Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Scripture doesn't have anything to say about piercings and we know the Hebraic culture used them as certain markings for certain things. The tattoo is specifically singled out as being a sin. Now, you don't see that as sin today, I do. I see sin as that which stands in contrast to God's character... and that character doesn't change. But we don't see eye to eye on that so no big deal. :)
I know what you think of tattoos; you mentioned piercings also; I guess at least some of them you don't object to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know what you think of tattoos; you mentioned piercings also; I guess at least some of them you don object to.
Why would I? :) I have no agenda on this... I simply look at Scripture and see if it is there and if so, how and why was it used. I guess I would say that a face full (or body) full of piercings would be wrong if the reason was "I think they look cool" and "hey look at me!" But if done for a purpose, whatever that might be, I couldn't judge that.

Brother, culture plays a huge role into the lens through which we see things. I am not condemning of those who have Tats because, though I see Scripture taking a position against them, I also understand the culture paradigm we are born into and thus I see no reason to judge this action. I have friends with tats... some are believers... are they lost over this? No more than any of 100 other things I could list that probably isn't in line with God's perfect will. But... that is where there is a restoration coming, there are many places we have fallen short in.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would I? :) I have no agenda on this... I simply look at Scripture and see if it is there and if so, how and why was it used. I guess I would say that a face full (or body) full of piercings would be wrong if the reason was "I think they look cool" and "hey look at me!" But if done for a purpose, whatever that might be, I couldn't judge that.

Brother, culture plays a huge role into the lens through which we see things. I am not condemning of those who have Tats because, though I see Scripture taking a position against them, I also understand the culture paradigm we are born into and thus I see no reason to judge this action. I have friends with tats... some are believers... are they lost over this? No more than any of 100 other things I could list that probably isn't in line with God's perfect will. But... that is where there is a restoration coming, there are many places we have fallen short in.
You're right about culture, I think. Even in the Bible earrings and nose rings feature, of course.

I think these days also, tattoos have become a sort of rite of passage for 18 year olds; a lot of Christian young ppl want theirs to be faith based.

Earrings for young men also have become in some families a sort of benign rite of passage; I saw a quote from a reasonably strict mom who asserted that her sons' earrings have absolutely nothing to do with a supposed tendency to delinquency, as some critics seem to relish saying.

MamaT said:
Two of my sons have their ears pierced, and we are certainly not overly permissive. ... We haven't had one problem with rebellion, drugs, or anything else with our sons, despite their ears being pierced.

welltrainedmind dot com

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that tattooing is utterly Sinful and people who profess to be christian and the go and do it after professing it are being sinful and rebellious .
Culture of this world is not what we follow or adhere to and we are not to conform to it.
In my bible I read that we are In Christ a new creature and are to walk in his spirit. Not copy the world ways .

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree that tattooing is utterly Sinful and people who profess to be christian and the go and do it after professing it are being sinful and rebellious .
Culture of this world is not what we follow or adhere to and we are not to conform to it.
In my bible I read that we are In Christ a new creature and are to walk in his spirit. Not copy the world ways .
Actually a lot of young Christians have it done; for many it's a sort of rite of passage, really. I saw this quote, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Many young Christians actively wish to get ink because faith based designs are proven effective in witness conversations. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole wording of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure that other conversations have also arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

It's not for everyone but many Christians — young Christians especially — do it.

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually a lot of young Christians have it done; for many it's a sort of rite of passage, really. I saw this quote, FYI:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Many young Christians actively wish to get ink because faith based designs are proven effective in witness conversations. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole wording of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure that other conversations have also arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

It's not for everyone but many Christians — young Christians especially — do it.
All you've said is many young Christians Sin. Because they are led astray by unscrupulous people who teach them lies and by people who do not love God nor have Any desire to seek his will or obey him.
Such people shall be doubly Judged by God for causing even One of his little ones to stumble.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All you've said is many young Christians Sin. Because they are led astray by unscrupulous people who teach them lies and by people who do not love God nor have Any desire to seek his will or obey him.
Such people shall be doubly Judged by God for causing even One of his little ones to stumble.
Do you think it can be a good idea for ppl to be prompted to think about John 3.16?

Because in the example given, this would seem to have been the idea.

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think it can be a good idea for ppl to be prompted to think about John 3.16?

Because in the example given, this would seem to have been the idea.
again it is a promotion of SIN in rebellion against GOD . on of the kings of israel did what he thought was a good idea and justified it because it seems good . but it was opposed to GODS WILL and God struck him with leprosy .
people who persist in leading younger believers astray will be doubly judged by god for he says it is better that a mil stone were hung about their neck and they were cast into the sea then that they offend his little ones .

saying "its a good idea " WILL NOT ever make wrong right nor will it make SIN right .not now not ever .

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
again it is a promotion of SIN in rebellion against GOD . on of the kings of israel did what he thought was a good idea and justified it because it seems good . but it was opposed to GODS WILL and God struck him with leprosy .
people who persist in leading younger believers astray will be doubly judged by god for he says it is better that a mil stone were hung about their neck and they were cast into the sea then that they offend his little ones .

saying "its a good idea " WILL NOT ever make wrong right nor will it make SIN right .not now not ever .

So are you saying that reading the verse on paper is good because God can bless through it, but a conversation prompted by a John 3.16 tattoo won't bring blessing?

In other words, do you maintain that the Holy Spirit limited by the canvas and the ink?

