-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Following Trump's failure in 2020 election and his undemocratic attempts to overturn election results there seems to be a worldwide tide against Right-wing Populism.

In Italy, Prime Minister Conte has been replaced and in Israel Prime Minister Netanyahu has been replaced.

Recently, the National Rally party had a poor showing in France's local elections:

Le Pen’s far right defeated in local elections shunned by two-thirds of French voters

And, in Germany, the Alternative for Germany party has the support of only 11% of voters:

Germans want political continuity in post-Merkel era | DW | 01.07.2021

There are attempts to impeach the president of Brazil.

A Bolsonaro impeachment is possible, albeit improbable

The majority in the Republican Party, however, do not seem to realize the dangers of Right-wing Poupulism and leaders continue to support Trump's conspiracies.

Will they derail the entire country?

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Andrewn

I would contend that the issue isn't anyone being against right wing populism so much as it's about the seeming agreement to a totally false narrative found among the lot of that group. Speaking for myself, I just find it hard to believe that so many of what I'd define as your right wing group, believe the stuff that comes out of the mouth of Donald Trump that they seem to just swallow and accept as true. They have literally made Donald Trump a demagogue. When's the last election that was lost by a sitting president that the followers of that president worked fervently to overturn the election that was lost. Or refused to accept the elected president as their president. Then you've got other Republican representatives such as Rep. Marjorie Green. While she currently seems to have calmed down in her spouting of what she believes, likely due to the public condemnation she's coming up against, she's been known to believe some pretty far out there stuff. Finally, the Republican party has put itself in a bad light for the 'majority' of the population in their continued fight against the ACA. The majority of the populace believes it to be the best health plan we've got going and while the GOP continues to rail against it, they have yet to even propose some better plan. Ten years now of hammering at how bad it is, and not a peep about what they can do that's better. They just want to tear it down without any kind of replacement and most people don't want to go back to the way things were.

If that right wing wants to gain momentum, then start putting your money where your mouth is and not just running your mouth. Remember the old adage, "Talk is cheap."

God bless,
Ted
Ted

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The USA is "derailed" ever since the administration prior to the Trump administration, opened the floodgates via the Pandora's box regarding "gay marriage" "gay adoption", and all things "homosexual rights".
So, following now in these footsteps, you have the current administration whose mantra is...>"if you are not currently a US Citizen, then have we got a border for you".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Following Trump's failure in 2020 election and his undemocratic attempts to overturn election results there seems to be a worldwide tide against Right-wing Populism.
...and much of it is fueled by claims that are pure fiction.

The majority in the Republican Party, however, do not seem to realize the dangers of Right-wing Poupulism and leaders continue to support Trump's conspiracies.
...and you know this to be so, how??

What source has informed you that "the majority" does not "realize" what you have speculated on?

LOL. No.

And since this rant was created out of thin air, not only will 'it' not happen, but we also have no reason to give it a second thought.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

In Italy, Prime Minister Conte has been replaced and in Israel Prime Minister Netanyahu has been replaced.

Recently, the National Rally party had a poor showing in France's local elections:

Le Pen’s far right defeated in local elections shunned by two-thirds of French voters

And, in Germany, the Alternative for Germany party has the support of only 11% of voters:

I think there’s a good chance that they will derail it. States with Republican legislatures are trying to make sure they stay in control by increasing control over voting, counting, and districting. Because of how the US government is set up, this can give them an outsize national influence.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think there’s a good chance that they will derail it. States with Republican legislatures are trying to make sure they stay in control by increasing control over voting, counting, and districting. Because of how the US government is set up, this can give them an outsize national influence.
You mean that states which have Republican legislatures are attempting to undo the changes that were made in 2020--sometimes illegally--by the people who wanted to get rid of Trump in anyway possible, just as some of them had said publicly was their objective.

"Vote harvesting," by which a party worker can go looking for someone who's disinterested in voting or incompetent and fill out that person's ballot for him or her, or letting votes received several days after election day be counted as valid, or accepting absentee ballots without the required matching signatures are just a few of the gimmicks that these Republican legislatures are attempting to reverse for the sake of election integrity.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Populism refers to a range of political stances that emphasise the idea of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite".

In the case of Trumpism, "the people" are being juxtaposed against the nation's intelligentsia--the coastal liberal elites in high tech industries, Wall Street, universities whose ideas help shape our nation's policies.

But the disconnect is that Trump used this populism to rob "the people" of needed revenue by giving huge tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans that fattened his own pockets and did nothing to help increase jobs or improve their lives. He gutted environmental and FDA regulations which protected their health and safety. He installed an Education Secretary who, in the area of student loans and funding for public schools, hurt our education system.

