United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mark 7:9
And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

Mark 2:27
Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man,

John 15:10
If you keep the commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

Matthew 19:17
“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here is the first Sunday Law in history, a legal enactment by Constantine 1 (reigned 306-331):

"On the Venerable Day of the Sun ["venerabili die Solis"--the sacred day of the Sun] let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost…”

Given the 7th day of March, [A.D. 321], Crispus and Constantine being consuls each of them for the second time."--The First Sunday Law of Constantine 1, in "Codex Justinianus," lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Phillip Schaff "History of the Christian Church," Vol. 3, p. 380.

Sabbath Judaizers
The Council of Laodicea of around 365 AD decreed 59 laws, #29:
Christians must not Judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honoring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be Judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

Sabbath and the law

Romans 3:31. KJV
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Romans 3:31. NIV
Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

Do you uphold the law by keeping the Sabbath?

There are the laws of God, and there were the laws of the Pharisees. It was the laws and traditions of the Pharisees that Christ spoke against. Knowing the commands of God is a good teacher for living in the spirit of love.

1 John 5:3.
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

2 John 1:6.
And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

Look, the ones keeping the commandments are the ones getting into heaven.

Revelation 12:17.
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Yahshua Christ.

Revelation 14:12.
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Yahshua.

Revelation 22:14.
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Christ and the disciples preached the keeping of the commands of God, but yet many who call themselves Christian seem to be teaching another message.

Grace: (In the Christian belief,) the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.

God's grace does not mean that you are to keep sinning by breaking God's commands.

Matthew 4:4.
Yahshua answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Exodus 20:8.
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

• Informative
Reactions: Long Beard
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Disciples of Christ taught the keeping of The Ten Commandments.

Romans 13:9
The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

Exodus 20:8
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

The Ten Commandments
Protestant: First
Catholic: Second
Hebrew: third

1Pr. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

1Ca. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

1He. I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

2Pr.Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and (keep my commandments).

2Ca.Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

2He.Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; And showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and (keep My commandments).

3Pr.Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

3Ca.Remember thou keep the Sabbath Day.

3He.Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.

4Pr. (Remember) the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

4Ca. Honor thy Father and thy Mother.

4He.(Remember)the sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work. But the seventh day is the sabbath in honor of the Lord thy God; on it thou shalt not do any work, neither thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe I am experienceing Forum Blur, but this IS the Messianic folder and NOT the SDA folder, right?

The Sabbath was required of Israel (the Jews) and no one else.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe I am experienceing Forum Blur, but this IS the Messianic folder and NOT the SDA folder, right?

The Sabbath was required of Israel (the Jews) and no one else.
The Sabbath Day Rest was first given to Adam and Eve (Mankind.) A Judean was any person of the faith.

Esther 8:17
In every province and in every city to which the edict of the king came, there was joy and gladness among the Jews, with feasting and celebrating. And many people of other nationalities became Jews because fear of the Jews had seized them.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Sabbath Day Rest was first given to Adam and Eve (Mankind.) A Judean was any person of the faith.

In every province and in every city to which the edict of the king came, there was joy and gladness among the Jews, with feasting and celebrating. And many people of other nationalities became Jews because fear of the Jews had seized them.

Technically that verse just says that the "...became Jews...." That does not mean that all they had to do was be a "person of faith". It could also imply that they became Jews by the typical conversion process.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There is no indication it was “given” to anyone before the Exodus. It was there, yes. But not “given.”

Ex. 31.17 says it is a sign between God and the “sons of Israel.”

It was there, and it was given to Israel ONLY.
Since this is NOT the SDA forum I can say that it is not REQUIRED of gentiles, including gentile believers.

And NO, Jews were not just those who believed. Formal conversion to Judaism included becoming part of the physical dependents of Jacob.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is no indication it was “given” to anyone before the Exodus. It was there, yes. But not “given.”

Since this is NOT the SDA forum I can say that it is not REQUIRED of gentiles, including gentile believers.

And NO, Jews were not just those who believed. Formal conversion to Judaism included becoming part of the physical dependents of Jacob.
Exodus 20:6

And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Exodus 20:8

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

Exodus 31:17-16

Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Romans 9:6

It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.

Revelation 12:17

And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

True and False Disciples
Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!’

God's will is that we keep His commands.

Matthew 5:19

I have noticed that Matthew 5:19 is not correctly translated. The word (THESE) follows the word (commands) in the original text.

of these” should read “of the” ( TWN / TON )

“These” is referring to people, not the commands.

5130 / toutwn / touton: genitive case plural masculine or neuter of outoV - houtos 3778; of (from or concerning) these (persons or things):--such, their, these (things), they, this sort, those.

See Matthew 5:19 link: Online Greek Interlinear Bible

Matthew 5:19

Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands, and teaches others accordingly, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This is how Matthew 5:19 should read:

Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of the commands, and those teaching others accordingly, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pisidian Antioch in the Roman Empire
Acts 13
13 From Paphos, Paul and his companions sailed to Perga in Pamphylia, where John left them to return to Jerusalem. 14 From Perga they went on to Pisidian Antioch. On the Sabbath they entered the synagogue and sat down. 15 After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”16 Standing up, Paul motioned with his hand and said: “Fellow Israelites and you Gentiles who worship God, listen to me!

44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. 45 When the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy. They began to contradict what Paul was saying and heaped abuse on him.
46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.

48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

The first Gentile converts kept the Sabbath, and so therefore it was not an issue.

The biblical term "proselyte" is an anglicization of the Koine Greek term προσήλυτος/proselytos, as used in the Greek Old Testament for "stranger", i.e. a "newcomer to Israel"; a "sojourner in the land", and in the Greek New Testament for a first century convert to Judaism, generally from Ancient Greek religion. It is a translation of the Biblical Hebrew phrase גר תושב/ ger toshav.

Judaize

YLT

Galatians 2:14
But when I saw that they are not walking uprightly to the truth of the good news, I said to Peter before all, `If thou, being a Jew, in the manner of the nations dost live, and not in the manner of the Jews, how the nations dost thou compel to Judaize?

Galatians 2:14
But when I saw that they were not walking uprightly according to the truth of the good news, I said to Peter before everyone, If you, being a Jew live in the manner of the nations, and not in the manner of the Jews, then how will you compel the nations to Judaize?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeshua claimed the Sabbath was made for man not just the Jews.

To be fair Yeshua was talking to the Jews so there would have not been a reason to specify in this passage.

*note, I am not arguing that one should not participate in sabbath observance. I am simply pointing a matter in the scripture quoted.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To be fair Yeshua was talking to the Jews so there would have not been a reason to specify in this passage.

*note, I am not arguing that one should not participate in sabbath observance. I am simply pointing a matter in the scripture quoted.
Isaiah 66:23 New International Version (NIV)
23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This is such a silly argument.

Might as well reject the New Covenant then, because it was given ONLY to Israel. The New Covenant is NOT made with Gentiles.

• Agree
Reactions: CherubRam
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 66:23 New International Version (NIV)
23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord.

I have always understood that passage, in context, to be speaking of the world to come, the Messianic age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have always understood that passage, in context, to be speaking of the world to come, the Messianic age.
Yes, that is correct; and it shows the people of the world are unified in keeping the Sabbath Command.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, that is correct; and it shows the people of the world are unified in keeping the Sabbath Command.
But we are not doing everything now that will be done at that time. Maybe this is one of those things, maybe this isn't - but that's why the passages can't be used to support the idea that Gentiles are beholden to the Sabbath right now.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But we are not doing everything now that will be done at that time. Maybe this is one of those things, maybe this isn't - but that's why the passages can't be used to support the idea that Gentiles are beholden to the Sabbath right now.
The Sunday Sabbath was introduced by Pagans. The first Christians kept a Seventh Day Sabbath according to the command. As a matter of fact, it was made against the law for Christians to keep the Sabbath Command.

(Sabbath keeping Christians were anathematized as heretics and became martyrs.)

Sabbath Judaizers
The Council of Laodicea of around 365 decreed 59 laws, #29:
Christians must not Judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honoring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be Judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

Judaizers were found by sending people out on Saturday to search for them. They would look for people congregating, and then proceed to search for religious text upon the persons for states evidence.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Sunday Sabbath was introduced by Pagans. The first Christians kept a Seventh Day Sabbath according to the command. As a matter of fact, it was made against the law for Christians to keep the Sabbath Command.

(Sabbath keeping Christians were anathematized as heretics and became martyrs.)

Sabbath Judaizers
The Council of Laodicea of around 365 decreed 59 laws, #29:

Judaizers were found by sending people out on Saturday to search for them. They would look for people congregating, and then proceed to search for religious text upon the persons for states evidence.

I am well aware of that information. I was simply pointing out that the passages quoted could not be used in the manner you were doing so when taken in context. I am not arguing that the original Christians did not follow Jewish custom. I would argue that, at this time, Gentiles are not bound to keep the Sabbath in the same way that Jews are. I would also remind that this forum's SOP allows us the flexibility to keep the Law as we believe Yeshua desires us to, and how to keep the Sabbath is up to the MJ believer.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would argue that, at this time, Gentiles are not bound to keep the Sabbath in the same way that Jews are.
Since Gentiles were grafted into the natural olive tree of Israel and are now part of the commonwealth of Israel, then they are subject to the same laws as Israel. Those laws are written on the hearts and minds of Gentiles under the New Covenant. Jewish converts belong to the same Body as Gentile converts. Yeshua does not have different laws for Jews and Gentiles within the same Body. If Jewish believers are to keep Shabbat, so are Gentile believers.

• Winner
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0