Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really want to agree with you on this because I am totally against religious doctrines that get people bogged down with religious doctrines that will profit nothing except to create more bondage.
I think a key is in the word 'new' in New Testament. :)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I really want to agree with you on this because I am totally against religious doctrines that get people bogged down with religious doctrines that will profit nothing except to create more bondage.

What you call bondage I call freedom

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
PS: Hebrews 7.12 and Hebrews 7.19 are a key also.

Of course...there is no Temple so no sacrifices...were the 10 Commandments destroyed with the Temple?
The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath...He did not say it was made for Jews.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The word Saturday is from Saturns day...pagan. The Russian word is Subota...from Sabbath.
Spanish is similar, using 'Sabado' (if I spelled it correctly). Literally 'the sabbath'.

And the Sabbath has not been changed. What has changed is the worship of God on the day of resurrection. The Sabbath is still the Sabbath, observed or not.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
as an aside: the Sabbath has never been Sunday, it's only ever been from sundown Friday to sundown on Saturday. There have been attempts by the Church to try and make Sunday a substitute Sabbath,but that was a tradition and isn't something found in Scriptures. What IS found in Scripture is the whole "let's not judge others because of this". :wave:
tulc(doesn't mean to belabor this, but he's been through a couple of battles that got pretty...heated about this subject) :sigh:

• Winner
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
as an aside: the Sabbath has never been Sunday, it's only ever been from sundown Friday to sundown on Saturday. There have been attempts by the Church to try and make Sunday a substitute Sabbath,but that was a tradition and isn't something found in Scriptures. What IS found in Scripture is the whole "let's not judge others because of this". :wave:
tulc(doesn't mean to belabor this, but he's been through a couple of battles that got pretty...heated about this subject) :sigh:
Well as I was saying I have never studied this or researched any subject matter to it because I grew up always going to church on Sunday and never questioned why. Do you have any reference or reading material to suggest?

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So by NOT keeping the Sabbath, you are actually keeping it better than someone who does keep the Sabbath...??
When Jesus came, He made the 10 Commandments all about what goes on in the heart.
For example,
No idols or graven images is now to not set them up in your heart.
No adultery is now don't even look at a woman to lust after her.
No killing is now don't hate.
And the Sabbath is now a matter of the heart as well, not about a certain day.
Do you honestly believe that God is concerned with outward obedience?
I would bet today's 7th day Sabbath advocates would say the Pharisees kept the Sabbath.
They may have outwardly, but not the way God intended.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am trying to do some research on what day the Sabbath was originally honored and when did it change if it changed and does it matter?
The sabbath was for Jews to rest from their works.
It was a Saturday.
Today, gentiles do not keep the sabbath because everyday is the sabbath in Jesus Christ.
We rest in him. He is lord over the sabbath meaning He is above the law (creator over created) and we are no longer to abide in the law but in Him, Christ Jesus.
Sabbath was made for man, (rest) but not man for the sabbath (rules)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think a key is in the word 'new' in New Testament. :)

Yes, the New Brit! He will put His Laws IN our hearts! Love The Almighty and love your neighbor...on these 2 hang all The Law and Prophets. These 2 Commandments summarize the 10, the first 4 to love The Almighty and the last 6 to love your neighbor. This was for Jews (although most rejected it)...however, as Shaul says, gentiles are grafted in through faith, so don't boast!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus came, He made the 10 Commandments all about what goes on in the heart.
For example,
I would bet today's 7th day Sabbath advocates would say the Pharisees kept the Sabbath.
Couldn’t put it better

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For example,

Absolutely! What comes from the heart goes into action. That was the whole point! Faith without works is dead.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The sabbath was for Jews to rest from their works.
It was a Saturday.
Today, gentiles do not keep the sabbath because everyday is the sabbath in Jesus Christ.
We rest in him. He is lord over the sabbath meaning He is above the law (creator over created) and we are no longer to abide in the law but in Him, Christ Jesus.
Sabbath was made for man, (rest) but not man for the sabbath (rules)

It was made FOR MAN, not just Jews. Look up the Hebrew for "mankind"...
Yeshua is not only above it He IS it! The Word became Man!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Jewish sabbath was and is from Friday at sunset till Saturday at sunset. One of the ten commandments it commemorated creation week and required that for one day there would be no work, even for beaats of burden. Christians started worshiping on Sunday, perhaps to avoid any legalistic trapping related to Mosaic law. The Sabbat rest according to the writter of Hebrews id faith in the completed work of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Sabbath Worship I fully believe we should all keep all Sabbath, but can never get answers from those that believe in Saturday worship only the answers to my questions: Is a Sabbath a Saturday or is Saturday a Sabbath with other days also Sabbaths like: Passover and the day of Atonement and every day in the year of Jubilee?

