"The Shut Door" Prophecy/teaching (Early Adventist teaching, later retracted 8+ years after originally declared and dogmatized)

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In a nutshell, the teaching declared from visions (White and another congregant) was that those people who reject the doctrine of the (original) "Investigative Judgment" back around 1844 or could not be saved, they were irredeemably reprobate . The original Investigative Judgement was a teaching that Christ's work to atone sin was not completed at the cross, but that Christ needs to make Atonement for sin later in the "heavenly sanctuary". This version of the Investigative Judgement is much different than the one of today, which is closely linked to Sabbath Observances (Christians will be judged by God considering how they kept the 10 Commandments especially the one regarding the Sabbath). The doctrine of Investigative Judgement has evolved with time based on White's life experience and visions, the Church trademark distinctive of Sabbath worship and preaching on the Sabbath was not their original teaching but lifted after folks read a pamphlet from an English Sabbatarian group from the early 1600s who taught on it "convincingly" and became the model for Adventism's later approach and preaching on the topic today.

I was reminded by the second video that the start/beginning of the "Shut door" prophecy/ teaching was the narrow path vision that I linked below for people to hear if for themselves. I'm a newbie to this topic so there may be flaws in my understanding and presentation, but I do take comfort because in studying this and learning that this was the case for Ellen White herself! According to her own testimony later she seems to have not understand the original nature of her prophesy according to the official Adventist sources (The teaching was later altered based on her claims to this affect).

There is a point of logic that I wasn't clear on previously "The Door was Shut" for Salvation etc. because according to the original prophesy and how it was preached Jesus began his work of atonement in the heavenly sanctuary, and this basically meant that people were originally considered out of luck so to speak allegorically like the parable of the Wise and Foolish virgins at the wedding feast.

I was inspired to post the thread based on this extremely educational video from Answering Adventism on the exact subject.

I am not a Cessationist I do not believe there is an iron clad case to be made that the gift of prophecy and other supernatural signs and wonders etc. have passed away. In fact, I can point to good reasons and Bible verses why that is or should not be the case. However, this is also a far cry from supporting the claims of the many modern groups like many "prophets" of the modern charismatic movement and related movements, as well as people like Ellen White, Joseph Smith and so on. There still are many tests, as far as judging prophets and their prophecy before one should accept such things!

Besides this, I will also note based on the New Testament, when the scripture talks about the Church built "on the foundation of prophets and apostles" (Ephesians 2:20), on the prophet side of things it is more referring to the Old Testament prophets than folks like Agabus, saint John Divine, the itinerant ministers of the Didache etc. This is because the Old Testament prophets wrote "the Bible" that the Church used for the first 4 centuries! (The time it took to agree on the Common Received New Testament canon wee now have and enjoy today). Until then the Church was doing the saint Paul / Justin Martyr thing of preaching Christ from the Old Testament Types and Shadows and using books like the Septuagint and original (OT only) Peshitta/ Peshitto as their reference (besides the older one-off ancient scrolls and papyrus lying around.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Der Alte

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In a nutshell, the teaching declared from visions (White and another congregant) was that those people who reject the doctrine of the (original) "Investigative Judgment" back around 1844 or could not be saved, they were irredeemably reprobate . The original Investigative Judgement was a teaching that Christ's work to atone sin was not completed at the cross, but that Christ needs to make Atonement for sin later in the "heavenly sanctuary". This version of the Investigative Judgement is much different than the one of today, which is closely linked to Sabbath Observances (Christians will be judged by God considering how they kept the 10 Commandments especially the one regarding the Sabbath). The doctrine of Investigative Judgement has evolved with time based on White's life experience and visions, the Church trademark distinctive of Sabbath worship and preaching on the Sabbath was not their original teaching but lifted after folks read a pamphlet from an English Sabbatarian group from the early 1600s who taught on it "convincingly" and became the model for Adventism's later approach and preaching on the topic today.
I was trying to find that part in that post - that was actually true.

1. Ellen White never claimed to have a vision endorsing the Millerite shut door teaching that existed prior to the organization of the Seventh-day Adventist church in the 1860's. Somehow that significant detail does not show up in your OP.

