everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I often hear triumphalists loudly and with apparent glee proclaiming that the only reason the Church of England broke with Rome is King Henry's divorce. On the other hand Anglican clergy tell me that was merely the straw that broke the camel's back and that serious tensions already existed.

What say you on the matter? Could anyone direct me to sources of learning on this topic?

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I often hear triumphalists loudly and with apparent glee proclaiming that the only reason the Church of England broke with Rome is King Henry's divorce. On the other hand Anglican clergy tell me that was merely the straw that broke the camel's back and that serious tensions already existed.

What say you on the matter? Could anyone direct me to sources of learning on this topic?

You could start with this book.

The Anglican Tradition

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This book also goes into depth about the Church in and of England, it is a bit dated though but then again we are talking about history anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Church-State-England-Classic-Reprint/dp/1330210042

If you are a Logos Bible Software user the book is also available for US$9.99 it is also part of the Anglican and Oxford packages.

I have attached a sample chapter on the tension in the time of Richard II and Henry II. There is a lot more in the book but I only attached this chapter for copyright reasons.

In my humble opinion, all of the schisms in the Church were more about power struggles and control than they were about theology.

Attachments

• CHAPTER IV.pdf
    100.6 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My colleague Fr. Tom makes a rather lengthy argument that the Magna Carta laid the groundwork for Anglican autocephaly. You have to give him a full glass of whiskey to hear the whole case though.

That period is covered in the chapter I attached my post above.

• Informative
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Henry's seeking an annulment was certainty his main reason for justifying schism and the establishment of his own Church. But how is it argued that England was on the breaking point (at that time of history) of wavering between Protestantism and Catholicism? Wasn't the population of England during his Catholic years majority Catholic?

It seems hard to argue that King Henry had no influence on the initial move away from Catholicism to half-blown Protestantism that latter monarchs enforced. Same goes for Catholic Monarchs. had Elizabeth been Catholic she might have continued with Mary's efforts and strengthened the Catholic Church in England instead of adding more Protestant elements to it.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Henry's seeking an annulment was certainty his main reason for justifying schism and the establishment of his own Church. But how is it argued that England was on the breaking point (at that time of history) of wavering between Protestantism and Catholicism? Wasn't the population of England during his Catholic years majority Catholic?

It seems hard to argue that King Henry had no influence on the initial move away from Catholicism to half-blown Protestantism that latter monarchs enforced. Same goes for Catholic Monarchs. had Elizabeth been Catholic she might have continued with Mary's efforts and strengthened the Catholic Church in England instead of adding more Protestant elements to it.

I don't believe anyone has argued that he didn't have something to do with the beginning of the end. If you wish to learn something about the history behind the tensions of the Church in England and Rome you could try reading the books that have been recommended above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums