United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought I might make a thread on the 7 bowls/vials shown in Revelation
There appears to be some confusion on where the words should be "bowls" or "vials.
And where would those be showning in the OT.

BIBLICAL ANTHROPOLOGY: The Seven Bowls of Revelation 16

Bowls were used by priests to bless and to curse. The curse (or imprecatory prayer) was inscribed inside the bowl and the one invoking the curse (offering the prayer) poured water from that bowl on the person, or on an effigy of the person, or on their property. The worst possible curse involved seven bowls or a seven-fold pouring. Cursing bowls, such as the one shown, date to 3000 B.C. and have been found in Egypt.

vials or bowls in Rev
One such Bible critic, names David G. says: “The King James Version says that the angels had seven golden VIALS full of the wrath of God. THE WORD VIALS IS A REALLY POOR TRANSLATION. They are really “Shallow, pan-like, golden bowls, or censers, such as were used in the temple to hold the fire when incense was burned.”
Another Christian site comments: And golden vials - ”The word "vial" with us, denoting a small slender bottle with a narrow neck, evidently DOES NOT EXPRESS THE IDEA HERE. The article here referred to was used for offering incense, and MUST HAVE BEEN a vessel with a large open mouth. The word "bowl" or "goblet" would better express the idea,

5357. phiale of uncertain affinity;
Strong's Concordance
phialé: a (shallow) bowl
Definition: a (shallow) bowl
Usage: a shallow and flat bowl.
φιάλη, φιαλης, ἡ, from Homer down, the Sept. for מִזְרָק, a broad, shallow bowl, deep saucer (Dict. of Antiq. under the word Patera; B. D. American edition under the word, Vial): Revelation 5:8; Revelation 15:7; Revelation 16:1-4, 8, 10, 12, 17; Revelation 17:1; Revelation 21:9.
============================================

Revelation 15
7 And one out of the four living-ones gives to the seven Messengers seven Golden Bowls being replete of the fury of the God, the One living into the ages of the ages.
8 And when it got the Scroll, the four living-ones and the twenty four Elders fall in sight of the Lambkin, each having a harp<2788>, and Golden Bowls being replete <1073> of incenses<2368>, which are being the prayers of the Saints/Holy ones.

Revelation 17:1
And came one out of the seven Messengers of the ones having the seven Bowls and He speaks with me saying
"hither! I shall be showing to thee the judgement of the great harlot, the one sitting upon many waters

Revelation 21:9
And came one out of the seven Messengers of the ones having the seven bowls being replete of the seven last blows<4127>. And He speaks with me saying "Hither! I shall be showing to thee the Bride, the Wife<1135> of the Lambkin.

THE POURING OUT OF THE BOWLS

......................................REVELATION 16
1 And I hear a great sound/voice out of the Sanctuary<3485> saying to the seven Messengers "be going!<5217> and be pouring out the seven Bowls of the fury of the God into the land.

2 And came forth the First and pours out His Bowl into the land and became an evil sore<1668> and wicked<4190> upon the men, those having the mark<5480> of the Beast and those worshiping to the image of It.
3 And the Second one pours out His Bowl into the sea and it became blood as of dead one and every soul living died, those in the sea
4 And the Third pours out His Bowl into the rivers<4215> and the springs<4077> of the waters <5204>and it became blood.
5 And I hear the Messenger of the waters saying "just Yhou are, the One being and the one was, the Pious One, that these Thou judge
6 That bloods of Saints and Prophets they pour out<1632> and blood thou give to them to be drinking which deserving they are being."
7 And I hear of the Altar saying "yea Lord the God the Almighty, true and just the judgeings of Thee.
8 And the fourth Messenger pours out His Bowl upon the sun and was given Him to scorch<2739> the men in fire.
9 And the men are scorched great and they blaspheme<987> the Name of the God the One having the authority upon these blows<4127> and not the repent/reforum <3340> to give glory to Him.
10 And the Fifth pours out His Bowl upon the throne of the Beast and became the Kingdom of it having been darkened and they gnawed<3145> their tongues out of the misery<4192>
11 And they blaspheme the God of the heaven out of their miseries and out of their sores and not they repent/reform out of their works.
12 And the Sixth pours out His Bowl on the river, the great Euphrates and is dried<3583> the water of it that may be being made ready of the Kings from east/rising of sun<395><2246>.
13 And I saw out of the mouth of the Dragon and out of the mouth of the Beast and out of the mouth of the False Prophet three unclean<169> spirits as if frogs.
14 For they are being spirits of demons doing signs which are going out upon the kings of the whole inhabited land to be together leading <4863> them into the Battle of the great Day of the God the Almighty.
15 Behold! I am coming<2064> as a thief<2812>.
Happy/blessed the one watching<1127> and keeping<5083> his garments<2240> that no naked he may be walking about<4043> and they may be observing the indecency<808> of him.
16 And they together led them into the place, the being called to Hebrew Armageddon.
17 And the seventh Messenger pours out His Bowl upon the air<109>
and came out a great voice out of the Sanctuary of the God saying "it has become<1096>!"

sidebar-preterism.jpg

18 And there become lightnings and sounds/voice and thunders and a great earthquake became such as not became from of which men became upon the land.
19 And became the great City into three parts and the cities of the Nations fall and Babylon the Great is remembered<3415> in view of the God to give to Her the drinkcup<4221> of the wine of the fury of the wrath of Him
20 And every island fled and mountains not were found.
21 And great hail<5454> as a talent weight<5006> is descending out of the heaven upon the men and they blaspheme the God out of the blow<4167> of the hail, that great is being the blow of it, tremendous<4970>!