So I am adding that note - for the sake of your readers.

2. There was no SDA denomination in 1844 and no "investigative judgement doctrine" among Millerites in 1844. (wikipedia appears to notice that detail)

3. The idea that the Bible Sabbath was never edited or repointed to week-day-1 is something that Seventh-day Baptists and other Bible Sabbath keeping groups had established very well prior to the Seventh-day Adventist church's organization in the 1860's

4. Wikipedia does get this detail -- so it is helpful pay attention to it --

". In the 1850s, J. N. Loughborough and Uriah Smith began to teach that a judgment had begun in 1844 when Christ entered the Most Holy Place. Subsequently, in 1857, James White (husband of Ellen G. White) wrote in the Review and Herald (now the Adventist Review) that an "investigative judgment" was taking place in heaven, in which the lives of professed believers would pass in review before God.[31] This is the first time that the phrase "investigative judgment" was used."​

Since you are not an SDA or one who studies the denomination - I don't blame you for not knowing key details regarding the "Investigative Judgment Doctrine" in Dan 7 and in Romans 2 and in 2 Cor 5:10. I would not really expect you to know its origin among Seventh-day Adventists or the difference between the Investigative Judgment - and the Millerite's idea of a "shut door" in 1844.

It is unclear to me whether you actually have an interest in either of those topics or if it is the Bible Sabbath you are interested in - since your OP briefly mentions a wide variety of topics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
A quick wiki search (Millerism) yielded this:
Post-Great Disappointment Millerism
The first major division of the Millerite groups who had not completely given up their belief in Christ’s Second Advent were those who accepted a shut-door theology. This belief was popularized by Joseph Turner and was based on that key Millerite passage: Matthew 25:1–13—the Parable of the Ten Virgins. The shut door mentioned in verses 11–12 was interpreted as the "close of probation". As Knight explains, "After the door was shut, there would be no additional salvation. The wise virgins (true believers) would be in the kingdom, while the foolish virgins and all others would be on the outside."​
The belief became a major issue upon the publication in January 1845, of an article by Apollos Hale and Turner in The Advent Mirror. This article tied the shut-door concept to October 22, 1844, teaching that the work of general salvation was finished at that date—Christ came spiritually as the Bridegroom, the wise virgins had entered into the wedding feast, and the door was then shut on all others. This first group is commonly known as either the "shut-door" or "spiritualizer" group.​
The widespread acceptance of the "shut-door" belief lost ground as doubts were raised about the significance of the October 22, 1844, date—if nothing happened on that date, then there could be no shut door. The opposition to these "shut-door" beliefs was led by Joshua Vaughan Himes and make up the second post-'Great Disappointment' group. This faction soon gained the upper hand, even converting Miller to their point of view. On March 20, 1845, the Morning Watch published a call by Himes for a conference. The Albany Conference was to have three purposes:​
  1. "to strengthen one another in the faith of the Advent at the door,"
  2. "to consult on the best mode of unitedly carrying forth our work, in comforting and preparing the Advent congregations among us for the speedy coming of the Lord," and
  3. "to unite our efforts, for the conversion and salvation of sinners."
Notably, the stated purpose of the conference was not to debate controversial doctrines. In fact the invitation was extended only to those Adventists who "still adhere to the original faith." The Shut-door Adventists and others who had developed new doctrines were therefore explicitly excluded. The biggest draw card was to be the presence of Miller. In fact Himes wrote to Miller on March 27, 1845, saying, "all depends upon your being there."​
Doctrine
The Millerites originally had adherents across denominational lines, especially from Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist and Campbellite churches, forming distinct denominations only after the Great Disappointment. They were united by a belief in the imminent return of Jesus Christ—the Second Advent. After the Great Disappointment of October 22, 1844, discussion of beliefs began to fragment the once united Millerites. Dunton points out that there were four main divisive doctrines being discussed by Millerites around the time of the Albany Conference:​
  1. Biblical prophecies relating to the Jews. The majority of Millerites believed that these prophecies would find a spiritual rather than a literal fulfilment; however the Age to Come Adventists led by Joseph Marsh believed in a literal, physical Jewish return to Palestine prior to the Christ's return.
  2. Conditional immortality was not discussed at the Albany Conference, but was a source of controversy soon after.
  3. The doctrine of the Sabbath was one of the schismatic issues debated at the Albany Conferences. The seventh-day Sabbath was rejected by delegates at the Albany Conference, who passed a resolution to have "no fellowship with Jewish fables and commandments of man, that turn from the truth." Sabbatarianism remained a minority position among the Millerites, but the doctrine received a significant boost when Thomas Preble published a tract on the topic. The tract, titled, A Tract, Showing that the Seventh Day Should Be Observed as the Sabbath, Instead of the First Day; "According to the Commandment", was widely read by Miller's followers.
  4. Following the disappointment of October 22, there was considerable discussion regarding the continuing possibility of the conversion of sinners. The doctrine that excluded this possibility became known as the shut-door. Miller himself believed this for a short time, though he later changed and repudiated it.
The Seventh-day Adventists church was established in 1863 some nineteen years later.

