U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's interesting that some people believe that Jesus died for our sins and that they only have to call upon the name of the Lord to be saved. (Roman 10:13) But what about all the other things Jesus and the apostles preach about concerning salvation. Some people don't believe that they need to get baptize in the name of Jesus, even though Jesus says, "And he said unto them, go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15-16).
But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him." (Luke 7:29-30).

Rejecting God's counsel will get you eternal life in the burning flames (lake of fire) with the scribes and Pharisees. "For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, Ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5: 20).

The Lake of Fire is not a fictional place. Some people believe that the Lake of Fire is located somewhere beneath the surface of the earth. Some also believe that if you happen to be placed in the Lake of Fire you will not burn forever. There are several things we must find out about the Lake of Fire. The first thing we must find out is why you will be placed in the Lake of Fire? Where it will be located? When will it be in existence? How can you burn forever and not be consumed? The scripture will answer all these question, as long as you don't lean on you own understanding and let the Bible speak for itself.

Pay close attention to what the God of Israel is saying here in Matthew. You will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven if you teach men that the law is no more. If you are the least in the kingdom you will be in the Lake of Fire. It's very clear that law is still in effect, last time I checked the heavens and the earth still exist.

Jesus says in Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

In Ezekiel Jesus informs you how a man will die. If he breaks the law and does not repent (baptized in the name of Jesus and be circumcised) he will die.

Ezekiel 18:10 If he beget a son that is a robber, a shedder of blood, and that doeth the like to any one of these things, 11 And that doeth not any of those duties, but even hath eaten upon the mountains, and defiled his neighbor's wife, 12 Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination, 13 Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: shall he then live? he shall not live: he hath done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon him. 20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. The soul that sinneth it shall die. What is the biblical definition of sin? I John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Now we see what sin is. So what death is the LORD talking about here?

Let's take a look at something Jesus says in Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. 11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

He is talking about the second death. What is the second death?

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always thought the second death was the final judgement that occurs when the Anti-Christ, Satan, and all of their followers are cast into the lake of fire for eternity just before the new heaven and new earth are made complete.

Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's interesting that some people believe that Jesus died for our sins and that they only have to call upon the name of the Lord to be saved. (Roman 10:13) But what about all the other things Jesus and the apostles preach about concerning salvation. Some people don't believe that they need to get baptize in the name of Jesus, even though Jesus says, "And he said unto them, go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15-16).
But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him." (Luke 7:29-30).

Rejecting God's counsel will get you eternal life in the burning flames (lake of fire) with the scribes and Pharisees. "For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, Ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5: 20).

The Lake of Fire is not a fictional place. Some people believe that the Lake of Fire is located somewhere beneath the surface of the earth. Some also believe that if you happen to be placed in the Lake of Fire you will not burn forever. There are several things we must find out about the Lake of Fire. The first thing we must find out is why you will be placed in the Lake of Fire? Where it will be located? When will it be in existence? How can you burn forever and not be consumed? The scripture will answer all these question, as long as you don't lean on you own understanding and let the Bible speak for itself.

Pay close attention to what the God of Israel is saying here in Matthew. You will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven if you teach men that the law is no more. If you are the least in the kingdom you will be in the Lake of Fire. It's very clear that law is still in effect, last time I checked the heavens and the earth still exist.

Jesus says in Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

In Ezekiel Jesus informs you how a man will die. If he breaks the law and does not repent (baptized in the name of Jesus and be circumcised) he will die.

Ezekiel 18:10 If he beget a son that is a robber, a shedder of blood, and that doeth the like to any one of these things, 11 And that doeth not any of those duties, but even hath eaten upon the mountains, and defiled his neighbor's wife, 12 Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination, 13 Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: shall he then live? he shall not live: he hath done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon him. 20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. The soul that sinneth it shall die. What is the biblical definition of sin? I John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Let's take a look at something Jesus says in Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. 11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Matthew 8:21-22
21And another of his disciples said unto him, LORD, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
22But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

This gives us a big clue.
Who is doing the burying?
Who is being buried?

Another clue:

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

In order to be born again, we must already be dead. No?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting that some people believe that Jesus died for our sins and that they only have to call upon the name of the Lord to be saved. (Roman 10:13)
Calling upon the name of the Lord is a turn of phrase, but it's not meant to be taken super-literally as though all that a person has to do is say "Save me, Jesus" and his salvation is assured.

It's closer to saying that, in order to be saved, a person has to turn to Jesus (which most of us would understand as meaning to become a disciple, with all that that suggests). Indeed, the idea of mouthing some words being sufficient for one's salvation is expressly denounced elsewhere in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
21And another of his disciples said unto him, LORD, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

Who is being buried?

Another clue:

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

No. Jesus didn't tell Nicodemus to kill himself, nor is there anyplace that I know of in Scripture where it says only the dead can be spiritually born. John 3:8, "The wind blows wherever it will, and you hear the sound it makes, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.” Clearly the people referred to are still living.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
only have to call upon the name of the Lord to be saved.

So the repentant thief was not saved because he was not baptised?

I agree that baptism is important, but that it is the decided as to who is actually saved is false.
We do not determine who is or is not a Christian.
We can make judgements based on how a person acts, but we cannot categorically say because they didn't do this or that they are not a Christian.

We have to leave that with God.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The second death is eternal separation from God.

Reactions: William J
Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always thought the second death was the final judgement that occurs when the Anti-Christ, Satan, and all of their followers are cast into the lake of fire for eternity just before the new heaven and new earth are made complete.

Well, actually the anti-Christ and his General beat Satan in the lake of fire. Let's go to Revelation 19: 19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

The final Judgement is after the thousand years with Jesus.

Let's go into Revelation 20: 4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

After a thousand years Satan shall be loose, then cast in the lake of fire as well. 7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8and shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

But let's take a look at the final Judgement in..... verse

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So the repentant thief was not saved because he was not baptised?

I agree that baptism is important, but that it is the decided as to who is actually saved is false.
We do not determine who is or is not a Christian.
We can make judgements based on how a person acts, but we cannot categorically say because they didn't do this or that they are not a Christian.

We have to leave that with God.

I just focus on the Bible and what the Bible can prove, no one is making Judgement, just reading the book. We take the Bible, which is the word of God for what it says and leave at that. This is just fellowshipping. So post scriptures and verses and let's fellowship!

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Who is being buried?

Another clue:

You started out making a interesting point, when Jesus says let the Dead bury their Dead. But being born again is a change in the body according to John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Notice verse 3, except a man is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. We have just learned something here. If you are not born again you can not see the kingdom of God. As we go further you will understand this. Remember there is a time for everything.

Nicodemus asked a very good question. Take a look at the next set of verses.

John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

In verse 5, born of the water in this case is the Word of God. Notice the Lord mentions the kingdom of God again, but He adds a little more information. He says "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. When he mentions spirit He means exactly that. Watch how the Lord gives something physical to describe exactly what He means.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Notice He made a difference between flesh and spirit. Ask yourself that question, was you born flesh or spirit?

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Notice He compared the wind to a spirit. Can you see the wind? No! We have seen things being blown around by the wind, but we have never seen the wind. If you are born of the spirit you are like the wind. This is when you are truly born again, when you are born of the spirit

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Calling upon the name of the Lord is a turn of phrase, but it's not meant to be taken super-literally as though all that a person has to do is say "Save me, Jesus" and his salvation is assured.

It's closer to saying that, in order to be saved, a person has to turn to Jesus (which most of us would understand as meaning to become a disciple, with all that that suggests). Indeed, the idea of mouthing some words being sufficient for one's salvation is expressly denounced elsewhere in the New Testament.

I agree with you and I also witness a person believing thats all they have to do, many years before I knew the truth.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's take a look in Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

The second death is being cast into the Lake of Fire. If you are not in the book of life you will be cast into the Lake of Fire. Now that we have established how to get into the Lake of Fire. Where will the Lake of Fire be located? First of all we must find out where will be GOD'S kingdom (kingdom of heaven). If you are familiar with the GODHEAD you know there are 2 members in it (FATHER and SON). One member came down, to give man back what Adam took away and that was access to the Tree of Life.

