The simpsons-against religion or just good ol' fun?

Are the simpsons sacreligious?

• Yes-it continually makes fun of christians(e.g. Ned Flanders)

• No-its just good ol' fun;i mean if we cant take a few hits without taking offense well be a nation o

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a tough question - it makes alot of fun at Ned Flanders - but surely anyone can see that Ned Flanders is far from being a normal Christian!!! I really don't know what their intentions are, but certainly sometimes one gets the impression they are trying to make fun of Christianity. In fact there are sometimes when I watch the Simpsons and I feel sick, because people may get the wrong impression of Christianity. For example, Reverened Lovejoy in some of his sermons "sweet sweet constancy" (everyone asleep in the background) and "be afraid - be very very afraid!" Probably the episode which I thought was an absolute joke was the one with the fossil angel and Stephen J Gould. Its portrayal of the relationship between science and religion couldn't be that much further from the truth. So, yeah, I think that some of the episodes degrade Christianity, but I don't know whether the produces of the Simpsons hate Christianity or are doing it just for fun - they probably are doing it just for fun, but who knows!

Upvote 0

Josiah

Super suction ears away!
Jan 20, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟716.00
This is how I feel: Take the time to read these verses...

Nehemiah 8:1-12

1 all the people assembled as one man in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the scribe to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the LORD had commanded for Israel.
2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand.
3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.
4 Ezra the scribe stood on a high wooden platform built for the occasion. Beside him on his right stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah and Maaseiah; and on his left were Pedaiah, Mishael, Malkijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah and Meshullam.
5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up.
6 Ezra praised the LORD, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.
7 The Levites--Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan and Pelaiah--instructed the people in the Law while the people were standing there.
8 They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear[1] and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read.
9 Then Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to them all, "This day is sacred to the LORD your God. Do not mourn or weep." For all the people had been weeping as they listened to the words of the Law.
10 Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."
11 The Levites calmed all the people, saying, "Be still, for this is a sacred day. Do not grieve."
12 Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy, because they now understood the words that had been made known to them.

Look at the reverence and awe of these people. They stood at the reading of God's Word. They wept when they faced their great sin.

We're missing the awe of GOD in America. I refuse to listen to, look at or otherwise be any part of ANYTHING that makes fun of GOD and His Word in any way shape or form. HE is Holy and is worthy of all honor and praise and majesty and glory and power and wisdom and strength. Don't let the ways of this world and it's humor deceive you...It happens so easily because of the society we live in, the "Oh lighten up" society. It happens little-by-little. It is Satan's way. It is no game.

That's how I feel...

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
Josiah,

You are so very correct. Not most but I believe practically everyone in North America, and Europe take God very lightly.
Many of them even attend church regularly. They will rush into
church, then rush out so they can get to lunch or get home to
catch the game while they smoke a joint or drink a few beers. Then without a second thought, watch something like sex in the city on hbo or ally mcgraw; all the time saying "Don't be a bible thumper, we need balance in our lives." It seems too many people
are more worried about their entertianment in the name of so-called balance, instead of being focused on God, and letting God
in on their decisions. I think it is only because most people do not understand the purity and Holiness of God.
In the Bible when God shows up, His glory is so brilliant, that
the person witnessing it cannot even bare to look at it.

Upvote 0
Yes, South Park mocks Christianity something shocking. I know I use to watch it. Did you see the episode when Satan and Jesus went into a boxing fight? And what about the time, when I think it was officer barbrady who said "Is there anybody in this room who has not slept with Mrs Cartman?" And they go around and show peoples faces in the room and then get to Jesus who has a guilty look on his face. What Blasphomy! The sad thing is, that most prime time TV shows either mock God or Christianity or both. The Christian is painted to be a moral uptight intolerant bigot or an unintelligent person while the non-christian is painted as smart and living life to the full. I mean, this just can't be a coincidence. Most T.V shows purposfully set up Christians to be intolerant fools. Infact, I will let you in on a secret. I'm an Australian right, and theres a T.V station called channel Nine (or Win television). Anyway a christian was to appear on some current affair program and the administrator of that program said "You do realise that the owner of channel nine [I forget what his name is] has a policy that any Christian appearing on a current affair is to be portrayed as an idiot." Talk about bias!!!!!

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
This is so sad that we even have this to discuss. You know, those
trolls who were really messing up this site with p@rn the other day were really only reflecting how most of society has been
"educated" to see us, those who devote time and love to Christ.
This is not a sudden shift either. It has been a slow simmering effect that people can accept. And they do not even see it.
Sad, very sad.

Upvote 0

FFX

PS2 Chick with Passion
Dec 11, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟15,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hmm... I'd like to think that the simpsons thing is just good ol' fun :p ... it also shows that we should be careful that we do not become like Ned Flanders... meaning, we should not become fanatical. It also allows us to see how people view Christians... it can be good and bad... but let us not be moulded into societies "belief" of what Christians are suppose to be. Oh well, that's what I think anyway...

Hmm... did I make sense then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
God doesn't hate anyone. He is, however, deeply saddened when He sees His children acting in some of the ways we do. I can say my personal belief about The Simpsons is that yes, it does make fun of Christians, and no, we should not support it. I don't think it is as bad as some of the shows on TV (ie-South Park), but then again, God looks at all sin as equal, doesn't he...If you hate someone, might as well kill them in His eyes.
The Simpsons portrays Ned Flanders as a Bible-beating fanatic, but this in a bad way (and yes, I'm fanatical for Jesus, but no, I don't go around shoving it down other people's throats). It portrays church as boring and the minister as dull and uneducated. I don't know about anyone else's church, but mine sure isn't boring and my minister isn't dull, and he is in fact, one of the most educated people I've ever met. Not only does this show degrade Christians, but it also encourages other negative behaviors. For example, Bart is very disobedient and disrespectful, yet no one ever seems to punish him for it, unless you count the endless blackboard sentence-writing. Homer is lazy and always tries to take the easy way out. Anyone ever read the many Proverbs about sloth/laziness? There are a lot of them. These just a few shortcomings of The Simpsons. Try watching Veggie Tales, or Bibleman, or one of many other Christian cartoons that are every bit as entertaining, and edifying as well, instead of filling your head with garbage.

Matthew 15:18-20
Jude 8

~N~
<><

Upvote 0

Josiah

Super suction ears away!
Jan 20, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟716.00
Well said, Hagiadzo. I think we also sometimes get caught up in who's right and who's wrong. We need to simply recognize wisdom when we see it and understand that when a Christian tries to warn another Christian about something potentially harmful, it's for the Glory of GOD in the end and not who is right or wrong. Everything we think, say or do should be sifted through God's Word and if there are any inconsistencies, it's not God's Word that should change (nor will it).

Summary:
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds
Hebrews 10:24

Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
Romans 14:9

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.