The scripture hath concluded all under sin.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
People can choose to be disobedient, but God may offer them repentance. If so, they are like the prodigal son, who 'came to himself'. That meant God was goading him to return, in that case by the circumstances of the man's life. And the prodigal never stopped being a son of the father. The father waited with longing patience for the sons return.

Peter had a good understanding of God's loving patience with himself.
These following verse are only for them who will inherit salvation
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:15
and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you believe that?

Since becoming a Christian 30+ years ago, I can't think of a time that I intentionally chose to sin. Rather, it just happens, normally because my fallen, selfish nature is always right there waiting in the wings, trying to take back the reins of my life again. For instance, when I become impatient with others (when I should be understanding/kind/loving them instead), or frustrated at something that seems out of my control (when I should have been trusting God instead), I sin in that moment, but not intentionally (and when my sense returns to me, which normally happens pretty rapidly thanks to the HS :amen:, I ask Him to forgive me and He does .. 1 John 1:9, so that I can get back to my walk with Him and stop focusing on myself).

Yours and His,
David

People can choose to be disobedient, but God may offer them repentance. If so, they are like the prodigal son, who 'came to himself'. That meant God was goading him to return, in that case by the circumstances of the man's life. And the prodigal never stopped being a son of the father. The father waited with longing patience for the sons return.

Peter had a good understanding of God's loving patience with himself.
These following verse are only for them who will inherit salvation
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:15
and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,

Now I'm just spit balling here, but has the Christ event so sanctified our lives completely that we cannot sin again?

Did Peter sin "intentionally" or "chose to be disobedient" in Acts 10? Or Galatians 2, where Paul accused him and said he was guilty of hypocrasy?

Did Paul sin "intentionally" or "chose to be disobedient" in Acts where he disobeyed the Holy Spirit or "reviled" the high Priest?

If we take this, to the standard for everybody:

"He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." -1 Jn. 3:8-9 (KJV)

Then there is not one single Christian in the world! Not a single one.

Since the day we accepted Christ, has anybody the gall to say they have never sinned once?

John Gill comments on verse 8 saying:

"He that committeth sin is of the devil
Not everyone that sins, or commits acts of sin, then every man is of the devil, because no man lives without the commission of sin; but he who makes sin his constant business, and the employment of his life, whose life is a continued series of sinning, he is of the devil; not as to origin and substance, or by proper generation, as some have literally understood the words; but by imitation, being like him, and so of him their father, doing his lusts, living continually in sin, as he does, and so resemble him, as children do their parents; and hereby also appear to be under his government and influence, to be led captive by him at his will, and so to belong to him, and such as will have their part and portion with him in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, so living and dying:"

Source

And about verse 9 he says:

"Whosoever is born of God
In a figurative and spiritual sense; who are regenerated, or born from above; who are quickened by the grace of God, and have Christ formed in them; who are made partakers of the divine nature, and new creatures in Christ; which spiritual birth is not owing to men, to the power and will of men, but to the grace of God; and is sometimes ascribed to the Father, who of his own will and abundant mercy begets souls again to a lively hope, and saves them by the washing of regeneration; and sometimes to Christ, who quickens whom he will, whose grace is implanted, and image stamped in it, and by whose resurrection from the dead men are begotten again; and chiefly, to the Spirit of God, who is the author of regeneration, and of the whole of sanctification: and such as are born of him are alive through him, the spirit of life entering into them, and live to God and upon Christ, and breathe after divine and spiritual things, and have their senses to discern them; they see, hear, feel, taste, and savour them; and desire the sincere milk of the word, for their nourishment and growth; and have every grace implanted in them, as faith, hope, and love: and of every such an one it is said, he

doth not commit sin;
does not make it his trade and business; it is not the constant course of his life; he does not live and walk in sin, or give up himself to it; he is not without the being of it in him, or free from acts of sin in his life and conversation, but he does not so commit it as to be the servant of it, a slave unto it, or to continue in it; and that for this reason:

for his seed remaineth in him;
not the word of God, or the Gospel, though that is a seed which is sown by the ministers of it, and blessed by God, and by which he regenerates his people; and which having a place in their hearts, becomes the ingrafted word, and there abides, nor can it be rooted out; where it powerfully teaches to avoid sin, is an antidote against it, and a preservative from it: nor the Holy Spirit of God, though he is the author of the new birth, and the principle of all grace; and where he once is, he always abides; and through the power of his grace believers prevail against sin, and mortify the deeds of the body, and live: but rather the grace of the Spirit, the internal principle of grace in the soul, the new nature, or new man formed in the soul, is meant; which seminally contains all grace in it, and which, like seed, springs up and gradually increases, and always abides; and is pure and incorruptible, and neither sins itself, nor encourages sin, but opposes, checks, and prevents it:

and he cannot sin;
not that it is impossible for such a man to do acts of sin, or that it is possible for him to live without sin; for the words are not to be understood in the sense of those who plead for perfection in this life; for though the saints have perfection in Christ, yet not in themselves; they are not impeccable, they are not free from sin, neither from the being nor actings of it; sin is in them, lives in them, dwells in them, hinders all the good, and does all the mischief it can: or in such sense, as if the sins of believers were not sins; for though they are pardoned and expiated, and they are justified from them, yet they do not cease to be sins; they are equally contrary to the nature, will, and law of God, as well as the sins of others; and are oftentimes attended with more aggravated circumstances, and which God in a fatherly way takes notice of, and chastises for, and on the account of which he hides his face from them: nor does the phrase intend any particular single sin, which cannot be committed; though there are such, as sinning wilfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, or denying Christ to be the Saviour of sinners, and a sacrifice for sin, and hatred of a Christian brother as such, and sinning the sin unto death, or the unpardonable sin; neither of which can be committed by a regenerate man: nor is the meaning only, though it is a sense that will very well bear, and agrees with the context, that such persons cannot sin as unregenerate men do; that is, live in a continued course of sinning, and with pleasure, and without reluctance, and so as to lie in it, as the whole world does: but rather the meaning is, he that is born of God, as he is born of God, or that which is born of God in him, the new man, or new creature, cannot sin; for that is pure and holy; there is nothing sinful in it, nor can anything that is sinful come out of it, or be done by it; it is the workmanship of the Holy Spirit of God; it is a good work, and well pleasing: in the sight of God, who is of purer eyes than to behold sin with delight; and an incorruptible seed, which neither corrupts nor is corrupted; and though it is as yet an imperfect work, it is not impure: the reason of the impeccability of the regenerate man, as such, is

because he is born of God:
for that which is born of God in him, does, under the influence of the Spirit, power, and grace of God, preserve him from the temptations of Satan, the pollutions of the world, and the corruptions of his own heart; see ( 1 John 5:18 ) ; which the Vulgate Latin version there renders, "the generation of God", meaning regeneration, or that which is born of God, "preserveth him": this furnishes out a considerable argument for the perseverance of the saints."

Source

There will be one time and one time only when I can say truthfully that I am sin free:

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." -1 Jn. 3:2 (KJV)

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course, Psalms 51:7 tells us that when God cleanses us with hyssop, we shall be WHITER THAN SNOW. Of course we are justified through faith in Christ; I'm saying that faith in Christ will produce a change in life/behaviour.
Understood. BUT can we say that such a person will never commit even a single sin again?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Since the day we accepted Christ, has anybody the gall to say they have never sinned once?

Hi DD, there are many, right here at CF, in fact (and elsewhere, of course), who do have that much gall, but I never said that nor have I ever believed that personally (nor does the Bible teach that). And I may have intentionally sinned (IOW, known full-well via the HS that what I was about to say or even think was sinful, but I went ahead and said it or thought it anyway) .. I just don't remember doing so.

But, for instance, getting impatient with others and finding myself caught up in sinning unintentionally in that (kind of sinning), sadly, I do all the time :(

But thinking to myself, "yeah, I know what I'm about to say or do is sinful, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway, because I know God will forgive me in the end", something like that I do not remember doing since the day I became Christian nearly 32 years ago.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi DD, there are many, right here at CF, in fact (and elsewhere, of course), who do have that much gall, but I never said that nor have I ever believed that personally (nor does the Bible teach that). And I may have intentionally sinned (IOW, known full-well via the HS that what I was about to say or even think was sinful, but I went ahead and said it or thought it anyway) .. I just don't remember doing so.

But, for instance, getting impatient with others and finding myself caught up in sinning unintentionally in that (kind of sinning), sadly, I do all the time :(

But thinking to myself, "yeah, I know what I'm about to say or do is sinful, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway, because I know God will forgive me in the end", something like that I do not remember doing since the day I became Christian nearly 32 years ago.

Yours and His,
David

My comments were not directed at you. Sorry if it came off that way. I merely wanted to quote you as a way of backing up what I was about to say.

And yes, I agree. I have ran into quite a few on this forum myself in 13 years who say the same thing.

I apologize for any misunderstanding.

If Peter and Paul could not live a sinless life less than 10 years after the death of Christ, what makes people believe we are better than them? Or able to do something that they couldn't do themselves?

To use John's passage in the manner in which it is suggested, (the standard) then by all rights, if anybody saved or unsaved sins, then there are no Christians in the world today!

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My comments were not directed at you. Sorry if it came off that way. I merely wanted to quote you as a way of backing up what I was about to say.

And yes, I agree. I have ran into quite a few on this forum myself in 13 years who say the same thing.

I apologize for any misunderstanding.

If Peter and Paul could not live a sinless life less than 10 years after the death of Christ, what makes people believe we are better than them? Or able to do something that they couldn't do themselves?

To use John's passage in the manner in which it is suggested, (the standard) then by all rights, if anybody saved or unsaved sins, then there are no Christians in the world today!

God Bless

Till all are one.
No worries at all brother :) However, I did want to try to distance myself from anyone thinking that I might believe that ;) Like you just said, if being a Christian means being wholly sanctified and sinless from the day of our spiritual births (or at anytime this side of Glory), then there are no Christians in the world today.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
For the sake of argument, let us consider 1 John 3:3, which is in direct context of 1 John 3:2, quoted recently above. 1 John 3:3 says, And every man that hath this hope in him (Jesus Christ) purifieth himself, even as he (Jesus Christ) is pure.

Is there any impurity in Jesus Christ? In him is no sin, 1 John 3:5b.

Jesus Christ is completely pure and without sin! So how pure will I be if I purify myself EVEN AS HE IS PURE?

The only condition for such purification is if I "have this hope in him." The hope being spoken of is the understanding that when He returns I will receive a glorified body, set free from even the presence of sin. Is it possible that believing God for this provides an advance on what we are trusting the Lord to do in us when He returns? That we can be sanctified spirit and soul AND BODY even in this life? This is not to say that we can never fall down again (see 1 Corinthians 10:12-13), but that we can walk in strong victory over the world, the flesh and the devil so that our times of actual stumbling will be far and few between.

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
God will never suffer us to be tempted beyond what we are able (1 Corinthians 10:13). So we CAN walk in total and complete victory over the temptations that come our way! I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME! Philippians 4:13.

Upvote 0