Investigative Judgment

Jesus used the parable of the wedding feast to teach the investigative judgment in Matthew 22.

Matthew 22:11-14 And when the king [Jesus] came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment [robes of righteousness; Revelation 19:8]: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen.​
Further evidenced by what Jesus said earlier in His ministry in Matthew 7.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Judgment would have to have already taken place.

Jesus executes judgment on authority given from God the father.

John 5:26-27 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.​

When does Jesus execute judgment? At the second coming.

Jude 14-15 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.​

If Jesus executes judgment at the second coming, the investigative judgment happens before the second coming.

What is described as happening at the second coming?

Revelation 19:21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.​
We know that the wicked are cast into the lake of fire after the thousand year reign (Revelation 20:5, 15), which is the second death, but those alive at the second coming will die the first death which is judgment executed. At the same time the saints will be gathered to be with Jesus (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)—both the resurrected and the living—again, judgment executed. Both show that judgment has taken place, otherwise no action one way or the other would be occuring.

Christ: High Priest in the Heavenly Sanctuary

Jesus is our High Priest and Mediator in the heavenly sanctuary.

Hebrews 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.​

Hebrews 8:1-2 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

Hebrews 8:4-5 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law: Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the [heavenly] pattern shewed to thee in the mount.​

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.​

Hebrews 9:23-24 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these [earthly priestly duties]; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands [earthly sanctuary], which are the figures of the true [heavenly sanctuary-->]; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.
Hebrews 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.​

The messages to the seven churches were given to John from Jesus in the heavenly sanctuary, as He was standing in the holy place.

Revelation 1:12-16 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; And in the midst of the seven candlesticks [the lampstand] one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle [priestly garment; Exodus 28]. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.​
This is a good segway into the symbolism of the sanctuary, which I will touch on.

Jesus in Matthew 24, talking about the abomination of desolation, says, "Stand in the holy place." Many version translate this as meaning "standing", but Strong's G2476 gives one of the meanings of stand as "to make firm, fix establish".

Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand)​
Stand in the holy place. The holy place in the sanctuary consists of shewbread (a symbol for the word of God), altar of incense (a symbol for prayer), seven candlesticks (a symbol for the churches holding the Light of the world, Christ, high for everyone to see). Stand in the holy place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting I'm getting the origins of the all the Shutdoor and Investigative Judgement coming from the back story aftermath of the Great Disappointment of William Miller. The folks that hung on from that became "the Little flock" that became the Adventists while most of the Millerites when their end of the world prediction prophesy did not come true went back to their various previous denominations. Miller's own theory was a day equals year theory concerning the prophecy of Daniels 70 weeks.

"The Great Disappointment in the Millerite movement was the reaction that followed Baptist preacher William Miller's proclamations that Jesus Christ would return to the Earth by 1844, which he called the Second Advent. His study of the Daniel 8 prophecy during the Second Great Awakening led him to conclude that Daniel's "cleansing of the sanctuary" was cleansing the world from sin when Christ would come, and he and many others prepared. When Jesus did not appear by October 22, 1844, Miller and his followers were disappointed.[1][2][3][4]"

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I thought of another instance where Jesus said judgment is pending.