He lied by saying that he was "for the people" when he was for the corporations and big business. That's not populism, it's oligarchy.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Populism:
noun
any of various, often antiestablishment or anti-intellectual political movements or philosophies that offer unorthodox solutions or policies and appeal to the common person rather than according with traditional party or partisan ideologies.

grass-roots democracy; working-class activism; egalitarianism.

representation or extolling of the common person, the working class, the underdog, etc.:
First, are you sure you are using the right word for what you are trying to express?

Second, the far right is just as active in today's political atmosphere as the far left is. Both are after power - both see their message as true and accurate - both are unmovable - The ONLY difference being the widespread acceptance and promotion by the vast majority of main stream media.

The far left is just as dangerous to our nation as the far right is, just polar opposites.

• Agree
Reactions: miamited
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the case of Trumpism, "the people" are being juxtaposed against the nation's intelligentsia--the coastal liberal elites in high tech industries, Wall Street, universities whose ideas help shape our nation's policies.

But the disconnect is that Trump used this populism to rob "the people" of needed revenue by giving huge tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans that fattened his own pockets and did nothing to help increase jobs or improve their lives.
That seems to be a well-rehearsed refrain, but in fact tax cuts went to the middle class as well as, yes, to the corporations which create jobs. And employment did surge in those years after a long recession.

He installed an Education Secretary who, in the area of student loans and funding for public schools, hurt our education system.
Have you taken a look at the crowd Biden named to his cabinet? It's not a pretty comparison to the Trump cabinet. Joe or his handlers named one representative of just about every minority group imaginable, and the only qualification many of them brought to their respective positions was having been at one time or another in appointive or elective office.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Albion

regardless of their (lack of) qualifications.

So, your position is that the revolving door of Trump appointees were more qualified? From where I stand, the only 'qualification' for a Trump appointee was that they had to believe the lie and stand with whatever he said despite any evidence to the contrary that his thinking could be wrong

I mean let's take just one example. Bill Barr was touted as the best of the best. He replaced Sessions because Sessions wasn't loyal enough to Trump, but Barr...well Barr understood and was side by side with Trump in everything he was attempting to accomplish. Then one day Barr said that Trump was wrong about something. Uh-oh. There goes another rubber tree. Now, the golden attorney who once was the best is suddenly not qualified and the 'worst' of whatever he was among all men. Don't you get it? Trump is, was, and always has been a demagogue of his own mind. Sadly, it's what his father created him to be.

And that's just one example. Who can forget the flash in the pan 'greatest of the great' that was the 'mooch'. Speaking out against something that Trump believed was a death knell for anyone in his appointed cabinet. That's not a good 'qualification' for a cabinet or section appointee. They're supposed to be able to 'steer' the president by their better knowledge on specific subjects. But Trump honestly thinks of himself as smarter than everyone else. It's all in his gut. He has even told us so.

I mean really, we can each one look at every appointee that Trump ever installed. They were, at the time of their appointment told to us to be the best. It was even Trump's own words that he would appoint the best of the best for such positions during his campaigning. However, if anyone should make an attempt to give him 'better' advice that didn't fit with Trump's own understanding of things...out they went. That, to you, is more qualified appointees? Come on.

Maybe there are people among minorities that do have some good ideas and a better working knowledge on a particular subject than President Biden. What I do see is that President Biden doesn't hold loyalty to his ideals as a necessary qualification.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@Albion

So, your position is that the revolving door of Trump appointees were more qualified?
I cannot vouch for every last one, and I wouldn't classify all of Joe's picks as unqualified, but yes, Trump's were better choices, if what we want is competence or experience with the work of the department to which they were assigned.

From where I stand, the only 'qualification' for a Trump appointee was that they had to believe the lie and stand with whatever he said despite any evidence to the contrary that his thinking could be wrong
Well, if that is indeed the POV you've chosen for your own, you've explained to me where you stand, but it also means that there's no possibility of continuing this discussion on the issues.

I mean let's take just one example. Bill Barr was touted as the best of the best. He replaced Sessions because Sessions wasn't loyal enough to Trump, but Barr...well Barr understood and was side by side with Trump in everything he was attempting to accomplish.
Now, wait a moment. Bill Barr had held that position in a previous administration, and not one with the same political outlook, so that doesn't counter my view in the least.

And that's just one example. Who can forget the flash in the pan 'greatest of the great' that was the 'mooch'.

And the Mooch was "out" in only a matter of days after showing himself to be irresponsible. Let's see if Biden does that with any of the people he picked. Several of them have already looked foolish in their public statements but are apparently secure in their cabinet posts. If they were chosen as tokens, in order to recognize various special interest groups in society, why would incompetence matter?????

