Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You know that the term "Lord's Day" found in Rev 1 - means "week-day-1" and replaces the 7th day as the new Sabbath -- because the text tells you that? -- or is this the appeal to "tradition"??
Yes, Christian texts are clear about this. The Didache, a first century Christian text of the teachings of the Twelve, explains that the Lord's Day was the day for gathering for Eucharist. Ignatius wrote before the first century ended that the Lord's Day was NOT the Sabbath. From Ignatius' letter to the Magnesiums (considered by scholar to be authentic) "no longer observing Sabbaths but fashioning their lives after the Lord's Day."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The solemnity of the Sabbath was switched to the Lord's Day in the first century,

Is that a preference? a guess? a Bible text??
Do you have a text for "week-day-1 is the Lord's Day"? or is that also a guess? a preference?

Is this guess... added to guess??

"Solemnity" as in "morally binding obligation"??

Because violating a morally binding obligation - is sin if that obligation comes from th Law of God. "Sin IS transgression of the Law" 1 John 3:4

The solemnity of the Sabbath was switched to the Lord's Day in the first century, as the Lord's Day is mentioned in Revelation, and we know the Lord's day refers to the first day (or eighth day)--the day that Christ arose. This was centuries before there was a canon of the New Testament.

You know that the term "Lord's Day" found in Rev 1 - means "week-day-1" and replaces the 7th day as the new Sabbath -- because the text tells you that? -- or is this the appeal to "tradition"??

Yes, Christian texts are clear about this. The Didache, a first century Christian text of the teachings of the Twelve, explains that the Lord's Day was the day for gathering for Eucharist.

Didache - I have heard of it. Apparently Eusebius (c. 324) had also heard of it.

The Didache is mentioned by Eusebius (c. 324) as the Teachings of the Apostles following the books recognized as canonical:[21]

"Let there be placed among the spurious works the Acts of Paul, the so-called Shepherd and the Apocalypse of Peter, and besides these the Epistle of Barnabas, and what are called the Teachings of the Apostles, (Didache) and also the Apocalypse of John, if this be thought proper; for as I wrote before, some reject it, and others place it in the canon."

Everyone has a preference - I prefer the actual Bible in which we do not find " the Lord's Day is mentioned in Revelation, and we know the Lord's day refers to the first day (or eighth day)"

Ignatius wrote before the first century ended that the Lord's Day was NOT the Sabbath. From Ignatius' letter to the Magnesiums (considered by scholar to be authentic) "no longer observing Sabbaths but fashioning their lives after the Lord's Day."

So many of supposed Ignatius letters are now confirmed as fakes/forgeries -- I think I prefer the Bible.

Upvote 0