Discussion The Spirit of Death?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,503.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
It isn't,... but some people think they see all sorts of things in scripture that isn't there.
1 Corinthians 15:54-56 NKJV
54So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

55“O[n] Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”

56The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Genesis 3:14-15 NKJV
13And the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

14So the Lord God said to the serpent:

“Because you have done this,
You are cursed more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you shall go,
And you shall eat dust
All the days of your life.
15And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.”

Paul speaks to a thing or a spirit? Did Jesus defeat a physical and spiritual thing or the old serpent the Devil?

For death is physical but only by scientific nature? And death is spiritual, being cut off from God, but did Jesus need to defeat that? Being cut off from God is God's decision and power, actually Jesus always had that. Not Satan nor a law in the universe.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corinthians 15:54-56 NKJV
54So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

55“O[n] Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”

56The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Genesis 3:14-15 NKJV
13And the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

14So the Lord God said to the serpent:

“Because you have done this,
You are cursed more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you shall go,
And you shall eat dust
All the days of your life.
15And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.”

Paul speaks to a thing or a spirit? Did Jesus defeat a physical and spiritual thing or the old serpent the Devil?

For death is physical but only by scientific nature? And death is spiritual, being cut off from God, but did Jesus need to defeat that? Being cut off from God is God's decision and power, actually Jesus has that.

If you have a section of scripture that "SPECIFICALLY" states that death is a spirit, then present it, otherwise quit assuming it does.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,503.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
If you have a section of scripture that "SPECIFICALLY" states that death is a spirit, then present it, otherwise quit assuming it does.
I think I read a preaching by Wigglesworth where he says 1 Corinthians 15:55 is Paul speaking to death.

For me Genesis 3:15 fulfilled by Jesus is proof Jesus defeated the spirits of death and not only sin on the cross. It was a challenge for Jesus to taste death and come back to life in the resurrection. He overpowered something, not His Father. The tradition of the Pascal Mystery. The great battle between light and darkness.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think I read a preaching by Wigglesworth where he says 1 Corinthians 15:55 is Paul speaking to death.

For me Genesis 3:15 fulfilled by Jesus is proof Jesus defeated the spirits of death and not only sin on the cross. It was a challenge for Jesus to taste death and come back to life in the resurrection. He overpowered something, not His Father. The tradition of the Pascal Mystery. The great battle between light and darkness.

I'm not concerned about people's opinions, even Wigglesworth's, just what scripture actually states. If it specifically says that death is a spirit,... then present that as your evidence instead of a bunch of assumptions.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,503.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I'm not concerned about people's opinions, even Wigglesworth's, just what scripture actually states. If it specifically says that death is a spirit,... then present that as your evidence instead of a bunch of assumptions.
Off hand I cannot recall a single passage of scripture, that simply says, death is a spirit. Scriptures together make up my leaning. And ancient tradition. There are angels of death, the creeds and the Paschal Mystery.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Off hand I cannot recall a single passage of scripture, that simply says, death is a spirit. Scriptures together make up my leaning. And ancient tradition. There are angels of death, the creeds and the Paschal Mystery.

Honest.

This is why we are to be careful about what we infer out of scripture. GOD's word is multiple thought, not singular, hence it has various understandings,..... but these understandings must be revealed by The Holy Spirit.

There are various spiritual "strongholds" listed in the bible. We must be careful we are not wrongfully adding to that list.

I might make a thread about this subject.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In Lacey Sturm's salvation testimony she tells that the pastor of the church she attended the evening she was planning on killing herself called out a spirit of suicide. Not all spirits are specifically listed in the Bible.

We only want to deal with actual strongholds listed in our bible, just like Jesus said about the strong man, no matter what someone else might say.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We only want to deal with actual strongholds listed in our bible, just like Jesus said about the strong man, no matter what someone else might say.
I'm not familiar with the Bible identifying specific strongholds, it you can point me in that direction I will be better informed. Regarding the OP, I think that there are evil spirits that are not necessarily strongholds.

I'm also not of the camp that wants to call every inconvenience a spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not familiar with the Bible identifying specific strongholds, it you can point me in that direction I will be better informed. Regarding the OP, I think that there are evil spirits that are not necessarily strongholds.

I have some information on that I can post, but at work atm. I will post that later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have some information on that I can post, but at work atm. I will post that later.
I understand. I'm usually on here when my work is so boring that I need to split my attention to keep from going crazy.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,503.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor

The Gospel used the term, "unclean spirits".

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not all spirits are specifically listed in the Bible.

I heard an AOG speaker into deliverance about 2006 say that to combat spirits first identify and name them by function. Rebuke the spirit of x,y,z.

However by the same token there could be a spirit of making up imaginary spirits? Some of it seems rather subjective with no absolute way to verify it. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
However by the same token there could be a spirit of making up imaginary spirits?
Both funny and not funny at the same time, because I've seen the deliverance ministers who see a demon behind every blade of grass.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both funny and not funny at the same time, because I've seen the deliverance ministers who see a demon behind every blade of grass.

Yes I have too. I think, like many things taken to extremes, it does a lot to discredit spiritual warfare in general. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see a lot of hair splitting in this thread. If you want to see the spirit of death, walk into a hospital, or look around at this time of year. I know we don't lean on our own understanding and I'm the first to advocate scripture over intellect, but at some point we can acknowledge that the Bible doesn't mention every single everything in all of creation, and listen to the Spirit and our own renewed spirits.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 15:25-27 KJV
25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I see a lot of hair splitting in this thread. If you want to see the spirit of death, walk into a hospital, or look around at this time of year. I know we don't lean on our own understanding and I'm the first to advocate scripture over intellect, but at some point we can acknowledge that the Bible doesn't mention every single everything in all of creation, and listen to the Spirit and our own renewed spirits.

Of course death shall be done away with by our GOD, but is it listed in scripture as a spirit that affects a person? No it's not,.... and we need to be careful that we do not assume that it is.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,503.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Acts 2:22-28 KJV
22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

25For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

26Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

27Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

28Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

Death is separation from God, God's action. Death is also a curse, a blockage to spiritual life of light and intimacy with God as friends in good love. Like a pinch to the jugular. It ignores or hates God. It wants God's glory without God's persons or character. It is another way of being, another operating system, without love and light. Not the original system, but the way after iniquity was found in Lucifer.

Death has a place, but is not the place.

As authors of death, the fallen angels are angels of death. They apply accusation and curse and hold people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course death shall be done away with by our GOD, but is it listed in scripture as a spirit that affects a person? No it's not,.... and we need to be careful that we do not assume that it is.
So are you saying that every single spirit is listed in scripture? That seems to me to be more of concern than naming a spirit that may not actually be a spirit.

Upvote 0