Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What does the bible say about the simple. For example, when he is surrounded by people who know more about stuff, like politics, the events that happen in the world, general knowledge and he doesn't know nothing to intervene? And he has tried to acquire knowledge but he just can't accumulate it and then it causes disinterest. He might be simple and seem dumb to the people outside. Is he doomed? What can be done? Does God help in any way?

Thanks.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For example, when he is surrounded by people who know more about stuff, like politics, the events that happen in the world, general knowledge and he doesn't know nothing to intervene

Well then, He has a head start to the Kingdom, because what others have to first reject of this world to get to the Kingdom, he obviously hasn't accrued.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Lord'sWarrior, are you asking about a Christian who does not know how to answer many of the questions about the faith, the Bible and God that are posed to him/her? If so, while we need to be students of the word of God throughout our lives, the call to most of us is to be "witnesses", which means we are to expected to talk about the things that we know*, not about what we don't know.

*(about God, the Bible, the faith, about what being a Christian and knowing God has meant to us, how we and our lives have been changed, and how someone else can experience/know the same things that we do if they want to and how to go about doing so, etc.)

The Bible also has things like this to say:

1 Corinthians 1
18 The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”
20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom,
23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling-block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,
24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.
27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,
29 so that no-one may boast before Him.
30 It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.”

Christians also, be they of very high intelligence or not, understand many things that non-Christians simply cannot understand or accept (from God's spiritual POV). We are, after all, indwelt, lead and taught by the Holy Spirit, and we have been given the "mind of Christ".

While most of the verses below describe Christians and what we are given by God as Christians, be sure to take note of the description of a non-Christian or "natural" man/woman in v14 below as well to see the difference.

1 Corinthians 2
12 We have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What does the bible say about the simple. For example, when he is surrounded by people who know more about stuff, like politics, the events that happen in the world, general knowledge and he doesn't know nothing to intervene? And he has tried to acquire knowledge but he just can't accumulate it and then it causes disinterest. He might be simple and seem dumb to the people outside. Is he doomed? What can be done? Does God help in any way?

Thanks.
Jesus said that we need to come into the kingdom of God as a little child. A small child just accepts and trusts, and that is the way we need to be when we are walking with God.

I was a high school dropout, and believed that I was as thick as a plank for ten years afterward. I had friend who had university degrees but never believed that I would ever achieve anything like that. Even my first wife said that university would be too hard for me!

But then she walked out of our marriage, and I started doing some theological training. I did five papers through the Anglican theological college, just by reading the set books and doing the exams at the end of the year. I got Cs and Bs, but they were passes. Interestingly, I got an A for pastoral care. I guess the trauma of my divorce and having to cope with the grief gave me a greater sense of what pastoral care was all about.

Then I got the opportunity to go and do a university degree, and I got special admission, and then completed the degree without failing a paper. That was a miracle. I am sure that God gave me the ability to do academic work. I have now two mastorates - one in English Literature, and the other in Divinity.

I don't think that I am super intelligent. I think my achievements were 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration! I learned that 90 percent of university students were ordinary folk like me who did what interested them and were satisfied with B+ passes and the occasional A.

I found that the A+ students were pains in the neck and up themselves, and thought they were a cut above the ordinary herd.

I could have done a PhD, but I couldn't find a topic that interested me enough to spend another five years of my life doing it. I did my divinity degree in my late 60s, and so going on to do a D.D. was beyond me in time, and finance, seeing that I am now retired and on a pension. But what would I do with a D.D. anyway? Just have it on the wall to show people that I could do one?

The problem I had at High School was that I had to do subjects that did not hold much of an interest for me. Even the English literature we had to study was boring, not like the interesting stuff I discovered at university. Also, at High School, they concentrated only on the A students and left all the others to struggle on their own. At university, they wanted you to pass and did everything in way of support. In my second year, the English exams were open book! How easy was that!

I decided that when I went to university I would do only the subjects I was interested in, and I ended up with a B+ average over all in my undergraduate degree. I did get A in 20th Century theatre, because it fascinated me and I loved it.

If you really examined the areas where you are really interested, you will find that you will know more and want to know more about those areas. You may not be a whiz kid in science or maths, but if you are not going to be a mathematician or a science, why bother?

I love music, so I studied that, learned to play the guitar, violin and piano. I learned how to take a computer apart and put it back together again. If I had my head screwed on right when I did my mastorate in English, I would have studied the works of Agatha Christie, because her writing fascinates me. I have a whole set of her books and have read every one.

There is a lot of snobbery in the knowledge area, and I think we have more knowledge than we think if we don't compare our knowledge with the knowledge of others.

I failed at woodwork at school and thought I could never master it. Just a couple of years ago (69 years of age), I decided to make my own banjo because I couldn't afford to buy one. I had to learn woodworking to get one worth playing, and so I did, and surprised myself at how I quickly mastered the skills with the right tools! I went on to make my own mandolin and several other types of banjo. And then I learned to play them.

I believe that when we have a simple trust in God, He can work miracles in us and give us knowledge when we need it. If it can happen to me, it can surely happen to you!

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Psalm 73:22-24

22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Thanks.

