Nov 21, 2009
A stranger & a pilgrim sojourning near Cambridge
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some very good points have been raised.

My wife prayed the sinners prayer as a teen ager but admits that she was not Saved then until several yrs later when she really knew/understood what it meant to follow Jesus.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Some very good points have been raised.

My wife prayed the sinners prayer as a teen ager but admits that she was not Saved then until several yrs later when she really knew/understood what it meant to follow Jesus.

I probably said a sinner's prayer when I was in my preteens. I remember going to a big music festival thing with my church youth group, and they laid alter call on pretty thick. I remember thinking that I really ought to say this prayer thing just in case they are right about hell and all that. But, from the way I lived my life afterwards, I don't think it took until I was much older, and my salvation prayer sounded nothing like the "sinner's prayer" that is so often thrown about.

Sadly, one phenomenon I see at a lot of events directed at youth is a strong emotional appeal followed by an alter call (that directs kids to "say the sinner's prayer and be saved"). I have known perhaps one or two students who said the prayer at one of these events and experienced life change. I have known dozens who did it because that is what they thought they were supposed to do and were no different after than they were before.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

My Father is the Gardener
Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I probably said a sinner's prayer when I was in my preteens. I remember going to a big music festival thing with my church youth group, and they laid alter call on pretty thick. I remember thinking that I really ought to say this prayer thing just in case they are right about hell and all that. But, from the way I lived my life afterwards, I don't think it took until I was much older, and my salvation prayer sounded nothing like the "sinner's prayer" that is so often thrown about.

Sadly, one phenomenon I see at a lot of events directed at youth is a strong emotional appeal followed by an alter call (that directs kids to "say the sinner's prayer and be saved"). I have known perhaps one or two students who said the prayer at one of these events and experienced life change. I have known dozens who did it because that is what they thought they were supposed to do and were no different after than they were before.
Isn't it wonderful as we look back to see that it was His Hand that Saved us & drew us to Himself.
Also that as many of us trace back over our lives,we become to see with hind sight that it(Our call to Discipleship) was a proses rather than a wham between the eyes like the Apostle Paul.
The Lord is very gracious and patient with us all,especially with me.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Went to Christmas Carol service in Cambridge a few days ago where an evangelist gave a call at the end for anyone to raise their hand who wanted to become a Christian & those who raised a hand were to repeat after him a short prayer line by line.
It came as a shot out of the blue to me and I'm sure it did to many others,but a response was made by 10 or so ppl.
I can only hope & pray that this may be their first step in wanting to follow on to know The Lord.

Do others feel like me at all,that we 'corner ppl sometimes' in our zeal to win souls?

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am becoming convinced that the "sinner's prayer" and the eagerness of many Christians to get nonbelievers to "say the prayer" is quite harmful. The prayer (or more accurately, prayers of this type) itself is not bad, but it should never be seen as an objective or end goal. It is nothing more than a tool that can be used as a starting point to a salvation experience. Some people have genuine salvation experiences that are nothing like the typical evangelical sinner's prayer. Some people say the sinner's prayer and never experience salvation. It needs to be seen as what it is: a tool that is useful for some people -- nothing more, nothing less.

dies-1

With individuals now i do not ask them to pray the sinners prayer in the first time of meeting them,even if i think they are interested & i could lead them into the prayer,as now over the yrs i have seen that the Ones whom God has called will respond without undue pressure from me, giving them due time to think about it all,the cost etc of being a disciple.
Pressure or trickery is used in meetings i have seen where the preacher will ask for those to stand up who want to know Jesus and will lead them in a prayer line by line,then pronounce them as Saved.

I agree with you that the prayer is often part of a process of Gods moving in a persons life,or the start of a process for many ppl rather than the job done.
One dear man i helped introduce to The Lord 2 yrs ago was moved as i talked to him in his room about the Gospel,at the end i prayed with him and his friend and left.
A week later he see's me and say's I'v decided to become a Christian,i said to him when did this happen,he said after thinking about what you said I talked with God and asked Him to sort out my life and I asked Him to take away my sins after you told me about me being a sinner & needing cleansing which i knew I needed.
2 yrs later he is going on with The Lord and growing in Grace.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,505.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is just no Scriptural support for needing a "sinners prayer" in order to be saved. If, when presented with the Gospel, a person wants to pray in their own words fine. But don't try to tell them they have to pray certain words in a certain place. The "sinners prayer" is a product of the Christian religion NOT God. To be saved all a person need do is turn from their sinful ways ("repent") and follow God (John 3:16).

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There is just no Scriptural support for needing a "sinners prayer" in order to be saved. If, when presented with the Gospel, a person wants to pray in their own words fine. But don't try to tell them they have to pray certain words in a certain place. The "sinners prayer" is a product of the Christian religion NOT God. To be saved all a person need do is turn from their sinful ways ("repent") and follow God (John 3:16).

I agree there is no prescribed formula . in context of your reference . one must most notably be born again . And this happens by trusting in Jesus . the actions you have spoken of then follow eventually . as the new creation grows in that trust . in context of God's love and grace .

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh what grief and anguish to have half ran the race on earth only to be told at Heavens gate 'there is no place for you here'
Does this ever worry anyone at times this thought?