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
They did and now we are getting back on track on the world stage. Biden is much more moderate and less inflamatory that his predesesser. I for one am breathing a sigh of relief.

I prefer politicians who seek compromise. I hope the Republians can work with the President on win/win legislature instead of seeking victory at all costs. nobody wins that way.

That being said, I believe the Demorcats are more willing to copromise that the opposition. I think that is what is holding them back is their desire to NOT compromise and nothing gets done in the mean time.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I prefer politicians who seek compromise. I hope the Republians can work with the President on win/win legislature instead of seeking victory at all costs. nobody wins that way.

You'd better tell that to Biden then, because his promise to seek bipartisanship has been called his big lie.

And we don't have to concoct some crazy conspiracy theory in order say this because the whole nation witnessed Biden breaking that promise several times and not long after the pledge was made by him.

That being said, I believe the Demorcats are more willing to copromise that the opposition.
And that must be why they vote in lock step, with no one allowed to break ranks, on critical bills in the House of Representatives. In fact, Pelosi does not allow dissent. She has ordered the casting of votes on behalf of members who aren't even present and doesn't permit amendments to pending legislation from the floor of the House after one of her committees has voted out a piece of proposed legislation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Albion

You'd better tell that to Biden then, because his promise to seek bipartisanship has been called his big lie.

And yet Biden has held meetings with other party reps several times. Biden even compromised some of what he wanted in the recent infrastructure debate because he allowed the GOP reps to have a say.

And that must be why they vote in lock step, with no one allowed to break ranks, on critical bills in the House of Representatives.

Oh there are dissenting Democratic votes quite often. No one accuses them of being 'fake Democrats' or threatens there position in the house. Yes, Rep. Pelosi does try to get all Democrats to see things her way on important legislation, but no, there is no such condemnation for those that do, as there is in the GOP.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@Albion

And yet Biden has held meetings with other party reps several times.

"Held meetings" does not represent bipartisanship. His few meetings are apparently done because his handlers thought he should LOOK open to compromise since even the media that almost always fall in line with whatever the Democratic Party wants was beginning to notice and question his lack of bipartisanship.

Biden even compromised some of what he wanted in the recent infrastructure debate because he allowed the GOP reps to have a say.
"To have a say?" Is that your idea of bipartisanship? Allowing the other party to have its say before you blow it off??

But this is not always about members of Congress. Only days ago, Biden invited Western State governors to a confab about wildfires plaguing that region. He invited the Democratic governors, that is, and did not invite the Republican governors although the majority of the wildfires this season have been occurring in their states. There was no apology and no explanation from the White House.

there are dissenting Democratic votes quite often.
No, there aren't. Not on measures of any importance. Maybe on some bill naming an airport it could happen. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Albion,

No, there aren't. Not on measures of any importance. Maybe on some bill naming an airport it could happen.

I'm guessing it would be a waste of time to pull up legislative voting records.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Being a lobbyist should disqualify someone for a Cabinet position.

Suing the EPA to get regulations abolished should disqualify someone from heading (and trying to hobble) the EPA.

A high school graduate with only private school experience should not run the Dept. Of Education, even if there was a $2 million campaign contribution.

Azar, lobbyist and insulin profiteer, initially wanted to charge people for the COVID vaccine.

Trump dredged the swamp for his Cabinet. Worst Cabinet ever.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That seems to be a well-rehearsed refrain, but in fact tax cuts went to the middle class as well as, yes, to the corporations which create jobs. And employment did surge in those years after a long recession.

No, it didn’t.
Unemployment Rate
All Employees, Total Nonfarm

There is no surge in that data.

You’ve been shown this data numerous times, yet continue to tell blatant falsehoods about it. I don’t know if you don’t understand the data. I don’t know if you keep forgetting about it. I don’t know if you deliberately lie. But either way, nobody reading this thread should trust your claims about anything related to employment or the Great Recession.

ETA:
Labor Force Participation Rate

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The world is headed back in the right direction. Christians and other religions should stay out of politics. And stop forcing people to act a certain way. Some Conservative Christians refuse to accept this and voted for Trump. But that made them look week and brain washed. Because Trump brainwashed a lot of people.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You'd better tell that to Biden then, because his promise to seek bipartisanship has been called his big lie. And we don't have to concoct some crazy conspiracy theory in order say this because the whole nation witnessed Biden breaking that promise several times and not long after the pledge was made by him.
Bipartisanship is overrated, especially when the other "party" has fallen in the grips of Right-wing populism. (I do not defend Left-wing populism, either, but this is not a significant movement in the US.)

The filibuster adds an unnecessary hurdle when the president, the house of Representatives, and the senate majorities are all from the same party.

Last edited:
Upvote 0