Last edited:

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Prologue of the 7 Seals

Revelation 5:
1 And I saw upon the right hand of Him who is sitting upon the throne a scroll, written within and on the back, sealed with seven seals; 2 and I saw a strong messenger crying with a great voice, ‘Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose the seals of it?’ 3 and no one was able in the heaven, nor upon the earth, nor under the earth, to open the scroll, nor to behold it. 4 And I was weeping much, because no one was found worthy to open and to read the scroll, nor to behold it,

5 and one of the elders saith to me, ‘Weep not, behold! overcome did the Lion, who is of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, to open the Scroll, and to loose the seven Seals of it;
6 and I saw, and behold! in the midst of the throne, and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, a Lamb hath stood as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the Seven Spirits of God, which are sent to all the earth,
7 and he came and took the scroll out of the right hand of Him who is sitting upon the throne. 8 And when he took the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, having each one harps and golden vials full of perfumes, which are the prayers of the saints, 9 and they sing a new song, saying, ‘Worthy art thou to take the scroll, and to open the seals of it, because thou wast slain, and didst redeem us to God in thy blood, out of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation, 10 and didst make us to our God kings and priests, and we shall reign upon the earth.’

11 And I saw, and I heard the voice of many messengers round the throne, and the living creatures, and the elders — and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands — 12 saying with a great voice, ‘Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive the power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing!’ 13 and every creature that is in the heaven, and in the earth, and under the earth, and the things that are upon the sea, and the all things in them, heard I saying, ‘To Him who is sitting upon the throne, and to the Lamb, [is] the blessing, and the honour, and the glory, and the might — to the ages of the ages!’ 14 and the four living creatures said, ‘Amen!’ and the twenty-four elders fell down and they bow before Him who is living to the ages of the ages.
=====================================

The First Seal: Rider on a White Horse

1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures saying, as it were a voice of thunder, ‘Come and behold!’ 2 and I saw and behold! a white horse, and he who is sitting upon it is having a bow, and there was given to him a crown, and he went forth overcoming, and that he may overcome.

The Second Seal: War

3And when he opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature saying, ‘Come and behold!’ 4 and there went forth another horse — red, and to him who is sitting upon it, there was given to him to take the peace from the land, and that one another they may slay, and there was given to him a great sword.

The Third Seal: Famine

5 And when he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature saying, ‘Come and behold!’ and I saw, and lo, a black horse, and he who is sitting upon it is having a balance/yoke in his hand, 6 and I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, ‘A measure of wheat for a denary, and three measures of barley for a denary,’ and ‘The oil and the wine thou mayest not injure.’

The Fourth Seal: Death

7 And when he opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, ‘Come and behold!’ 8 and I saw and behold! a pale horse, and he who is sitting upon him — his name is Death, and Hades doth follow with him, and there was given to them authority to kill, (over the fourth part of the land,) with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and by the beasts of the land.

The Fifth Seal: Martyrs under the Altar

9 And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony that they held, 10 and they were crying with a great voice, saying, ‘Till when, O Master, the Holy and the True, dost Thou not judge and take vengeance of our blood from those dwelling upon the land?’ 11 and there was given to each one white robes, and it was said to them that they may rest themselves yet a little time, till may be fulfilled also their fellow-servants and their brethren, who are about to be killed — even as they.

The Sixth Seal: Terror

12 And I saw when he opened the sixth seal, and lo, a great earthquake came, and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood, 13 and the stars of the heaven fell to the earth — as a fig-tree doth cast her winter figs, by a great wind being shaken — 14 and heaven departed as a scroll rolled up, and every mountain and island — out of their places they were moved; 15 and the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich, and the chiefs of thousands, and the mighty, and every servant, and every freeman, hid themselves in the dens, and in the rocks of the mountains, 16 and they say to the mountains and to the rocks, ‘Fall upon us, and hide us from the face of Him who is sitting upon the throne, and from the anger of the Lamb,’ 17 because come did the great day of His wrath and who is able to stand?

