The "Righteous" Lie (Lying is always a sin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would argue that the Bible teaches us that lying is a sin, and that there are no exceptions to this. Would someone with the opposing viewpoint, that lying can sometimes be considered righteous in the eyes of God, care to debate the topic?
I've been trying to understand why some Christians think that lying is not sinful in certain situations, because the Bible clearly condemns lying and does not give any exceptions to the rule.

I am hoping to engage in friendly debate with another Christian on this topic in two or three rounds, posted bi-weekly at least and limited to 500-1000 words per post (although I am pretty flexible on these terms). I would take the affirmative position (that lying is always a sin) and begin the debate. Is anyone interested?

- Lukamu

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would argue that the Bible teaches us that lying is a sin, and that there are no exceptions to this. Would someone with the opposing viewpoint, that lying can sometimes be considered righteous in the eyes of God, care to debate the topic?
I've been trying to understand why some Christians think that lying is not sinful in certain situations, because the Bible clearly condemns lying and does not give any exceptions to the rule.

I am hoping to engage in friendly debate with another Christian on this topic in two or three rounds, posted bi-weekly at least and limited to 500-1000 words per post (although I am pretty flexible on these terms). I would take the affirmative position (that lying is always a sin) and begin the debate. Is anyone interested?

- Lukamu

I know Doctors tell people going into surgery that the chances for getting better are greater than they really are. To encourage a person to be more positive is their reasoning.

As a Christian In all my surgeries only one doctor has ever prayed before I went in. That encouraged me knowing he was relying on Gods guidance for his job. I would always rather know the truth.

Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I kind of think in this fallen world we are backed into a corner, so some things would obviously be the 'better' thing to do. Like it would be far worse to give up an innocent person into the hands of a perpetrator, than to lie about it. If that would make you on the same grounds with that person, a lie would be the better sin.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You bring up good points, which I think everyone would benefit from if we had a discussion about it. We don't need to have a formal debate setup. We can have a formal debate thread with responses back and forth about the question. That's probably the best way to "talk things out" and see what the Bible says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris Tan

Feb 16, 2016
Singapore
✟7,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Then I would simply question their faith of calling themselves a Christian if they take that stand that "lying is not sinful in certain cases". Unbelievable.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This forum is for proposing one on one debates; if we are interested in this type of discussion, I can set it up, otherwise this is off topic. Let me know and if no one wants to tackle a one on one, I can move this to a more appropriate forum.

Mark
CF Admin

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I will accept this challenge.

I agree to the terms laid out and don't mind if you go first, I will respond second. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

- Lukamu

I agree to the terms laid out and don't mind if you go first, I will respond second. :)

I will be glad to set this up; providing that @Lukamu is still interested. :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

newnature22

Dec 7, 2015
Salem, OR
✟15,127.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If you thought previously that the successful Christian life was all about reformed doing and commitments, you have gotten it wrong according to the apostle Paul. It is all about transformed thinking. According to our apostle, the battle is taking place between the ears, between fleshy thinking and divine thinking. God’s work in us, not our work for God, major difference.

Upvote 0

Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe that lying is acceptable, but I will take the opposing viewpoint for the sake of the discussion itself.

I will be glad to set this up; providing that @Lukamu is still interested. :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:
Hi everyone, sorry for not responding (back in January to aggie). I've been taking a break from CF for a while, but received a note in my email that someone was willing to discuss this. I am still willing to debate the topic given the conditions that I set forth earlier:
Thanks for reviving interest in this topic!
- Lukamu

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone, sorry for not responding (back in January to aggie). I've been taking a break from CF for a while, but received a note in my email that someone was willing to discuss this. I am still willing to debate the topic given the conditions that I set forth earlier:

Thanks for reviving interest in this topic!
- Lukamu

I agree....a mod will get this started soon :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Proposed Stipulations; please look these over and we can discuss any changes or amendments as may be required:

1. Title: The "Righteous" Lie (Lying is always a sin)
  2. Topic: The Bible teaches us that lying is a sin, and that there are no exceptions.
  3. Participants: @Lukamu will be affirming the topic; @ewq1938 will represent the opposing view.
  4. Number of Rounds: Three alternating rounds with Lukamu making the opening post.
  5. Post Length: Maximum Length; 1000 words per post.
  6. Time Between Posts: Two weeks maximum
  7. References: All reference material will be allowed, but quotes must comply with CF's copyright rule which can be found here: Community Rules
  8. Rules: All of the Community Rules continue to apply.
  9. Start Date: To be decided.
  10. A "Peanut Gallery" thread will be set up in Ethics & Morality for those not directly involved in this debate, but who wish to discuss this topic and the progress of the debate itself.
Once you guys have affirmed these stipulations, I will create the threads.

Let me know your thoughts please:).

Mark
CF Admin

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.