The richest states voted Democrat. The poorest states voted Republican.

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
And just adding more regulations to every area of life. The virus has illustrated how the left is willing to take away constitutionally guaranteed rights.
I'm sorry, which party has been trying to reverse Roe v. Wade for decades? Which party fought, tooth and nail, to stop same-sex marriage, and would reverse the decision in a heartbeat if they could? Because it's not the Democrats.

The Right is perfectly willing to take away liberties or limit freedoms when it suits their agenda.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Who needs those liberal colleges and universities anyways (except for watching college football).
As I wrote about the connection between religious and political conservatism and the attitude of submission to authoritarian forces, I thought that the value of an education would be obvious.

If college teaches people to be independent thinkers who are able to make useful contributions to their churches, communities, and country, and also to express opinions, be lifelong learners, to value relationships and collaboration, and to respect others, those are valuable lessons.

I guess life is easier in a way if you just blindly follow some authority figure without ever doing the hard work of thinking for yourself, but it is not a life that is fully lived.

Get active. Participate in lifetime sports yourself. Wasting every Saturday in front of a TV screen watching college football is nowhere near as exciting or fulfilling.

I'm 71 years old and I exercise every day, and I love it. I am not in a state of rebellion against authority figures, but they only "inform" my judgment, not "replace" it. Clearly some who are in authority are completely unworthy of respect or allegiance, and, if you have taught yourself discernment it is easy to spot them.

The president is one such unworthy authority figure. He is too far gone to be a fixer-upper. He needs to be replaced.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I wrote about the connection between religious and political conservatism and the attitude of submission to authoritarian forces, I thought that the value of an education would be obvious.

If college teaches people to be independent thinkers who are able to make useful contributions to their churches, communities, and country, and also to express opinions, be lifelong learners, to value relationships and collaboration, and to respect others, those are valuable lessons.

I guess life is easier in a way if you just blindly follow some authority figure without ever doing the hard work of thinking for yourself, but it is not a life that is fully lived.

Get active. Participate in lifetime sports yourself. Wasting every Saturday in front of a TV screen watching college football is nowhere near as exciting or fulfilling.

I'm 71 years old and I exercise every day, and I love it. I am not in a state of rebellion against authority figures, but they only "inform" my judgment, not "replace" it. Clearly some who are in authority are completely unworthy of respect or allegiance, and, if you have taught yourself discernment it is easy to spot them.

The president is one such unworthy authority figure. He is too far gone to be a fixer-upper. He needs to be replaced.
To imply that if you don't go to college you can't be those things is really quite foolish and ignorant.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
They were not your thoughts although you wrote them in response to my post?
Personally, I think a good education is one of the most important things in life.

i'm not the one who said

You mean those who have attended liberal colleges... lots of people get educated right out of their common sense.
There's a difference between having a degree and being smart.

Implying that education (at liberal colleges) makes people dumb ("lots of people get educated right out of their common sense")

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, which party has been trying to reverse Roe v. Wade for decades? Which party fought, tooth and nail, to stop same-sex marriage, and would reverse the decision in a heartbeat if they could? Because it's not the Democrats.

The Right is perfectly willing to take away liberties or limit freedoms when it suits their agenda.
Murdering children isn't a right. Neither is" marrying" your brother or sister or dog or a person of the same sex

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Murdering children isn't a right. Neither is" marrying" your brother or sister or dog or a person of the same sex
You can call it whatever your religion tells you to call it. The Constitution says women have a right to an abortion and that same-sex couples have a right to marriage. Republicans try to limit those rights and others all the time, so don't pretend that their all about freedom any more than the Democrats. Both sides try to get around the Constitution and limit freedoms according to their ideology.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Implying that education (at liberal colleges) makes people dumb ("lots of people get educated right out of their common sense")
College is supposed to be for learning facts, not indoctrination. But it's a fact that the majority of college professors lean left and aren't shy about showing it.
I'm not against education. I'm against indoctrination into anti American, anti God views.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can call it whatever your religion tells you to call it. The Constitution says women have a right to an abortion and that same-sex couples have a right to marriage. Republicans try to limit those rights and others all the time, so don't pretend that their all about freedom any more than the Democrats. Both sides try to get around the Constitution and limit freedoms according to their ideology.
The left has is constantly about more government and more laws.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
The left has is constantly about more government and more laws.
So does the Right. Over the past decades, I've grown up being told by the Right who I can marry, what I can read, what games I can play, what movies I can watch, what medical procedures I can have, where and how I can vote, et cetera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Democrats are the party of the educated. The educated usually enjoy higher incomes.

You mean because they're largely civil servants that believe in creating BIG GOVERNMENT and also not understanding end up bankrupting their states paying there big pension liability entitlement programs?

Despite their seeming self-reliance, Republicans favor authoritarian personalities--.....

Absolute total nonsense and the very opposite is true. Dems favour BIG GOVERNMENT, federalizing everything which in turn can lead very easily to tyranny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For example, there were some contractors who attended my church. I asked how to navigate the ropes to getting a building permit here. Where I'm from, it's a big deal. Often they expect bribes to get one.

They asked me what I was building. I said a barn. I was told I didn't need a permit. I explained that this wasn't going to be a shed. It was going to be a large two story structure that you could park a full size truck in, and still have plenty of room to work on it, with electricity. One said, "build it." I said I don't want to get into any trouble. He asked, "it's your land; isn't it?" I said yes. He asked again, "you own it?" I said yes. He said, "it's your land; do what you want with it. Why ask for permission?"

You don't need permission to home school here. They're your children. The State can't force vaccines on your here. It's your body. You can shoot your guns on your property here, if it's done safely. Conceal and carry permit? Easier than getting a drivers license. There is no State income tax. As a matter of fact, political offices are a part time job here. The people here believe in small government.

There is no law that says that I must file for a permit. How is not requiring me to ask permission to do as I wish with my own property, "cutting me a break?"

I don’t know where you live, but I’d bet money that that’s not true and that those contractors gave you bad information. Virtually every jurisdiction adopts a whole suite of international building and related codes as a baseline and then makes modifications to them as they see fit. Those permit requirements are written into those baseline codes. Whether or not your area chooses to enforce those rules is another matter.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I don’t know where you live, but I’d bet money that that’s not true and that those contractors gave you bad information.

They are builders. They build homes for a living. That's what they do. I'm not a betting man; but I doubt that you know their thriving lifelong businesses, better than they do.

See? You're behaving the way that I was behaving, before I realized that I was free. I couldn't believe it either.

Virtually every jurisdiction adopts a whole suite of international building and related codes as a baseline and then makes modifications to them as they see fit.

It's not a virtual barn. It has been there for about eight years. The county knows it's there. I pay higher property taxes now because of it.

Where I'm from, if I built that without a permit; the county would have ordered me to tear it down. If I didn't quickly comply; they would have torn it down, and charged me for the demolition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ruth Bader Ginsberg, a Jewish woman leading an exemplary life, had never been taught that abortion was "murdering children," and, without having been indoctrinated in that belief by an authoritarian entity she followed, would have been unable to jump to that conclusion herself.

She showed her pro life beliefs by fighting for equality and human rights for all, no exceptions; by nursing her husband through cancer as a young mother.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm against indoctrination into anti American, anti God views.

Umm...will there be a commission or other bureaucratic agencies set up to “decide” just what, exactly, these things are?
Because I don’t want the government telling me what I can and cannot think.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They are builders. They build homes for a living. That's what they do. I'm not a betting man; but I doubt that you know their thriving lifelong businesses, better than they do.

Builders skip out on permits all the time, even where enforcement is strict.

See? You're behaving the way that I was behaving, before I realized that I was free. I couldn't believe it either.

I don’t equate lack of oversight with freedom. Even Christianity teaches that there is freedom to be found in limitations.

It's not a virtual barn. It has been there for about eight years. The county knows it's there. I pay higher property taxes now because of it.

Where I'm from, if I built that without a permit; the county would have ordered me to tear it down. If I didn't quickly comply; they would have torn it down, and charged me for the demolition.
Again, enforcement != rules.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
From the same group that thinks “wealthy land-baron/TV star playboy, suddenly turned Republican, Donald J Trump” is going to help them in their fight with “liberal elitists”!

Upvote 0