Canada
Visit site
✟8,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I found this section to be interesting:
(1) Lay not too great a stress upon controverted opinions, which have godly men, and,
especially, whole churches, on both sides.
(2) Lay not too great a stress on those controversies that are ultimately resolvable into
philosophical uncertainties, as are some unprofitable controversies about freewill, the
manner of the Spirit’s operations and the Divine decrees.
(3) Lay not too great a stress on those controversies that are merely verbal, and which
if they were anatomized, would appear to be no more. Of this sort are far more (I speak it
confidently upon certain knowledge) that make a great noise in the world, and tear the
Church, than almost any of the eager contenders that ever I spoke with do seem to discern,
or are like to believe.
(4) Lay not too much stress on any point of faith which was disowned by or unknown
to the whole Church of Christ, in any age, since the Scriptures were delivered to us.
(5) Much less should you lay great stress on those of which any of the more pure or judicious
ages were wholly ignorant.
(6) And least of all should you lay much stress on any point which no one age since the
apostles did ever receive, but all commonly held the contrary.
I know it is said that a man may subscribe the Scripture, and the ancient creeds, and yet
maintain Socinianism, or other heresies. To which I answer, So he may another test which
your own brains shall contrive: and while you make a snare to catch heretics, instead of a
test for the Church’s communion, you will miss your end; and the heretic, by the slipperiness
of his conscience, will break through, and the tender Christian may possibly be ensnared.
And by your new creed the Church is like to have new divisions, if you keep not close to
the words of Scripture.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Conductor: I love that book and all of Richard Baxter's writings. All the Puritans seemed to have a deep understanding of God's Word.

I'm going to have to agree with you.

Upvote 0