Harrisburg
✟209,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While at work, I've often caught myself thinking, "If I'd done this work, it would have been done right!". Now sometimes, this is accurate, but more than once, it's just a reaction I've had because something was done slightly different than how I would have done it, but it was still good.

I've been much more aware of this over the last year or two. Before, I'd have never even considered myself being at fault. I think this is one way many of us fall to this sin without even realizing it.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While at work, I've often caught myself thinking, "If I'd done this work, it would have been done right!". Now sometimes, this is accurate, but more than once, it's just a reaction I've had because something was done slightly different than how I would have done it, but it was still good.

I've been much more aware of this over the last year or two. Before, I'd have never even considered myself being at fault. I think this is one way many of us fall to this sin without even realizing it.
Yes, this is absolutely true-and a valuable observation. We humans have a predisposition towards pride, to over-exalt the self which is a result of the Fall as I see it. And this means we're also overly-sensitive to criticism as a rule. A case of innocence lost. And humility is in short supply in this world, and takes work to cultivate.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate

Yes ..and I do not know if spiritual pride is any different but it is much sneakier ...at least in my case . One of the other signs of pride I deal with is having to let some know that I already knew what they told me ...instead of just being humble and saying " OK " . Why do I have to let them know that I already knew ? Self importance . Now look at Jesus ...who actually deserved respect ...and he answered them not a word . Wow !

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
And now that you 've realized it, notice how this hydra of the vices springs up her head in the form of pride over 'your' 'great' discernment.
It is so subtle and you are very kind to point this out ...God bless you . This is exactly the need of our brothers and sisters . Maybe this is the washing of each other's feet that Jesus told us to do ? Thank you again dear brother . Let the righteous slay me ..I will consider it a kindness .

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to agree that pride, while sometimes very obvious, has MANY subtle traps as well. It's probably the most difficult sin to fully overcome, and can be the root of all the others. After all, the devil's sin was pride.

And if we succeed in overcoming it just a bit, we risk being "proud" of our humility! We humans are laughable creatures sometimes.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There's a story of a certain elder who was once beset by this vice and with his God given gift of discernment, he gave us an example of how to deal with this monster:

Demons once heaped praise on one of the most discerning of the brothers. They even appeared to him in visible form. But this very wise man spoke to them as follows, "If you cease to praise me by way of the thoughts of my heart, I shall consider myself to be great and outstanding because of the fact that you have left me. But if you continue to praise me, I must deduce from such praise that I am very impure indeed, since every proudhearted man is unclean before the Lord (cf. Proverbs 16:5). So leave me, and I shall become great, or else praise me, and with your help I shall earn more humility." Struck by this dilemma, they vanished.
According to one version of the story of Hercules and Hydra, our hero managed to kill the beast by dipping his sword in the beast's poison and cauterizing the wound after cutting each head. In this way the head would no grow back. The sword is discernment and the beast's poison is the very uncleanness of pride, which the elder used as a means to humility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums