MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This has probably been discussed a thousand times :p I'm sorry.. but I was wondering, when you're saying grace before meals, but you're not at home, but let's say, a restaurant.. do you make the sign of the Cross? what if you're alone?

the reason I'm asking, is because I'm starting a new school year at a (secular..) university and every day I'll be eating at the student center cafeteria place.. I want to say grace, but I'm kind of afraid (I know I should not be though).. I don't want to be ashamed? do you think I should make the sign of the Cross after saying grace?

Last edited:

JennyKatz

I'm a leaf on the wind. . .watch how I soar
Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you should make the sign if you normally do so. Why allow the judgement of others throw you off your usual behavior? I'm terrible at remembering to say grace, so I rarely do, but I generally do make the sign of the cross, even if I'm in public. The people who know me aren't going to mind and I don't care if the people don't know me do mind.

Upvote 0

MrStain

Nobody likes to be the Newbie
Dec 22, 2007
✟9,132.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now that we're Catholic we always make the sign of the cross before saying grace -- even in public. If it makes you feel any better we've never had anyone look at us weird when we make that ancient sign of our faith. As the old Nike slogan goes, "Just do it!"

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks everyone :)

it makes me feel better knowing there are others out there who cross themselves. :)

I want to do it, because I always do, and I've gotten so used to it... it just feels strange to pray and not make the sign of the cross.

what if you're with Protestant friends? I think in that case I'd still do it, as a witness to my faith.. and I don't see how they would be offended by the Cross?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This has probably been discussed a thousand times :p I'm sorry.. but I was wondering, when you're saying grace before meals, but you're not at home, but let's say, a restaurant.. do you make the sign of the Cross? what if you're alone?

the reason I'm asking, is because I'm starting a new school year at a (secular..) university and every day I'll be eating at the student center cafeteria place.. I want to say grace, but I'm kind of afraid (I know I should not be though).. I don't want to be ashamed? do you think I should make the sign of the Cross after saying grace?

Yep. Do it every time we eat out. You should too. We don't make it showy but if you do it before eating at home why not in public? You are just living your faith. Shouldn't be any skin off anyone's nose. :)

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I always make the sign of the Cross and say grace no matter where I am. Find the Newman club other Catholic students and associate with the Catholic community there. This will help.

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Will Protestant relatives do? Mine aren't offended. Probably figure that that's just me. ;)
I say go for it Monica. My protestant friends aren't offeneded, in fact, i think they might be a bit envious!!

Upvote 0

kisstheson

Contributor
Aug 6, 2005
✟14,639.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks everyone :)

it makes me feel better knowing there are others out there who cross themselves. :)

I want to do it, because I always do, and I've gotten so used to it... it just feels strange to pray and not make the sign of the cross.

what if you're with Protestant friends? I think in that case I'd still do it, as a witness to my faith.. and I don't see how they would be offended by the Cross?
Prots ashamed of the cross? make the sign and if they are offended by seeing the sign of the cross made then they have a problem with Jesus. :crossrc: IMO most would not be offended. You could always give them the come back, "what? are you offended by the cross of Christ?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

G-Com

Traditional Catholic
Nov 7, 2008
Trenton, OH
✟17,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I say grace and make the sign of the cross in public restaurants all the time. Never had an issue.

With all the bad stuff going on here I forgot completely about this, but one of the ladies who works at the local Subway said she thought it was "so cool" that I "prayed before eating."

I gently corrected her that it's called "saying grace."

Here's the one I use (although not always word-for-word because I tend to forget some of them :doh:)

Thank you, O Lord for Your gifts which I am about to receive from Your bounty. Through Christ, my Lord. Amen.

Upvote 0