The scripture hath concluded all under sin.

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:8 says, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive oursleves, and the truth is not in us."

Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God."

And Galatians 3:22 says, "But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe."

So, it would seem, that faith in Jesus Christ is what saves me, even if I am ungodly He is able to justify me. See Romans 4:5.

On the other hand, 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us that, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

1 John 3:9 tells us, "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

Hebrews 10:14 says, "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."

I conclude that when the scripture concludes all under sin, it is referring to the fact that all have had a B.C.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
By grace through faith we are justified. Amen.
David says we are sinful from the womb. Psalms 51:5 So there is no way we could be justified any other way than through Christ Jesus because we all fall short of God's glory :]

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:8 says, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive oursleves, and the truth is not in us."

Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God."

And Galatians 3:22 says, "But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe."

So, it would seem, that faith in Jesus Christ is what saves me, even if I am ungodly He is able to justify me. See Romans 4:5.

On the other hand, 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us that, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

1 John 3:9 tells us, "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

Hebrews 10:14 says, "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."

I conclude that when the scripture concludes all under sin, it is referring to the fact that all have had a B.C.
Hi Justbyfaith, we are given the desire and power not to sin when God causes us to be born again and makes us into "new creatures" in Christ. Our lives become characterized by the desire to please/honor/obey God when we are walking in the Spirit, when we put on the "new man"/"new self", but sadly, our "old self" remains for the duration of our lives on this side of Glory, so we need to be forever diligent to lay aside the old self with its corruption until the day we die .. cf Ephesians 4:22-24.

As the Elder Apostle John wrote specifically to the saints (of all levels of maturity in the Christian faith .. e.g. "little children"/"young men"/"fathers" .. see 1 John 2:1-14) in his various congregations (and the Apostle includes himself in the group whenever he writes "we", "us" and "our" here .. see verses 1:8-2:2 below),

1 John 1
8 If 'we' say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If 'we' confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive 'us' our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, 'we' have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for 'our' sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole
world.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
By grace through faith we are justified. Amen.
David says we are sinful from the womb. Psalms 51:5 So there is no way we could be justified any other way than through Christ Jesus because we all fall short of God's glory :]
Of course, Psalms 51:7 tells us that when God cleanses us with hyssop, we shall be WHITER THAN SNOW. Of course we are justified through faith in Christ; I'm saying that faith in Christ will produce a change in life/behaviour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course, Psalms 51:7 tells us that when God cleanses us with hyssop, we shall be WHITER THAN SNOW. Of course we are justified through faith in Christ; I'm saying that faith in Christ will produce a change in life/behaviour.
It sure does :] We want to live righteous because He is :]

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Hi Justbyfaith, we are given the desire and power not to sin when God causes us to be born again and makes us into "new creatures" in Christ. Our lives become characterized by the desire to please/honor/obey God when we are walking in the Spirit, when we put on the "new man"/"new self", but sadly, our "old self" remains for the duration of our lives on this side of Glory, so we need to be forever diligent to lay aside the old self with its corruption until the day we die .. cf Ephesians 4:22-24.

As the Elder Apostle John wrote specifically to the saints (of all levels of maturity in the Christian faith .. e.g. "little children"/"young men"/"fathers" .. see 1 John 2:1-14) in his various congregations,

1 John 1
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole
world.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
When we lay aside the "old self" we are no longer wearing it. The only way we are going to wear it again is if we put off the new self and put the old self back on again. re #5, #10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟85,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
experience, but that in our A.D. experience our lives are characterized by walking in freedom from sin.

Thoughts and opinions?

You have found wonderful fellowship in this thread! I see it.

I typically speak in a very direct and simplistic way that focuses on a world that is in severe need of Mercy, Love and Grace.

The verses you quoted are utilized by myself very frequently to connect with all individuals that struggle, fail and become discouraged.

In that light... we are all different members of the same body and we all serve different purposes to the Divine Potter.

All blessings to you... I am glad you have found the fellowship you seek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I'm interested in what words you might use to express your take on my statement. I am not against discussion; there is a difference between that and the spirit of debate. I think that taking the time to ponder each other's posts is a good way to have more civilized discussion and avoid debate mode; which I would define as arguing for arguing's sake and never being able to admit it when the other party has a valid point.

Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That would take a deliberate act on our part.
Why do you believe that?

Since becoming a Christian 30+ years ago, I can't think of a time that I intentionally chose to sin. Rather, it just happens, normally because my fallen, selfish nature is always right there waiting in the wings, trying to take back the reins of my life again. For instance, when I become impatient with others (when I should be understanding/kind/loving them instead), or frustrated at something that seems out of my control (when I should have been trusting God instead), I sin in that moment, but not intentionally (and when my sense returns to me, which normally happens pretty rapidly thanks to the HS :amen:, I ask Him to forgive me and He does .. 1 John 1:9, so that I can get back to my walk with Him and stop focusing on myself).

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Point taken.

I was merely thinking of the raw elements of the analogy, of wearing the old man or the new man. If I take off an old coat and put on a new one, it would take a deliberate act of taking off the new coat and putting on the old coat again, for me to be wearing the old coat again.

But since in not looking at the terms of the analogy, but in your experience you have found that the analogy doesn't apply, I can see your point of view.

Upvote 0