you visions, and if you choose to receive such, you will. If you choose not to receive such, you will not. Those in false doctrines have had to choose to have their false doctrines, and have had to choose to retain error. God's truth is available and shown throughout all of creation. When proper truth is understood, the whole of creation, all of Scripture, and your visions and dreams will all be in harmony to confirm it.

Adam had daily visits by God. They walked and talked in the garden of Eden. These were literal visits and undoubtedly included much revelation being given to Adam. Due to his sin, he lost that intimate relationship, and the accompanying revelations. Many Christians still are in darkness and solitude from Godly visits and revelation from the Lord Himself. The resulting false doctrines of mankind's religions, the spiritual ignorance of sincerely-believed misconceptions are a result of our own Adam-like sins. Adam listened to Eve's ideas, and wanted to please her, more than to please God.

Many today accept denominational tenets, precepts unsubstantiated by God's Word, and long-held creeds, and the revelation from God, that He wants to give, is unheard. Do not blame Adam. Look at your own sins, sins yet unrepented, for the reason why you have not had visions, dreams, and revelations from God!

ARE YOU READY AND ABLE TO HAVE
VISIONS AND DREAMS FROM GOD???

Jeremiah 12:5
"If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with the horses? and if in the land of peace, wherein thou trusted, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?"

If the revelation of the Word, and of the revelation preached from the pulpit is more than you can accept and bear, then how can God give you more revelation through visions and dreams? If you cannot live for God with the truth you have, you will not be able to bear more revelation! God sought saints who accepted what revelation they already had, and who desired more revelation, and to them He gave more and more.

THE DREAMS AND VISIONS, IN THE BIBLE,
HAVE LESSONS TO TEACH US

There are 34 recorded dreams in the Bible, of which 22 are in the Old Testament, and 12 are in the New Testament.

Joseph spent many years in prison, and yet only a small part of the time there is explained to us. Much of the time, Joseph spent serving the other prisoners. He was as a servant to some of the other prisoners. Two of the men who were with him in the prison were the cup-bearer, and the baker of the Pharaoh. The chief butler was the overseer of the vineyards, keeper of the wine cellar, and the cup bearer of Pharaoh himself. He was responsible to test the wine, to make sure of its quality, and of its safety for the Pharaoh. The baker was the cook for the Pharaoh, and he was to prepare the meals for the court. He was responsible to make sure they were not only delicious, but also not poisoned. The offenses of these two, even if not intentional, were indicators that they had failed at their job.

From the book of Jasher, (an ancient history book quoted by Joshua and Samuel Joshua 10:13, II Samuel 1:18) we learn a few more details of this history. Allow me show what we can learn from that historical record. Certainly, the flies in the wine, as mentioned in Jasher, would be noticed, and were not deadly, if not noticed. So this crime was very likely not intentional. The nitre in the food, as mentioned in Jasher, could have been dangerous to the Pharaoh, and may have been intentional, or at least the Pharaoh, after reflection seemed to think so, and resulted in capital punishment. Within the prison, each of the two experienced a dream from the Lord. The Lord was going to allow Joseph to interpret the dreams for the two. Many think all dreams are simply reflective of subconscious thoughts, fears, and desires. Most are, or may be, but some do come from God. Even to sinners like this do they come from God. God had the Bible written, not only for the saints, but also for the sinners. He also sends dreams to the wicked, and to the righteous. The wicked do need an interpreter usually, for they are not sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s voice for personal instruction about the dream.

Dreams, visions, and how God uses them,
are not well understood.

The Bible tells us that many dreams are from the Lord, and many can be tormented by the demonic powers. Some can hear from God by thoughts implanted into the conscious mind, and this is fine. Yet. some find that God needs to implant the thoughts into the sub-conscious mind.

The dreams with which Joseph dealt seemed to always come in pairs. He had two dreams himself, the cupbearer's and the baker's dreams were two, and Pharaoh had two dreams.

When God speaks by dreams, it is not a question whether or not God is speaking. God will keep giving dreams, over and over, and not allow them to be dismissed, forgotten, or ignored. So, when a dream is from God, it will make a definite impression. They are usually unforgettable, and will cause great concern.

Joseph noticed this pre-occupation of the two men the next morning. They told him the dreams, and told him that they did not know how to interpret them. Since these dreams were from God, only God could interpret them, and Joseph was on speaking terms with God.

How did Joseph know what the dreams meant? How did he hear from God? Those who obey, can hear the voice of the Spirit.

Acts 5:32
"WE ARE HIS WITNESSES TO THESE THINGS, AND SO ALSO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT, WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN TO THOSE WHO OBEY HIM."

When we grieve the Holy Spirit, we lose the ability to hear His voice as we did before. The Spirit still speaks, in conviction to us. If we resist long enough, we may lose that. Some have hardened themselves so much that they don't hear the voice of the Spirit, even in conviction. We, as the saints of God need to be sensitive to sin in ourselves in order that we may continue to hear the voice of the Spirit.

Some think they can hear from God if God would allow everything to go right for them. Yet, here was Joseph in prison, betrayed, falsely accused, abused. Yet, he was still hearing from God!

Since the Spirit wants us to know what is being related through the dream, we will hear an interpretation from Him. He does not give a dream to torment us. God gives dreams, and wants us to know what them mean. Expect God to reveal His plans.

Do not go to people who want to guess the interpretation of the dreams and visions. They can guess, but the Lord is on speaking terms with you, and He will explain your dreams. He will give further revelation in the Word, in His conversations with you. When you trust others to interpret the dreams and visions, twenty people will give you 40 different interpretations! Sinners may come to you, who do not know God, and you may be given interpretations to their dreams. Yet, you are not a sinner, and God is on speaking terms with you. Let Him further bestow dreams, revelations, and understanding. He will give the correct interpretations, and He will not be guessing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.