Kim R

Jun 26, 2016
Albequerque TX
✟21,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please help me, I am going crazy. Why does the parable of the Rich Young Ruler appear to teach works based salvation? When the Rich Young Ruler asked Jesus what he must do for eternal life, WHY DOES JESUS GIVE HIM A WORK TO DO (sell all his possessions and follow Jesus)? Why didn't Jesus give him the correct answer, which is "believe in me"? If this passage is teaching works salvation then the Rich Ruler and I are both going to hell because I am guilty of the same thing. God asked me to give something up and I refused, my attitude was like, "no, salvation is free". I've learned salvation is NOT free. I even remember God warning me that I would go to hell if I didn't give this thing up. Very scary. I have gone to countless pastors and others in leadership and NO ONE CAN EXPLAIN THE PARABLE OF THE RICH RULER!! WHY?! I haven't felt God's presence or heard His voice in 12 years so I wouldn't be surprised if I was damned.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Please help me, I am going crazy. Why does the parable of the Rich Young Ruler appear to teach works based salvation? When the Rich Young Ruler asked Jesus what he must do for eternal life, WHY DOES JESUS GIVE HIM A WORK TO DO (sell all his possessions and follow Jesus)? Why didn't Jesus give him the correct answer, which is "believe in me"? If this passage is teaching works salvation then the Rich Ruler and I are both going to hell because I am guilty of the same thing. God asked me to give something up and I refused, my attitude was like, "no, salvation is free". I've learned salvation is NOT free. I even remember God warning me that I would go to hell if I didn't give this thing up. Very scary. I have gone to countless pastors and others in leadership and NO ONE CAN EXPLAIN THE PARABLE OF THE RICH RULER!! WHY?! I haven't felt God's presence or heard His voice in 12 years so I wouldn't be surprised if I was damned.

Do you recall Christ's statement of take up your cross and follow me? Dispensing of his wealth was his cross. It was the one thing he couldn't relinquish.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have gone to countless pastors and others in leadership and NO ONE CAN EXPLAIN THE PARABLE OF THE RICH RULER!! WHY?
Did any of these pastors or leaders have access to the internet or a Bible commentary or was it that they felt that you were not ready to receive the answer to your question.
Why did Jesus tell the rich young ruler he could be saved by obeying the commandments?

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was testing him because He could see that he trusted in his riches.

Upvote 0