Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,

The one problem after the split is if I want all of your opinions, I now have to post duplicate posts in either section. :sigh: Ah well. I need your opinions on something..

For those of you who aren't aware of what I'm talking about, it's this: http://www.adventistbookcenter.com/D...sku=0828015546

Several years back I managed to get to an ABC store in my area (which was way further than I expected. Ended up walking over 10km in wind chill. Rofl)...and among the purchase of my first Bible, I bought a copy of Daniel and The Revelation: Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary. What I found out after was that it was a small section of a larger commentary...but it ended up put away until recently, when my interest resorted back to prophecy and Daniel.

So I picked it up. I've been using a Nelson's study Bible the past years and was really happy with it. It has maps, a concordance, pretty decent commentary and related articles -- basically, it's done me really well, although it's falling apart now. I thought THAT was full of resources, but I'm quickly realizing my little Dan. & Rev. book is far better. I've never seen a commentary so exhaustive or informative! Wow. It takes me a couple hours (I'm a slow reader) just to get through one chapter in Daniel. *lol* :eek:

Sooo, I figured maybe I'd invest in getting the whole commentary. It seemed worth it while reading my small section, and looked into it today. Only to find how insanely huge it is! The commentary alone is 7 volumes and around $250 US??? Woah. :swoon: Not to mention the set I linked to above that's got the extra 5 books in it, for a regular price of over $400 US!

Now, from my tiny section I can undertand why. I mean seriously, a whole page of commentary for one verse alone? That could be indespensable for learning about the background history, beyond theology. (For example, I know a lot more about the Babylonian empire than I did before I picked it up. My other study Bible told me practically nothing in comparison.)

Still..that's a lot of money, and space on my bookshelf. So I'm wondering, has anyone else got it? What is your opinion of it? Is there another commentary out there that rivals it for how in depth it is, yet maybe a bit cheaper?

What kind of resources does it have? Is it really heavy on SDA theology or does it give different views on things? (My study Bible gives several different options for verses where denominations think differently, so I'm spoiled that way)

Would I be better to just buy the commentary itself, or the whole set?

Wow. This thing's huge. *lol* I need you guys' help.

Blessings and Love,
Sarah

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have the full set. It is not a bad commentary, though there are certainly better in my opinion. But the better ones tend to be larger and more expensive than even that one. For instance, a commentary I used in college that I really enjoyed is the 59 volume Word Biblical commentary. But it is over 600 bucks even for the software version! Which is just out of range for most folks. I would like to buy it, but don't have that kind of money right now.

As for the SDA commentary, yes, it is heavy on SDA theology.

If you are wanting quite a bit of insight for zero money, you can check out e-sword, a free Bible program available online, that has free commentaries you can get:

http://www.e-sword.net/commentaries.html

They tend to be from the last century, and are by no means perfect. But they have a lot of good information all the same.

I like Gill's commentary about the best on e-sword. Others may have a different opinion. The nice part about using software is that you just look up the Bible text and then you can access multiple commentaries right next to the text by clicking a button.

Another helpful resource on e-sword is in the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, which you can find under the "dictionary" section in the downlaods. It has articles on biblical towns, names, etc. Very helpful for doing research.

There are better software packages for studying too, but they will cost you a lot. And among the free programs e-sword is quite good.

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

~ ¤ Love. It's in you. ¤ ~
Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

I'm more looking for an off the computer source, to be honest. Whenever I try to study on the computer I find myself way too easily distracted and tend not to remember half of what I read/listened to because of that. There's something so much more relaxing and easy to focus about curling up on the couch or bed with a good book. ;)

Nonetheless, I appreciate the online suggestions and will check them out. :) I actually use e-sword. It was my very first Bible. Very wonderful software, although I admit I haven't spent much time looking into the commentaries in it. I'll have to check that one you suggested out, Tall. Never hurts, especially now that I'm venturing into a new Christian site I'm working on.

Sophia mentioned the Word commentary, and I plan to look it up. It sounds promising, just by it's price and size alone. *lol* :) I thought the 7 volume SDA commentary was big. Wow. It's a shame you guys can't afford it. Maybe if it can be bought individually you could buy it over a period of time, if you go for the book format?

I'm in a very blessed place right now where I have the money to buy any of these, it just requires explaining why I want to spend so much on basically a really detailed Bible to my mom. Which is easier said than done. I'll put some thought into it and check that other one out, first. Ironically, it'd be easier trying to explain it if it's not from my denomination. Sigh.

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

~ ¤ Love. It's in you. ¤ ~
Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Well, that's only just under 5 years. *lol*

Actually, I'm kinda excited. I had this sudden urge to email my Pastor for his opinion, and he says he may be able to get me a set of the SDA ones for free (used, I'm assuming). Not for sure yet, but it could be a real blessing...and allow me to get both. Although I'd probably have to buy this one a couple books at a time, too. Considering some of them go up to $40, from the site I was looking at.

I'm hoping to one day set up a Bible study group, so having some commentaries could be really helpful too. :)

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow 600 dollars. I spent half that on a 360.^_^ Crimson, I would go with whichever one is convenient for you. However, I would stay away from the Adventist commentary as it is likely to present a biased account. That's just me though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums