Is Watching Supernatural a Sin? Can Christians Watch It?

Daphnia

Feb 4, 2012
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You mean the show Supernatural with Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki?
I love this show, but I have not noticed any of what you mentioned.
I guess Supernatural in general is not exactly Christian-supporting, take the whole Angels and God thing for example. How Dean questions the whereabouts of God, and how even Castiel rebelled against Him? There are a many blasphemous things in Supernatural, I think Eric Kripke is somewhat against Christianity. If you like the show, you just have to be able to see it only as a form of entertainment, and not take the whole thing seriously. (I heard someone say, "the show has taught me so much about angels and God." I'm not kidding)

Upvote 0

whitelamb

Feb 4, 2012
toronto
✟7,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thats a good point you make about seeing it as entertainment only and not taking it serious,because if your beliefs are stong enough a tv show shouldn't be able to destroy your faith,but so many people are living without faith ,like the person whose "learned" so much about angels and god ,i think thats where i have the problem of the anti-Christian message because alot of people do take it serious and it's not just the small screen look at whats aimed at our youth,the video games, movies out of hollywood,todays music(rap, hip-hop) you know this is having an effect on people because look at the values society hold today.
maybe i'm too sensitive i don't know,but it would be nice to be able to watch a movie or turn on the tv without feeling like my beliefs and values are being attacked

Upvote 0

Daphnia

Feb 4, 2012
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Warning: this is going out of topic of Supernatural.

I agree with you, what we see in the media also concerns me. If I had a child, I can imagine being scared of what they will become, seeing that music nowadays are all about sex, partying, glamour, money, and so on. and that is what is considered in style. But I have a friend with 15 and 13-year-old daughters. I'm pretty close to them, they sometimes spend the night at my place. I was pretty concerned about the 15-year-old, despite being raised according to Christian values, teenagers are still very easily influenced by their friends, so I was kinda scared of how she would turn up. But I was happy when she invited me to her baptism a couple of weeks ago. She has made the commitment to follow Jesus. Although I didn't raise her, I was happy for her. So I guess while it may be hard for the young people not to be influenced by what the media offers today, it is not impossible. it depends on how they are raised, and pretty much on who they spend their time with. The person's character also plays a role, of course.

However, if it bothers you, maybe steering clear from movies/shows with obvious against-Christianity values would be better. I mean, Supernatural is clear that it's about supernatural beings, or true blood, for example, I'd also steer clear of that.

Upvote 0

TheProject

If it lives in water, I don't eat it...
Oct 11, 2011
GA
✟25,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love Supernatural, but never let it make me question my Faith. I don't think it is anit-Christian or anti-anything for that matter. So much of the mythology that took place during the Lucifer story arc doesn't seem to fall under any kind of Scripture. I would guess that it was just loosely researched, or researched and remolded to work as they wanted it to for the show. I see it only as entertainment.

Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
if anyone's watched this you'll notice (as i did) that the only cemeteries that get desecrated are Christian ,and if a hero gets killed they get buried in a jewish one,
do you think this is a anti-Christian message ?

Much like the rock n roll industry only attacks Christianity and no other religion, and all the lyrics and band names seem to gravitate towards antichristian slogans and icons and references

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My wife really likes this show. I find it entertaining for the most part. I was going to say, though, that it seems like this show has something against angels. I'm not sure who comes off as more evil - the demons/Lucifer or the angels/God. The angels/God are deliberately allowing the apocalypse and encouraged it to happen, then they blamed Sam for it. The only conclusion I could come away with was that the writers don't really like angels much.

Upvote 0

TheProject

Oct 11, 2011
GA
✟25,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife really likes this show. I find it entertaining for the most part. I was going to say, though, that it seems like this show has something against angels. I'm not sure who comes off as more evil - the demons/Lucifer or the angels/God. The angels/God are deliberately allowing the apocalypse and encouraged it to happen, then they blamed Sam for it. The only conclusion I could come away with was that the writers don't really like angels much.

My understanding of that plot line was that it was just the angels that were working to bring about the apocalypse which would then lead to paradise. I don't know if the writers were trying to portray angels that way or if they were trying to keep the Sam & Dean versus overwhelming odds feel of the show. Really, how suspenseful would it have been had the angels in the show been on their side the whole time?

Upvote 0

TheProject

Oct 11, 2011
GA
✟25,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More and more I think the angels wanted the opportunity to kill Lucifer. God is staying out of things and left them in charge. My issue is that they don't care how many people die on the way, in horrible ways in many cases.

No kidding. I'm not defending the angels in the show, just throwing out possibilities for why the writers might have portrayed them as they did.

We did get Castiel out of it though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We are on season 5, episode 18. We just started watching the show a couple weeks ago and it has gotten a lot better as it has gone on. I watch it for the parts that make me laugh mostly and I'm usually playing games on my laptop while she watches it. More and more I realize that I'm seeing the TV instead of my game.

Thanks for the heads up on that line. I'm going to listen for that.

Upvote 0

TheProject

Oct 11, 2011
GA
✟25,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are on season 5, episode 18. We just started watching the show a couple weeks ago and it has gotten a lot better as it has gone on. I watch it for the parts that make me laugh mostly and I'm usually playing games on my laptop while she watches it. More and more I realize that I'm seeing the TV instead of my game.

Thanks for the heads up on that line. I'm going to listen for that.

Uh-oh...I thought you guys were current. I'm glad I didn't post any giant story spoilers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katystar

Feb 23, 2012
✟7,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I love Supernatural, but never let it make me question my Faith. I don't think it is anit-Christian or anti-anything for that matter. So much of the mythology that took place during the Lucifer story arc doesn't seem to fall under any kind of Scripture. I would guess that it was just loosely researched, or researched and remolded to work as they wanted it to for the show. I see it only as entertainment.

I agree with you on this one. I am a fan but it was more for just entertainment. I've never thought of there being a meaning behind it. Just pure action entertainment. :)

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally, I'm a major fan of Supernatural! I just started watching about a week or two ago on Netflix and I'm already working through season 6.

As far as Kripke being anti-Christian, he really isn't. To quote him in an interview:

If I had a worldview, and I don't know if I do, but if I did, it's one that's intensely humanistic. [That worldview] is that the only thing that matters is family and personal connection, and that's the only thing that gives life meaning. Religion and gods and beliefs -- for me, it all comes down to your brother. And your brother might be the brother in your family, or it might be the guy next to you in the foxhole, it's about human connections.

Eric Kripke - Super-wiki

Upvote 0

TimBohemia

May 20, 2016
Bohemia, NY
✟15,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, I watch this show myself and like it a lot - especially for the great acting. But - "proceed with caution." I think there's something else that should be considered, and it concerns me that it's not being noticed:
The charity work that the main cast members are doing is wonderful. It's absolutely fantastic, and I applaud them for it and respect them for it. But:
Notice something: This is a "religious" show - "about God." The center of this charitable work is the theme of the show itself. And yet - God and Christ are very deliberately set aside and ignored for 100% of that work. They're doing wonderful, positive, good work - and providing a *very* welcoming, supportive, loving environment - while seeming to be deliberately saying,
"God and Christ are *NOT* necessary in order to do those positive things."
That, to me, seems troubling; and I think it should give one pause; especially when associated with a show that - let's face it - is deliberately chock-full of heresies.
All I'm saying is, don't be naïve; and don't be so sure that these people aren't a bit "lost."

Upvote 0

Energy_solutions

Mar 22, 2018
Houston
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
if anyone's watched this you'll notice (as i did) that the only cemeteries that get desecrated are Christian ,and if a hero gets killed they get buried in a jewish one,
do you think this is a anti-Christian message ?

Yes. I also noticed that Christ is never even mentioned. Although I keep telling myself this is just a story I cant help but feel like this is a jewish sacrilege.

Upvote 0