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying that reading the verse on paper is good because God can bless through it, but a conversation prompted by a John 3.16 tattoo won't bring blessing?

In other words, do you maintain that the Holy Spirit limited by the canvas and the ink?
All you've said And keep saying. is many young Christians Sin. Because they are led astray by unscrupulous people who teach them lies and by people who do not love God nor have Any desire to seek his will or obey him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All you've said And keep saying. is many young Christians Sin. Because they are led astray by unscrupulous people who teach them lies and by people who do not love God nor have Any desire to seek his will or obey him.
Do you see agreement with your views on faith based tattoos as the key to everyone's spiritual life?

Upvote 0

Zayin7

Feb 12, 2017
Ngaruawahia
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you see agreement with your views on faith based tattoos as the key to everyone's spiritual life?

They do so by opposing Gods holy spirit .

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is significant that I don't see anything written in the New Testament about tattooing. It is not part of the works of the flesh that Paul lists in Galatians 5. To say that Christians who have tattoos are sinning is transferring something from the OT Law requirement to New Testament Christianity. I don't believe that it is sinning at all. It's the same as those who say that people who eat certain foods are sinning because they were outlawed in the OT. Jesus said that it was not what goes into a person (and I say what goes on a person), what what comes out of them. To evaluate whether a person is walking worthy of their Christian calling we need to observe their conduct and behaviour, not what they put on their skin.

Of course, if a professing Christian gets a tattoo with demonic type themes on their skin, one has to wonder what is going on in their heart. But a person who has a tattoo of a lion, depicting endurance and courage, I cannot see a sin in that. It would be the same as a Christian sailor tattooing an anchor on his arm.

In New Zealand, tattooing is part of Maori culture. I know of very godly Maori women who have the cultural tattoos, and these have never affected their godliness. In Samoan culture, there are tattoos also.

So to make a blanket statement that a Christian is sinning if he or she has a tattoo is a statement without New Testament support. The people criticising and condemning others with tattoos are, in fact, sinning, because of their critical and accusative bullying of fellow believers who have tattoos.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just to note .this topic has nothing to do with those who have tats that they got in their ignorance .I have tats I got while living in sin .
This topic is to send a clear trumpet sound and offset the lies of those pointedly attempting to promote this demonic inspired practice.
Tatoos are never of God and those who "promote " its practice are NEVER speaking from the Holy Spirit.

Test the spirits indeed .the moment one promotes this practice they are NEVER speaking by the spirit of CHRIST JESUS.
I won't ask you to provide New Testament support for your comments because there is none. To make a blanket statement that tattooing is demonic practice is complete nonsense. It is not the tattoo itself that should cause concern but it is the nature of the tattoo. If the tattoo depicts a demonic theme, then there should be concern about that and the person's motive for having it. But to call a sailor demonic because he has a tattoo on his arm? Ridiculous!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is,and outward action comes forth ,from the abundance of the HEART the mouth speaks .what fills The HEART is made evident outwardly in the words and actions.
These are listed in Galatians 5. I don't see getting a tattoo in that list. So to use the reference about the heart is an unworkable stretch - making the scripture say what it doesn't say concerning getting a tattoo.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Agreed... earrings and other piercings seem fairly common although there was meaning behind them. The dumbbell nose ring that some young lady wears, or the nip^%$le piercing is done generally for fleshly reasons. Whereas the earring or nose ring would symbolize marriage, covenant, or other things in times past. The tattoos and other carving were done when mourning or to honor other gods. Our God, the true God, said this was wrong and should not be done. The reason most people do them today is, again, for fleshly reasons. Those I have run into who have verses, at least most I have engaged in conversation (which isn't many, it isn't my place to judge but I do get curious from time to time) have gotten tats with verses and used that to justify the practice. One man said, "God doesn't approve but since I am putting His Word on my arm it honors Him." No... I don't see it that way... if He said don't do it then you honor Him by not doing it. Not by doing it and then justifying it somehow.
Personal opinion not supported by the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I want to be clear... I am not judging. Even though I have a different conclusion (our bodies are HIS not ours to do with as we please - I don't think His character changes so those things which He called sin are still sin, etc,) I recognize that I could be wrong and ultimately we all have something. None are perfected and all will be corrected. The position @Alithis is taking, the staunch, "My understanding is correct and you all might accept that" is wrong... it is a form of heresy and I won't be part of that. Sorry if I offended anyone!
Your comments are fair debate and no one should be offended by them. If anyone is offended and attacks you for your comments, they are sinning far worse than getting a tattoo!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
And yet... Jesus .the speaking of God,says a tree is known by its fruit.thus we are FULLY able to judge what type of tree it is .both able to and are supposed to.
So a tree that at its root is full of evil brings forth evil fruit.

So its very obvious what is in a persons heart..it comes out in thier words and thier actions.

In this case thier words that promote a demonicly inspired practice in disdain ,Not honour of the temple.Shows very plainly they are Never speaking from a heart filled with the holy spirit.bu a heart devoid of holiness to God.
If this is a blanket statement about tattooing, there is no support in the New Testament for it. To twist the scripture about what is in a person's heart is to make the scripture refer to something which is not in context in which it was written.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We are not talkin xyz, we are talking about defacing the flesh .an act of carnal flesh that has no regard for the will of God.

Any one in witchcraft has no problem with the topic or its origins.
It is a practice that fully conforms to the spirit of this world that now works in the children of Disobedience.
Personal opinion only. Not supported by the New Testament.

• Haha
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.