Not open for further replies.

Riberra

Jan 8, 2014
✟90,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
**The second death seem to concern the total destruction of the soul...

What causes you to think this? I see nothing that even hints at this.
Matthew 10:28 (KJV)
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

http://biblehub.com/kjv/matthew/10-28.htm

Revelation 20:14-15 (KJV)
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.**

15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:7-8 (KJV)
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iamlamad

Lamad
Jun 8, 2013
Home in Tulsa
✟101,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28 KJV: And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.**

15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:7-8 (KJV)
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Pulpit Commentary:
To destroy (ἀπολέσαι). The class of words to which this belongs denotes "utter and hopeless ruin; but they convey no idea whether the ruined object ceases to exist or continues a worthless existence" (Professor Agar Beet, in Expositor, IV. 1:28)

Gill's Commentary:
but are not able to kill the soul; which is immortal, and cannot be touched by the sword, by fire and [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], or any instruments of violence: it is immortal, it survives the body, and lives in a separate state, enjoying happiness and bliss, whilst the body is in a state of death: ...

but he is able to "destroy", that is, to torment and punish both body and soul "in hell", in everlasting burnings; for neither soul nor body will be annihilated;

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell—A decisive proof this that there is a hell for the body as well as the soul in the eternal world; in other words, that the torment that awaits the lost will have elements of suffering adapted to the material as well as the spiritual part of our nature, both of which, we are assured, will exist for ever

The preponderance of evidence tells us that even the lake of fire will not cause humans to cease to exist: they will just suffer terribly forever. They will still remember, which is a part of the soul.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but he is able to "destroy", that is, to torment and punish both body and soul "in hell", in everlasting burnings; for neither soul nor body will be annihilated;

The preponderance of evidence tells us that even the lake of fire will not cause humans to cease to exist: they will just suffer terribly forever. They will still remember, which is a part of the soul.

So you are saying Sin will exist forever then?

Upvote 0

Riberra

Jan 8, 2014
✟90,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Iamlamad said:
Riberra said:

Matthew 10:28 KJV: And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Pulpit Commentary:
To destroy (ἀπολέσαι). The class of words to which this belongs denotes "utter and hopeless ruin; but they convey no idea whether the ruined object ceases to exist or continues a worthless existence" (Professor Agar Beet, in Expositor, IV. 1:28)

Gill's Commentary:
but are not able to kill the soul; which is immortal, and cannot be touched by the sword, by fire and [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], or any instruments of violence: it is immortal, it survives the body, and lives in a separate state, enjoying happiness and bliss, whilst the body is in a state of death: ...

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell—A decisive proof this that there is a hell for the body as well as the soul in the eternal world; in other words, that the torment that awaits the lost will have elements of suffering adapted to the material as well as the spiritual part of our nature, both of which, we are assured, will exist for ever

So you don't believe that God can destroy both the body and soul ?

Romans 6:23 (KJV)

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

From Roman 6:23 we can understand the meaning of Revelation 20:6

Rev 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power,

You are surely aware that the last enemy that God will destroy is Death.
1 Corinthians 15:26 b

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Are you still convinced that when God mention that he can DESTROY both body and soul it mean something else ?

Upvote 0

Riberra

Jan 8, 2014
✟90,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iamlamad

Lamad
Jun 8, 2013
Home in Tulsa
✟101,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So you don't believe that God can destroy both the body and soul ?

Romans 6:23 (KJV)

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

From Roman 6:23 we can understand the meaning of Revelation 20:6

Rev 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power,

You are surely aware that the last enemy that God will destroy is Death.
1 Corinthians 15:26 b

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Are you still convinced that when God mention that he can DESTROY both body and soul it mean something else ?

Do you not understand God's definition for "death?" Death is no more than separation. At physical death, the spirit and soul separate from the body. Spiritual death is being separated from God. Eternal death is being FOREVER separated from God. It is NEVER ceasing to exist.

Yes, death is the last enemy - but God will NEVER destroy the 2nd death. The lake of fire is forever.

I tend to believe the commentaries on this one. I know we will be together with God forever, so I also believe that they will be separated from God forever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
r.

I tend to believe the commentaries on this one. I know we will be together with God forever, so I also believe that they will be separated from God forever.

Absolutely Correct Lamad.

The unrepentant will suffer in their sin, forever.

Sin and suffering will exist and endure forever, as is the will of God.

Upvote 0

Riberra

Jan 8, 2014
✟90,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...I know we will be together with God forever,
Agreed.
so I also believe that they will be separated from God forever.
There is no doubt than ceasing to exist (the body and soul destroyed) for those whose the name is not written in the Book of Life at the Great White Throne Judgement (Rev 20:11-15)(Rev 21:7-8) is being separated from God forever.

Revelation 14:9-11 tell us precisely about those who will be tormented day and night for ever and ever and this refer to those taking the mark and who worship the Beast(Antichrist) and his image during the Antichrist reign...Note that there is no mention of the second death for them... but eternal torments...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation%2014&version=KJV

Revelation 14

9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev20

Partial Preterist
Jun 16, 2014
✟13,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rev20 wrote:
except I cannot ignore the first resurrection for the saints that occurred shortly after the great tribulation of A.D. 70. There is simply too much evidence for it.

Can you elaborate on that?

I somehow missed this question by you, and stumbled across it while revisiting some of the threads. I will begin here, where the Lord is speaking of Israel:

"For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me." -- Isa 45:4

"Thus saith the Lord, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all. And I will bring forth a seed out of Jacob, and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains: and mine elect shall inherit it, and my servants shall dwell there." -- Isa 65:8-9

"And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" -- Luke 18:7-8

Here, Jesus is speaking of the great tribulation which he prophesied to occur within his generation:

"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." -- Matt 24:22-24

And shortly after those days were shortened, and before that generation was over, Christ said he would come to gather his elect:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven." -- Mark 13:26-27

And here Paul speaks of the elect as the remnant of Israel:

"Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace." -- Rom 11:5

"What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded." -- Rom 11:7

"As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes." -- Rom 11:28

Now to sainthood:

"Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;" -- Eph 3:8

If Paul is the least of all saints, where does that leave us? Are we greater than Paul? Equal to Paul? Not me.

Now to the apostles:

"For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men." -- 1Cor 4:9

Last? Last to what? That is an interesting choice of words from the Lord God Almighty (you don't think those are Paul's words, do you?) Maybe they were the last of the inspired writers? The last of the Saints?

And now to the chosen, which includes Paul:

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will," -- Eph 1:4-5

Now who else is holy and without blame? Try the 144,000 for being without blame:

"These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God." -- Rev 14:4-5

Now if they were the firstfruits unto God and the Lamb, who were these holy priests, some of which (maybe all) sit on thrones of judgement?

"And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. . . Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." -- Rev 20:4, 6

I tend to believe these, and the 144,000, are the same. We know from the gospels that the thrones of judgement over Israel were given to the disciples; and John personally stated that Christ had made him a king and priest:

"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." -- Rev 1:5-6

IP, there are many other passages on this topic, and all point to the Elect, the Saints, the Remnant, the 144,000, the Royal Priesthood, and the chosen few of Israel being one and the same.

:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.