• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Soul

Discussion in 'For New Christians' started by Clintos, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Clintos

Clintos Active Member

+89
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Can the soul be related to the mind? Is there a similarity?

2. eleos1954

eleos1954 Member Supporter

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    In the Bible "soul" means a person/being. It is what you are, not something you posses.

Of course there are many who believe otherwise. Many.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater AgnusDei,qui tollis peccata mundi,dona nobis pacem Supporter

+4,574
    Norway
    Catholic
    Celibate
    The soul is immaterial as is God which makes the two connect at a level unknown to that of our fallible mind.
    This is what Christian mystics all about.
    Letting the mind rest and just take Christ in, like breathing in a wonderful smoke or the freshest air there is.

Our mind can realize certain truth about God though, but that's not so from nature rather it's the work of the holy spirit within us. Enlightening us, painting God before our eyes.

It's the soul Christ's speaking of when he says that if we believe in him we'll never die.

4. eleos1954

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    "This is what Christian mystics all about."

Is not what the Holy Bible teaches.

5. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater AgnusDei,qui tollis peccata mundi,dona nobis pacem Supporter

+4,574
    Norway
    Catholic
    Celibate
    What about all the epistles of Paul talking about the flesh and it's ungodly desires?
    (Forgive me for not quoting him, but I don't care to find all the passages where he writes about this. It's tedious work).

Do you believe that our bodies will not perish? Rest assured that as certain as we're alive today is the fact that our bodies returns to dust tomorrow.
    It is the soul, Christ is talking about when he promise us immortality in his kingdom.

We'll (our soul) get reunited with a body similar to the one we have now, but it will be glorified as Christ's body is. It will be immaterial though we can eat and communicate with one another.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. Clintos

Clintos Active Member

+89
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If one's thoughts can make them sick, then they can also make them well. I've truly been transformed. The human brain with God in control is more then capable to transform neurons and connections in the human brain that no psychologist or psychiatrist could do for me.

7. Clintos

Clintos Active Member

+89
    Non-Denom
    Single
    A soul is a person/being. Is God a person and/or being?

8. eleos1954

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    "immaterial" - spiritual (root word spirit) or physical? Physical.

The soul .... we disagree what that is I guess. I do not believe in a immortal soul as being something one possesses. A soul is a person, being. We have the breath of life which is from God ... if we do not have the breath of life (i.e. able to sustain our life with machines) then we are dead in the grave. Here's why.

Example: In Geneisis 2:7

King James Bible
    And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

In the original language: Hebrew

Genesis 2:7 Hebrew Text Analysis

Hebrew - Soul - Definition

nephesh: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
    Original Word: נָ֫פֶשׁ
    Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
    Transliteration: nephesh
    Phonetic Spelling: (neh'-fesh)
    Short Definition: soul
    NAS Exhaustive Concordance
    Word Origin
    from an unused word
    Definition
    a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

What about all the epistles of Paul talking about the flesh and it's ungodly desires?
    (Forgive me for not quoting him, but I don't care to find all the passages where he writes about this. It's tedious work). Not sure what you mean here.

ok now the word Resurrection

Original Greek

anastasis: a standing up, i.e. a resurrection, a raising up, rising
    Original Word: ἀνάστασις, εως, ἡ
    Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
    Transliteration: anastasis
    Phonetic Spelling: (an-as'-tas-is)
    Short Definition: a rising again, resurrection
    Definition: a rising again, resurrection.
    HELPS Word-studies
    386 anástasis (from 303 /aná, "up, again" and 2476 /hístēmi, "to stand") – literally, "stand up" (or "stand again"), referring to physical resurrection (of the body).

Christ's physical resurrection is the foundation of Christianity, which also guarantees the future resurrection of all believers (see Jn 6:39,40,44).

[386 /anástasis ("resurrection") refers to the physical, bodily resurrection of Christ – and people (both of the redeemed and the unredeemed).]

Ok just some "general" discussion to try to clarify what I a saying.

If someone believes that "a soul" (spirit, force, anything) goes somewhere at earthly death, (i.e. heaven, hell, pergatory) that is a continuation of themselves ... then they are believing in immortality of some kind form. I do not believe this.

The "breath of life' given to us by God and sustains us is just that .... the capacity to breathe.

We will be given new physical bodies? Yes, Jesus wanted the disciples and us to know that.

Luke 24

38“Why are you troubled,” Jesus asked, “and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39Look at My hands and My feet. It is I Myself. Touch Me and see—for a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

Note: spirit same definition used here, breath of life

41While they were still in disbelief because of their joy and amazement, He asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42So they gave Him a piece of broiled fish,b 43and He took it and ate it in front of them.

