Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The tollhouse doctrine is precisely one of the issues I take with Seraphim Rose and his followers. They act like it's dogma, but it was never officially declared as such. It's officially a theologoumenon, like YEC vs. evolution(another thing that a lot of people like to act like is dogma in one way or another).
Toll houses were never discussed in my church's jurisdiction - GOC. So I've been indifferent to it or haven't really had an opinion on it. But from what I've heard in the few first chapters of The Soul After Death read to me by my son, I see many of our early Church Fathers spoke about this in a concrete manner, meaning they believed it. So I have been more receptive to it and accept it probably does exist.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But we would be foolish to discount the Scriptural explanation of "the powers of the air" and so on regarding demonic influence.
That portion really hit my son, his friend, and I. We'd not even thought about that, for some reason, even though it makes sense.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought what the toll houses were are a set of tolls where demons go through all of the sins that you haven’t confessed, and then you have to show a good work to “make up” for any of the sins. If you aren’t able to, the demons drag you to hell.

It’s a process of getting rid of sins after death and using deeds to do so, which is what Purgatory is similar to - while Purgatory is a place of purifying flames (traditionally), the good deeds of the person or others expediates the process, and the goal of both is to wrap up unconfessed sins.

It’s a purification, directly or indirectly.
The way I understand it is that the demons will try and tempt you (your guardian angel is with you, though. You're not alone) with the sins that you perhaps didn't struggle against or had a hard time with while on Earth. And you have to recognize those sins and not be tempted at that moment and move on toward the taste of God's Kingdom or torment.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'll get around to reading the book but if it does not refer often to the Bible or at least to Saints who base their beliefs on the Bible or Church traditions I'll be very disappointed.

it does.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought this was a really great book by Fr. Seraphim. The first time I'd read anything by Fr. Seraphim (I believe it was "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future", I was quickly turned off and stopped reading, because it struck me as too narrow minded and harsh. Shortly thereafter I had related my experience of his work to my spiritual father, Archimandrite Alexander (Cutler), of Blessed Memory, and in the presence of other brothers in the monastery. They had told me that I should not be discouraged by Fr. Seraphim's strong polemical tone, and that he was truly about the most kind and compassionate man they've ever known. They spoke of him as if he were still alive, and so, interestingly, I wasn't even aware that he had already passed a few years earlier. I've since come to appreciate Fr. Seraphim's publications. I'd like to read more of his books. I have a hard time getting much reading done these days. Frankly, that's a bummer.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought this was a really great book by Fr. Seraphim. The first time I'd read anything by Fr. Seraphim (I believe it was "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future", I was quickly turned off and stopped reading, because it struck me as too narrow minded and harsh. Shortly thereafter I had related my experience of his work to my spiritual father, Archimandrite Alexander (Cutler), of Blessed Memory, and in the presence of other brothers in the monastery. They had told me that I should not be discouraged by Fr. Seraphim's strong polemical tone, and that he was truly about the most kind and compassionate man they've ever known. They spoke of him as if he were still alive, and so, interestingly, I wasn't even aware that he had already passed a few years earlier. I've since come to appreciate Fr. Seraphim's publications. I'd like to read more of his books. I have a hard time getting much reading done these days. Frankly, that's a bummer.

I remember when I was first Orthodox being warned not to read some of his stuff, not because of errors, but because he deals with very heavy and sobering stuff.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember when I was first Orthodox being warned not to read some of his stuff, not because of errors, but because he deals with very heavy and sobering stuff.
Some people get bothered by heavy stuff, as though not being adequately prepared for it (Hebrews 5:12-14).

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF and to TAW. :)

It’s been a while since I last read it, so I’m not sure. I do know that I contemplated many passages of Scripture as I was reading it. But I can’t remember if that was because he explicitly brought them up and explained them in that context.

I did find it very enlightening. But I didn’t read it right away after becoming Orthodox and had been strongly cautioned to seek guidance if I did. I think that was mostly about not being too literal about some spiritual understanding there.

One thing that comforts me about the afterlife is Christ's multiple promises of protection in the Bible for those who abide in Christ. The promises are so strong to the point of us being predestined as long as we abide in Christ.

I'll get around to reading the book but if it does not refer often to the Bible or at least to Saints who base their beliefs on the Bible or Church traditions I'll be very disappointed.

Upvote 0