Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I explained yesterday why, The Silence question is apostasy. Too many get the answer wrong. regardless of the motives and the naysayers, apostasy is always wrong, even under the circumstances depicted in the novel and film Silence.

Continued below.
The sadness of all apostasy—and the modern scandal
I haven't seen the movie but I did read the book. The message I got from it was that plain old believers stood up to apostasy and the missionaries ought to have done so too. Thinking there is some sort of special morality that justifies apostasy is in the end hogwash. It's a clever thing to think about, but in the end you stand with Jesus or you don't. You pray for fortitude and you make your stand.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,648,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I am going to see it over the holidays. I saw it at the library so I am going to pick it up and see how it is depicted.
I haven't seen the movie but I did read the book. The message I got from it was that plain old believers stood up to apostasy and the missionaries ought to have done so too. Thinking there is some sort of special morality that justifies apostasy is in the end hogwash. It's a clever thing to think about, but in the end you stand with Jesus or you don't. You pray for fortitude and you make your stand.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think I am going to see it over the holidays. I saw it at the library so I am going to pick it up and see how it is depicted.
There is also at least one older movie made from the book. I haven't seen that either.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT!

Sorry just saw you planned to see it. I don't know how to make a spoiler tag. I hope I edited this in in time if you don't want to read it!

I saw the movie but have not read the book.

What stood out to me (continues to) ... is that the persecutors would horribly torture the flock ... then told the priest that it was his own pride and refusal to step on the image that was causing their suffering.

I agree with the writer of the article that (1) we should fear God, not man and (2) God can do more for them (perhaps we can too in our deaths) than we can do in our lives.

But the confusing point was that it was pride that led to suffering of others. A Christian would have a hard time justifying this, if that's what they believed. I believe the charge of pride was really a temptation. It wasn't pride it was faithfulness and steadfastness. But it can be difficult to think clearly in the face of torture, fear, and suffering.

I don't condemn the (fictional?) character? The story represents a confusing situation.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0