✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Retrial

"The retrial of Yeshua (Jesus Christ) is being undertaken by Orthodox Jews who believe that Yeshua was falsely accused. Christians believe that Jesus "had to die for the sins of the world" but did he also have to be falsely accused? The retrial will examine elements of Jewish and criminal law and matters of social justice that effect everyone. The retrial considers Biblical Commandments that require innocent men to be exonerated, those who speak evil against or condemn an innocent man must make restitution and bear witness of his innocence."

Reactions: DennisTate

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting article. It sounds like the author of the article (whoever that may be) is a believer.

As far as I can tell, Ariel Cohen Alloro is no believer, but thinks a retrial is in order, and may be a believer in the Messianic claim of Yeshua but not His divinity (or whatever).

He wrote a book about Jesus from a chasidic, kabbalistic and gematria point of view. Here is his website.

A retrial would be interesting but probably incendiary.

Maybe so. However, it might just end up seeing the Jews "own" Jesus and de-mystify/de-deify Him.

Who knows? I can't see any of it happening.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
As far as I can tell, Ariel Cohen Alloro is no believer, but thinks a retrial is in order, and may be a believer in the Messianic claim of Yeshua but not His divinity (or whatever).

He wrote a book about Jesus from a chasidic, kabbalistic and gematria point of view. Here is his website.

Maybe so. However, it might just end up seeing the Jews "own" Jesus and de-mystify/de-deify Him.

You never know, maybe wonderful things may come of it.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

I don't think Ariel Cohen is the author of the article but one of the subjects.

Upvote 0

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I found the article very moving. The words and music of "El Shaddai" played in my mind the whole time I was reading it.

For me, it is sufficient that, for the cause of justice and for the cause of peace between Jews and Christians that even one person of the Jewish faith is proposing the retrial, even if it never goes forward.

No Jew should ever have been branded a "Christ-killer". I see the "Christ-killer" every day. He's in my bathroom mirror. :(

Shalom, shalom to all my Jewish brothers and sisters...

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I thought this was old news and nothing ever came of it.
I've never heard of Ariel Cohen Alloro so I have no idea what he believes or doesn't believe.

From the article:

The Sanhedrin is now a functioning body.
That's certainly debatable.

Ariel Cohen invites everyone of good Faith to participate in the retrial, whether providing your name on the petition, or your comments, or your financial support it will enable us together to reach this goal of greater peace and understanding between Jews and Christians. This is a huge logistical undertaking but we only know to succeed. Those of Jewish lineage are invited to make the "Pidyon haBen" (redemption of the first born) to bring Yeshua's name back to the Jewish people, this is offered on many levels of participation.

The highest level of participation would be to complete the full amount of the Pidyon haBen of $2M. If you desire to make the full Pidyon haBen this would greatly expedite the retrial. The outstanding amount is the difference between what has already been collected and $2M. When the Pidyon haBen is completed, public notice will be made and progressive elements of the retrial will continue.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Upvote 0

jcpro

Jul 4, 2011
✟8,491.00
Faith
Judaism
It's probably best to leave this alone. There are no transcripts from the original trial and the sources available are not exactly clear cut beside being mostly sketchy and one sided. And it happened a long time ago with the corresponding layers of historical, emotional and dogmatic facts and fiction piled up a couple of miles high upon the whole affair.
I've visited a General Theology forum here and came out horiffied(!). It's better to agree to disagree and let the sleeping dogs lie.

Upvote 0

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I thought this was old news and nothing ever came of it.
I've never heard of Ariel Cohen Alloro so I have no idea what he believes or doesn't believe.

From the article:

That's certainly debatable.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Maybe it's a scam, but I still prefer to view this in a positive light and to accept the gesture of peace and anything else positive that it represents...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It may be a seed, whose time has come to grow in the minds of men.. both Jew and Gentile... May the orthodox Jews grab ahold of this and actually seriously consider it.

Nothing came of it....and nothing will. It simply isn't anything that interests Jews. Seems to be a one man show from Ariel Cohen Alloro.
The other problem is, even if there was interest from Jews, there is no
legitimate Sanhedrin with which to hold a trial.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Nothing came of it....and nothing will. It simply isn't anything that interests Jews. Seems to be a one man show from Ariel Cohen Alloro.
The other problem is, even if there was interest from Jews, there is no
legitimate Sanhedrin with which to hold a trial.
Disbutations have been held by Jewish scholars over the centuries on a variety of subjects.. This could be the next one.

Upvote 0

janwoG

My heart leads me to Messianic Judaism
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Thailand
✟48,946.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
If the retrial of Yeshua ends up declaring He is innocent, a great path to reconciliation would be very important for Messianic Judaism. However, Yeshua declared “ Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”John 8:58” Since the Divine Aspect of Yeshua is not recognized by Orthodox Jews, what would happen, if the Sanhedrin reconfirms His blasphemy?

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
If the retrial of Yeshua ends up declaring He is innocent, a great path to reconciliation would be very important for Messianic Judaism. However, Yeshua declared “ Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”John 8:58” Since the Divine Aspect of Yeshua is not recognized by Orthodox Jews, what would happen, if the Sanhedrin reconfirms His blasphemy?

It simply doesn't matter. Since we do not accept the NT as scripture, we don't accept the account of the first trial. Especially with it's contradictions to Jewish law.
If he was found innocent or guilty at the first trial, it's irrelevant to us.

Two, if they had a retrial, it would make no difference since Jesus has
no importance to Judaism. Perhaps it would make Christians and Messianics feel better, but it would have no impact on Judaism (except
maybe be reduce charges that the Jews killed Jesus).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
IF the orthodox Jews are holding the historical narrative up to the light of Jewish law to make a judgment on the validity and outcome.. then orthodox Jews should also honor those decisions, whatever they may be.. from the material witnesses [in this case NT]

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IF the orthodox Jews are holding the historical narrative up to the light of Jewish law to make a judgment on the validity and outcome.. then orthodox Jews should also honor those decisions, whatever they may be.. from the material witnesses [in this case NT]

what?

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It simply doesn't matter. Since we do not accept the NT as scripture, we don't accept the account of the first trial. Especially with it's contradictions to Jewish law.

The NT does not contradict Jewish law in regards the trial of Jesus. It records contradictions of Jewish law done by certain authorities of its time. That's the point. For years the anti-missionaries have used the obvious violations of Jewish law recorded in the NT as "proof" of its inaccuracy, completely missing the point that it is the violations of Jewish Law that are the main point in favour of Jesus.

If he was found innocent or guilty at the first trial, it's irrelevant to us.

I don't think it would be. If He was found innocent, it would be very relevant to us- Jews, Gentiles, everyone.

Two, if they had a retrial, it would make no difference since Jesus has
no importance to Judaism. Perhaps it would make Christians and Messianics feel better, but it would have no impact on Judaism (except
maybe be reduce charges that the Jews killed Jesus).

I don't think so. I honestly think that if a retrial was possible, and Jesus was found innocent, it would not make a difference to either religion, but it would make a massive difference to the relationship between the two.

I realize it is a natural reaction from certain sectors of Rabbinic Judaism to pretend that Christianity "doesn't matter to us", but in fact I think it does, and deep down everyone knows it. There is a "don't mention the J word and it will all go away" mentality amongst some portions of the community that really is just avoiding talking about the elephant in the room. That elephant is- if Christianity is right, then the Messiah has come and is coming back: get on the bus.

However, I don't think this trail will prove or disprove anything other than that Jesus was innocent. It will not prove His Messianic mission, nor His divinity. It will not prove the vital tenets of the Christian faith. It will just make it easier for everyone to get along.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand how it would make it easier to get along?

It allows Rabbinic Jews the chance to settle the matter in their own minds. This means that you can no longer get people that say that He was a bad man who deserved the punishment He got (as some have said), nor that He never even existed and so forth. This will ease Christian prejudices somewhat. Similarly, it would allow any apologies to be made if necessary, and allow the discussion of Jesus within Judaism to be extended beyond Jewish documentaries on the History Channel. This alone would radically change the dynamic of the relationship between the two religions. For centuries no one has been prepared to make a definitive statement on the behavior of the Sanhedrin in that era, and a lot of excuses and denials have been flying around, pretty much slapping the face of Christian history and relegating to the world of fantasy, which is never going to smooth the waters.

What seems to be forgotten is that this is an initiative started by a group of Rabbis, none of which are saying that He is God or messiah or anything like that. In other words, this is not an idea that came from the Vatican or similar to try to win street cred with the Rabbis. This could be an impulse from God Himself. A chance for a mitzvah. A tikkun. Surely an honest appraisal would be favorable in the eyes of God and He can open those sefirot and pour some light down.

I could go on. And on. However, I believe hardened hearts are the spirit of this age and nothing will happen.

Upvote 0