Apr 17, 2004
Ankeny, Iowa
Visit site
✟8,437.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The notes are all very good. I also have a copy of the NIV Reformation Bible and the notes and other extras are better in the NIV than the ESV Bible. Also, the NIV includes the Westminster articles, the Canons of Dordt, and more that the ESV does not. If you are already familiar with these documents, I wouldn't worry so much about it.

If the ESV scripture was inserted into the NIV extras, the total package would be (IMHO) ideal. As it is, if you are well-versed in Reformed theology (I know you are) you may want to consider getting a more basic Bible. I love my Reformation ESV Bible, but I don't have a background of knowledge like many others in this forum. The chief end of man is something I had never considered until a year or two ago, and that was from reading "Desiring God" by Piper, not even a PCA pastor! I need the notes and am learning as I go.

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Delighting in His Goodness
Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you talking about the Bible that was formerly the New Geneva Study Bible? My father has one and it is very helpful, informative, and Reformed (duh). But, I wish that I had one too. Try eBay. I know that they often have the Reformed Study Bible on auction for much lower than other places.

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
that's a great idea. We already have a few New Genevas (or whatever they're called these days) as well as an ESV, i figure between the tow, we have a do it yourself ESV Reformed Study Bible already...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tertiumquid

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Protestant
firenze said:
Ooh I have this in hardbound.. very worth it I think. I would have preferred the New Geneva but since those are out of print, it's the next best thing

Maybe it's just me (probably is)- I have The New Geneva Study Bible, and aside from some of the helpful "theological Notes" (the articles scattered throughout), I don't find the verse notes all that helpful. time and again I go to look up a text, and the note is either fairly sparse or non-existent. I would have liked more verse notes on the TULIP doctrines at key verses, and more expanded notes on those verses that appear to speak against TULIP doctrines.

Overall, I think the publishers could have put more into the verse notes and the introductions to each book.

This is just my 2 cents.

Regards,
James Swan

Upvote 0

TheReformist

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
✟7,637.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
Highlighers can be useful to point out TULIP like verses...which if you afrim it and believe if I suppose the whole thing is TULIP like... just my thoughts but an idea is to get a colored pencil and one specific color and go through and point out specific verses that deal with one of the points and use that color for T and another for U an so on.

Upvote 0