Last night it did me,thinking about all the different cults and some of there ardent followers who take part of Gods Word to believe and leave the rest out or believe lies.
Then i thought about me and what if in any way i am doing the same,but am blinkered to it.

'Dear Lord open thou mine eyes to see You as You are and not as i may have made You into' In Jesus Name Amen

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I agree, I had been hung up on the sinners prayer for the majority of my life and was always doubting my salvation because I was so focused on the prayer itself instead of what Jesus did for me on the cross 2000yrs ago.

I bet I have prayed the sinners prayer a million times only to walk away disappointed each and every time. I have also made a few trips down the aisle at church only to leave feeling empty inside and rejected in some strange way.

A person simply needs to believe on Jesus Christ and trust in what he did for you on the cross. Dont get hung up in a legalistic ritual such as the sinners prayer or walking an aisle at church because if you do you just might find yourself in a pit of despair as I did for many many years as a result of trusting in what it was that I was doing instead of simply believing on the Lord Jesus Christ and relying upon his finished work for me on the cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To be saved all a person need do is turn from their sinful ways ("repent") and follow God (John 3:16).

A person who is dead in his sins cannot and will not turn from sin until God intervenes in that persons life. I believe regeneration from the Holy Spirit comes first and then he empowers us to turn from our sinful ways.

To suggest that a lost person must turn from sin in order to be saved is an impossiblity until that person is regenerated.

The turning from sin will be a result of the persons salvation, not a requirement for it.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,505.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A person who is dead in his sins cannot and will not turn from sin until God intervenes in that persons life. I believe regeneration from the Holy Spirit comes first and then he empowers us to turn from our sinful ways.

To suggest that a lost person must turn from sin in order to be saved is an impossiblity until that person is regenerated.

The turning from sin will be a result of the persons salvation, not a requirement for it.

Repentance (turning from you old sinful ways) is the deliberate decision of the individual. The moment one does that they are covered by the blood of the Lord and are regenerated by the HS. They may be prompted by the Spirit but God will not cause a person to come to Him against their will. They must be willing and see the need for salvation.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many ppl are self seeking and not God seeking,thus they hit problems regarding a relationship which was never right in the first place between them and God

This link will help to make this clear

What Does God Want From Me Now That I'm Saved?

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The sinner's prayer is meaningless if they just say it to say it but don't believe it.

Romans 10:9
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A large room was seen afar off,one of many different rooms, set in the side of a great hole like a very deep pit.

Upon getting closer I could make out a name written on it..

The name on the door read…We all prayed the sinner’s prayer.

Upon entering in by the door my eyes beheld an incredibly large throng of folk within of all ages, some with crucifixes around there necks, but with all having a Bible in one hand.
Many were laying upon beds writhing in pain as upon a death bed , with a constant stream of words pouring out of there mouths.

I asked one of them a young woman why she kept saying the same words over and over again she said, ‘ I was told I was now forgiven and upon death would enter heaven’

Enquiring as to why she had not arrived there after her death she replied.
'We were not told to forsake the world with all its attractions but instead that we should seek to die to our old selfish interests and then press on towards the prize of the high calling,we thought we would enter into the Eternal City by right of having prayed the prayer'

I asked why she had thought so while on earth,she replied , 'It was like a kind of magic words to me that having said them I would be safe.
Here I cannot rest, partly because I keep hearing screams all around me of 'if only' 'If only' I had read this book ,if only I had'

Trying to get away from the noise I found an old man lying alone making a faint noise that I could hardly hear coming in short gasps from his mouth, as I looked at him I could see his lips were cracked and dry with what appeared like small maggots pushing themselves out of the sides of his mouth and going straight up into his nose. His eyes were blood shot and very sad.

Romans 9
30What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; 33As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

John 5
24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Galatians 3

1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
5He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
6Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

John 6
28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

John 15
4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Mathew 11
28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Matthew 16:17
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

So if Father God reveals to us that Jesus is our Saviour and Lord and
Jesus says come to Me and I will in no wise cast you out.

and The Holy Spirit testifies of Jesus to us

then we know Jesus has called us and we will not be cast out when we come to Him.

Jesus is Truth and His Word will not pass away.

When we abide in Jesus and His Word abides in us we will bear much fruit.

We can do nothing of ourself.

Therefore will power will not help us bear fruit.

prayer and bible reading will.

Getting to know Jesus.

Upvote 0

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a person must be born again before they can turn from their wicked ways and before they can obey Jesus teachings and bear fruit and forgive from the heart and show love and mercy to the needy.When they believe in Jesus they have everlasting life.

John 15
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit:
for without me ye can do nothing.
7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Only after abiding in the vine(Jesus) can they bear fruit.
They can do nothing without Jesus.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think a person must be born again before they can turn from their wicked ways and before they can obey Jesus teachings and bear fruit and forgive from the heart and show love and mercy to the needy.When they believe in Jesus they have everlasting life.

Thats exactly right because the Bible tells us before the new birth we are slaves to our sin nature. After the new birth the Holy Spirit empowers us and we are able to have victory over our old sin nature although we will still struggle with it from time to time until the day we are finally glorified in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"The sinner's prayer has sent more people to hell than all the taverns in America." - Leonard Ravenhill

Sadly enough thats probably true. The sinners prayer imo has done more damage to what true salvation is all about than anything else I can think of at the moment.

Upvote 0