We have 2 kingdoms, both are subject to the Father. After the first resurrection (resurrection of the just) Jesus and the Saints will rule the earth for one thousand years. After the thousand years the great white throne judgment will take place. Flesh and blood will be still walking upon the earth during the thousand years. When the Father's kingdom come down there will be no flesh and blood upon the earth. Where will the Son's kingdom be located?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just focus on the Bible and what the Bible can prove, no one is making Judgement, just reading the book. We take the Bible, which is the word of God for what it says and leave at that. This is just fellowshipping. So post scriptures and verses and let's fellowship!

In the selection of scripture and your comments you are making a judgement.

What comes across very strongly in your opening post is that people need to be baptised in order to be saved.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the selection of scripture and your comments you are making a judgement.

What comes across very strongly in your opening post is that people need to be baptised in order to be saved.

Quite honestly I consider it disingenuous when someone makes the disclaimer that they're only posting what's in the Bible, when they are obviously trying to teach or claim something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sam Saved by Grace

All of salvation is God's doing
Aug 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
✟7,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
All Christians should be water baptized. But the only baptism that is required for salvation is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. That is what it means to be baptized into Christ. Jesus is the one who baptizes all who believe.

Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 1 Peter 3:21

So, the baptism that saves is the baptism that results in a good conscience. Now, letting scripture interpret scripture, what did Paul say?

Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” Galatians 4:6

And,

The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, Romans 8:16

Therefore, it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that saves.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus fulfill when he came or not? If he did then perhaps heaven and earth are being used in a symbolic way and the jot and tittle of the old covenant have passed away or become obsolete. 2 Corinthians 5:17 states old things have passed away, all things have become new. Wouldn’t this include heaven and earth?

Matthew 24:35 heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. This verse seems to indicate that at some point there is a condition where heaven and earth pass away while His words don’t. So I would say while we still have the words of the old covenant we are no longer under that covenant but under the new covenant.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Quite honestly I consider it disingenuous when someone makes the disclaimer that they're only posting what's in the Bible, when they are obviously trying to teach or claim something.

To whom are you making this comment?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Why is that a disclaimer? Everyone posts sections of the Bible to argue a point; they're not just posting random sections. That would be pointless.

Here are two selections from the OT and two selections from the NT... "Then the Lord spoke to Aaron, “Do not drink wine or strong drink, you and your sons with you, when you enter into the Meeting Tent, so that you do not die. This is a perpetual statute throughout your generations, as well as to distinguish between the holy and the common, and between the unclean and the clean, and to teach the Israelites all the statutes that the Lord has spoken to them through Moses.” Leviticus 10:8-11... "Be very strong! Carefully obey all that is written in the law scroll of Moses so you won’t swerve from it to the right or the left" Joshua 23:6... "For what does the scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” Paul, Romans 4:3 and , "Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3:16

And of course there are many more examples.

Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You started out making a interesting point, when Jesus says let the Dead bury their Dead. But being born again is a change in the body according to John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Notice verse 3, except a man is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. We have just learned something here. If you are not born again you can not see the kingdom of God. As we go further you will understand this. Remember there is a time for everything.

Nicodemus asked a very good question. Take a look at the next set of verses.

John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

In verse 5, born of the water in this case is the Word of God. Notice the Lord mentions the kingdom of God again, but He adds a little more information. He says "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. When he mentions spirit He means exactly that. Watch how the Lord gives something physical to describe exactly what He means.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Notice He made a difference between flesh and spirit. Ask yourself that question, was you born flesh or spirit?

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Notice He compared the wind to a spirit. Can you see the wind? No! We have seen things being blown around by the wind, but we have never seen the wind. If you are born of the spirit you are like the wind. This is when you are truly born again, when you are born of the spirit
I don’t see how any of that changes anything I said.

I was born of the flesh.

I was dead in the spirit.

I was born again. This time, in the spirit.

Done deal.

When I shed this body that I have lugged around for 70 years, the spirit will continue to be alive.

Done deal.

I assume that summarizes everything you said.
But it also describes what I said.

imo

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0