Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(BACKGROUND) I recently saw some illustrations by a man called Ted Nasmith. I liked some of his artwork. Some of his art is about a book called The Silmarillion. He's done a lot of work for Tolkien's books.

I have a basic knoweldge of The Lord of the Rings from when I was young. I thought it might be nice to read the books and also The Silmarillion but I happened to find this essay. It doesn't outright say do not read Tolkien but it implies his works are not good for Christianity.

I know a lot of people love Tolkien's books. What do you think of this essay? It's a long read btw but this is a shortened version.

The Sad Truth Of Tolkien Spirituality | The Sacred Sandwich

If you do not agree with and/or like the essay, please still try and give some positive thoughts. I don't know much about the author or the website it is posted on.

Thanks
Based on the opening sentences I don't think much about it. It is pure guilt by association. It reminds me of the kinds of articles and TV shows during the Satanic panic of the 1980s that said all kinds of crazy stuff about Dungeons and Dragons. I actually have an opposite view based on the Christian book, "Finding Common Ground" which talks about the need for Christians to try to "take back the culture". I also have done some threads on this sort of thing like the one below.

Upvote 0