Judgment Is Come

Jesus in the first angel's message (of the three angels' messages), the last call to worship, states this in Revelation 14:6-12:

And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.​
Immediately followed by a declaration of judgment.

And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.​
An emphasis on commandment keeping and keeping the faith of Jesus.

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.​

William Miller

William Miller died in 1849, long before the Seventh-day Adventist church was established. Of course the church wouldn't exist without the Millerite movement and the revival that brought so many scriptural truths to light. The Millerites were poring over scripture and discussing it with each other. Many amazing books were written by SDA pioneers that were scriptural expositions on the very subjects that were being studied and understood at the time; some 600 books and periodicals chock full of amazing insights into scripture.

Here is a list of some of the prominent pioneer authors, just so you understand the scope of what was going on back then.
  • John Nevins Andrews
  • Joseph Bates
  • Sylvester Bliss
  • Daniel T. Bordeau
  • George Ide Butler
  • Merritt E. Cornell
  • Roswell Fenner Cottrell
  • Owen Russell Lumis Crosier
  • Arthur Grosvenor Daniells
  • Charles Fitch
  • William Ellis Foy
  • Apollos Hale
  • Stephen Nelson Haskell
  • Alonzo Trevier Jones
  • Josiah Litch
  • John Norton Loughborough
  • Percy Tilson Magan
  • William Miller
  • David Paulson
  • Thomas Motherwell Preble
  • William Warren Prescott
  • Annie Rebekah Smith
  • Rebekah Smith
  • Uriah Smith
  • James M. Stephenson
  • George Storrs
  • Ellet Joseph Waggoner
  • Joseph Harvey Waggoner
  • Henry Dana Ward
  • James White
  • Ellen White
  • Nathanial M. Whiting
People like to point to Ellen White alone, but there were so many great minds behind the Seventh-day Adventist church and its beliefs. I'm sure this is not a complete list, but these were the most prominent contributors and authors, some of them writing many books and periodicals. There were debates going on back and forth between Christians through these writings concerning scripture and prophecy, much like we're doing today on the forum.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
William Miller

William Miller died in 1849, long before the Seventh-day Adventist church was established.
True
Interesting I'm getting the origins of the all the Shutdoor and Investigative Judgement coming from the back story aftermath of the Great Disappointment of William Miller.
Indeed Millerites had a very interesting history. They were members of all Christian denominations - they did not think to form their own church or denomination because in their view Christ was about to appear and would be there for all Christians in all denomination... sorting out whatever the doctrinal differences were when He appeared.
Miller's own theory was a day equals year theory concerning the prophecy of Daniels 70 weeks.
All Christians that admit that the Dan 9 prophetic timeline of 70 weeks - admit that it points to a 490 day (490 year) span of time that predicts the first coming of Christ (around 27 A.D.) - which only works as "day for year" just as all Protestant Reformers also agreed.

so Miller may have been very instructed by the point - yet today it is not exactly 'unknown' or "rejected" by Christians across a great many denominations.
"The Great Disappointment in the Millerite movement was the reaction that followed Baptist preacher William Miller's proclamations that Jesus Christ would return to the Earth by 1844, which he called the Second Advent. His study of the Daniel 8 prophecy during the Second Great Awakening led him to conclude that Daniel's "cleansing of the sanctuary" was cleansing the world from sin when Christ would come, and he and many others prepared. When Jesus did not appear by October 22, 1844, Miller and his followers were disappointed.[1][2][3][4]"
true. That was the Millerite view

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's fascinating how the Millerites had effects on American popular religion in general, esp. the immanent apocalypticism of so much of Evangelicalism. The premillenialism seems to be connected to that somehow, perhaps Miller and Adventism set the stage for easy acceptance of Darby's doctrine.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I was reminded by the second video that the start/beginning of the "Shut door" prophecy/ teaching was the narrow path vision that I linked below for people to hear if for themselves. I'm a newbie to this topic so there may be flaws in my understanding and presentation, but I do take comfort because in studying this and learning that this was the case for Ellen White herself! According to her own testimony later she seems to have not understand the original nature of her prophesy according to the official Adventist sources (The teaching was later altered based on her claims to this affect).

There is a point of logic that I wasn't clear on previously "The Door was Shut" for Salvation etc. because according to the original prophesy and how it was preached Jesus began his work of atonement in the heavenly sanctuary, and this basically meant that people were originally considered out of luck so to speak allegorically like the parable of the Wise and Foolish virgins at the wedding feast.

I was inspired to post the thread based on this extremely educational video from Answering Adventism on the exact subject.

I am not a Cessationist I do not believe there is an iron clad case to be made that the gift of prophecy and other supernatural signs and wonders etc. have passed away. In fact, I can point to good reasons and Bible verses why that is or should not be the case. However, this is also a far cry from supporting the claims of the many modern groups like many "prophets" of the modern charismatic movement and related movements, as well as people like Ellen White, Joseph Smith and so on. There still are many tests, as far as judging prophets and their prophecy before one should accept such things!

Besides this, I will also note based on the New Testament, when the scripture talks about the Church built "on the foundation of prophets and apostles" (Ephesians 2:20), on the prophet side of things it is more referring to the Old Testament prophets than folks like Agabus, saint John Divine, the itinerant ministers of the Didache etc. This is because the Old Testament prophets wrote "the Bible" that the Church used for the first 4 centuries! (The time it took to agree on the Common Received New Testament canon wee now have and enjoy today). Until then the Church was doing the saint Paul / Justin Martyr thing of preaching Christ from the Old Testament Types and Shadows and using books like the Septuagint and original (OT only) Peshitta/ Peshitto as their reference (besides the older one-off ancient scrolls and papyrus lying around.
Ellen White always referred back to the Word of God as the authority.

Ellen White has numerous writings .... often people take them out of context (like sometimes we tend to do with His Word) ..... and/or measure them against pre-formed beliefs/teachings ....

She made clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Num. 12:6; 2 Chron. 20:20; Amos 3:7; Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10; 22:8, 9.)

We also know .... judgement happens before His return .... an in depth study of the sanctuary is amazing .... really opens ones eyes.

The 7th Day Adventists are really the only ones who teach it throughly ....

This 32 hour study (yeah 32 hours) is well worth it .... a game changer of understanding about the atonement work of our savior.

HIs Way in the Sanctuary

Be blessed.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ellen White always referred back to the Word of God as the authority.

Ellen White has numerous writings .... often people take them out of context (like sometimes we tend to do with His Word) ..... and/or measure them against pre-formed beliefs/teachings ....

She made clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Num. 12:6; 2 Chron. 20:20; Amos 3:7; Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10; 22:8, 9.)

We also know .... judgement happens before His return .... an in depth study of the sanctuary is amazing .... really opens ones eyes.

The 7th Day Adventists are really the only ones who teach it throughly ....

This 32 hour study (yeah 32 hours) is well worth it .... a game changer of understanding about the atonement work of our savior.

HIs Way in the Sanctuary

Be blessed.
Thanks for posting the link. I am in the middle of the Matthew 24 series by Pastor Bohr

Another eye opener, and will watch the sanctuary one after. I love sanctuary teachings.

Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's fascinating how the Millerites had effects on American popular religion in general, esp. the immanent apocalypticism of so much of Evangelicalism. The premillenialism seems to be connected to that somehow, perhaps Miller and Adventism set the stage for easy acceptance of Darby's doctrine.
John Nelson Darby invented the false doctrine of the Secret Rapture

SDA does not teach a secret rapture.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
John Nelson Darby invented the false doctrine of the Secret Rapture

SDA does not teach a secret rapture.

I never said they did. The Millerite/Adventist movement shifted the emphasis in Christian eschatology from hope for future redemption of the world, to immanent expectation that began to take on soteriological or ecclessial qualities with other groups.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never said they did. The Millerite/Adventist movement shifted the emphasis in Christian eschatology from hope for future redemption of the world, to immanent expectation that began to take on soteriological or ecclesial qualities with other groups.

It (the idea of secret rapture) actually started with the jesuits .... and Darby picked up that ball and ran with it.

Manuel Lacunza - Wikipedia

Lacunza was Jesuit priest

also through Francisco Ribera (1537–1591) who was also a Jesuit

the idea started before Darby.

Upvote 0