Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I keep saying: sow the wind, reap the whirlwind. So now The Red Hen is having daily protests and is closed for more than a week.

The owner polled the staff just before kicking Sarah Sanders and her family out of the restaurant. They are no doubt hourly workers and heavily dependant on tips, at least the serving staff. Do you think they'd have made the same decision if they knew they'd be without income for a week?

LEXINGTON, VA — A quiet Tuesday afternoon here transformed into a raucous demonstration when people gathered outside the Red Hen to protest the restaurant's treatment of Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Some carried enormous Trump flags and donned red "Make America Great Again" hats. Others carried signs asking for tolerance and civility. And as the action escalated, many just turned up to watch.

Lexington, a small Virginia town tucked in the Shenandoah Mountains, earned national attention when Stephanie Wilkinson, the owner of the Red Hen, asked Sanders to leave the restaurant last Friday night.

"I’m appalled at the way they treated the press secretary, and I think if people don’t make a stand, that kind of stuff will continue around the state and around the country," said Ian McDonald, 34, of Accomack County. "So we've got to send a message that it’s not acceptable."

MacDonald was one of the first to set up shop outside the Red Hen on Tuesday. Protests had been planned for that afternoon in advance of the restaurant's usual opening at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesdays.

But soon, word spread that the restaurant would stay closed. Justin Peery, the owner of Good Place Farms Bed & Breakfast — which hosted the Sanders family last week — said Wilkinson will not reopen the restaurant until July 5.

Lexington overwhelmed by protests after Sanders' visit to the Red Hen

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I keep saying: sow the wind, reap the whirlwind. So now The Red Hen is having daily protests and is closed for more than a week.

The owner polled the staff just before kicking Sarah Sanders and her family out of the restaurant. They are no doubt hourly workers and heavily dependant on tips, at least the serving staff. Do you think they'd have made the same decision if they knew they'd be without income for a week?

Is there anybody scheduled for picketing the protestors of the Red Hen stand down?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That’s too bad. MAGA by intimidation.

Oh, I'm not condoning it. I'm certainly not happy for those hourly workers. But when you decide to take that first step into the political realm, you often lose total control over where it goes after. As we see here. As we saw with the NFL kneeling debacle. For my part it's often wise to be very, very careful about what you make political.

The Left seems exquisitely slow in learning that lesson. They want to make every facet of life political. Well, then, here they are.

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That’s too bad.
Too bad you can't close this thread.
MAGA by intimidation.
It is like you were told in the other thread, the thing was not well thought out. They are a business and it bought back scenes of white only restaurants which was rejected yrs ago. For good reason.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That’s too bad. MAGA by intimidation.

I would feel worse for them if they hadn’t been so exceptional as to bring the original situation to the public's attention to begin with. The owner's tweet bragging about kicking Sanders out went viral, and people began asking her about it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, I'm not condoning it. I'm certainly not happy for those hourly workers. But when you decide to take that first step into the political realm, you often lose total control over where it goes after. As we see here. As we saw with the NFL kneeling debacle. For my part it's often wise to be very, very careful about what you make political.

The Left seems exquisitely slow in learning that lesson. They want to make every facet of life political. Well, then, here they are.

I wonder if the folks in the Trump administration would make the same choices if they knew they'd become social pariahs for doing so.

I would feel worse for them if they hadn’t been so exceptional as to bring the original situation to the public's attention to begin with. The owner's tweet bragging about kicking Sanders out went viral, and people began asking her about it.

It was a waiter, not the owner. And I agree that the waiter shouldn't have said anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if the folks in the Trump administration would make the same choices if they knew they'd become social pariahs for doing so.

Sorry, that doesn't follow. The Left is trying to MAKE it follow, but Americans are rejecting it, and will reject it. We don't make regular Americans "social pariahs" because we disagree with them politically.

Well. Most of us don't. So when we see people do that, we actually do the better thing: we protest. Democratically. Now the restaurant has the backlash, which is regrettable, but which the owner really should have seen coming.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
redhen.png

Get woke, go broke.

It was a waiter, not the owner. And I agree that the waiter shouldn't have said anything.

Source?

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
A previous thread was closed on the same subject. Can't find it now. Free in Christ closed it at the OP request which i believe was Hammster.

Oh my bad. Didn't realize that.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

And by the way: as a proponent of free market capitalism--I endorse this. IOW I am not in favor of the gov't forcing bakers to make gay wedding cakes. The corrective for people who don't like it is not to frequent Christian bakery shops that won't bake them and to make bad reviews. So, the same goes here. If you don't like The Red Hen's response, let your voice be heard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Good that they may have a price to pay for being so nasty. And I'm sure that the protesters from the right side will not be violent as some we have seen from the left. Probably 35 to 40% of her business are conservatives. I hope not one ever returns there to eat again as I know I would not.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As long as what they're doing isn't illegal or dangerous, I have no problem with Trump supporters coming across as intolerant hypocrites.
They ran the law-abiding out and bragged about it afterward. Not only that they followed the party to a different location where the harassment continued. Sanders and Hubby went home.

So how does that make Trump supporters intolerant hypocrites? Keep in mind this is not an isolated incident. It has happened to others on team Trump. We have seen the reports where the pack of lib dogs shouting at the female simply sitting at the restaurant. Do you expect conservatives to do nothing? Just take it? Happy to disappoint you. It is your side which condemned the blacks for the sit-ins at white-only eat places in the south.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They ran the law-abiding out and bragged about it afterward. Not only that they followed the party to a different location where the harassment continued. Sanders and Hubby went home.

Mike Huckabee is still the only one claiming that. The B&B owner can't confirm it because he wasn't there to witness it.

Upvote 0