The reward for doing their part in world war 2 was deportation.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The secret deportations: how Britain betrayed the Chinese men who served the country in the war

They were deported without time to tell their families or access to legal appeal. Their families were not even informed by the authorities that they were deported.
They were not the only ones betrayed. I believe also the Cossacks were betrayed Britain and the U.S. because they fought against Russia to remain free. Then that is war. All is expediency.
In LOve
Jay Sea

• Informative
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They were not the only ones betrayed. I believe also the Cossacks were betrayed Britain and the U.S. because they fought against Russia to remain free. Then that is war. All is expediency.
In LOve
Jay Sea
The point in regard to these Chinese seamen is that the UK were not deporting them to meet a treaty obligation with an 'allly'(truly a terrible agreement). There was no obligation to deport, and seriously not allowing their families to know if their deportation.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Don't forget Alan Turing. Of course being British they could not deport him, but chemical castration is pretty bad. And it led to his death.

Now it seems he is a hero and on the 50 pound note.
I have never seen or handled a 50 pound note, they may as well have had a picture of a unicorn.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The secret deportations: how Britain betrayed the Chinese men who served the country in the war

They were deported without time to tell their families or access to legal appeal. Their families were not even informed by the authorities that they were deported.

Yeah I heard about this thing before, but more with the Polish who fought in the army etc. They were at the forefront of some of the major offensive operations like Normandy and Market-Garden, the tip of the spear. And in the aftermath of Communism taking over their homeland were widely thought to have earned their place in England, but after peace happened they were quietly shipped back to Communist Poland.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,017.00
Faith
Christian
I have never seen or handled a 50 pound note, they may as well have had a picture of a unicorn.

That's probably because a lot of people in the UK seem to treat 50 pound notes as all being counterfeit, or at least they used to. I remember arriving in Heathrow after a long hour flight to find half the shops in the terminal wouldn't take my notes because they'd recently changed the design or something, so I ended up buying a one pound bag of chips and a few other trivial items from other stores all on credit card.

Upvote 0