The Seventh Seal: Silence in heaven half hour

1 And when he openeth the seventh seal, there came silence in the heaven about half-an-hour,
2 and I saw the seven messengers who before God have stood, and there were given to them seven trumpets,
3 and another messenger did come, and he stood at the altar, having a golden censer, and there was given to him much perfume, that he may give [it] to the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar that [is] before the throne, 4 and go up did the smoke of the perfumes to the prayers of the saints out of the hand of the messenger, before God; 5 and the messenger took the censer, and did fill it out of the fire of the altar, and did cast [it] to the earth, and there came voices, and thunders, and lightnings, and an earthquake.

=============================================
Revelation 8:
2 And I saw the seven Messengers which stood before God, and to Them were given seven trumpets.
6 And the seven Messengers having the seven trumpets make ready Themselves that They should be trumpeting<4537>.

The First Four Trumpets

7 And the first-One trumpets, and became hail and fire having been mixed in blood and was cast into the land.

And the third of the land was burned-up<2618>
and the third of the trees was burned-up
and every green grass was burned-up.

8 And the second Messenger trumpets, and as a great Mountain to fire burning was cast into the sea and became the third of the sea blood.

9 And died the third of the creatures in the sea, those having a soul and the third of the ships were destroyed<1311

10 And the third Messenger trumpets

and a great burning Star falls out of the heaven, as a torch
and falls on the third of the rivers and upon the springs<4077> of the waters.
11 And the name of the Star is being said the wormwood<894> and became the third of the waters into wormwood.mAnd many of the humans died out of the waters that were made bitter.

12 And the fourth Messenger trumpets
and was eclipsed/struck the third of the sun and the third of the moon and the third of the stars that may be being darkened the third of them
and the third of the day not may be appearing, and the night likewise.
==========
13 And I saw and I hear an eagle<105> flying in mid heaven, saying to a great voice,
"Woe! Woe! Woe! those dwelling on the land out of rest of soundings of the trumpet of the three Messengers of the being about to trumpeting<4534>"

====================
Revelation 9:
1 And the fifth Messenger trumpets and I saw a star out of the heaven having fallen into the land and was given to him the key of the well of the abyss.

2 and he opens up the well of the abyss and ascended smoke from out of the well as smoke of a large furnace and is darkened the sun and the air out of the smoke of the well.

13 And the sixth Messenger trumpets and I hear one voice/sound out of the horns of the Golden Altar of the one before the God.

Revelation 11:15
And the seventh Messenger trumpets and became great voices/sounds in the heaven saying "became the Kingdom of the world of the Lord of us and of the Christ of Him and He shall be reigning into the ages of the Ages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I always thought the vials of wrath were an image of those great vials of boiling oil they would pour on those who attacked a stronghold. It's used mostly in Rev. 16 and the only thing I'm getting from the commentary is the word is used to speak of the rapidity of the wrath being poured out. It's rather curious, the only time it is not used directly in connection with the vials of wrath poured out in Rev. 16, it's used to speak of the prayers of the saints:

And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials (φιάλη phialē) full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. (Rev. 5:8)
I can't help but wonder if there is a connection.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

HeartenedHeart

Apr 2, 2019
Pacific
Visit site
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am interested in the connections of Rev. 13:11-18, 14:9,11, 15:1-2, 16:2,10 in relationship to the 7 last plagues, and thus would ask, concerning the "beast", "his image", "his mark", and "the number of his name", and so also "the seat of the beast" (of Rev. 13:1-2), and so my first question is in Rev. 12, what does the symbol of the Great Red Dragon represent, along with its seven heads and ten horns?

I believe Revelation is drawing from Daniel here.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I always thought the vials of wrath were an image of those great vials of boiling oil they would pour on those who attacked a stronghold. It's used mostly in Rev. 16 and the only thing I'm getting from the commentary is the word is used to speak of the rapidity of the wrath being poured out. It's rather curious, the only time it is not used directly in connection with the vials of wrath poured out in Rev. 16, it's used to speak of the prayers of the saints:

And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials (φιάλη phialē) full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. (Rev. 5:8)
I can't help but wonder if there is a connection.

Grace and peace,
Mark
Thank and that is some important points you bring up.
Revelation uses the phrase "in swiftness".

#5034 is used in only 1 verse of the Gospels and Epistles.............interesting....

Luk 18:8
“I tell you that He will avenge them speedily<5034>. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

Rom 16:20
And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet in swiftness<5034>. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Revelation 1:1
An-un-veiling of Jesus Christ, which gives to Him, the GOD, to show to the bond-servants of Him, which-things is binding to be becoming In/en <1722> Swiftness/tacei <5034>.
Revelation 1:3
Blessed/happy the one reading and the ones hearing the words of the Prophecy and keepings in it having been written,
That the Time is nigh<1451>.

Revelation 22:6

And said to me: "These the Words Faithful and True. And Lord, the GOD of the spirits of the holy Prophets commissions the messenger of Him to show to the bond-servents of Him which-things is binding to be becoming In/en <1722> Swiftness/tacei <5034>.
Revelation 22:10
And he is saying to me "no thou should be sealing the Words of the Prophecy of the Scroll, this.
That the Time/Season is nigh<1451>

Upvote 0