little stream

Mar 1, 2016
Berlin
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is one scripture ,Acts1:11 " this same Jesus...shall so come in like manner as you have seen him go into heaven."and there are other scriptures:
"If therefore you shall not watch,I will come on you as a thief..."(Revelation3:3)
"...for in such an hour as you think not the Son of man comes."(Matthew 24:44)
"Behold,he comes with clouds;and every eye shall see him,and they also which pierced him:and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him.Even so ,Amen."(Revelation 1:7)
We can easily discover that the scenes prophesied in these verses about the Lord's coming again are not the same.One says that he will come like a thief,without anyone knowing;another says that he will come with clouds,and every eye shall see him.Then,how exactly will the Lord come? Which one of them will be fulfilled? In fact ,all these verses will be fulfilled ,for no word of God will fail.Besides,these verses seem contradictory literally but are not contradictory in essence.Let's consider two examples to see how the prophecies are fulfilled,and we will be clear about all this.First ,let's see how how the Lord left.One verse records,“Touch me not;for I am not yet ascended to my Father….” (John 20:17) This is what the Lord Jesus said to Mary, who went to the tomb to see him when he was raised three days after his crucifixion. However, another verse records, “… Reach here your finger, and behold my hands….” (John 20:27) These are the words that the Lord Jesus said to Thomas, who didn’t believe he had been resurrected. What have we seen from these two verses? If Jesus had not ascended to the Father, how could he have let Thomas touch him? By this we know that the Lord Jesus had ascended to heaven once secretly before he did so publicly. That is to say, the Lord Jesus ascended to heaven twice altogether: one in a hidden way and the other in a public way. Thus, according to what the Lord said, “As I will go, so will I come,” won’t he also have to come twice, one in a hidden way and the other in a public way? At this point, we should be able to understand that the above two verses actually don’t contradict each other though they seem contradictory literally. It is only that people didn’t understand their implications. Let’s reread these verses. Revelation 3:3 says, “… I will come on you as a thief….” Matthew 24:44 says, “…for in such an hour as you think not the Son of man comes.” And Matthew 24:50 says, “The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looks not for him….” These three verses all refer to God’s doing the work in a hidden way when he comes again in the end time. In Revelation 1:7, however, it says, “Behold, he comes with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.”
This shows that when God does the work in a hidden way, he is saving people, but when he appears publicly, he will begin to punish the evil and reward the good. As Matthew 24:37-39 says, “But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” Why are the days of the Son of Man said to be the same as the days of Noah? Because before the flood came, the day was hidden and the people didn’t see the fact of God’s punishing the evil and rewarding the good, and when Noah preached that “the flood is coming,” none of them believed it and they all vilified him, but when the flood came, that is, when the day of God’s punishment came (the day was made public), they were all dumbfounded.

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those verses do not refer to God doing things in a hidden way. They are meant to infer that when Jesus comes back it will be suddenly and when we least expect it.

He even explains it in the part you left out..

"I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee."

We shall not know the hour which he comes. He didn't say he would be a thief or like a thief, he said i will come on you as a thief. You also left out the important part of the other verse.

"Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh."

We should be ready because we don't know when he will come. The only secret to any of those verses is the time of his return. And when it happens then all eyes will see.

Also a quick note... Jesus didn't ascend to God the first time in secret, as a matter of fact he told Mary he was going.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jacobs well

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We won't know the exact time of the second coming of Christ but we have been left with enough signs through the Prophets and the Gospels and especially Revelation to realize it won't be happening secretly.
We know where-the top of Mount of Olives.
And we know what to watch for from heavenly signs, to the Last trump announcing His return- Luke 21-36
The Bible tells us what lies ahead, just not the moment Christ appears.

Upvote 0

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The others have explained the 2nd coming quite well so I will concentrate on the fact he told Mary not to touch him but invited Thomas Didymus (Thomas the doubter) to put his hand within his wound. Jesus knew Thomas wouldn't do it, Jesus also knew that once invited to do it Thomas would believe. Thomas' eyes were opened and he immediately recognised Jesus for who he is, that is the Christ, and he said to Jesus "My Lord and my God". Jesus then says to Thomas "Thomas because you have seen me you have believed" he didn't say "Thomas because you have touched me you have believed". Jesus goes even further and says "blessed are those who have not seen yet believe". So like the other query you have you have missed out important verses (that means you took 1 verse out of context) and haven't see the full story. None of what you have posted in the OP is contradictory when read in context.

Reactions: little stream
Upvote 0