Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s called “Failure to Launch,” and its implications are far worse than you might realize.

Back in the 1980s, the Toys R Us company aired a television commercial with the tagline, “I don’t want to grow up. I’m a Toys R Us kid.” Though Toys R Ushas since declared bankruptcy, its marketing message has nevertheless found a sizeable audience of American men in their twenties, thirties, and beyond. Broadly referred to as the Failure to Launch syndrome, it could be defined as “a phenomenon that refers to those young adults who remain dependent on their parents rather than establishing a separate and independent life as self-sufficient adults.”

It is important to recognize that there is a distinctly Catholic perspective on this issue because it has wide-reaching implications for the Church. The following series of articles will address those implications and what can be done about them. The next will address the reluctance to practice the Catholic faith, followed by the reluctance to lead. But first, we will discuss the primordial concern: the reluctance to grow up.

Continued below.
The Reluctance Of Males To Become Men: Failure to Launch

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's sooooo frustrating to watch. Especially as a guy who's on the other side of this. I don't have it all figured out but I've done enough to know it's not impossible or even hard the way these guys act like it is. It's creeping Marxism. Really.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not a great time to be trying to find a job right not. Covid has put a lot of people out of a job. Not everyone copes with not having a job very well. I don't find it too much of a problem as I've been self employed for about the last 30 years, so I create my own oppotunities. Unfortunately, were not all built like that and that's when it gets really hard for some of us and it's getting really bad right now for some. Many women will just dump a guy who can't find a job, if they never married each other in the first place, because the relationship never had that much committment in the first place.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Well they're all too busy trying to become women! :D

And considering that personal responsibility, working hard, providing for a family, etc. all the things that were just assumed were American values, are now all considered to be racist or complicit in some "phobia" or other that the woke don't want to violate, we have a whole generation of weak, snively, "girly men" in the works.

• Winner
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Society has a bigger fault in this than society wants to own up to. It's easy to blame all this on men---but take a look at how men are treated in this society:

Men are depicted as weak, scatterbrained, bumbling fools on television, in motion pictures, in popular fiction, as opposed to women, who are shown as strong, independent, confident, and yes, even macho.

Women, in social settings, can flirt shamelessly with men, send all kinds of signals, and it's all considered good fun. If a man does the same thing, he's viewed as a nasty creep at best, and a sexual predator at worst. Men have ended up getting arrested for merely smiling at a woman, or responding to a woman's flirtations.

Marriage, by and large, is a losing proposition for men if the vow gets strained or weak; the courts favor women over men 98% of the time in divorce settlements, so some poor slob who catches his wife out with another man and confronts his wife about it can get slapped with an incompatibility suit, and he ends up losing the house, the car, the dog, his kids, and his life's savings, and can literally be put into a state of abject poverty, having to pay alimony and child support as well as earn enough money to provide himself with a place to live and food to eat.

A lot of marriage-age young men, observing all this, have opted out of the traditional roles of provider and protector, and who can blame them? Who wants to put themselves into a position where they can literally lose everything?

The standard mantra of the women's liberation movement since the late 1960s has been "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"; and now women all complain that they can't find any guys who are willing to step up to the plate....they just remain overgrown boys for life. Well, you can't have it both ways. You can either have men who are men because they are treated like men and are respected as men....or you can have men who are treated like moronic children and are exploited and taken advantage of, and they in turn decide to not play the game at all. Society has to make up its mind, one way or the other.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,584,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well it seems it's all deliberate. You can't have strong, confident men (or anyone, really) because that's not creating the instability needed in society for the cultural revolution.
They call that toxic masculinity.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,016.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Marriage, by and large, is a losing proposition for men if the vow gets strained or weak; the courts favor women over men 98% of the time in divorce settlements, so some poor slob who catches his wife out with another man and confronts his wife about it can get slapped with an incompatibility suit, and he ends up losing the house, the car, the dog, his kids, and his life's savings, and can literally be put into a state of abject poverty, having to pay alimony and child support as well as earn enough money to provide himself with a place to live and food to eat..

That's how the Barbie joke came about. A bloke was looking for a Barbie Doll for his six year old daughter.

He asked the shop attendant how much they were. She replied, buffing her nails, and not very interested "Sir, Beach Barbie is $25, BBQ Barbie is $25, Formal Barbie is $25, Air Force Barbie is $25 and Divorced Barbie is $250."

He did a double take. "$250 for Divorced Barbie! How come she costs so much more than the others??"

The girl shrugged and replied "Sir, Divorced Barbie comes with Ken's House, Ken's Car, Ken's Dog, Ken's Boat..."

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's how the Barbie joke came about. A bloke was looking for a Barbie Doll for his six year old daughter.

He asked the shop attendant how much they were. She replied, buffing her nails, and not very interested "Sir, Beach Barbie is $25, BBQ Barbie is $25, Formal Barbie is $25, Air Force Barbie is $25 and Divorced Barbie is $250."

He did a double take. "$250 for Divorced Barbie! How come she costs so much more than the others??"

The girl shrugged and replied "Sir, Divorced Barbie comes with Ken's House, Ken's Car, Ken's Dog, Ken's Boat..."

Yeah, that's just about how it breaks down in all too many cases.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
When I first met my fiance almost 2 years ago and we started dating, I didn't want to get into any clown shows. I knew that after the life I had lived and a failed marriage that I would much sooner stay single forever and happily so if the woman wasn't right. So I decided the truth was best. I told her my expectations in a woman is that she will act like a woman and accept a woman's role, and I, as a man, would act like a man and accept a man's role. I thought for sure that in today's world that would render me forever single (and so be it) but she turned out to be a diamond in a sea of coal. She's a woman every woman should aspire to be.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums