Does wearing a face mask prevent spread of virus?

• Yes

• No

• For some people this is dangerous , but most should wear one

Results are only viewable after voting.

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is wearing a face mask harmful or life preserving?. Just had massive argument with relative in UK who plans to visit my parents end July but who never wears a mask. I told him he was being irresponsible and could kill my parents. His main arguments are that face masks cause build up of toxic levels CO2 and Hypoxia ( Oxygen depravation). He regards the whole face mask thing as a government conspiracy, social engineering project to promote online shopping and monitoring of consumers pushed by mainstream media. He says I am not thinking things through and am foolish to wear a mask in public places.

Whose right?

'Deadly mask' claims debunked

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Halbhh

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is wearing a face harmful or life preserving?. Just had massive argument with relative in UK who plans to visit my parents end July but who never wears a mask. I told him he was being irresponsible and could kill my parents. His main arguments are that face masks cause build up of toxic levels CO2 and Hypoxia ( Oxygen depravation). He regards the whole face mask thing as a government conspiracy, social engineering project to promote online shopping and monitoring of consumers pushed by mainstream media. He says I am not thinking things through and am foolish to wear a mask in public places.

Whose right?

Is this poll scientific?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He regards the whole face mask thing as a government conspiracy

Any government in particular?

social engineering project to promote online shopping and monitoring of consumers

So, without masks people would not be online shopping? How do masks help with monitoring? Does he think they have secret microchips in them? Does he think facial recognition is easier when people are wearing masks?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Here’s a BBC article. 'Deadly mask' claims debunked But it’s really hard to disprove this kind of claim, because it’s normally combined with conspiracy theory, that mainstream press and doctors can’t be trusted.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Define scientific.
You’re asking people who have no way of knowing the truth. It’s like parents who research vaccines by scouring Facebook postings rather that looking for medical people who know what they are talking about.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You’re asking people who have no way of knowing the truth. It’s like parents who research vaccines by scouring Facebook postings rather that looking for medical people who know what they are talking about.

Perhaps you confused me with the OP? I was not asking anyone any medical questions.

What I was asking chevyontheriver for was a clarification of a his concept of the meaning of the word scientific in order to understand the reason for the question "Is this poll scientific?". .I am doing that ds o that I perhaps can give an opinion on whether, by his understanding of that word, the poll is scientific. There is no way that I would ever have any doubt about any poll being scientific by my understanding of the word scientific. However, the word seems to mean numerous things to numerous people and those meanings often do not coincide at all.

As to your comment about the poll not being in any way equivalent to the advice of professional medical people. That is certainly true but I don't think the OP's intention was to make any decisions based upon the results of the poll or advise anyone else to do so. It would seem to me that the linked article is evidence that the OP already has a position on this and just wants to see what other people think.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here’s a BBC article. 'Deadly mask' claims debunked But it’s really hard to disprove this kind of claim, because it’s normally combined with conspiracy theory, that mainstream press and doctors can’t be trusted.

That last is half true. Doctors are mostly trustworthy. Not all, but then again what profession doesn't have its bad apples.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this poll scientific?

Yes cause it is asking if the evidence supports the wearing of masks or not. This is not a freedom of choice issue it is a question about how objectively effective a mask is.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is wearing a face harmful or life preserving?. Just had massive argument with relative in UK who plans to visit my parents end July but who never wears a mask. I told him he was being irresponsible and could kill my parents. His main arguments are that face masks cause build up of toxic levels CO2 and Hypoxia ( Oxygen depravation). He regards the whole face mask thing as a government conspiracy, social engineering project to promote online shopping and monitoring of consumers pushed by mainstream media. He says I am not thinking things through and am foolish to wear a mask in public places.

Whose right?

Here is a good article. Read it carefully. There is a lot of "may help" and "can help" etc. In the article. Everyone is careful not to say that a mask "will" protect you.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any government in particular?

He thinks it is a global conspiracy but if I can establish that scientifically wearing masks minimises disease spread this is moot point. Cause this is not about conspiracies and freedom but about the science.
So, without masks people would not be online shopping? How do masks help with monitoring? Does he think they have secret microchips in them? Does he think facial recognition is easier when people are wearing masks?

The 5g tracked mask theory is a different one but just as easily debunked by evidence. No the theory is because people cannot use cash online and can be monitored online by their credit card transactions. Facemasks are part of the conspiracy because they put some people off going to physical shops by perpetuating the overblown fear of disease. There is some truth to the possibility of easier monitoring of spending habits online, but whether it is an organised conspiracy is a moot point to the thread which is about whether face masks work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well social distancing and mask wearing . Why is this even an issue? . NYC had 0 deaths the other day so I’d say they help. NYC was the former epicenter of the virus a few months ago and we had bodies stacked in tractor trailers because we ran out of space in hospital morgues. If you don’t wear a mask you’re stupid , period!

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a good article. Read it carefully. There is a lot of "may help" and "can help" etc. In the article. Everyone is careful not to say that a mask "will" protect you.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Actually it is clear ftom the article and the CDC recommendations that wearing a simple cloth mask properly eg over nose and chin and not continually fiddling with it considerably reduces the risk factor relating to spread of disease. Countries that understood this earliest e.g. Germany controlled the virus in a timely fashion.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well social distancing and mask wearing . Why is this even an issue? . NYC had 0 deaths the other day so I’d say they help. NYC was the former epicenter of the virus a few months ago and we had bodies stacked in tractor trailers because we ran out of space in hospital morgues. If you don’t wear a mask you’re stupid , period!

The person in the OP I was arguing with thinks that wearing a mask might cause brain damage or respiratory problems. He has,allergies and is reluctant to cover his face with any thing. He thinks I am a victim of the media conspiracy for wearing a mask.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually it is clear ftom the article and the CDC recommendations that wearing a simple cloth mask properly eg over nose and chin and not continually fiddling with it considerably reduces the risk factor relating to spread of disease. Countries that understood this earliest e.g. Germany controlled the virus in a timely fashion.

I'm all in agreement with reduces or helps but so many think it's an outright protection. I bought a mask the other day at a gas station and you could hold it up to the light and see through it. Our state just made it mandatory to wear a mask even if that mask offers zero protection like the one from the gas station. I don't understand why if it's about safety and reduction of the virus that they don't actually have guidelines as to what type of mask. To me that says it's about control not safety. Like saying a liquor store is essential but church is off limits

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’ve got allergies and I hate wearing that mask . I hate sneezing in it even more ( I carry extras) . I still wear it because I live in NYC and let’s just say the those pictures of bodies stacked in the tractor trailers had a bit of an effect on me . Mainly because I didn’t want to join them. I also knew people who had died.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He regards the whole face mask thing as a government conspiracy, social engineering project to promote online shopping and monitoring of consumers pushed by mainstream media.

He says I am not thinking things through and am foolish to wear a mask in public places.

Whose right?

I know a couple of those types.
Kind of out there I think?
Set your rules and stick to them.
Not going to kill them to wear a mask.
M

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Whose right?

In my humble opinion I think you're both wrong. I think he's wrong to call it a conspiracy. Governments have to be seen as doing something. The masks aren't being imposed to save us, but, rather, they're being imposed to save the government. It's not social engineering. It's just placation.

And, while they do, theoretically, slow the spread, even the strongest proponents don't claim that masks stop the spread. This is not like avoiding promiscuity to stop the spread of syphilis. You would have to stop breathing to avoid this. It's not foolish to wear a mask in public, but the masks and the isolation will certainly have a negative impact on our society in the long run (but that's another topic).

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
There is a lot of "may help" and "can help" etc. In the article. Everyone is careful not to say that a mask "will" protect you.

People need to understand that a mask isn't 100% guaranteed protection.

The problem is that some people are prone to strict black-and-white thinking. And therefore they interpret "not 100% guaranteed" to be the equivalent of 0%. I think some people just aren't able to grasp the concept of relative risk reduction.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The poll in the OP is worded poorly. Masks don't strictly *prevent* the spread of the virus, but they do reduce the spread of the virus. There is a distinction.

That said, I voted "yes" given that contextual understanding.

Upvote 0