There is a weekly Sabbath, but the other Feast days are also Sabbaths or referred to as High Sabbaths when work was also to be avoided (John 19:31) .

Are Christians today to be like the regular Jews of the Old Testament or are we to be like the priestly tribe of the Old Testament?

There are many verses that refer to God's Law as being instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13 and Joshua 22:5, so obedience to His commands is not about being like Jews, but about reflecting the attributes of our God. For example, in 1 Peter 1:13-16, we are are not told to have a holy conduct in order to be like Jews, but because God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to have a holy conduct, and that straightforwardly involves keeping the Sabbath holy (Leviticus 19:1-3).

Are Christians today to be that nation of priests (Ex. 19:6, 1 Peter 2:9) and not just a Jewish like nation?

Gentiles are included among God's chosen people, but have not replaced them.

Did the Priests offer up even more sacrifices and were they doing more worshipping activities on the Sabbaths? If so were the Priests keeping the Sabbath Rest? Is worship to God “work” by God’s definition?

Yes, yes, and no. There are a number of instances where some of God's laws appear to contradict, such as when priest is required to do their duties on the Sabbath or when someone wants to circumcise their baby boy on the 8th day and it happens to fall on the Sabbath. However, it was not the case that they were forced to sin by breaking one of the two commands no matter what they chose to do, but that one of the commands was never intended to prevent the other one from being obeyed, and in this instance, the Sabbath was never intended to prevent priests from doing their duties or to prevent circumcision on the 8th day, so they were held innocent. In general no command was intended to be used as an excuse to avoid obeying the greatest two commands.

We know van worship is offering up to God obedience to man’s commands, so could righteous worship be offering up to God obedience to God’s commands?

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but submission to God is worship. There are a number of instances where the Bible says that someone bowed down a worshipped and it is not speaking about them bursting into song, but about submitting themselves to God.

If Christians are Priests, the temple of God, carrying the altar with them (cross), and constantly offering up themselves as a living sacrifice then: when are Christians not worshipping and should they ever stop?

Yes, we should worship God all the time through our actions, but this was just as true in the OT.

Did Christ expand the Old Testament commands to include our thoughts and lots more actions?

No, he did violate Deuteronomy 4:2. The OT contains the command not to covet, which pertains to our thoughts. His instructions not to have lustful thoughts towards a married woman is just the correct application of the 7th and 10th Commandments.

For the Priests what is the Sabbath Rest and so what is the Sabbath Rest to be for Christians?

The 7th day.

Some of the Jewish scholars prior to Christ seemed to have discussed (records are not perfect on this) that there was a coming “Age of Jubilee”, do you see that description fitting the Christian Dispensation we are part of?

No, that would be the Millenial reign.

I think the priests did follow the Sabbath Rest since “worship” is not work and the priests were to worship and not work all the time (the other Jews were to support them). By increasing the commands on Christians and providing a constant partner (the Spirit), Christian’s today can be in constant worship as long as what you are doing is in obedience to God’s commands and that obedience is offered up as worship, so we are in the Sabbath Rest. To suggest today we just do “Sabbath Rest” one day a week is also to suggest the other 6 days are ours?

It's good to worship all the time, but that doesn't mean that we should feel free to disobey God's commands, but rather we should worship God all the time through submitting to them.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Exodus 20:10 ...but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.

Have you been grafted in???

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am trying to do some research on what day the Sabbath was originally honored and when did it change if it changed and does it matter?

The 7th day Sabbath was kept by Jesus and his disciples throughout Acts and there is nothing in the Bible that points to the Sabbath being kept on a different day or that says that we should no longer keep it holy. The Catholic Catechism of Christian Doctrine takes credit for moving the Sabbath to Sunday, but they had no authority to countermand God, nor should we follow them instead of God.

Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I find it sadly amusing that Christians are debating on which day of the week they should set aside to honor and worship God.
How about all 7?
Seriously do you actually believe that God only wants your attention one day of the week? And heaven forbid you don't get the right day!
Oh my!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.