One of the great things about the gospel is that even a child can understand it and believe. Scripture is written in such a way that even the simple can learn and acquire wisdom and understanding. I mean, our Lord chose four uneducated fishermen, a tax collector, a political rebel, and a few religious folks, to be a part of his crew as disciples and later apostles. God can use the simple.

It is funny though, that Scripture says that God is glorified in the weak and foolish things in the world, to shame the wise and strong. You would think that the religious leaders of the day would have been the most receptive to the message of the gospel than the prostitutes and tax collectors. Didn't our Lord say something along the lines of that the Father has revealed these truths to the simple, instead of the wise?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You would think that the religious leaders of the day would have been the most receptive to the message of the gospel than the prostitutes and tax collectors.

Not likely as the simple wouldn't strive for positions of authority. The same has applied for the last 2000 years. That should be an indication of why leadership is often more self than selfless and headed in the wrong direction.

• Agree
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For example, when he is surrounded by people who know more about stuff, like politics, the events that happen in the world,

Thanks.
Politics.

1 Corinthians 1:26 For [k]you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many [l]noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the [m]base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

• Agree
Reactions: NeedyFollower
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not likely as the simple wouldn't strive for positions of authority. The same has applied for the last 2000 years. That should be an indication of why leadership is often more self than selfless and headed in the wrong direction.

I know Canadian folks are a bit hard to understand, but I don't understand your post.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Thanks.
During one sermon, the Pastor asked this question, "Do you know why God usually does not call intellectuals and smart people to preach the Gospel?" I thought that the Pastor's answer was going to be,because smart people have such big egos.

But,I was wrong .
The Pastor said ,"Because , the world needs smart people to become doctors, scientists, teachers,and engineers to serve humankind. Therefore, God usually call the average people to preach, teach,and to spread the Gospel."
As a scientist, I could not disagree with him. God has given us all different talents. As an example, Paul was an intellectual. But, the Disciples were uneducated, and ordinary men. No Theologian has ever spoken or written of Peter as an intellectual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
During one sermon, the Pastor asked this question, "Do you know why God usually does not call intellectuals and smart people to preach the Gospel?" I thought that the Pastor's answer was going to be,because smart people have such big egos.

But,I was wrong .
The Pastor said ,"Because , the world needs smart people to become doctors, scientists, teachers,and engineers to serve humankind. Therefore, God usually call the average people to preach, teach,and to spread the Gospel."
As a scientist, I could not disagree with him. God has given us all different talents. As an example, Paul was an intellectual. But, the Disciples were uneducated, and ordinary men. No Theologian has ever spoken or written of Peter as an intellectual.

In Lutheranism we recognize that vocation is ministry. We all have vocation, and so we all have ministry--as fathers, as mothers, as sons, as daughters, as brothers, as sisters, as grandparents, as grandchildren, as friends, as acquaintances, as neighbors, as ditch-diggers, as lawyers, as doctors, as scientists, as educators, as bakers, as shoe-makers, as writers, as singers, as retail associates, cooks, as laundry mat employees, and yes, as pastors also. But all vocation is ministry, for the ministry of the Church is toward the world in love, service, and sacrifice. When pastors preach the word and administer the Sacraments, they are performing their sacred ministry for the Church, but this service is not a superior work than the work than of the local janitor or custodian. To love others, to serve our neighbor, to provide shelter, food, water, medicine, education, and all the helps necessary for our neighbor's good are all the sacred obligation of the Church. One is not a Christian shoe-maker because they fasten little crosses to shoes, but because they put shoes on the feet of the shoeless.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
We have mans wisdom and gods wisdom. Being educated in mans wisdom doesnt mean one is wise by Gods standards.

But it doesn't suggest that s/he is not wise by God's standards either.

Celsus, a 2nd century pagan apologist in speaking of Christianity wrote "For why is it an evil to have been educated, and to have studied the best opinions, and to have both the reality and appearance of wisdom? What hindrance does this offer to the knowledge of God? Why should it not rather be an assistance, and a means by which one might be better able to arrive at the truth?"

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But it doesn't suggest that s/he is not wise by God's standards either.

Celsus, a 2nd century pagan apologist in speaking of Christianity wrote "For why is it an evil to have been educated, and to have studied the best opinions, and to have both the reality and appearance of wisdom? What hindrance does this offer to the knowledge of God? Why should it not rather be an assistance, and a means by which one might be better able to arrive at the truth?"
The truth? What truth is there in mans wisdom? Jesus is the way truth and life. Does mans wisdom teach Jesus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I suppose it might aid in finding the truth if one realized how backwards the thinking of man's will is compared to the will of God.

Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. 8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. 9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The truth? What truth is there in mans wisdom? Jesus is the way truth and life. Does mans wisdom teach Jesus?

You didn't answer Celsus' question. Man's wisdom, for example science, has enabled you to live a way of life in which you can communicate with people all over the world as we are doing at the moment. If this is evil, why are you here?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You didn't answer Celsus' question. Man's wisdom, for example science, has enabled you to live a way of life in which you can communicate with people all over the world as we are doing at the moment. If this is evil, why are you here?
Never said it was evil. And im not going to debate it either. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Never said it was evil. And im not going to debate it either. Have a nice day.

The truth? What truth is there in mans wisdom?

There is a very clear indication here that "man's wisdom" has no truth. If it is not true, it is a falsehood and thereby evil.

Upvote 0