Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was highly contested. I know that the sign of the cross, specifically in baptism, was a big issue for the Puritans. I think you will find it's one of those things that had a varied history; probably used more in the chapels royal, for example, and used not at all in some low parish churches?

Upvote 0

cseargent

Traditional Roman Catholic
Jan 20, 2011
Loch Sheldrake, NY
✟26,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
I have never been to an Anglican service where it was not used.

A quick question. Are you talking about the priest making the sign of the cross or the parishioners?

My parish is snake-belly low so I am the only person who crosses himself (forehead, lips and heart at the reading of the Gospel for example) and the only person who kneels for the Eucharistic prayer.

CF Lawrence

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A quick question. Are you talking about the priest making the sign of the cross or the parishioners?

My parish is snake-belly low so I am the only person who crosses himself (forehead, lips and heart at the reading of the Gospel for example) and the only person who kneels for the Eucharistic prayer.

CF Lawrence
The priest and sanctuary team always at different parts of the liturgy and roughly a third of the congregation for the Gospel and most of the congregation when taking communion.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Did Anglicans retain the sign of the cross at the reformation or was that a part of the Catholic revival? I am curious if anyone knows. The sign of the cross is rare at our 1928 service but fairly common at the Rite One service.
We don’t in our fellowship, other than in baptism.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I'm going to send you by PM the Holy Communion service according to the 1928 BCP as I was taught to celebrate it a few days ago with all of the crosses and genuflections marked in the text Everbecoming.
Friend can you send that to me as well?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Low churches rarely, if ever, use the sign of the cross. Broad church and High church will use it. I have never seen an evangelical use it.
I worship in an evangelical church so this has never been our tradition.

However, we do have church family that have come from different traditions, so you do see a few people cross themselves (principally during the final blessing, not all the way through as if a test to see if you are awake).

The minister will make a sign of the cross on the forehead of a bapstism candidate. If it’s a reaffirmation, the candidate will do it to themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Low churches rarely, if ever, use the sign of the cross. Broad church and High church will use it. I have never seen an evangelical use it.

This is interesting because a number of parishioners in my parish are influenced by local fundamentalism, but I still see a lot of crossing. Not so much at the low 1928 service, though.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It was highly contested. I know that the sign of the cross, specifically in baptism, was a big issue for the Puritans. I think you will find it's one of those things that had a varied history; probably used more in the chapels royal, for example, and used not at all in some low parish churches?

So are you saying the sign of the cross was controversial in Anglicanism?

Upvote 0