Feb 26, 2017
kansas/ montana
Visit site
✟19,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From Politico today- secular atheist Michael Shermer says that the rise of Trump is proof that the United States is moving towards atheism...
Who Cares if Trump Is Religious?
Unfortunately, its hard to disagree with him....the fact that Christians voted for Donald "grab them by the *****" Trump in the GOP primaries is an absolute disgrace.... The fact that they voted for him when their were 12 or 13 other principled Christian candidates to choose from (Bobby Jindal, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Rick Perry etc etc) makes it even more unforgivable....

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1) From what I hear, this next generation growing up right now will be the most conservative generation in the history of the U.S. Even more conservative than our grandparents were.

Is 'Generation Z' the most conservative since WW2? | Daily Mail Online

And I can't tell if you're just anti-Trump or if you're a democrat, but I'll share my personal experience and the experience of those around me. Donald Trump was NOT our first pick. There is so much more to the republican party than Christians. I remember the first guy I supported was either Rand Paul or Ben Carson. Then it was Kasich. It wasn't until well after Trump won the nomination that I gave my support to him.

Those comments were made over 11 years ago. Soooo, someone says something they regret and apologized for over 11 years ago, but it's okay to keep bashing them over the head with it? You've NEVER ONCE said something wrong? Had a bad thought? Maybe you were a different person 10 years ago and made some mistakes?

I get that you don't like the guy and never will, but it's not fair to attack Christians for supporting a guy who said something bad 10 years. I can guarantee you I've said something just as bad, if not worse, in the last ten years. The majority of people on this forum have.

For me in particular, it's not about Trump. It's the issues he brought up. You had Hillary on one side saying it's okay to have an abortion and kill a child at 9 months. You had Hillary calling everyone racist. Trump actually came to Michigan, my home state, where so many are hurting. He came multiple times. He went to black neighborhoods and to churches.

Hillary did not.
Gary Johnson did not.
Jill Stein did not.

Nearly everything he brought up to the promises he made spoke to me. Nominating a conservative supreme court judge, that was a big one. Someone who could fix the economy, Trump was doing that before he was even sworn in! Economy impacted BIGLY since he was elected. I felt we needed to get off the apology tour and show some strength on the world stage and he's succeeded so far.

Everyone said the world is laughing at us now because of Trump...no one is laughing right now.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From Politico today- secular atheist Michael Shermer says that the rise of Trump is proof that the United States is moving towards atheism...
Unfortunately, its hard to disagree with him....the fact that Christians voted for Donald "grab them by the *****" Trump in the GOP primaries is an absolute disgrace.... The fact that they voted for him when their were 12 or 13 other principled Christian candidates to choose from (Bobby Jindal, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Rick Perry etc etc) makes it even more unforgivable....
Politico is just a mouthpiece for the Democratic Party, so you can just about count on it to come up with a series of sensational "revelations" like this one. None of them has held up to scrutiny and this one doesn't either.

Only three presidents ago we had one in office for eight years who was impeached for trying to cover up for sex escapades far more distasteful than what you've said here about President Trump. And whom did the other party put up against Donald Trump? Why, it was the chief of cover-ups for that same president! President Obama wasn't known to have any particularly strong religious principles and seldom attended church services during his time in office. So, no.

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Certain groups of Christians obsess about false messiahs and Obama, government take overs, 666, and all kinds of silly nonsense... and then ran to vote for Trump. I will never understand how people who are convinced the devil is around every corner went to the polls en masse to elect Trump, and proudly so.

Trump never made himself out to be a Christian during his life. Only when he wanted to start playing president did he present himself as such. I don't care what religion a politican is - but I am disgusting by the mockery of faith I see put on by people interested in political office.

Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those comments were made over 11 years ago. Soooo, someone says something they regret and apologized for over 11 years ago, but it's okay to keep bashing them over the head with it? You've NEVER ONCE said something wrong? Had a bad thought? Maybe you were a different person 10 years ago and made some mistakes?

He didn't apologize. Let's stop right there. He never apologized for what he said.

He excused his behavior as locker room talk.

Donald Trump is a malignant narcissist. That's not by choice. He is incapable of feeling remorse. He does not apologize because he cannot undertand there existing a situation in which to apologize.

I get that you don't like the guy and never will, but it's not fair to attack Christians for supporting a guy who said something bad 10 years. I can guarantee you I've said something just as bad, if not worse, in the last ten years. The majority of people on this forum have.

But you actually apologize for it instead of making excuses.

For me in particular, it's not about Trump. It's the issues he brought up. You had Hillary on one side saying it's okay to have an abortion and kill a child at 9 months.

Hillary did not advocate abortion up to nine months.

You had Hillary calling everyone racist.

Hillary didn't call everyone racist.

Trump actually came to Michigan, my home state, where so many are hurting. He came multiple times. He went to black neighborhoods and to churches.

Hillary did not.
Gary Johnson did not.
Jill Stein did not.

Nearly everything he brought up to the promises he made spoke to me. Nominating a conservative supreme court judge, that was a big one. Someone who could fix the economy, Trump was doing that before he was even sworn in!

Trump did nothing before being sworn to improve the economy and he has done nothing since. The economy wasn't broken - unemployment was about as low as it can go in the US. The places that were hurting were centers of manufacturing that cannot compete on the global market.

Economy impacted BIGLY since he was elected.

The economy remains on the increase as it had under Obama - I cannot think of anything he has done to improve it.

Everyone said the world is laughing at us now because of Trump...no one is laughing right now.

Most of the world realizes what many of us feel - that our President is an embarassment elected because of an irrational hatred of Hillary Clinton. And Hillary Clinton, if she cared anything for this country, should never have run.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politico is just a mouthpiece for the Democratic Party, so you can just about count on it to come up with a series of sensational "revelations" like this one. None of them has held up to scrutiny and this one doesn't either.

Only three presidents ago we had one in office for eight years who was impeached for trying to cover up for sex escapades far more distasteful than what you've said here about President Trump.

Bill Clinton was impeached by a simple majority of the Republican House for acts similar to what high schoolers do in lieu of sex. Clinton stated, correctly, that he did not have sex with her. He was impeached for "lying" about having sex with a woman, by doing things that are not considered heterosexual sex.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Certain groups of Christians obsess about false messiahs and Obama, government take overs, 666, and all kinds of silly nonsense... and then ran to vote for Trump. I will never understand how people who are convinced the devil is around every corner went to the polls en masse to elect Trump, and proudly so.
This is not so hard to understand. Those people were upset about something (whether true or not) that they saw happening. Trump was the agent of change during the last election campaign (not unlike the role Obama chose for himself in 2008). Hillary was the professed candidate of "keeping on keeping on" and "staying the course." It's no surprise that millions of Americans who wanted a change for the better voted for the agent of change.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Bill Clinton was impeached by a simple majority of the Republican House for acts similar to what high schoolers do in lieu of sex.
Actually, he was impeached for committing perjury. That was the legal framework for doing something about a series of sexual aggressions against women who were victimized and it was nothing like "what high schoolers do."

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm curious about one thing, Obama got a lot of criticism for not attending church every Sunday, although I do believe he always managed to attend at least a few services, including Easter services. The challenge of logistics of getting the President and family to church every Sunday, security, challenges for the other members of the congregation, etc...were sometimes cited as explanation.

With Trump's embrace of his Christianity as evidenced in his campaign, I'm curious about he and his family manage to meet the obligation of regular church attendence? Does he have a home church, and is he able to worship regularly with his family? Did the Trump's attend Easter services in Washington DC or do they prefer to attend church in Florida or NYC? What denomination do they belong too, or are they flexible?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious about one thing, Obama got a lot of criticism for not attending church every Sunday, although I do believe he always managed to attend at least a few services, including Easter services. The challenge of logistics of getting the President and family to church every Sunday, security, challenges for the other members of the congregation, etc...were sometimes cited as explanation.
Consider that he never was particularly religious, having attended Rev. Wright's church when he was younger because of the pastor's racial teachings. And most presidents have attended church services on a much more frequent schedule than the Obamas did despite the same logistics.

Trump actually faces more of these security issues because previous presidents did not have scores of members of the opposition party following them around everywhere, trying to disrupt whatever event the president was involved with.

With Trump's embrace of his Christianity as evidenced in his campaign, I'm curious about he and his family manage to meet the obligation of regular church attendence? Does he have a home church, and is he able to worship regularly with his family? Did the Trump's attend Easter services in Washington DC or do they prefer to attend church in Florida or NYC? What denomination do they belong too, or are they flexible?
He has attended churches of different denominations, in Florida, New York, and elsewhere. He's a Presbyterian, but like previous presidents, does not confine his worship to his own denomination. The most recent attendance was, I believe, in an Episcopal church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

(shrugs) So, you think it's not disgraceful placing all Christians that voted for Trump into a box that Politico handed you? No offense, but you're easy to convince.

Trump - or anyone else - doesn't have the power to MOVE people to Atheism.

We could dream up a box for the other side that was running against him too. Plenty of negative attributes there. So, do we label the entire other side too?

Such nonsense.

I honestly felt Trump had no chance, and just like anyone else I was taken back by his win. Yet, I don't need the stereotypes personally. It leads to division, and quite frankly our country had to much of that even before Trump made it to the playing field.

There is only one thing mentioned in the bible as unforgivable. This isn't it.

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Consider that he never was particularly religious, having attended Rev. Wright's church when he was younger because of the pastor's racial teachings. And most presidents have attended church services on a much more frequent schedule than the Obamas did despite the same logistics.

Trump actually faces more of these security issues because previous presidents did not have scores of members of the opposition party following them around everywhere, trying to disrupt whatever event the president was involved with.

He has attended churches of different denominations, in Florida, New York, and elsewhere. He's a Presbyterian, but like previous presidents, does not confine his worship to his own denomination. The most recent attendance was, I believe, in an Episcopal church.
Well, I'm happy that he has at least recently chosen an Episcopal church. Was that before or after he was sworn in?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Scripture says the whole world is moving towards one world religion.
And it sure looks like it more every day.

i.e. COME QUICKLY JESUS !
Rule on earth,
God, execute Your Vengeance quickly on those who have wickedly shed blood!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
On November 8th we had two choices: "I'm With Her" or "Make America Great Again." The first was about herself, the second about this country. The choice was easy.
Sure,
but it was God who made it,
as God says HE puts in place who HE wants to (not related to their righteousness nor their lack of righteousness),
and God says HE brings down who HE wants to. (HE does not leave it up to men).

Likewise, remember the first 6 to 9 months last year ? > A lot of the news from D.C. was
that the "choice" of a voter doesn't make any difference in the outcome. (as they have known in D.C. for generations).

The decision, even in "man's" eyes, as well as by God's Word,
was
made before the process even started.

Upvote 0

white gardenia

Feb 26, 2017
kansas/ montana
Visit site
✟19,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is 'Generation Z' the most conservative since WW2? | Daily Mail Online

And I can't tell if you're just anti-Trump or if you're a democrat, but I'll share my personal experience and the experience of those around me. Donald Trump was NOT our first pick. There is so much more to the republican party than Christians. I remember the first guy I supported was either Rand Paul or Ben Carson. Then it was Kasich. It wasn't until well after Trump won the nomination that I gave my support to him.

I get that you don't like the guy and never will, but it's not fair to attack Christians for supporting a guy who said something bad 10 years. I can guarantee you I've said something just as bad, if not worse, in the last ten years.

But theres a couple of things im guessing you've never said....trump had said that he has never asked God for forgiveness...

I'm guessing (hoping) that you have never said that...in fact I'm all but certain that trump is the only person in the history of US politics to say he has never asked God for forgiveness...

Another thing im hoping that you've never done is write a book where you brag about committing adultery ...(see The Art of the Comeback by Donald J Trump)

But back to the comment about not asking God for forgiveness...This was not a comment made 11 years ago....this was a comment made in the 2016 republican primaries. Trump made that comment when he was polling at the top of the republican field...and guess where he was polling the next day? Exactly the same place, right at the top of the republican field....
so let the record state- the christian conservative community had no problem with the most amoral arrogant man in the history of us electoral politics...in fact they loved his shock tactics and his bad behavior...the worse he behaved the higher he rose in the polls.

• Agree
Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
so let the record state- the christian conservative community had no problem with the most amoral arrogant man in the history of us electoral politics...in fact they loved his shock tactics and his bad behavior...the worse he behaved the higher he rose in the polls.
There were a lot in the past as bad or worse , as much as we can tell, throughout the whole system. Trump, if he did as you say, which is possible of course, simply caught your attention. If you look into the history, you will find a lot more, a lot worse, for a long,long time.(especially if you are able to look at the power behind the government all along).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
so let the record state- the christian conservative community had no problem with the most amoral arrogant man in the history of us electoral politics
When anyone resorts to using that kind of "over the top" talk, it instantly negates anything that he or she said previously that I might have sympathized with. I immediately think, "this is something said by a real partisan and should not be taken at face value."

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump is obviously not a conservative evangelical, but I find the characterization of him as "irreligious" is missing the mark. I grew up with similar religious sentiments, and I wouldn't have characterized my upbringing as irreligious.

Upvote 0