God Bless

9. eleos1954

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The Bible teaches that a soul is a being/person. It'a what we are, not something we possess. Many beleive the soul is some kind of a spirit or force, a "immortal soul". The Holy Bible does not teach this.

If one believes the Holy Bible is God's inspired word, then one goes with that ... if not then there are a lot of "beliefs" people have and they can believe anything.

What is interesting and unique about the Bible is that there are many prophesies that were made, some hundreds of years before they happened and many people and/or events can be verified through secular history, historical documents, and archeology as well as the Bible.

How does one know something is true or not true? Believe means to have faith, trust in. In order for me to do that I have to have evidence, the more the better. There is enough evidence in the Bible for me to believe it IS the inspired word of God.

Example:

People used to "believe" (in their mind) the world was flat .... but they didn't have evidence at the time, the evidence now of course shows that it is not true. There were also "beliefs" that the earth was "held up" by being on the back of a turtle or by Atlas, all kinds of "beliefs" non true of course .... did these come from their "minds"? Yes.

Isaiah 40:22

22It is He who sits above the circle of the earth -
    i.e. the earth is round - true

Job 26:7

7He stretches out the north over the void
    and hangs the earth on nothing. True

Both the above were written in the Bible before there were ways to actually verify the statements.

10. longwait

longwait Active Member

+267
    Christian
    Married
    Soul means mind, will and emotions. So yeah, there is a relation.

11. eleos1954

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    "Soul means mind, will and emotions. So yeah, there is a relation."

Meaning based on what? Bible, Science other?

12. Homer Les

Homer Les New Member

+23
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
  13. eleos1954

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    People believe what they believe for many reasons or for no reasons and it is their choice to do so.

14. Almost there

Almost there Well-Known Member

+759
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I think it is possible they are one in the same.

I see the soul as the software that runs on the hardware called "the brain". The hardware dies the first death. The software is thrown into the fire at the second death. The saved (born again) have acquired an immortal spirit that goes into eternity with Christ.

15. Jonathan Leo

Jonathan Leo Active Member

+149
    Ireland
    Christian
    Married
    Your soul is the very existence of you. When God breathed life into you, it’s your soul He gave you.
    A little word on how it’s all tied together

Our bodies, minds and souls are corrupted because of sin
    So outside knowing Jesus, we are like everybody else

The eyes see, the mind likes, the body craves, our spirit (soul) agrees its good, it tells the brain it’s good, the body still craves, the mind gives the go ahead, the body is fed.
    This in a nutshell is how temptation comes, we give in to our selfish desires, we interact with it, and sin is then fully born

When we receive the Holy Spirit, things change

The eyes see, the mind likes, the body craves, our spirit agrees, The Holy Spirit disagrees, our spirit and His spirit are in constant battle, the body still craves, the mind is waiting for the order from which ever Spirit wins, we give into our own spirit, the above scenario gets played, if we give into the Holy Spirit, the spirit disagrees, the mind says no, the body still craves, the mind refuses because the Holy Spirit is in control, the flesh is crucified and no sin is committed.

The body does what the mind says,
    The mind says what the soul agrees with
    The body in and of itself is not the sole reason why we sin the same way the mind in and of itself is not the sole reason why we sin.
    It’s mans soul (spirit) that’s corrupt and we sin when we are led away by our own selfish desires.
    That’s why the battle between your spirit and the a Holy Spirit is a constant one but as the old saying goes
    “There’s a white wolf (Holy Spirit) and a black wolf (our sinful spirit) living in both of us, the one you feed is the one you become
    It’s why Jesus told us
    Renew your minds by washing it with the words of God
    Man shall not live on bread alone but the words of God
    Take up your cross
    Crucify your own selfish ways
    Walk in obiediance to the Holy Spirit
    You will know them by their fruit
    Etc etc etc

Hope this makes sense to you
    God bless
    Jonathan

16. Sorn

Sorn New Member

+1
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    The Bible is not crystal clear on this unfortunately so it does allow for people to hold the view that
    1) We are just physical beings only and cease to exist when we die
    or
    2) We have some component that survives our death which is one of the following
    a) effectively immortal - hence suffer in hell for eternity or be in heaven
    or
    b) can only be destroyed by God (ie 2nd death, lake of fire) so eventually does cease to exist or be in heaven.

Now with option 1, the question has to be asked, if you have ceased to exist (ie, there is nothing left of you), how can you be resurrected?